Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen GTI Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,013
Share your GTI purchase experience here.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

Comments

• wetwilliewetwillie Posts: 129
    It took over 6 months! But, it was worth the wait. I got everything I wanted and paid for nothing I didn't want.

Actually, I ordered every option they had except leather interior (hate it!). Apparently thay don't have any Rave Green with the options I wanted laying around.

I'm happy with all the options (especially rain-sensing wipers) except the Monsoon sound system - it ain't all that.

I paid 3% over invoice thru an arrangement with my employer but I'm sure I could have done the same deal on my own. Anyway, very happy with this drivin' machine - The VR6(24V) alone is quite the experience!
  • utahgtiutahgti Posts: 1
    Bought my 01 dub 5-speed from a subaru dealer. Had 4500 miles when i bought it in april 03. It had a few interior problems ( peeling drivers handle, broken passenger seat access )

Paid $14k and i think it Nada'd for $16k ish (at the time). I thought i got a pretty good deal especially with the miles. I now have 9800 miles and still love to drive the dub.
  • chasquichasqui Posts: 1
    At the end of '00 I bought a used '00 GTI here in TX. I had been looking for a golf, but couldn't pass up the silver VR6 when I drove it. It had 14k on it, and while I got a fair price, the dealer stuck it to me with the financing. I refinanced on my own shortly after, and love the car. (wetwillie - yes, the rain sensitive wipers are the bomb)
  • I noticed that the dealer incentives on the 04 GTI went up from 1000 to 2000 dollars but the TMV is unchanged. Why is this?
  • Got mine at Metro VW and Audi here in San Diego. It is indigo blue, auto, sunroof, and monsoon system. Got it for 19,300 out the door including tax, title and reg.
  • I was wondering if anyone has purchased a New GTI (with the 2.0T)? Prices paid? I'm in the Atlanta area and the dealers seem to have a lot in stock (about 20 in the metro area).

Thanks
  • How come you got it for less than the MSRP?
    Was there a special deal?
  • dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    2006 GTI DSG 24 and 36 mth residuals and MF please ?

DL
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,432
    Ask here:

VW Golf: Lease Questions

Car_man will see it there.. Be sure and mention that it is the GTI model, and also the mileage allowance..

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Oh yeah Golf.. Thanks

DL
  • just got a new gti with 0 option and automatic dsg trany for 25,200 including taxes. Not sure if I got the best deal.

ps. had to return car due to a/c issues, waiting for another one to be shipped from germany. :confuse:
  • nmrtnmrt Posts: 56
    hi. i was looking to buy a new 2006 1.8T gti. how much below invoice shoudl i shoot for? i know when i bought a 2005 BMW 3 series last year it had a $2500 rebate to the dealer from BMW because of the new model 3 series. the situation is similar with the 1.8T 2006 GTIs now with the 2.0T now in the showrooms. but i dont see any rebates from VW?!

i woudl really appreciate if people coudl post their prices on a 2006 1.8T.

thanks.
  • Given that the new, MKV GLI can be bought at invoice, and the GTI a few hundred above invoice, I would start at perhaps $2,000 to $3,000 below invoice for the outgoing model and see what the dealer is willing to go for.

Don't forget, that car is going to be worth something like $5,000 to $7,000 less than MSRP once you drive it off the lot.

On second thought, the MKV is such a better car all around, personally, I would not spend more than $16,000 on a fully decked out new MKIV GTI. If you can't afford a MKV now (totally redesigned chassis, fully independent rear, new Wards Top 10 engine - incredibly broad torque range and relatively low fuel consumption, one of the safest cars on the road today), you may want to safe some money until you can or feel comfortable spending that much money.
    thanks for the advice allhorizon. i agree completely with one exception ;-). had i not driven the mark V gti,i woudl have loved the mark iv. there is absolutely no comparision. none! however, i am thinking about buying the car for two reasons:
    1) i bought the new body style jetta vr6 in 1999 when it first came out. now, i would prefer do to purchase a vw in the first year of production. i know about it being in europe for the past two years but i still find myslf uncomfortable purchsing util the mark v proves itself this side of the pond.

2) i think i can snag a good deal -- $3000 below the invoice before taxes and title for a fully decked out 2006 gti.

should i pull the trigger?
  • The MkV GTI is not in its first year of production, as it has been available in Europe and other markets for a few years already. Most probably the first-year bugs have been worked out.
  • It's a good deal, no question, and if you could really use the money (difference) elsewhere and rarely push the car beyond 80% of its capabilities anyway, I'd say go for it.

You are asking the wrong person, though. I have been wanting to replace my Golf with an AWD hatch for years, already. There is no way I would buy another FWD car that does not even have independent rear suspension!

I spend a great deal of my commute in the twisties, often under adverse conditions (rain, fog, mud, leaves, ...). So I need any help I can get, and also love the additional safety features of newer cars.
    so, i did it! 2006 gti all decked out: leather package, luxury package, 17 inch wheels -- all the works for 18.2K out the door.

the car is amazing. remember, i am coming from a corolla heh heh heh
  • Re: "all the works for 18.2K out the door. "

Sounds like a very good deal. Do you know what the insurance rates are on the GTI? I imagine they are astronomical, no?
  • allhorizonallhorizon Posts: 483
    Congratulations. You got yourself a great car.
    Thanks. i am enjoying it immensely. already put just over 1000 miles mostly highway at 75-85 mph. mpg was 30.7. the car it a blast to drive.

insurance: well, the insurance was not that high. i have a 1999 mazda and this 2006 1.8T GTI. i am paying $1045/year for both of them through liberty mutual.
  • congratulations for your recent purchase!!! just wondering... how did you get such a good deal? I've been doing some research and the invoice price on a 2006 GTI with pck#2 & 18in wheels is abt 24k - 25k. is the dealer trying to mess with me?
    thanks to advise
    I think he got a Golf IV. Not the New to NA V.

DL
    yes, i got the Mk IV NOT the Mk V. dont beat yourself up trying to get a bargain on thsee new gtis. i tried unsuccesfully. they did come down $500 off the MSRP. coudl they have come down more? i am not sure, perhaps if i had persisted they coudl have maybe a few hundred more.

if getting a bargain is that that big of a deal for you and you are willing to pay around the msrp for the new gti (2.0T), i woudl say go for it and forget saving a few hundred dollars. although the car is not worth the msrp, once you buy it and start driving, the grin on your face will be worth far more than the msrp.
  • thanks for the help!!!
    I'll see what I can bargain for & let you guys know
    rgds
  • Was wondering if you could provide the buy rate factor for March 2006 and the residual on a 2006 GTI with pkg #1 (MSRP $23,990). Thanks!!!
  • Forgot to mention that I was looking for a 3yr/12K lease.
    Thanks again!!!
    I think they are replying on the GOLF forum.

DL
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,432
    Ask your lease questions here:

Volkswagen Golf/GTI: Lease Questions

Car_man will be sure to see them there, and reply.

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• A local VW dealer gave me a price of $23,700 w/ package #1 and 18" wheels. But according to Edmunds this combo should go for about $700 less - and that info changed just from yesterday! It's now showing that there's a $1000 dealer rebate which wasn't there before. Also, there's a $309/mo lease deal on the '06 GTI! If I can get the price down to this price I'll go forward with it (I was supposed to pick up today and am waiting for the better price).
    You can allways sell your FAST on Ebay for that $700 ...

DL