Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda RX-8 Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• Just took delivery of my RX 8 and I love it already. Got the Nav system but have found that the user manual is very weak. It just doesn't seem to address the basic things I want it too. For example when looking at restaurants I get many that are over 200 mi away. Does anyone know if this can be restricted or more importantly is there a better user manual.
  • Thought I read (heard) somewhere that the nav system can be added as a dealer option. Can that be right or does it have to be ordered from the factory?
  • Has anyone added this to their RX8? Where did you have the rcvr mounted?
  • Has anyone out there tried any engine modifications to boost the RX-8 horsepower? A friend of mine said he had an RX-7 and adding a supercharger to increase air flow had dramatic results on the rotary with very little cost. He claimed a boost of 20HP. That would be an impressive add to 238 if true.
  • carlikercarliker Posts: 285
    A lot of technology went into this car to make the rotary more reliable than the RX-7 rotary. I would be cautious before adding anything to it that might throw off the handling and suspension.
  • Update - added the clear side markers from http://www.rotaryextreme.com and they look great! Easy install! Did it during halftime of the Packer Game Sunday!

visit http://www.fungistudios.com/RX8_Shima/RX8_Shima.htm

new pix are in section 3!

enjoy!
  • I put the clear corners on my Xmas wish list, but nobody got them for me! Now that I know that I did not receive them as a gift, I can go ahead and order them for myself. I also have a red car so it's good to see the difference. It's amazing how something seemingly so small can make such a huge difference!
  • cheezeboycheezeboy Posts: 218
    A friend of mine just saw the clear ones today and said, "Wow! It makes such a difference. The car looks right now." She is also a lover of the RX's and was an owner of a gen3 RX7, so I value her opinion. If you ordered from http://www.rotaryextreme.com , they were sent to me within 3 days! But please, wait a week before you drive your RX8 around South Florida. Give me sometime as the 'King Of The Side Markers'! :-)
  • cheeze- however, I can still drool over the idea of driving around southern FL with an RX-8! Whereabouts? I visited last year. We flew into West Palm Beach and then spent most of our time in Miami and Key West. We drove a rental car - I think it was a Olds Alero from National Car Rental - that was not the same as the RX-8.

BTW have you ever considered getting an inexpensive 2nd/3rd car like a Miata to enjoy drop top driving in FL?
    dtran - I am in the Boca Raton / North Ft. Lauderdale area. Glad to hear you visited the ol' Sunshine state! It is a tourist-centric place. And as far as a drop top, well, I had a cloth top jeep-like automobile. Not a big fan of them. I like a solid roof over me! Call it a phobia or something! LOL!

BTW, has anyone here purchased the "Aluminum Tone Power Window Switches" and if so, what was the install like? I kinda like those! Well, that and the "Interior Night Lights"..so many accessories - so few $'s......
    You've have to be the happiest person I've seen on here. Is that what the Florida weather does to you?
    LOL!!....you have no idea, after 23 years of Wisconsin weather, how happy I am to be in Florida for the last 14!!....would you not be happy also if on Christmas day you were on a beach, with sand, and surf, and bikinis, and pizza, and bikes, and did I mention bikinis?.....plus the whole "No State Tax" thing is kinda nice.....AND I can drive my RX8 all year long on snow-free roads!!

was at the dealer today and they told me that they have a bunch of accessories, from the web site, in stock now!....lord help me - I am so weak! (but happy according to carliker) :-)
  • i chose not to get the spare for the same concern that you have. turned out that the car came with the spare no charge as it was only available with the other options i wanted. after my first ride i removed it and it is now sitting in my garage. trunk is small enough!!!
  • if you have them, can you tell me how easy they attach, and if they look as good as you planned. is the quality high, for the price paid? with a list price of $250, i see an online web site selling for under 200.00....
  • I'm probably going to buy one of these beauties in 1-2 months. I saw the showroom model here in Dallas, TX, and it had some alumninum fender strakes on it, and it looked VERY sharp. I'm going to add them to my car for sure. It adds to it like the Corvette door side panels - that extra bar added to the outside of the door - looks very good. He had them marked up to $412 including install. Whatever. He said he could sell me the part by itself for 240. Again, what the crap ever. I can get them from a dealer in Virginia for 186.88, and I only looked on the net for 10 minutes. The only thing (and this isn't a big deal) is that if they put them on WHEN YOU BUY THE CAR, then they are under the car's warranty, not the part's warranty. That just depends on what's important to you.

He told me that to install them, they take off the grill panel, and if I'm not mistaken, he said there was something behind the grill already there that allowed them to be mounted easily. The part should come with instructions though if you do it yourself - or the part dept. should be able to help you. They are VERY sharp though - they add an extra 'zing' to the car, especially if it's a black or dark gray RX8 in my opinion. This part might be on eBay soon for even less, but I haven't seen them on there yet. This being a new car and all, it might be a little longer till that price goes down. But 186 was the lowest I could find, and it was at Rosenthal Mazda in Virginia. Good luck. My e-mail address is Bamadog AT bamadog DOT com.
  • The spare tire to me isn't worth the time or space. With the RX8 already coming with Runflat tires, it's worth having some extra space in the trunk. The spare tire even 'sticks out' in the trunk impeding the space I need to actually put stuff IN the trunk (it has some overhang & is mounted to the roof of the trunk in the middle of the speakers). It's rather gaudy if you ask me. Go with the runflats and put your money into a better accessory... can't wait to buy my RX8!
  • flatsoflatso Posts: 24
    the rx-8 does not come with runflat tires
    One could only wish!
  • Weird - cuz the Mazda dealer here in DFW said that they DO have runflat tires - I checked, and they have Goodyear runflats on them. Maybe that dealer put them on - I don't know... but they WERE runflats. It's definitely a good idea if you decide not to go with the space-taking spare.
  • I appreciate all the information I've learned form this board and the other Edmunds RX-8 boards. After seeing the cosmetic options available for the RX-8, and reading about the factory option packages from people who've bought them, I've decided to go in a different direction.

I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area and within the next couple of weeks will be buying or ordering a base 6-speed, Titanium and black cloth interior. The only option I'll get will be the factory cargo net! None of the factory options I've seen improve the car's performance -- I've grateful Mazda is not nickel-and-diming us for good wheels/tires/brakes like others do. When a reliable chip comes along that restores the car's original horsepower, that will be my only performance modification.

As soon as I get the car I'll have all the badging removed. I don't want anything to distract from its complex contours and unique shape.

I'll end up with a very clean-looking RX-8, with minimum weight and complexity. For sound I'll use my iPod and noise-cancelling Bose headphones, as I do now with my Miata (only on long trips). The car's sound system will be used for the radio only.

I plan to keep my RX-8 for a long time. From personal experience I know Mazda's long-term durability is top-notch. And from viewing this car I know it will look as fresh a decade from now as it does today.

When I've got the car I'll post some pics on my Web site so you-all can see a "minimalist" approach. In the meantime, thanks for all the info.
This discussion has been closed.