Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen GTI Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• congratulations for your recent purchase!!! just wondering... how did you get such a good deal? I've been doing some research and the invoice price on a 2006 GTI with pck#2 & 18in wheels is abt 24k - 25k. is the dealer trying to mess with me?
    thanks to advise
  • dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    I think he got a Golf IV. Not the New to NA V.

DL
  • nmrtnmrt Posts: 56
    yes, i got the Mk IV NOT the Mk V. dont beat yourself up trying to get a bargain on thsee new gtis. i tried unsuccesfully. they did come down $500 off the MSRP. coudl they have come down more? i am not sure, perhaps if i had persisted they coudl have maybe a few hundred more.

if getting a bargain is that that big of a deal for you and you are willing to pay around the msrp for the new gti (2.0T), i woudl say go for it and forget saving a few hundred dollars. although the car is not worth the msrp, once you buy it and start driving, the grin on your face will be worth far more than the msrp.
  • thanks for the help!!!
    I'll see what I can bargain for & let you guys know
    rgds
  • Was wondering if you could provide the buy rate factor for March 2006 and the residual on a 2006 GTI with pkg #1 (MSRP $23,990). Thanks!!!
  • Forgot to mention that I was looking for a 3yr/12K lease.
    Thanks again!!!
    I think they are replying on the GOLF forum.

DL
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,898
    Ask your lease questions here:

Volkswagen Golf/GTI: Lease Questions

Car_man will be sure to see them there, and reply.

regards,
    kyfdx

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• A local VW dealer gave me a price of $23,700 w/ package #1 and 18" wheels. But according to Edmunds this combo should go for about $700 less - and that info changed just from yesterday! It's now showing that there's a $1000 dealer rebate which wasn't there before. Also, there's a $309/mo lease deal on the '06 GTI! If I can get the price down to this price I'll go forward with it (I was supposed to pick up today and am waiting for the better price).
    You can allways sell your FAST on Ebay for that $700 ...

DL
  • xinnekxinnek Posts: 6
    Just finding a 1.8t is going to be a quest in itself. You might try myfastgti.com there are several people there looking to unload their low mileage 1.8t gti's to get the new MKV
  • 98jettadc98jettadc Posts: 10
    I got the GTI Mark V with DVD Nav & sunroof, Tipt trans, 18" inch wheels, leather seats and Ipod connector for $28k even. It was worth it.

--> Notes for fellow music junkies:
    1. Only the CD changer in the dashboard will play mp3 CDROMs. The VW CD changer they put in the console between the front seats will NOT play mp3s.

2. If you have the DVD Nav and you get the Ipod connector, they will use the CD changer input for the Ipod. They will DISCONNECT the CD changer in order to connect the Ipod cable, so the CD changer is disabled with the Ipod connector installed.

3. The DVD nav stereo uses Ipod playlists to navigate the Ipod. 5 playlists max. It's the only good way to play what you want on the Ipod.
  • imontoyaimontoya Posts: 29
    Anyone get the DSG? I am seriously considering getting the newest GTI in August or so but there are a few things I don't like: 1) No mechanical limited slip differential. 2)I am unsure of VW reliability 3)The brakes don't seem to be all that great for a "sporty" car. Should I wait even longer before purchasing this car or is it unlikely that VW will make improvements anytime soon? :confuse:
  • fgslrfgslr Posts: 5
    I just bought the MK V GTI in Silver with the DSG trans and pkg 1 on 4/7/06. I have only owned manual trans cars for 37 years so was a little worried about DSG. Glad to say it is well worth the extra money for it. Much faster than I could shift with a clutch. The GTI acts like two different cars, a mild, automatic shifting, run around town car (that my wife loves) and a paddle shifting zippy sports car that I love. Best transmission I have ever had.

Also love the rest of the car and other than the minor items already mentioned on this forum, radio weak and the passenger airbag light, have found no problems with the car.

I owned the original GTI in 83 and this one is so far and away a better car in every aspect, that it would be hard to compare the two.
  • gogirlgogogirlgo Posts: 47
    I drove a red GTI yesterday and fell in love with the DSG. I have always owned manuals before and this car satisfies my need for driving in slow city traffic and fun on curvey mountain roads. I am so impressed by all the safety features on this car. It is a real drivers car. I did not consider the silver until seeing one yesterday. I thought it the most sporty looking along with the black. I can't make up my mind. The salesman said the gray was most popular color ordered.
  • I bought a Silver DSG w/ no package and so far I've been very happy with it. The DSG behaves more like a manual to me than an automatic. The gear shifts under acceleration can feel lurchy as in a manual trans. Also if you put the car in reverse and your nose is pointed down hill, the car will drift forward like it's in neutral. It sort of freaked me out the first time. All this said, the DSG feels to me far sportier than the average auto ESPECIALLY is sport shift mode.

This is my first VW, so I had concerns about reliability as well. My last car was reliable, but I spent all my time in it wishing I was driving something else. So reliability isn't everything I guess.

As for waiting...Word is this generation GTI will be replaced in 08, so don't expect to see many changes before the redesign.

I bought my gti on 3/24 which was about a week before the end of the quarter. I got the car for 22300 and with taxes/tags I was out the door for 23650. Probably could have gotten it for a little less, but the dealership I got it from was highly recommended and I was on a tight timeline (previous car was stolen). All in all what's a hundred bucks in the long run?
  • jpierce26jpierce26 Posts: 60
    I am in the market for a new car. My existing 3 year lease is up on June 25, 2006. I hear there is a four door coming out in June. I would much rather get a four door. Where can I find pics and info on the new four door gti?
    try Vwvortex.com The best site for Audi/VW. As for delivery dates I read that production would start week 22, meaning June and deliver in say Sept... A little later than we thought on the 4dr's, Rabbit included. :(

DL
  • imontoyaimontoya Posts: 29
    Maybe just shoot for the Audi A3 if you want more doors, it seems to be getting the better reviews too. One report I read said it handled better than the GTI (?).
  • haulin79haulin79 Posts: 7
    As with a manual transmission, is there a hand brake that you can pull to prevent the car from drifting when parked on a hill?