Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protege5 vs. Honda Civic

1235»

Comments

• sugoiyasugoiya Posts: 12
    I only got $2,000 for the '94 Civic. It had 75K and had rust damage on the undercarriage.

By the way, my P5 is my commuter. I've got an '02 MPV to haul around the wife and kids already. Dispite this I still found that having a compact sedan just isn't enough. You'd be surprised how much junk you have to load up just to take one of the little ones with you on an errand.

Baggs32:

Here's a little exercise I suggest you have your wife try out AFTER she gives birth. Get a 25lb bag of rice. Have her put the bag in the back seat of her coupe without 1)hitting her head 2)straining her back 3) swinging the car door wide engough to hit the car next to you.

If she still doesn't get the message replace the 25lb bag with a 50lb one.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,212
    That's great sugoiya! Only problem is, I've been relegated to driving the coupe even though the Escape replaced my car. :( So now I have to convince her to replace MY car again.

I'll still try it though. I'll put her on five inch heels so she's about the same height as me and then make her load the rice into the back. That'll learn her!!! ;)
  • sugoiyasugoiya Posts: 12
    By the way, contratulations to you and your wife. Here's some more fatherly advice:

I'm not sure how old your Civic is, but you may want to check the seatbelts. Pull them all the way out and see if they lock up once you start retracting them. If they don't you CAN'T mount a child seat back there unless it's equipped with LATCH brackets and a head tether bracket. My '94 didn't have any of these which made the car all the more kid unfriendly.

If you're seriously shopping for something to replace the Civic, buy your baby gear first (including a big Costco size box of diapers) and bring it with you to the dealer. Practice loading and unloading right there on the dealer's lot before you even take a test drive. The last thing you want to do is find out the car's too small AFTER spending $20-30K.

Finally, because both of your cars are on the small side, you should put some thought into shopping a little bigger (i.e. minivan, large SUV). Especially if mom is hinting that the bun currently in the oven may not be the last. A minivan/mini-SUV combo can handle much more expansion than a midsize/mini-SUV combo can. The price difference isn't that much either, especially if you can live without the leather seats, DVD players and power sliding doors.
  • boggseboggse Posts: 1,048
    Motor Trend reports that Honda plans to import the "Civic-based multipurpose vehicle, the Stream, to North America next year..."

We will get the 2.0L engine and it will be called the Latitude.

Here is the link to the Japanese website:

http://www.honda.co.jp/auto-lineup/stream/
  • iamziamz Posts: 542
    micro-van.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    here's a direct link to our Honda Latitude discussion. And let's get back to the subject of the Mazda Protege5 vs. Honda Civic. Thanks!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • hddhdd Posts: 2
    Smasher - funny I have an '87 Integra I'm planning on getting rid of for a P5. Mine's got a busted spedometer & therefore non-winding odomete (probaby 140k miles), a half a muffler, a hole in the floorboard under my clutch foot and body damage galore. Maybe I should reconsider the donation and try to do a trade-in. But damn... no CD player!!! :)

Anyhow, I drove the P5 and it's definitely a fun car to drive. My only complaint was the bumpy ride. But the price (especially right now) can't be beat. If I can find a car with color & options I want, I may take the plunge. for my taste, the Si just can't match the styling of the P5. Great thread, great group. thanks.
  • Yeah, hdd: it is good. Other than the obvious stuff (a much newer car with all the technical refinements of the last 16 years), you'll like the trunk space (higher and deeper, with almost no liftover), cargo space (a little narrower, but taller and more accessible), ingress/egress, headroom, cupholders, and torquier, more flexible engine. (You really don't have to wind it up as much at all.)

The driver's seat is really, really good--much more comfortable on long trips.

Regarding the ride and handling: my Integra had slighly firmer shocks and lower ride height--kind of a Stage 1 upgrade. The P5 feels about the same, maybe ever so softer. I don't mind the ride at all. The handling on the PR5 is excellent, and steering is *superb*. I was very pleasantly surprised at how well this car sticks. Those Mazda folks really know how to dial in a chassis.

Winter traction is a different story. I haven't driven it much in the snow, but the stock tires are biased toward fair-weather handling, not all-season traction. I don't think it's any worse than my Integra was, but I'm thinking of springing for a set of winter wheels/tires.
1235»
This discussion has been closed.