Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda RX-8 Problems and Solutions

Comments

• Had the car two months and the trunk release doesn't work!!! Anybody else have this problem?? Also smelling like something burning underneath the car, possibly connected?
  • mon1mon1 Posts: 2
    I've had my '05 RX-8 for a little over of a month now, and it has been in the shop for 5 days. The auto trans won't properly shift from 3rd to 4th gear. I've had it as fast as 80mph, and it still won't shift into 4th gear. The service dept admits they believe there is a problem, however the computer diagnostics aren't showing anything. Then yesterday I received a call from the the service mgr, who had just talked to Mazda. The Mazda rep told him the car has a memory driven tranmisson, and bases the shift pattern on the driver's driving style. OKay, this is totally illogical to me. YOur driving pattern is never the same - from city to open road, etc. HELP!!!!!! Suggestions????
  • I'M A BRAND NEW OWNER OF A 2004 RX-8 AND I HAVE TO SAY I LOVE THE CAR BUT I HAVE A BIG PROBLEM AND HAVE NO SOLUTION. THE SALESMAN AND HIS MANAGER TOOK CARE OF ME I WENT IN LOOKING AT THE RX-8 I TRADED A 2001 SS CAMERO 5.7 V8 STRONG MOTOR AND BEFORE THAT I OWNED THE 2000 RAM AIR 5.6 W6 PKG BOTH BIG MOTORS WHEN BUYING THE RX-8 I NEVER BROUGHT UP GAS AT ALL THE STICKER SAID 18/24 WELL BOTH GUYS MADE THE STATEMENT THAT I WOULD BE GETTING INTO A NEWER CAR FAST SPORTY AND WOULD SAVE MONEY ON GAS. NOW I PUT 93 OCTANE IN EVERYTHING I OWN SO THAT MADE NO DIFFERENCE TO ME AT ALL. BUT I'M ON MY 10TH TANK OF GAS SINCE 1-20-05 I'M ONLY GETTING 10/14 THATS A FAR CRY FROM WHAT I WAS TOLD. THE SALESMAN CLAIM THEY HAVE NEVER HEARD OF A PROBLEM BUT THE SERVICE DEPT. SAYS ALL RX-8 OWNERS COMPLAIN. WHAT SHOULD I DO THIS IS CLEARLY FALSE ADVERTISEMENT AND EVEN TOLD THEM THAT I TRAVELED ALOT IN THE STATE OF FL?
  • I JUST BOUGHT A 2004 RX-8 6-SPEED IT ONLY HAS 10.000 MILES THE DEALER TOLD ME AFTER I MADE THE DEAL ONLY BECAUSE I HAD TO SIGN A PAPER STATING I WAS AWARE. THAT THIS CAR WAS A MAZDA BUY BACK AND THE PROBLEM WAS THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT THEY DID FIX IT I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IT WAS BUT I HAVE HEARD A LOT OF PROBLEMS WITH THAT. MY ONLY PROBLEM IS IT DRINKS A LOT OF GAS I GET 10/14 AND STICKER SAID 18/24?
  • UNLESS DAD HAS OWNED BITH HE SHOULD NOT MAKE THAT CHOICE FOR YOU. THE RX-8 RATES BETTER THAN THE 350Z AND IT HAS A LOT OF SAFETY FEATURES IT HAS 6 AIR BAGS
  • I WANT YOU TO KNOW A STUDY WAS DONE ON WHAT COLOR OF CAR GOT THE MOST SPEEDING TICKETS AND OF COURSE WE ALL SAID RED BUT ITS NOT ACCORDING TO FLORIDA HIGHWAY PATROL AND ALL POLICE DEPARTMENTS THE TICKET CAR IS WHITE. I HAVE HAD 3 RED CARS IN A ROW FOR OVER 9 YEARS 2001-SS-CAMERO 2002 RAM AIR AND NOW THE RED RX-8 NO TICKETS KNOCK ON WOOD
  • I'M SORRY BUT IM A FLORIDA GIRL TOO WHO JUST BOUGHT MY RX-8 6 SPEED 4 WEEKS AGO AND MPG IS THE WORST I HAVE EVER SEEN AND I'VE OWNED NOTHING BUT FAST RACE CARS SS-CAMERO-Z-28 CAMERO AND A RAM AIR ALL V-8'S VERY POWER FULL AND THIS CAR IS KILLING ME I'M GETTING 10/14 CITY/HWY AND STICKER SAYS 18/24 AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED THIS IS FALSE ADVERTISEMENT AND BELIEVE ME I WILL GET TO THE BOTTOM OF IT THE SALESMAN EVEN TOLD ME I WOULD GET BETTER MILEAGE THAN MY 5.7 CAMERO I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT ROTARY ENGINES EXCEPT THERE FAST AND EAT GAS.
  • I BOUGHT MY 2004 RX-8 AND IT SAYS 18/24 BUT IM ONLY GETTING 10/14 I'M NOT HAPPY AT ALL WITH IT AT ALL AND I HAVE 10.000 MILES I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT THE GAS IS THAT BAD.
  • I have been thinking about the benefits of a lease...What made you decide on a lease? If you don't mind me asking, what are the terms of your lease? I was thinking of holding out until there is a turbo-RX8, but a lease woiuld allow me to get into an RX8 now and trade up when (IF?) the turbo ever gets added. Your thoughts?

Thank you,

Joe
  • Anyone know why the auto climate control is not available in North America? It seems to be near or at the root cause of the A/C cold-cool cycling. Seems to me that if the car is made for the auto climate control, North America should have it as an option at least and preferred as a standard option to alleviate the cold-cool cycling.
  • civilcivil Posts: 1
    We are considering buying an RX8 and have read the problems listed here.

We have been told the oil light problem was corrected with a recall and change of the oil pan, therefore the new 2004 car we are considering buying would not have this problem. Is that true?

In addition, we were told there was a recall in June and the gas-air mixture was changed to solve the failure-to-start problem after cold shutdowns. Is that true? Does it work?

We were told that the procedure in the Mazda manual to start a flooded car does, in fact, start the car when it seems unable to start -- unless the spark plugs are badly fouled. Is that true?
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    All cars produced in 2004 were the "first year" models. The oil pan was changed on the production line around April 2004. Check the build date on the door jam. Be aware some dealers might be tempted to pass off an early production car as "brand new", as technically, if it was never sold, it is. The new oil pan did fix the problem. Also be aware there are "buy back" cars still out there. There is probably nothing wrong with them that can't be fixed by the dealer performing the oil pan fix and/or the "M" flash as required. Still, caveat emptor.

The fuel-air mixture change you refer to was one of three, if memory serves. You want to make sure you have the "M" flash. This can be done to any production date car, and any authorized dealer can do it. The "M" flash went a long way to correct the flooding issure, but you can still flood the car. Hot plugs in the winter help as well. The "M" flash added a delay in the cold rev. up on starting, and that made the biggest difference to avoiding flooding, not the mixture change (previous flashes would try to rev. up the engine immediatly, and if it wasn't actually running that would flood it).

The car can be started once flooded, but it requires patience and perseverence. A good battery is necessary as it takes a few minutes of cranking (in bursts as per the manual). Fouled plugs is a primary cause after too much fuel - and too much fuel is a cause of fouled plugs. Plug heat range is a contributing factor. If you live in the south, you shouldn't need to change plugs, but if you live in the north changing the plugs for winter can greatly reduce fouling and flooding.
  • If I had known then what I know now about the RX8 I would never have bought it, do a search on some of my posts, Mazda has the worst customer service group I ever ran into, I am waiting on a lemon law judgement against them, my car idles very bad, the service mgr. testified it does exist and says it has a miss and cannot be fixed.

I also complained to mazda that I purchased mine after the H/P by back settlement, the window sticker was not changed to reflect the down-rated H/P Mazda says sorry, you should have been told, and by the way, I never had a short start problem until Mazda had the dealer try to avoid the court apperance by putting a new flash on it, there were two listed on the notification from Mazda, it said if the "M" was present nothing was to be done,it had the m on it but Mazda wanted them to try something else, don't recall at the moment what it was but it did nothing for the idle but caused the short start problem.

I am only waiting for the judges decission so I can get rid of it and i will never buy another Mazda.

I would seriously avoid the RX8.
  • Hello, as I read through this site, many people have the same problem. POOR FUEL MPG!!! I would like to Perhaps start a class action law suit. There are so many people that feel lied to. I feel the same way. I've put 27,000 miles on my car sence Aug of 2004. I have spent a retirement on fuel. "ha ha" Let me know what you think..
  • I suggest if your putting on that many miles and are concerned about milage that you consider a Toyota Prius. The whole reason that i bought an 8 is for the pure enjoyment of driving. The fact that i may spend around 5% more for gas over the year compared to, whatever dosnt concern me. Not that i have money to burn.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    I'm not a lawer, but I think you're wasting your time. The published figures are from the US govt. not Mazda. They are the mileage obtained by following the govt. testing procedure, are required to be reported as measured, and were NEVER claimed as what you may get. In fact they state quite clearly "your mileage may vary from the quoted numbers".

I wish people would stop using figures for what they are not intended. The mileage figures were intended to be a govt. figure - for whatever that is worth!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,897
    Yup, I completely agree. You'd have to sue the government ... and you KNOW how that will end up.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• Hi Joe,
    This is my third RX8. I went with the lease to reduce my monthly payments went from 585 to 335 and got a 24 month term. I usually turn my cars over every two years or less so the length of the lease fit me fine. At the time Mazda was providing a lot of factory money on short term leases. I like the car, not as much as I liked my RX7 (93) but it is nice. Gas mileage stinks IMO. I average 19-20 when I don't push the car. Good luck on your decision. If you can get a short term lease it probably is a good way to go. Otherwise buy. Tony
  • Well .. my RX8 started out at about 18/24 but now I'm down to 15/19 .. and that is driving conservatively. I'm about to throw in the towel and get a Prias.
  • Are you using premium or mid range gas? I use mid range and do not get a difference in mileage. I also turn off the TCS system. It seems to help. Good luck with your choice...A prius from an RX8. I would think you will be frustrated with the performance. Good luck whatever you decide.
    Tony B
This discussion has been closed.