Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda RX-8 Problems and Solutions

Comments

• in the owner's manual :)
  • Does anyone else encounter vibration when your in second gear. When im reving around 5,000 in second the vibration is much greater then any other gear.

Comments

Thanks
  • trispectrispec Posts: 305
    While turning or going straight or both? I was going to guess it's the LSD, but then mine vibrates worse at lower RPMs.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    5000 RPM is just above port transition. We know from measurements the air/fuel ratio is disturbed there (it falls lean). It may be that second gear (being such a low ratio) magnifies the engine response to a disturbed air/fuel ratio resulting in noticabley higher vibration.

With so many gear/RPM choises just use another. Mazda may fix that with "yet another" reprogram. Is your car up to date with its' PCM flash? Some of the flashes made the port transitions worse, some made them better.
  • This is my fourth update post with almost 3 years (Bought July of 2003)and 27000 miles on a GT model with automatic transmission. Car is running well with the bugs worked out of it. A/C issue fixed by installation of a new A/C unit. I recently moved from NJ to Florida and A/C still works well. No problems with auto trans or oil pressure light others have mentioned in their posts. The original Bridgestone tires made it to 27000 miles-very noisey and lots of vibration-don't get the Bridgestones. Just swithced to Avon Tech M550 M & S tires from Tirerack. Much quieter tire, though not as sharp handling in corners but, overall a big ride and noise reduction improvment. Will have to see how they wear over time. Have learned to let car warm up before shutting it off or it will flood-as most posts mention. Getting up to 22-24 mpg on highway. Only about 16-18 mpg around town. Lots of brake dust on the front rims, hard to keep clean. I enjoy the car alot more now that the early bugs have been worked out.
  • trispectrispec Posts: 305
    Fantastic. My 2005 RX-8 AT with 9000 miles had all the bug fixes at the factory and I've been very happy.

I switched to the Avon Tech after only 4000 miles on the Bridgestones. Love'm to for the quite smooth ride. On good road surfaces there is absolutely no noise other that the wind.

Question: Does your RX-AT have the little engine knock or marbles noise below 3000 RPM? I use 93 octane Shell Super Premium and there is still the occasional noise. No check engine light or loss of power has ever occurred.
  • as i recall, staright line only.

LSD?

Thanks
  • Car is : late 04 6 M GT ..FUlly flashed.

So you figure there may be another flash in the works.

Thanks
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    "LSD?"

Limited Slip Differential
  • I have an 04 6-speed. In the last couple of weeks, I have been having problems with heat and A/C. I get hot air both on vent and with the A/C on (outside and re-circ). I hear a buzz in the AM radio when lights are on. And about three weeks ago the main dashboard display went haywire (flashing all kinds of weird numbers/letters, etc) until I stopped and re-started. Hasn't happened since. Dealer says may have grounding problem, but won't be able to see it until later this week.
    Sounds like a grounding problem alright. The buzz is caused by the HID electronics - it converts the 12V of the car up to several hundred volts so it will "arc" in the headlamps. Probably just oxide on a "pushon" ground terminal.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,091
    Haven't visited here in a while. Just curious, how many miles do you have on your RX8? IIRC, you were one of the first to buy one (like me).
    The car isn't mine, I just get to drive it from time to time (and work on it). It has about 28,000 km on it now. It was one of the early ones that had a problem from the factory that caused a bearing failure, so it has a replacement engine. It failed at around 10,000 km. First car in Edmonton, and we have experienced all the reported "bugs" (and Mazda has been quick to fix them all). It is currently right up to date with the new ones mechanically and electronically.

There is a funny story about it being the first in Edmonton: The owner and I were to leave for a one month trip to the far east when the car was due. It arrived the day before we were to leave. The dealer put his plates on it and we took it for a drive around the city for a few hours. While doing this, another driver was distracted by the RX-8 he saw, and he drove through a red light and ran into a pickup truck. No injuries, but the pickup driver was not impressed and the light runner was embarassed! We returned the car to the dealer, who kept it locked in the showroom while we were gone.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,091
    Sounds like Mazda has done little more than to upgrade the ECU and some other things here and there.

So, the '06 is essentially the same as the '04s when they were introduced.

Any word on the RX successors?
  • duke15duke15 Posts: 161
    The 06 upgrades were mostly on the AT, it is now a 6s-pd and has around 214 HP now. The entire line gets minor updates such as the keyless start smart key, new paint color choices, and some of the later 05's have included screens on portions of the under carriage. It remains to be seen if they are on the 06's, or any other minor updates will be included. I don't know of anyone that has received theirs yet.
  • tomatnavytomatnavy Posts: 27
    the latest issue of road and track has the Mazda kubruna concept car on its cover--the word is that this may become a rx7 in 2008 or there after.
  • rxsallyrxsally Posts: 2
    after the dealer put new spark plugs in my rx8 it runs very high (rich) with out giving it gas it goes by itself it will go up hill is this normal?
  • rxsallyrxsally Posts: 2
    I had a bad vibr.. it was my motor mounts they have been on back order for 2 months just today after going into the service depart again..they told me they are now in stock they didnt call me to even tell me my parts are in ....after a 2-month wait. Service is bad..
  • When I back out of my driveway and forget (or can't) turn sharp, the bottom drags the concrete and it's rubbed the coating off :sick: . Anybody know of a source of strips about 2" high that can be installed in the rain gutter to stop this? I'm temporarily using a 2x4 under the right rear wheel.

Ron
    '05 Nordic Green
    Home Depot sells large rubber pieces shaped in a very flat "V". We bolted them to the concrete gutter. They have a groove at the point of the "V" to allow water to run in the gutter.
This discussion has been closed.