Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda RX-8 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• lhesslhess Posts: 379
    Raines Imports in Charleston, WV. That's doesn't seem like a bad deal and you're getting a better rate than I did. My invoice was $27,846 - mine did not have the appearance package, but it did have the navigation. I had some equity in my trade to the tune of $2,500 so you're selling price is lower than mine. I financed 21,4?? and paid my TTL out of pocket. Sounds good - if you like the car and are comfortable with the payment, go for it!! PS You have checked the insurance? Mine is about 1200 per yr here in WV.

I should apologize to grantlu - i'm not the car-dealing guru, but I looked at leasing an 05, buying a used 04 and buying a new 04. The lease numbers were just not pretty on this car and I really don't like worrying about mileage every time you wantonly drive the car. And, you will want to wantonly drive this car. As audio8q said, you'll love it!!
  • vroom7vroom7 Posts: 5
    What color did you get?

Shout to all;
    Just to get a general idea, what colors do people like? My choice is between Silver, Green, Red and (maybe) Black.

At this point I am so confused I feel I need a vacation!
    LIGHTNING YELLOW!! Actually, the color led me to buying a leftover 04. Not making yellow for 05, very few used yellows available out there and most seemed to be autos, and my mazda dealer had one leftover yellow on the lot that met my specs (really nothing beyond wanting a 6 spd and anything else on it was ok). A fellow poster did advice me not to buy one without the Sport package because it gives the stability control, the xenons, and some nice little extras. Mine has the Sport and I would advise going for that. My too-tall boyfriend knocked me out of a sunroof - it takes too much headroom to put it in and he didn't fit with one. I was gonna cut his head off, but was told that wasn't very nice (not to mention blood on my cloth seats, not leather!!) haha
    I test drove a silver and think that is very sharp in the brochure photos. Red would have been my choice had i started looking at 05's - love that metallic shine in the red, but I traded a red car that I'd had for 4 years. I admire black but do not want to maintain one. I owned a black car for 9 months and that was enough for me. I'm not a big green fan, but when i was shopping for my 8 there were certain times and in certain lights, that I had to look at the sticker to see if some of the cars were nordic green or black - almost impossible to see. I think the white ones look pretty good too.

Good luck!!
  • grantlugrantlu Posts: 12
    My wife wanted Titanium gray (or possibly blue); both seemed less common on the dealer lots, especially compared to white or silver. Personally, I would have gone for white and saved a couple thousand dollars by buying the car that had a teaser rate on it at another dealership.

As a general comment, it seems to me that color is a more important factor to women than it is to men
  • cappy4103cappy4103 Posts: 48
    Well... good, bad or otherwise, I made my purchase and it wasn't an RX-8. As much as I love the car and was looking forward to a change, it isn't the right car for me at this point in time. I worked out a great deal on a new 2004 that had everything I wanted on it, but I needed a car that would be able to comfortably haul my wife and children around too. Coming out of a DeVille, we just felt too tight in the 8. Even though the RX-8 would be a second car, I need something bigger. I ended up with a new Avalon. By the time the Avalon is paid for, the kids will be heading off to college and it will be only my wife and I at home (if she stays with me that long ... hee, hee). Maybe I'll get my RX-8 then! In the meantime, I'll have to "live" through all you proud 8 owners and your experiences with the car! Enjoy and keep the posts coming. My time will come!
    and with all in-town driving, i got a little over 16 mpg. I can live with that. Also, need to add oil to it now. My gas mileage and the oil usage are not as bad as i had expected. Folks made it sound like you had to have a petroleum IV hooked up to keep oil in it!!
    I have added a spoiler to mine and just this past week i ordered the front and rear rotary accents along with the 6 disc changer. That's about all the accessories i'm interested in for it. I do like the fender strakes but think the price is way too high. As of tomorrow, I've had it one month!!
  • Cappy, or anyone. Where in the countryare there still 2004 RX-8s for 5000 off invoice or 8000 off MSRP? They dont seem to have any 2004s here in Oregon at all. I am willing to drive one back from California or to have one shipped to oregon from wherever if I can find one. Thanks
    I'm in central New York. The deal that I struck but didn't take
    advantage of was $4,500 below invoice on a new red 2004 GT. That was at
    Paolozzi Car World in Marcy, NY (about 45 minutes from Syracuse). They had three or four other new RX-8's to pick from. Also, try checking for a new RX-8 at www.autotrader.com. Dealers have been listing new 2004 RX-8's there too! Good luck!
  • dwynnedwynne Posts: 4,018
    Mazda removed the 04s from the inventory search, which really cripples the ability to find them. Someone in SoCal said a while back they had trouble finding many 04s as well. I guess it all depends on where you live.

I would use the Mazda dealer locator and start hunting dealers and call/visit their web site to see what they have in stock. If they have an 04 that is suitable, then see if they are ready to deal on it.

Dennis
    I know lots of folks start having seizures at the idea of buying a car from E-bay, but I have noticed a lot of dealers listing their untitled 04's on there with a buy it now price. Don't remember numbers, but they seemed reasonable for the options. I wouldn't suggest actually buying from there, but you can contact them. Chances are they will have more than one. Do a completed items search within the Mazda rx8 category and that will show you the ones that were listed but did not sell. Most will list their e-mail address or a phone number.

If you want to trek out to WV, I can hook you up with my dealer. Haven't been on the lot for a while, but a couple of weeks ago, I'm guessing they still had 10 or more 04's. A red one is particularly nice with about all the options at an MSRP of $34,750. They priced this one to me for $26K - I can't remember exactly, but it was in that range.

Hey, off the subject somewhat, but I have always thought that autotrader needs to set up a "Wanted" section. Let us saps who are always car shopping list what we're looking for. Private sellers and dealers could cruise these listings to see if someone is out there looking for his/her car. Let's face it, if you're a very big used car dealer (I guess I'm mainly talking used cars here), you can't list everything you have on the lot and inventory changes so much!! Sorry for the sidetrack!!
    Nothing wrong with finding a car on fleabay, a lot of dealers use it as advertising to find customers for hard to sell cars. With a new car, the worries are really off since you are getting it from a legit dealer with a full warranty.

I have been looking on their lately, and no new 04s have been listed for a while.

One thing to keep in mind about fleabay motors, a lot of the auctions never reach the end. Someone calls or e-mails the dealer with an offer and bam they sell it to them (not through fleabay). So if you see something on there interesting, don't sit around waiting for the auction to end to see what the price does.

A wanted section would be nice, but you know those hose-head car salesfolks would be contacting you trying to sell you an SUV when you posted you wanted an RX-8 :D

Dennis
    how true on 2 accounts - don't sit and wait a few days on the e-bay cars and yes, the car salesmen are hose-heads (usually) and they would pull the old "I must have misread, i thought you wanted a 1970 baby blue town car!!"

Still cruising for that rx8? and still slumming in the BMW?
    My efforts to sell the BMW have been less than successful :( So I guess I will drive some more value out of it so I can afford to sell it for less. Not a bad way to go, I suppose. I am still on the lookout for RX-8 deals since "you never know" when I might find a buyer for the BMW.....

Pretty soon Mazda will have to start offering money to move the 05 8s out before the 06 models arrive (assuming they don't drop the car for poor sales, which I would doubt).

I did the big, powerful VS light, nimble thing with convertibles a couple of years ago when I sold my C5 'vette convertible and got the S2000. I am thinking the same direction with the "sedan" - get rid of the very powerful sedan for the much less powerful, but nimble RX-8. Awesome power is great, but is just not as much fun (to me) as a quick, sharp handling car. I have learned this the hard way, I guess....

Dennis
  • Ok, lhess, can you tell me the name of the dealership in W.V., and/or who i should call there? thanks alot.
    Anybody had good/bad experiences with this dealer named "Mazda of Kent"?
    Hi, your comments please o the following deal being offered:

2004 Automatic with Touring Package
    MSRP: $26805
    Selling Price:$22500
    Invoice date: Aug 2003

Anyone see any issues/red flags?
    I'd pass on this deal. Just for comparison purposes, I was offered a deal on a $32,000 MSRP GT for $24,500 (Invoice minus $4,500). Looks to me like you're paying sticker minus $4,300. By the way, Mazda gave the dealerships a $4,000 incentive to apply towards these cars. What the dealership chipping in, a $300 discount? No way! If you can get them to knock $4,300 off of invoice, that would be a deal. In my opinion, the time for dealerships to make money on a 2004 has passed and at this point. The 2004's are almost two model years old, and dealerships should just be looking to dump them at this point. You should be able to determine what the invoice is for this car online in the event the dealer won't show you. Good luck!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,913
    Please don't ask for contact information or salespeople's names as that's not allowed (see the note above the "post a message" box).

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Something is not adding up. Does the $26,895 include the destination charge?

My 2004 price list shows MSRP for the 04 AT as $25,180 . Sports pack for AT is $1,800 and touring pack for AT is $3,500. So $26,895 for the car + touring pack does not add up.

If this car really is an AT w/touring it would be more like:

$25,180 + $3,500 + $520 = $29,200

Invoice would be $23,274 + $3,011 + $520 = $26,805 dealer cost.

Take away the $4k Mazda buy down and you have $22,805. If the price you show ($22,500) includes destination and any dealer/doc fees then that is a decent price - if this is an AT w/touring. Most dealers with left over 04s are going a little lower, however.

Dennis
    car_man posted this in the lease forum:

I believe that Mazda's lease cash on the 2005 RX-8 is up to $3,000 in April, $1,000 customer lease cash, $1,000 dealer lease cash, and a $1,000 bonus for unsupported leases of this model through Mazda Credit. I have not seen what its unsupported lease money factors and residual values for this car are like recently though.

I am working on confirming it with a couple of Mazda dealers.

The 8 would still be a "bad" lease car, since the MAC money factor is pretty high and the residual (on a 36/36k lease) is less than 50%.

Dennis
  • grantlugrantlu Posts: 12
    When I was shopping for a 05 RX8 in April, several dealers told me that leasing through Mazda credit was not a deal, i.e. higher payments than using non Mazda credit companies. Therefore, they quoted only non Mazda deals or if they quoted both, the Mazda deal was more expensive. In one case, I was looking over the manager's shoulder and checking all the inputs on his computer screen (and sometimes telling him what the inputs should be! :) ). So, I didn't hear anything about lease deals or lease cash in April. One dealer said that there were deals in March, but not everybody confirmed this.
    the dealership is Lester Raines Imports. Their web site is lesterraines.com. The site has no real info, but you can get the phone numbers from there. Sorry, as the host said, I can't give you my salesman's name and that's a shame because he was great and I would love to send some business his way.

Host, can I post initials? I'm certainly not posting anything bad about him - I'd love for him to get credit for selling EVERY 8 they have.

As I said, it's been a couple of weeks since i was on the lot, but I'm guessing they still have a few. What color, what options are you looking for?

vroom7...If Dennis is right and the 26805 is invoice, it is a decent deal. I think you could hold for a little more. No offense to you and your likes, but my dealer said they had trouble selling the AT's and after the initial order of them, did not order more. Could be the area or it could be a pretty good bargaining tool for getting a better price? See what seems to be the case in your area before you try it. Could be completely untrue for your dealer!!
    There was (confirmed to me by a dealer) $2k lease money in March. This made the MAC deal better than the 3rd party lease deal. IF there is $3k now, then it should be even better. Someone not afraid of reading the lease contract fine print might be OK to do the lease to get the discount and then buy it out later.

I hope to have the lease cash confirmed this week.

The 8 really does not lease well - the MAC and ALG residual is really low, which is too bad.

Dennis
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,913
    No, NO identifying information, please. If we allow one person to do it, we have to allow it for all. We don't want these boards to simply become a place for salespeople to promote themselves, or for members to solicit for referral fees. Even if you're not doing one of the above, as I said, if we allow it for one person, we have to allow it for all. Thanks for understanding.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

nothing listed above was my intent, but understand and will refrain.

I would avoid leasing the 8. When I started shopping, I looked at leases on the 2005. My dealer, point blank, told me to do myself a favor and not waste time trying to lease it. I just can't see the benefits - monthly payments seem to be about the same and I hate worrying about miles every time you drive it (leased once). My payment is roughly $358 (no money down, just paid my TTL). I budgeted $400 per month to actually pay on the car. My depreciation schedule (everyone should have one) shows at the end of 3 years (at this rate of paying) I will owe roughly $10K on the car. If the car is in good condition and mileage reasonable, this has to be safe for a trade at that point. May even be a small amount of equity in it?
    What I found (still waiting for confirmation and explanation) is that the 04 dealer cash is up to $4,500 from $4,000:

DEALER CASH INCENTIVE
    ALL NEW 2004 RX-8'S QUALIFY FOR $4500.00 DEALER CASH

Rebate: $4,500.00
    Expires: 8/1/2005

And there APPEARS to be 2 different 05 lease incentives, which may or may not be combined. If so, then $3k below invoice MIGHT make for a decent lease deal (even with the bad residual and MAC MF).

LEASE CASH + DEALER CASH
    $1000.00 DEALER CASH PLUS $1000.00 MAC CUSTOMER LEASE CASH...SEE DEALER FOR MORE DETAILS

Rebate: $2,000.00
    Expires: 5/2/2005
    Rebate applies to: New 2005 Mazda RX-8

and

LEASE CASH
    $1000.00 MAC LEASE CASH (See Dealer for Details)

Rebate: $1,000.00
    Expires: 5/2/2005

Rebate applies to: New 2005 Mazda RX-8

Dennis
    It looks like the extra $1,000 is:

2005 Competitive Lease Conquest Direct Mail Program $1000 Customer Cash

So unless you get the direct mail coupon, then they are still stuck on $2k in lease money :(

Dennis
    My Bad. I should have said:

2004 Automatic with Touring Package
    Invoice (not MSRP): $26805
    Selling Price:$22500
    Invoice date: Aug 2003

Thanks
    Mazda gave all the dealers $4,000 and now supposed to be $4,500 to move the remaining 04 RX-8s.

So $26,805 - $4,500 = $22,305. There is $500 of so of holdback on the car as well, so if the dealer is not sticking any other fees on top of your price they are making about $700 on the car. You should be able to do a little better on a car that will soon be 2 years old.

If they are going to stick a "doc" or "dealer" fee on top of the quote, then they need to do a good bit better.

04s are getting harder to find and a lot of the ones left are not desirable color and/or really loaded up (GT, NAV, etc) - so keep that in mind.

With the current dealer incentive you are NO LONGER required to go through MAC for financing. So see what your credit union, bank, or CapitalOne online will do for financing before talking to the dealer's finance folks. If they can't beat your rate, then use your own financing

Dennis