Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo XC70 V70 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• End of year clearance - dealer getting rebate . . i think
  • jim314jim314 Posts: 491
    If this is a brand new vehicle (test driven some so odo < ~100 miles but not a demonstrator vehicle), then I would say two things:

(1) It sounds like a terrific deal, and

(2) The Edmunds TMV value is not credible; some buyers are getting new vehicles for very much less than the TMV.
  • Brand new vehicle approx 15 miles on it w/ plastic still covering the leather seats. Contacted internet sales rep who quoted a price of 31, 800 and then got them down to 30, 800 as I had saw a similar vehicle at another dealership for that price. Was pretty easy. There is a $2500 dealer incentive to move the 2008s by the end of this month.
  • I picked one up at the end of August for about $6500 off MSRP it was a demo with 50 miles, so the warranty clock had been ticking for 6mo or so. Stickered just shy or $40,000, got it for $33,500
  • We have found a 2005 V70 R for sale from a private owner. It has 35,000 miles on it and seems to have had all service completed by the dealership and is in good condition.

What would be a good price for this vehicle?

Are there any recurring issues with this model we should be sure to have the mechanic check?

Thanks
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,887
    Try asking here.

don't forget to include ALL the details. Does it have heated seats (climate pack), moonroof and memory seats (premium pack)? Color and location help, too.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• Is it really possible that nobody has purchased a 2008 or 2009 XC70 since 09/30/08? If so, what aren't the dealers willing to deal? I have talked with several dealers in Central Illinois and Eastern Iowa and this is all I am coming up with...

$10000 off a 2008 (sticker:44,960) and $9000 trade for my '04 XC70 with 51,000 miles. $25,473 OTD with tax, etc. Been on the lot for over a year.

The numbers on the '09's (t6 or I6) are about the same.

At this point, I am willing to just sit and wait for the Mktg $ on the '09's.

Am I being unreasonable? I just figured that if all these volvos are sitting on the lots, I would expect a little more?
  • I'm also trying to figure this out. From everything we hear, car dealers are desperate to move cars - we're told they're practically giving them away. I would think they'd be happy to have some cash flow at this point, but I guess I'm not being realistic. I don't need a new car but it thought it would be nice to have one. I'm not going to do anything unless I can get the car I want at the price I want. I'll keep my eyes open, is all at this point.
    well, dealers don't want to take a big loss, either. They need manufacturer support. And, I don't know all the circumstances or inner workings, but maybe Volvo being on the auction block from Ford could affect such support. (?)

• I finally pulled the trigger on a new XC70. Based on all the legwork I did as well as other offers, I received, I feel pretty good about the transaction. Here is what I did...

I was looking locally in smaller markets for a 2008 XC70 and really had little or no luck. (see previous post #345) So, I googled "largest volume volvo dealer and expanded my search to the two closest dealerships that had the largest inventory of '08's. I emailed both and got their best prices on the model I was looking for. One was in MPLS and the other in St. Louis. Both places were considerably better than any of the local dealers I had talked to in Central Illinois. I then searched the local dealers inventory to find the exact options I was quoted from the big city dealers.

I found a 2008 XC70 with premium pkg, Climate, personal car comm., and sat prep. Sticker price was $41,980. My trade was a '04 XC70 with 54,000 miles and similar options. I also had dent on my driver's door that was quoted $800 to fix from my local guy. When I met with the local dealer, I took my Blackberry with both offers in my email. The dealer first offered $21k plus tax, etc. and I got up to leave. They asked what my offer was and I told them $20k OTD. Well, the guy took it. I was in shock. I didn't have a check, nothing. We contacted my credit union and sealed things up. Here's the breakdown...

Sale Price: $30,258
    Trade: $11,258
    Tax: $1330
    Title:$78
    Total: $20,000 OTD

I felt pretty good. Let me know your thoughts...
    Sounds pretty good, but your numbers don't quite add up. $30,258-$11,258=$19,000
    $19,000+$1330+$78=$20,408 OTD

• Sorry, I was trying to calculate it backwards. The deal was 20k OTD
    No problem. It sounds pretty good.

I mean, the way I'd look at it is, since it looks like you had the last one for 4 years, you may have this one for 4 years, so you're paying $20k to rent the car for 4 years. At $5k/year, it would be like leasing one for ~$417/mo with $0 down, which is quite good. :)

• jcwcalijcwcali Posts: 4
    Bought a new 2008 (left over) XC70 on 4/09 in Southern Cali, list price $48,100. Loaded with options, similar new 2009 lists for $4,000.00 less. Paid 33,200. I have always leased my cars (usually BMW's for @ 15 years) but this deal seemed to good to be true. We love the car and have a total of 200 miles and one warranty service already. Maybe this is a result of being owned by Ford!
    The dealer who serviced the car "Rusnack Volvo Pasadena" has bent over backwards to make things right, even though I did not purchase the car from them. Other than having to add bluetooth we are very excited about the new ride and are enjoying the "Grateful Dead Channel" on Serious Sat, while rolling down the road!
  • kmausskmauss Posts: 74
    Hi all,

I drove my first Volvo last night and to say I was deeply impressed is a major understatement. I absolutely loved it. I drove two different XC 70's -- both five years old and far more solid than many new American cars, and the seats - to die for! I was really amazed at how well it drove, handled, the power, all of it. It was like nothing I had ever driven before. But having said all that gushy stuff......

I am not at the point of buying anything yet, despite a moment of serious temptation last night. I have heard some real horror stories about Volvo lemons :lemon: that would put you in the poorhouse and on the opposite end of the spectrum, have heard from many near religous devotees who swear they are the best car ever made and run them to 250K miles with no problems. I've heard little in between. It leaves me to wonder what the deal is. Are some years bad years? Is it just luck of the draw?

I will have a very modest budget for replacing my leased Impala. I really can't go over about $350 per month, so my only option would be to purchase one with some years and miles on it. The great attraction to a car like this IS the possibility of getting many good years from it after it's paid off, unlike certain other American vehicles that have been disposable at five years old. (Like a certain Intrepid that broke my heart and my bank account before I ditched it! :cry: ) But on the other hand, it won't do me much good to have a nice car that's always in the shop and bankrupting me.

So I would really love to hear from some XC70 owners - the good, the bad and the ugly. I have plenty of time to make decisions -- my lease isn't up for months yet. If I do decide to go this route, I want to make sure I walk into it with my eyes wide open.

Thank you all VERY much in advance!
    Karen
  • jim314jim314 Posts: 491
    Look at the Subaru Outback and Forester and compare with the XC70. There are some maintenance problems with the Volvo geartronic transmission and all-wheel-drive (AWD) and turbocharger systems. Be sure to compare Subarus with the same safety equipment as the XC70--full airbags and dynamic stability and traction control.

I got a 2004 V70 base model 2.4L 168 hp gasoline non-turbo as a hand-me-down and it has performed perfectly. It is great on the interstate, great mpg, but cannot handle rough roads.

See this and scroll down to "Elusive World Car?"
    I have heard some real horror stories about Volvo lemons :lemon: that would put you in the poorhouse and on the opposite end of the spectrum, have heard from many near religous devotees who swear they are the best car ever made and run them to 250K miles with no problems. I've heard little in between. It leaves me to wonder what the deal is.

When researching cars, this is pretty much the norm you will find on the internet. Keep in mind, folks seek out a forum on which to spew the extreme examples (for the most part). Those thousands and thousands of owners who have no issues have no reason to go looking for a forum on which they can vent.

Thanks Jim! I very much intended to go and look at Subarus as well as several other things that interest me. I also like the Honda CRV even though it's a completely different animal - looked at one of them like 2 years ago. Drove a Ford Edge two weeks ago and was surprised how much I liked it as well.
    K.
    You make a VERY good point! I have noticed that when looking at many different vehicles American, European, Japanese, etc. There are few reviews in the middle of the bell curve!

I was given some very good advice by an experienced mechanic today. He said if it's a used Volvo and you know it's been regularly serviced by the dealership, it is probably a very good bet. But if you don't know where it's been, or who may have done what to it, run away, run away as they say in Monty Python! He said in his experience, local mechanics, good as they may be on 'normal' cars don't have the extremely pricey software needed to even do normal maintenance on Volvos and thus they get permanently screwed up. I never would have thought about that - as unmechanically inclined as I am, I thought an oil change is an oil change! :surprise: Would you all tend to agree with him?

Many thanks! :)
    Karen
    yup. That's pretty much true of any used car. Service history is a VERY good thing to have.