Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda RX-8 Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• Yep, it is a spoiler model. You don't lose any head room, as it fits perfectly in between your roof and upholstery. It is the Hollandia 700 model. Here is the link to their website:

http://www.webasto-us.com/press/en/am_auto_sunroofs_3425.html
  • trispectrispec Posts: 305
    Pictures would be most helpful. Thanks.
  • mcusmcmcusmc Posts: 7
    Thanks for replying to my remote start question. Can you be more clear? Was your Mazda genuine remote start system added by you, the dealer or factory installed? We just ordered our 2006 RX-8 automatic last week and are very excited. A few years ago we added the remote start to our Lincoln. We love to enter our car that's nice and warm or cool as a cucumber. I would hate to give that feature up. I would think the remote start would be an asset as everyone says to let the RX-8 warm up.
  • hobbyhobby Posts: 1
    hi, i just bought a 2005 rx-8 and would like to know where i can get a factory installed gps system for it or one that will be installed in the dash and not sticking on the window. Thanks.
  • russo1russo1 Posts: 1
    Did you ever find out anything about the DVBD playing capabilities? I have a Nav unit, it won't play DVD movies and I was wondering if anyone knew how to upgrade it to play movies?
  • murfbearmurfbear Posts: 17
    I've read msg's about the remote starter switch, I have a 2006 RX-8 6-SP with the Smart Key. Any body know of a Switch for this year and transmission that will still have factory remote functions? I've heard that none are made for manuals.
  • I was thinking about putting an underbody lighting kit on my car and was wondering which is better and what is the big difference? Thanks
  • murfbearmurfbear Posts: 17
    I bought my Rx-8 a few months ago and wonder if the Xzilon treatment I had the dealership apply was worth the money, the car looks great even more so when the sun does it's magic by magnifying the shine. Any one else opt to have the Xzilon treatment, if so do you think it was worth it? I know it has a five year tranferable warranty.
  • I just had the Mazda dealership install a Speed Cool Air Intake system to replace the standard intake box that gets it air from the hot air under the hood. The dealer said that since they were a certified "Speed" accessory installation dealer that the new car warranty would still be in effect as long as the car was not raced.

In this connection, after installation and after the car gets to operating temperature a screaming squeal is now present from around the area near the throttle body. The dealership mechanics did not know why this noise develops nor where for certain the noise is coming from. One mechanic pinched off a rubber tube that plugged into the new cool air intake duct near the throttle body and the noise stopped until he let go of it. I thought possibly it was a leak from the rubber tubes connection so I clamped the tube on to the duct, but that did not fix the noise.

The noise sounds like either the scream of an air leak or the cavitation scream of a pump that is vapor locked and is trying to pump air istead of a liquid. The dealership finally determined the noise was not harmful only because they were stumped.

Has anyone else experanced the same thing after having this "speed" cool fresh air accessory installed to replace the stock intake box and filter holder.

Also they could not tell me how to service the K&N type filter that is included with accessory because it appears it is impossible to get to the filter without taking off the front bumper shell as they did when it was installed.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on the apparent installation problems that have developed. The dealership did admitt this is the first "Speed"cool fresh air intake they ever installed. Hopefully ther is a certified Mazda mechanic that reads this foru that will tell me what the dealership should look for or who to call for help........Please help
  • msrx8msrx8 Posts: 4
    I have the same whistle noise that you hear. Having a Family owned Mazda dealership I am able to find out many things. That whistle will be a noise that we will have to get use to. One of my master techs told me that the resonance chamber that was on the orginal air tube that was removed was used to kill the whistle sound. Plus if you would like to contact me via email I can give you information on any questions you have acessories or car related.
    Wow. Can we discuss other noises, like the popcorn/rattle that seems present on lots of RX-8 AT models? Or is the vacuum test for the lose of power issue, something that we can periodically request, say once a year from own dealer?
  • msrx8msrx8 Posts: 4
    What my tech told me was that on the AT RX8s there is an engine noise from where the rotaries turn at that is louder in most AT than MT. He also said that it could be small pebbles or rocks in the heatshield or covers rattling. He also mentioned that if you are using regular gasoline that it could cause strange noises when you accelerate.
    More specifically, my popcorn/rattle happens during low RPM take off after the engine has warmed up. During regular commutes in heavy traffic jam, I can hear the popcorn/rattle clearly.

When the engine is cold I don't hear the noise.

I own a Group 2 2005 RX-8 AT "sports pakg". I bought from Mazda Gallery, Boston (good folks I still believe) brand new. The plastic wrappers with still on it and there were only 6 miles on it when I test drove it. I believe I was the first customer to drive her.

There are 17K miles on her after a little more than a year driving her mostly here in Boston and New England.
  • mcusmcmcusmc Posts: 7
    Perhaps Trispec or another RX-8 ownner who lives in the Northeast can help me make a decision. I am thinking about purchasing the RX-8 car cover. I do not have a garage, and the thought of the trees with sap, dust, etc. makes the cover sound good. Are they hard to put on/take off, etc? Are they worth the bother? Thanks.
    Taking the cover off during the winter would seem to be a real pain. Snow and ice build up down around the wheels would be especially awful.
  • robbfrobbf Posts: 4
    I park on the street just outside DC and have been using the RX-8 car cover most days since this summer. It is very easy to take off and pretty easy to put on. The only difficulty I have had so far is dealing with stowing a wet cover when it is raining in the morning. I imagine snow would be a similar issue.
  • I am leasing a 2005 model and was frankly disappointed in the acceleration of the car as it came from the factory. So, when I saw some info on Iridium sparkplugs I dedided to give them a try. I purchased some NGK Laser Iridium plugs and my goodness the performance improvement was immediately noticable. Although I haven't had the car tested it feels like I gained 50 horsepower. They are also supposed to increase gas mileage so I will be posting again when I determine if this is so.
  • Is there an after market six speed shift pattern plate that can be installed around the base of the stick instead of the boot.

This would help in protecting the transmission in making shifts, for example, from 4th to 5th gear without accidently trying to put the stick between 3rd and 5th gears which is hard on the gear box. Each time this happens it is one less time the idler gears will function properly and permit a shift into 5h gear without rebuilding the transmission.

I hope my question is clear enough to permit a reply.
  • Has anyone considered the popping exhaust noise from the AT RX 8's may be only wasted gas from a rich mixture during acceleration just popping in the catalytic converter instead of quietly burning ???

Of course if this could be the noise it would never be admitted by the designers because nit picky owners would then want it replaced with a properly designed one instead of just accepting the nature of the cars gas rich exhaust. New converters are expensive.

Just a thought that occurred to me after I remembered putting spark plugs in exhaust tail pipes when I was younger, in the 1950's, so popping sounds and flame would come out of the exhaust when accelerating. The good old days when every thing was fun and kids knew more about cars than mechanics.
    Yep. This is one of PathStar's theories, explosive detonation in the exhaust, he called it. My experience is that the popcorn/rattle does NOT occur when the exhaust system is cold at startup, but then as the exhaust system gets hot, the popcorn/rattle is easily heard. I can hear the popcorn/rattle best when sitting in stop and go traffic where there's a curb or jersey barrier next to the car.

I guess my problems with the noise are:

1) Why do folks with RX-8 MT's never hear it. The engine is the same. Is the AT PCM messing with the fuel mixture alot more because of the shift timing calculations? I hear more popping before and after the auto tranny shifts, like it trying to correct the fuel mixture constantly.

2) It would seem like the fuel popping in the exhaust would burn the system up faster.

3) My RX-8 AT just turned over 20K. I can definitely smell sulfur stink when I start the car in the morning and then back out. Isn't the sulfur stink smell a sign that the CAT is not working?

4) I get great power response on hard take offs, easily going all the way to redline. I've logged actual gas millage at 14-16MPG in the city and 23-25MPH on the highway. Oil consumption is steady at 1 quart per every 1200-1500 miles.

5) My 2005 Group 2 RX-8 AT has had no recalls until this recent vacuum test recall. I live in Boston metro area so hot weather wear and tear is not an issue really.

6) So should I even care?
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    A couple of things.
    First, the RX-8 is set up to inject extra fuel (the idea is unburnt fuel) into the exhaust to keep the cat hot. I have heard the noise on a manual RX-8, it's just often drowned out by the transmission on the manual (it whines a bit and the syncros sound like a turbo spooling up at times).

The sulphur smell is caused by the sulphur in the fuel you're using. It's not really an indication of a dead cat. converter. I found I could minimize the smell by using the 10% ethanol fuel in the past. I suspect the ethanol fuel may have had less sulphur in it, but not because of the ethanol, just because it was made at a different refinery. I think shortly all fuel will have ethanol in it, and hopefully less sulphur as well due to changes in govt. regs. The fuels with higher sulphur content may be a cause of destruction of O2 sensors.

It sounds like your RX-8 is pretty healthy. Near perfect oil comsumption, normal fuel consumption. Keep your fingers crossed. ;)
    Thanks PathStar. I should have realized that the cat would probably have dashboard indicator like the O2 sensor, if there was a failure.

I'll watch out for some ethanol. I haven't used anything less than 93 Octane for months now, but the sulfur stink is very minor at this point.

I still love my RX-8 AT. Just got to remember to relax and enjoy. Thanks once again.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    Your car has an O2 sensor before and another after the cat. It monitors both, the one before to set the fuel injectors in "closed loop" mode (it adjusts on the fly), and the one after is there both to monitor the temp. of the cat and to determine that it's working.

Just for info. and not related to this, the car also operates in "open loop" mode. Here it just uses the fuel values from a table in memory. This is usually used under open throttle conditions, though modern cars are starting to use "closed loop" mode there too - a wonderful turn of events. Inexpensive car computers (called a PCM in the RX-8) are getting powerful!
  • duke15duke15 Posts: 161
    I am thinking about getting a car cover too - we have a one car garage, but my wife's new convertible is in there for the winter. The only other time I have used a car cover is when I had a car that I only drove every once in awhile, not an everyday car. What type of cover do you have? Is it much of a problem when the car is dirty, or do you leave it off then? I primarily would use the cover simply to keep the summer dew, spring pollen, fall leaves, and winter snow off of the car (not to mention year around dust in the DC/NoVA area). I'm not worried about storage if it is wet, I'll just toss it in the garage since I have covered parking at work. Would you recommend the cover you have to other RX-8 owners?

Thanks
    I have a cover that my wife ordered online from Mazda parts. It actually says RX-8 on the front and fits the car perfectly. It was about $250 and does a decent job. I'm sure there are better ones out there, with multiple layers, etc. As you stated, I primarily use it to keep pollen, bird crap, etc. off it. I would recommend it for that use.
    Thanks. That cover definitely looks sharp. Is it waterproof?
  • Hi, just bought my rx-8 today and needed someone to email me the links so I can get the x-men spolier. Also was wondering if anyone had the link for a good turbo kit with intercooler etc. Looking for the spoiler first though and if anyone has or is selling email me it. Mine is titanium gray metallic. Thanks :surprise:
    The cover is definitely water-resistant. I'm not sure that it's waterproof.
    OK - thanks
  • Does anyone have an idea how to attach an auxilliary radio input? I want to play a creative MP3 player through the radio and the transmiters "have crappy sound". I have an 06 Shinka manual (with the satellite radio). Any thoughts were the satellite reciver is hiding? I thought about unplugging it using its RCA inputs, although not sure if that would work.
    Thanks a bunch!
    Nergal
This discussion has been closed.