Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Malibu Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• I took delivery of my silver Maxx LS on 10-18-04. The vehicle was a base LS with no add ons. It too was a dealer demo driven by one of the dealership's sales managers since May 04. It had 7100 miles and had the 7500 mile service completed. I was very happy with the service and sales at Mirak Chevrolet. I feel like I got a great deal on this car and they are committed to my satisfaction.
    Paid $17495.00 plus tax and title.
    Was originally offered a 6 yr 60,000 mile warranty for $895.00 (warranty started at delivery miles so good to 67,100 miles on the odometer) but asked about more miles and instead opted for a 5 yr 75,000 mile warranty for the same price. So my warranty now covers the vehicle until 10-18-2009 or the odometer reads 82,1000. The only thing I wish mine had was the xm but I am looking into an aftermarket system. I just purchased an aftermarket gps system and it works fabulous. It's the Garmin Quest, it is very small and has enough memory for detailed street level maps of the NE and highway maps of all of N. America. Also talks to you "Turn left in 300ft" Only $599.00
  • joe3891joe3891 Posts: 759
    Read page 12 of your warranty booklet,demo milage not covered and even new non-demo is only covered to 1000 miles. Where did you get your information ?
  • yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    Do not know about MI, but in CT the 6% sale tax is charged from the full price, including rebates and GM Card points. CT used to tax even trade-ins, but dropped it several years ago. Does not tax what you negotiate with dealer.

For example, with MSRP $27,000, dealer price $25,500, and trade-in $2500, the full amount of $23,000 is taxed at 6%, with total tax $1380. Your $3500 GM rebate will be considered to be a part of downpayment. The same with $1000 GM card money, and the current $1000 GM card bonus. I am not sure about GMAC bonus, but most probably it taxed too.

In other words, of the total $1380 sale tax, $390 ( 6% of $3500+1000+1000+1000) is tax on rebates.

On the other hand, coupons are not taxed.
  • Just purchased our '05 this week. It's an LT w/1SB and rear DVD. (no On-Star, no 6 disc CD). I'm not much of a haggler, but the salesman is a good friend of mine.....he's still a salesman nonetheless, so I'm not sure if I received the best deal-or if I'm his latest victim...I even told him as much!!! I won't let him forget how he ripped my head off on this deal no matter how well he thinks he treated me....I had no trade either.

MSRP was $27,345.00
    GM Rebate 2,000.00

I paid $23,500 plus tax/title/plates fees. He had to dealer trade to find the Medium Gray color w/the rear DVD so he said that he couldn't "get into the holdback" for me. This, after reading other posts, appears to be legitimate.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Posts: 2,554
    Sounds like he gave you a pretty decent deal, especially since you are earlier in the model year. Invoice on that vehicle is about $2,000 below MSRP (I didn't look up the exact figures), so he seems to have sold you the car for just about dealer invoice minus the rebates. You can't really expect to do much better than that.
  • Thanks bluedevils,

I'm one of those that don't haggle much and was simply relying on the advice from a friend/salesman. Nice to know he really was treating me okay on the deal. I walked into his dealership with my checkbook and drove out 15 min. later with the car...no hassle/no haggle....I guess there is something to be said for that too. I keep my vehicles for 8-10 years so I'm looking forward to the experience.
  • e2helpere2helper Posts: 1,002
    GMS refers to GM Supplier Discount

https://www.gmsupplierdiscount.com/pages/sd_login.jsp

There is a FAQ Link off this page
    Actually, I thought GMS referred to the GM employee pricing, not the supplier discount pricing. Have I been using the wrong term?

On our 2004 Maxx, we got the GM employee pricing - a grandparent was a GM employee so that is how we qualified for the employee pricing.

On our Maxx, which had a $27,250 MSRP, the employee price was about $1,100 less than the supplier discount price.
  • e2helpere2helper Posts: 1,002
    Whoops I am wrong :)

Yes bluedevils is correct

For some reason the term "(GMS)" is always following any text talking about the "predetermined Vehicle Purchase Program price" in documentation for that program.

I thought it was an acronym and was trying to make some sense out of it.

One of the forms I saw talked abou GMS or GMU price so I know it must mean something and am still looking :LOL
  • bhw77bhw77 Posts: 101
    Hi All,

04 Malibu MAXX LS 1SB option Silver/gray
    Sticker price: $23150
    Sale Price: $14999
    GM Card Points: $3100
    Total: $11900 + TTL + dealer fee
    Out of the door : $12895
    Selling Dealer: QUIRK in Braintree, MA
    Sales person: Roger Landry
    Vehicles have been heavily advertise in "Boston Globe" and "Boston Herald" and they still have some inventory left.
    Purchasing process was completely painless. Sales person was great.
    I guess I did good.....
    You got more than $8,000 off MSRP? How much bargaining was involved? Did you start from GMS pricing, or was this an 'open-to-the-public' deal? I know it is model year clearance time and nearing calendar year-end, but that seems like more of a discount than I would have expected. How much are the rebates in your area?

Was any trade-in involved, or just a straight Maxx purchase?
  • bhw77bhw77 Posts: 101
    No bargaining at all. Vehicle has been advertised in local papers: "Boston Globe" and "Boston Herald". I just called - dealership confirmed price and vehicle availability and that is pretty much it.
    They still have it
    http://www.quirkcars.com/specials/chevy/ad.htm
    You still have to finance at least $10K via GM finance.
    I am planning to pay it off within 3 month
  • Car_man "Rebates, Incentives, APRs - Questions & Comments" Dec 7, 2004 1:08pm

from car_man:
    No details of this promotion, called the "Red Tag Sales Event" are available yet, but it would definitely be in the best interest of anyone who is considering purchasing a GM product to hold off on buying anything for a few days (it is rumored that the new program will begin on the 10th).

Check our Rebates, Incentives & APRs discussion for updates!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Purchased a new Maxx LT on 12/10. Had the $3500.00 rebate, addl $1500.00 off w/GMAC finance, GM card upped allowance from $875.00 to an even $2000.00, dealer discounted $1700.00, trade of $12000.00. Mistake was $199.00 security etch add-on and $159.00 dealer handling fee. UGH!
    So you were able to apply the full $2,000 GM 'earnings' on this vehicle? I haven't checked, but I thought the limit for Maxx was somewhere less than that. I was wondering if the full $2,000 could be used since GM was boosting it to that amount as a special bonus. Our GM Card earnings are < $500 and we received a letter recently, informing us that GM had bumped this amount up to $2,000 for a certain time period.
  • Local dealer has a 2004 Maxx LT with Onstar has the only option. Sticker is $25,420. Red tag price is between $18,500 and $18,900 (can't remember exactly). Does this sound about right. I have $2,000 in bonus GM earnings I can use. Anything else that I could do to get a lower price?

Thanks in advance.
  • According to the sales agreement, we received the full $2000. The GM card earnings were increased to this amount. I felt it was time to use the combination together, and really had no problem. You have even a better deal with less earnings than my original card, if they are bumping you up to 2K. Cheers!
  • We wanted one without the onstar, dvd, self adjusting mirror, I believe it was the LS1 package. It was hard to find, as most have the upgrades. Sounds like a good price to me for a car which is loaded.
  • I bought my MAXX back in May 2004 and they e-mailed me something saying that I am eligible for the GM Supplier program. If I traded in my Malibu for an Equinox would they honor the rebates plus give me more of a discount also? Or would just give you the Supplier program price and that would be it?

Discounts are about $2,000 for an Equinox