Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda RX-8 Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• "Does the Mazdaspeed Spoiler use the same holes in the trunk lid as the regular mazda spoiler? "

It is supposed to....I've heard of aftermarket ones not lining up exactly, but the problem was fixable.
  • Hi
    Just to mention I order and install the auxmod card in my RX-8 today so I can hook my Dell MP3 player to the Tape aux.

That thing is running great witout any glitch.
    You can take a look at www.sylfex.com
  • dwynnedwynne Posts: 4,018
    I got the PIE Mazda aux-in adapter from this place:

http://www.myradiostore.us/auxadapters/pie/factory/no-external-changer/maz-pc-alp.html

$85 w/free shipping and no tax. Hooks into the OEM stereo as if it were a CD changer. Just hit the CD button again to switch from CD (or in my case MP3) to the aux in. Works very slick.

http://www.mazdaparts.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=1E0000-1112606399

has it for $71.50-$74.50 plus shipping (nearly $10 for me) as well.

The only "gotcha" on the PIE is that the firmware of the radio has to be 9.55 or higher to work. For older RX-8s Mazdaparts can update the radio as well.

Dennis
  • how did you get 19" tires on 18" wheels i"ll buy them too.. reply if you have a price
  • Hey thx, bout the X-Man Kit. But i don't like it anymore, cause my RX - 8 is Pearl White. The kit is good for blue and black colors. I was going through RX - 8 Pictures and I found this beautiful black RX - 8 which had Vertical Doors. So I went to www.verticaldoors.com to see what they have to offer. As of right now, they do not have any custom made kit for RX - 8. But they are willing to make it if 10 of us, owners decide to buy. But otherwise Universal Door Kit is the 2nd choice. What do u guys think? I would like that door on my car.Vertical Doors with Suicide Doors ain't taht something?
  • Hi. This is my first time on this site. I looking to get an RX8 in the next couple of months. Just wanted to know if they is anything you can do with that Bose system. I like having aftermarket systems, dvd players, subs etc. Is they anyone that has had these kind of things done? and is it worth me doing this?
    Folks have replaced the Bose speakers and added subs. There are a couple of aftermarket aux-input solutions as well. Not many have tried to replace the whole OEM stereo with something else. I added the OEM MP3 player in dash (in place of the CD player) and added an aux-input for my XM sat radio. It does not sound too bad, but it could use a sub. There are lots more cars on the market that are more after-market stereo friendly, though.

With the NAV system you can get an expensive box (and cut some wires) and get things like games, TV, DVD video, backup camera, etc on the NAV screen.

Dennis
  • dave54dave54 Posts: 3
    With the 05 rx-8 am i better off keeping the Bose or getting my own aftermarket audio parts.

thnx
  • Hello there I just got my RX-8 about 4 weeks ago its a red 04 right now i would like to put a head unit in but i can't find mounting brackets or a aftermarket front panel cover for it. Has anyone put a head unit in there rx8 if so what have you done????
  • apex8apex8 Posts: 2
    The bottom line, are there any Rx-8s that are turbo? I have 20k miles, and thinking of turbo after the warranty! One mod I have is the Greddy sp2 cat-back! Its looks great, and sounds nice!
  • apex8apex8 Posts: 2
    if no replies search old entries on this site. Everything is stock so far
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    I just checked on the Crutchfield site and they don't have anything. You'll have to make your own, it looks like at the present time. I presume you have a stock radio in there? To remove the console there is one hidden bolt. Talk to your dealer about where it is and how to get at it. Or check out the RX-8 club (search for it). I think I saw the instructions posted there.
    The only ones I have heard about have been full custom install jobs (for a lot of money). I don't think there is a bracket for face plate for the 8. Not enough interest or not enough sales to get someone to make one, I suppose.

With a non-Bose system it should be pretty easy to add amp(s) and upgrade the speakers and add a sub. Even with the Bose system I have seen folks put in better speakers for a claimed improvement in sound. I have the Bose system in my GT and it sounds "OK" for an OEM system. The more you turn it up, the better it sounds (to a point). It could use a sub though as it is weak in the bottom end.

Dennis
  • Well what about that lil door that opens under the front control panel...looked at it today and it looks like you could take that out and just put something in there but then you would just have to disconnect the stock radio
  • Hi guys,

I've had my 8 for quite a while and am in need of some new tires. The Potenza RE040s that came with the car were very nice (on dry) until about 8k. Then the noise started. Kept them rotated and balanced... no alignment issues, but by 12k the noise was irritating as hell. Due to this and the excessive quickness of tread wear, I don't think I'll be replacing these tires with potenzas. I was wondering if any of you had any +/- advice on tires you've used.
  • The RX8 comes with a radio that is rather odd shaped. It seems like there is no way to replace the factory radio without paying a fortune for custom work. There is a Sirius radio option. Does anyone know if XM can be used instead of Sirius? I do not want one of those things that looks added-on.
  • There don't appear to be any aftermarket head units targeted for the RX-8, yet.
    I've just finished adding a XM Commander radio to my '05 RX8. With a wee bit of modification it fits very nicely in the ashtray pocket, behind the flip-up door, so everything looks stock. The receiver box sits under the back end of the console between the rear seatbacks. It is direct wired into the stock radio via the connector used for the cassette deck and works quite well. PIE makes this direct interface (two parts - #maz/pc-alp and #alp/m-rca). To listen to XM you push the CD button - the RX-8 display says "EX 1" and you hear the XM. If you put in a CD it will switch from EX 1 to CD.

I'm puzzled about the MP3 add-on option. Does anyone know what form it takes? I was hoping the CD would play .wav and .mp3 files, but it only plays standard music CD's, not mp3's. What medium does the mp3 player use?

Oh- the XM commander takes up most of the area behind the flip up door, so I had to remove the cigarette lighter. No problem, don't smoke. But it's handy to have a power outlet up front. See that little round hole plug in the dash just to the left of the glove box door? There's nothing behind it. I picked up a Radio Shack power outlet and with a minimum of filing it fits perfectly in that hole. Wired it up to the old cigarette lighter wires and now have a power outlet right on the dash.

Wow, this post got too long.
    Both Sirius and XM offer units with FM outputs. You select the FM frequency on the sat. unit and then tune it in with your RX-8 radio. No modifications required. Yes, purists would complain that you are converting digital audio to analogue, but in a car the quality of the listening space is low enough you shouldn't be able to hear the difference.
    The mp3 option for the earlier cars was a new CD deck. I think in 2004 Mazda switched to decks that play MP3s stock. It could have been 2005 so don't quote me.

If you intend to install one, be aware there is a "hidden" bolt to remove the interior panel. Talk to your dealer about where it is - they were warned after several panels were broken.
  • I had read about the hidden bolt, so was prepared for it. But it turned out mine didn't have the bolt installed at all. I found where it should have been. The only bolts holding the radio in were the two on the front bottom. The wiring harnesses are really a [non-permissible content removed] to deal with because they are so short and the connector latches are not friendly. Fortunately, I didn't break anything.
This discussion has been closed.