Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda RX-8 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• dwynnedwynne Posts: 4,018
    All cars now have computers in them to control everything. The RX-8 seems to have an unusually powerful/flexible computer. The "flash" is just a software update for the computer (I think it is called the PTC or Power Train Controller).

They can adjust air/fuel mix for any RPM (improve mileage/cut pollution/make more power) and change any number of things. One thing I read about was originally the a/c compressor would cut off when the revs hit 5k - to enhance acceleration by taking the load of the compressor off the motor. Starting in one of the flash loads that took this out of the code, so after the flash the compressor will stay on past 5k rpm.

One part of the fixes for the new recall may be another new software load - and probably some heat shielding for under the car.

Kinda of like Microsoft - three new patches for XP/Win2k/Win2k3 came out this morning.

Dennis
  • mattzenmattzen Posts: 2
    anyone recently buy an 8 in the Los Angeles Area? i'm getting pretty serious about getting one soon and am curious about what i should be paying here. i know a lot of folks here are saying i should be able to get one at or under invoice. does that hold true in car happy LA? i'm also diggin the new lease incentive that's valid till the end of july. thoughts?

also, what is the best way to approach buying/leasing. should i get dealer quotes through the internet first (eg. edmunds/mazda website) and then go to them or should i just go to a dealer with knowledge of their invoice pricing etc... any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!
    I always start at carsdirect.com . Put in your ZIP and see what no haggle price comes up. If you don't get invoice or below widen your search by using other ZIPs in your area.

Also, you might check on the other Mazda forums here. Not a lot of 8 activity here, but there is more on the 3's or 5's or maybe MPVs. Someone over there may know which dealers deal easy and which do not.

I would shoot for invoice or below AND then the $2k MAC lease rebate.

Dennis
  • mattzenmattzen Posts: 2
    Thanks Dennis! I very much appreciate the tips! :shades:
  • pathospathos Posts: 5
    Dwynne,
    Thanks for all the great information.

Do (did) these deals exist in california? Specifically below invoice and also a $4000-4500 rebate on 2004's.

If so, it's too bad I missed it. I'm about to lease and I believe (correct me if I'm wrong), the year doesn't make a difference, so I'd prefer the 2004 at this point. However, I wonder if 2004's have a lower residual than 2005's or something like that.

Maybe I'll wait until next March for another great deal.
    You have to just call around and see, but others in CA have reported no 04s at dealers. Since Mazda removed them from the online search no well to tell except to visit the dealer, visit their web page (assuming it is up to date), or call them.

You should be able to do close to invoice now or under, then there is a $1,000 MAC finance rebate or a $2,000 MAC lease rebate going on now. The finance rate might be high, but you can always take the $1k off and refinance later. The lease rate is a quite a bit below the market rate and is a very good deal.

Dennis
  • dsmdriverdsmdriver Posts: 3
    The MazdaUSA site says "2005 RX8" for the lease, so I would assume it is only for the '05. They have totally different incentives on each of the models.
    Correct, the $4k money the dealers got for the 04s is it - no more help from Mazda.

If you run the numbers, the 05 lease deal through MAC is MUCH cheaper than getting a lease on an 04 (which would have to be leased as a used car at this point).

Dennis
  • A local dealership has a titanium 2004 RX-8 with Nav, tinted, spoiler, ground effects package, red/black leather interior with 8,000 miles. I called and they said Kelly Blue book was $31,600 and they were selling at $28,900.

Does this seem high for a used RX-8?

Jake
    That is about what I paid for a new 05 GT w/NAV and "0 miles" last month (counting the $2k in MAC rebate).

A left over 04 should be $26k or for a NEW car, this is a used car so I would say $24k or so.

Dennis
  • pathospathos Posts: 5
    Dennis,
    Thanks for writing back.
    Could you explain why it's cheaper to lease an 05 than 04? Is it just because the car is a year old? Or does it relate to residuals, etc.?

I got a quote for 2K down + 399/month (x35 payments) [taxes, etc included] for a 2005 Sport pkg/6CD/rotary accent/cargo net at 15K miles/year x 36 months.
    They used invoice (which includes a 150$ LA transportation fee - ?BS) - holdback (538) + profit (200) - cash back (2000) to total at 24877. The residual is only 45% for 15K miles/year this month (I saw their paper). I believe it was 48% just last month, this makes me want to buy it at the end if the car isn't having problems (for 11-12K$, +tax I think). And MF was 0.00138 (about 3.3% APR).
    The quote sounded high for these numbers, using a couple of lease calculators. It's always hard to tell if they're tacking something else in. There is a 475$ bank acq fee, 45-75$ doc fee, 425$ deposit, 8.75$ tire fee involved for sure. Any input?
    Dennis, do you mind telling me what number you got for your lease? It seems like you of all people would have gotten a fair/good deal. Just want something to compare it to, so I don't feel I'm getting jipped. Thanks!
  • Thanks so much Dennis - I spoke with the dealer last night and he's trying to impress upon me that because it has so many features they wanted to sell it so high. I was thinking no more than $25,000 myself, since I could get a new Shinka for $29,000 (according to Carsdirect.com)

Of course, he wants me to come and talk, which I'm not in much mood to do. I guess he thinks if I see the car, etc., I'll fall for it.

Thanks again,

Jake
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    They had Phil Edmonston on local TV last night - I loved his comment "This industry (car sales) is one of the most dishonest in the world".

Of course he thinks you'll fall for it, or anything else he tries.

Resist, resist, resist. There is always a better deal around the corner. No hurry to buy or commit! Ever!

The more you look around, the more knowlegable you will get. You will know when you see a "good deal".

Car salesmen hate me. I don't play their game. ;)
    Well, once the model year has past then the 04s are considered used cars to the lease bank. Almost all of them use the ALG lease residual numbers and the number to lease an 04 that was NEW would be the same number that you would get for leasing a used 04. Looks like on a 3/36k lease right now the residual would be $12,600 for a base or sports pack car.

Your lease payment is based on the the difference between your negotiated low price and the residual with the money factor applies. If you found a left over new 04 with sports pack and paid $24k for it, the depreciation alone would be $11,400 over 36 months or $316.67 per month - and that does not include interest. The money factor is usually a good bit higher on used car leases as well.

Are you looking at an auto or 6mt? The auto residuals are 2-3% worse, I am told.

Also, you and the dealer are looking at the WRONG lease - the sweet spot in the MAC lease deal is the 24 month lease! The residual on a 24/24k is 56% and should have an even lower MF than the 36 month deal. For a 24/30k lease the residual will be 55% or 54%.

Mine was based on the June deal, which was 59% residual on a 24/24k lease and the MF was 0.00107 (2.5%) if you paid security or let them bump it up to 0.00122 (2.9%) and they waive security. I don't know the MF (but could work it out), but I was told the residual on the 24/24k lease dropped from 59% in June to 56% now. To keep the "$299 a month" payment for the base 6mt in the promo they reduced the MF even more. So you should be looking at 56% and 0.001 or less. 55-54% for a 24/30k lease.

Dennis
  • thelthel Posts: 767
    The local dealer has 3 black RX8's. The chapest one has the GT package with the cool red and black leather seats. MSRP is $31.5k. I seriously doubt I can afford one, but how much should one of these leftovers go for? They have 3 04's on the lot so I hae a bad feeling that they are not too willing to let them go for a song but...

BTW, they had it in the paper last week for a sale price of $26,XXX.
  • lhesslhess Posts: 379
    mine stickered for $30,300. They priced the car from the get-go at $27,900 and then minus the $4000 Mazda rebate at the time. I asked for another 1K off the car which they showed as giving me on my trade so i ended up financing $21,4??. I never thought I could afford a new one either, but my payment actually went down. I would hold out for a slightly better deal considering the time of the year - 06's aren't that far away!!

PS. I love my 8!!!!!!!!!!
    That's almost $9k off of MSRP! Maybe $22k is in the realm of reason afterall?...

Maybe I'll go fo a test drive afterall. I just don't want to waste the salesmans time if I can't afford one, you know? Then again, maybe they'd welcome someone driving a car that has been on the lot sooo long.
  • lhesslhess Posts: 379
    the leftover 04 prices were better than the used ones I found. Mine is a 6 mt with the sport package and navigation - no touring or g touring, but I've added the rotary accents, a cd changer and the rear wing spoiler for about another $500 or so. I financed for the longest term ( I usually make way more than the minimum payment, but with being single, I feel safer knowing that I can cut my car payment to the bare minimum if I need to) and my payment is $350 or so.

Go check them out. I don't think $22k is out of line for a car that's about to be 2 model years old. I was in your shoes exactly and told my salesguy that I was possibly dreaming to even think I could buy one, but he was great about it and worked up the numbers long before I expressed a real interest in being able to buy one. Once you drive it, you'll have to have it!!
  • trispectrispec Posts: 305
    It may be hard to imagine, but Boston Mazda dealers don't seem to care about selling cars. I can't get ANY offers. I've expressed great interest in an RX 8 AT with a Sports package to a local dealer after a really long test drive. I brought my six year son on the test drive so he could enthusiastically endorse the car, which he did. I was sent away to find my own price on Edmunds.com by the manager himself.

Then I sent e-mail requests for quotes on the specific RX 8 model and package to all four metro dealer. They all sent back "Call Us" boiler plate email with really wacked nonsense statements like "Now that we answered you email... call us for a test drive"

I've been a Saturn guy for a decade now so I don't have a clue what the magic words are to get the typical rabid dog dealer to come barking at my door.

I made the first moves by test driving, telling them I really love that Black RX, giving my home number, work number, cell number, and e-mail address. I told them my wife had given permission to visit dealers and my car budget was look'n pretty healthy. The only thing I politely pushed back on was the idea that I didn't think I needed to pay full retail.
    It's quite simple really, you simply need to walk into the dealer of your choice and make an offer on the car you want. Usde Edmunds, Carsdirect.com, magic 8-ball, or whatever to decide how much you're willing to pay for the car and then start going to dealers and making offers. If none of them accept your offer, you simply need to raise it until it is accepted. It should not take very long, a few minutes at most. Do not get caught up in the :...wait here while I go check with my manager (for an interminable amount of time)" nonsense. Just offer them $XX,XXX and let them accept or reject in a reasonable amount of time.

If you wait for the dealer to call you up with an offer you will most likely be wainting a looong time, that simply isn't how most dealerships work. It sounds to me like maybe you're dropping your number hoping a dealer will call you up with a discounted price without you having to "work" for it and most dealers just don't work that way (some do, but not around here anyway).

Good luck!