Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda RX-8 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mfentonmfenton Posts: 9
    After waiting for months I finally picked up my 2006 RX-8 AT GT today. Leased it from Galpin Motors in Valencia, CA. Phantom Blue w/ Black Leather. Been waiting for the AT's since driving a stick in Los Angeles is a nightmare. Paying 370.00/month 36 month lease
  • acg1acg1 Posts: 1
    just picked a used mazda RX-8 2004 Manual with all options except navigation and 6 cd changer( though it has the BOSE)
    for $18800 with 11700 miles . I thought it was a great deal. After seeing what others are paying for a new one, i dont know if it is a great deal anymore. Guys with recent buying experience, did i do ok?
  • mdw1000mdw1000 Posts: 171
    I'd say you probably saved 5 or 6 grand over a new one, so not too bad i guess. Got my 05 GT AT back in Feb for 24,200.
  • late8late8 Posts: 7
    Bought a '06 RX-8 6mt Black w/ Sport/Spoiler/Splash guards $28,214 OTD in Antioch CA.
  • max_max_ Posts: 1
    I've been looking for an RX-8 for some time now. Most dealers are quoting $200 to $300 over invoice for a 2006 MT (any trim) and will quickly go to invoice -- AFTER the current $1000 cash back and $500 financing incentive.

This seems to be more or less what people here seem to pay give or take over the years, but can anyone post recent buying experiences? I am in So. Cal.

Thanks
  • acg1...sounds like a good price to me....I am selling my silver RX8 GT automatic with black/red leather, rotary pkg, RX8 piano black b pillars and winter tires for $19,000 and I have 35,000 miles on it so I'd say you got a decent deal!
  • I am looking at a used 2005 RX-8 MT with 3800 miles and no options. Silver with black interior. Garaged. Bought 2/06 from dealer. The seller is asking $19K obo.

Is this a good deal?
  • heenoheeno Posts: 7
    As a owner of 93 RX7...love/hate I'm considering a new 2006 RX8, 6 speed. Anything I should know about t his car, any packages or options I should consider or stay away from. Thanks!
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    Have you test driven one? As a fellow owner of a 93 RX-7 I think you may not be happy with the power delivery. It's like waiting for boost to come on in your RX-7. Test drive one before you get too serious. The RX-8 is fast, it's just sneaky how it gets there without slamming you into the seat. You'll love the transmission, you'll love the rev. band. You can choose between 3-4 gears at most speeds. You'll love the room inside - passengers - it can carry passengers! And lots of luggage! It handles at least as well as a well set up 3rd gen. too. If you are tall (upper body) stay away from the sunroof - you loose an inch of head room. Other than that, I haven't seen any "issues" with the different packages.

Be aware it comes with "summer" tires. If you plan to drive it in cold climates with ice and snow, you will need appropriate tires. You can get nice aluminum wheels and winter tires for about $300 per corner - we chose AR wheels and Nokian WR tires. They work great in rain,ice, and snow.

Those are the only things I know of to watch out for.
  • mcusmcmcusmc Posts: 7
    We ordered our Winning Blue GT w/Nav 2006 RX-8 AT on April 8, and it finally went into production the week of June 9. It should be at the dealers on August 8. We had been wanting to special order a 2006 since last August. One whole year, we certainly hope it will be worth it! Well, now we are going to get hit with the new 7% state sales tax that NJ just increased by 1%. That adds $320 or so to the price. I am not happy about this. We have never had to go thru so much trouble to buy anything. Anyone else waiting so long for a 2006 AT? I'll keep in touch.
  • trispectrispec Posts: 305
    Wow. Waiting that long to experience your RX-8 AT is amazing. To maximize the experience then, I recommend planning a whole series of weekend driving trips. The RX-8 AT is a fantastic highway cruising vehicle. Of course, Winning Blue is going to make an easy target for the HP. I've also found that running through rural highway systems at 60MPH or below in full AT is really nice and relaxing too. You Sun roof will be really nice on a tree lined country lane. And you can't get lost either, bonus.

You're gonna love your RX-AT.
  • edinnpbfledinnpbfl Posts: 4
    I am about to buy a 2005 RX-8. I am deciding between two cars. I think I am getting a great price. One has 19,800 miles and lists for $19,999. The other has just 3,775 miles, but it was just traded and say that can probably give it to me for about $1,000 more. I have a big concern from what I have read about the car needing premium gasoline. Is this true? If so, it will definately give me 2nd thoughts about buying an RX-8. Thanks!
  • trispectrispec Posts: 305
    The RX-8 will run 87 octane, it's just not recommended, because of the lower performance and because of the slightly higher risk of preignition. But if Premium gas concerns you enough to not buy the car, then you'll probably really dislike the gas millage no matter what type gas you run. If you're driving in lots of city traffic, you millage is going to be less than 14 MPG. Strictly highway is 23-25MPG.
  • jmoneyjmoney Posts: 25
    I just picked up my Velocity Red, 6 speed RX8 from Faulkner Mazda in Northeast Philadelphia Today. Orinigal msrp - $30,865. Includes Touring pkg, alarm sensor upgrade and spare tire kit.

Dealer had dropped it to $24,500. I paid $23,500. The car is truly new with 78 miles on it. I have to say that this is the best 23 grand I spent on anything. As a three time Porsche Boxster owner, the RX is more fun, better built, handles as good if not better and faster than the pre 01 boxsters. You gotta love a car that is at its best over 5,000 rpm's!

I guess my question is, did I get a decent deal? I know that I got what is in reality a two year old car with the 07's right around the corner, but the differences of the 05's versus the 06 six speeds is neglegeable.

If anyone is interested, they have one more '05, RX8 on the lot. Exasctly the same as mine with the exception being the Bose 6 disc, in dash cd changer as opposed to my single.
  • lhesslhess Posts: 379
    I too bought a leftover - just different years. 04 left on the lot and I got it in March 05. I got almost the exact deal as you. Car stickered somewhere around $30???, dealer priced it at $27???, minus rebates for financing with Mazda, and minus $2K in equity on my trade. Financed $21,???.

I felt great about my deal and still do. I still love this car after a year and a half. When I go car shopping, I put the worry of depreciation completely out of my head. Let's face it, the average daily driver that most of us can afford is NEVER an investment, they always depreciate and always will. I buy what I can comfortably afford and enjoy. I usually trade in the 3 - 4 year range and I feel I'll be OK on equity with this car at that point.

Enjoy your car!!
  • jmoney,
    Yes, seems like you got a good deal. Before I decided against the RX-8 due to gas consumption and carbon buildup in the engine, I was looking at a 2005 Charcoal Grey RX-8 with 20,000 miles for $19,999. Right next to it was a red RX-8 with only 3700 miles on it. It was just traded in on a Vette, wasn't cleaned, and didn't even have a price yet. They were going to sell it to me for $20,999. I was so close to buying this car, but glad that I didn't since I got laid off from work right afterwards. Good luck and hope you enjoy it.
  • Thanks for the feedback guys. It's always good to get additional feedback, especially if it re-affirms my original thoughts!

I've had the car for 10 days and I really love it. Hoping to take an autumn road trip to New England with my wife and the RX. That should definitely bring out the best in this car!
  • From what I've read in this forum it sounds like it's possible to get an 06 for around invoice.. How are the 07's pricing at??

And can someone recommend a dealer in the socal area? What do people think of Galpin Mazda in Van Nuys??
  • Anyone have any suggestions on where to buy a new 06 or 07 RX-8. I live in fairfield ca, right in between San Fran and Sac so either location would be ok to buy from.
  • ukjimukjim Posts: 63
    I had my car serviced at Long Beach Mazda on Cherry Ave and they seemed pretty knowledgeable and customer orientated but I bought on the East Coast last year so cant speak to their sales practices.
  • Now that its the middle of October I see there is many 2006 RX-8's on the car lots here in Phoenix AZ not being sold. The dealers look very desperate. My impression is that they will take any offer.

Any advice on how much a deal to expect at this time? Which dates would be the best to buy in the next 3 months. I read the buying new car article on Edmonds on how to get quotes thru the fleet sales dept at the dealers competing with each other. I definatly will be using that tactic along with getting my own financing pre approved from a lendor. Any idea's on the stock Sports RX-8 and the full loaded model? Wife demands an AT> :(

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
  • lhesslhess Posts: 379
    over-rule the wife on an auto!!
  • dwynnedwynne Posts: 4,018
    No wonder there are incentives on the 07 models already. Things are really bad.

This is Oct 06 Oct 05 % change 06 YTD 05 YTD % change
    RX-8 640 1,212 (47.2)% 8,180 12,804 (36.1)%

640 cars sold for the whole month and just 8,180 for the year - down nearly 50% for the month and 47% for the year. Ouch, big time.

Still doing better than the S2000

S2000 294 409 -25.2% 5,685 6,942 -18.1%

I guess Mazda thinks of the 8 as their "halo" car, or they may just quit making it. Rumor has it this is the last year for the S2000 convertible - just not enough sales to keep making it.

Dennis
  • dwynnedwynne Posts: 4,018
    Edmunds reports a $750 dealer incentive on new 07 RX-8s. On a left over 06 there is $2,500 in rebates and probably some dealer money, so I would expect those to be $3k or more under invoice at least.

You can go to carsdirect.com and put in your ZIP code and spec out a car and see what prices come up. Given the $750 incentive I would expect you should be paying around invoice or a little less for any new 07 RX-8.

Get the manual transmission - otherwise just get something else.

Be warned though, the 8 sucks at the pump. I get around 15mpg around town and on a long interstate trip could only get just over 20mpg. Premium gas, of course.

Resale value looks to be pretty bad too. You would figure if Mazda and the dealers can't sell them new - so they have deep discounts, rebates, and incentives. So to sell a used 8 you really have to go low. Edmunds says my 05 6mt GT w/NAV w/7400 miles is worth (trade, private party, retail):

$21,587 $23,407 $25,162

KBB shows:

$20,900 $23,210 $25,635

Pretty sad for a car with a $34k MSRP.

If it was me, I would see if the dealer had any speed6 cars on the lot. The left overs have $3,500 in dealer money on them and you should be able to pick one up really, really cheap.

Get what you want and what makes you happy, but go into the 8 with open eyes as to the recalls, resale, mile economy, and thirst for oil. Then you can enjoy your new car because you considered all this up front.

Dennis
  • Hello ppl, this is my first post as I am a new RX8 owner as of last night!!! Just bought an 06 Shinka Edition for 6k below MSRP. The financing through Mazda is horrible (high interest) but you do get $1k for the trouble. Will have to get a refinance loan to get me the "good interest rate" as the Mazda loan can be paid off at anytime & I still keep the 1 grand. I think/hope I did well. The car got plenty of looks from my coworkers!
  • mdw1000mdw1000 Posts: 171
    Congrats! You will love this car!
  • I previously own a scion tc 2.0 series 06 bought brand new 0 miles now it has 6k is it worth trading it with a Mazda rx-8 with 37k miles but is in mint condition with Grand Touring Package from 04?

Also does this car last would it get hard losing the 50,000mi. warranty how long would it take before this car starts to wear out?

Anyone who knows please help id appreciate thanks!
  • I am looking at trading in my 2006 Mazda 3SGT and want to get a 06 RX-8 shinka with a sticker price of $33280 the price i was quoted is $27,287 which includes rebates but not ttl. is this a good deal
  • I was able to get an 06 Shinka for 26K even back in October 06 (Springfield MO). You might be able to get a few dollars off. It is a nice vehicle for sure. Just be careful of the Mazda financing, it's rate sucks, had to cash out some investments to pay it off, but Mazda's financing gets you 1k off. (at least it did in October).
    Nergal.
  • I got a few quotes on the 06 RX8 MT with the GT package from dealers in Nor Cal. The dealers are asking $8,000 under MSRP. Can't get myself to buy one though given the issues I've read with these 8s, oil being the major factor. I've decided to wait another month, hopefully these will be going for $10k under MSRP by then. Fingers crossed.