Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Malibu Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,179
    Even though this is a pricing discussion, we deal mostly in new cars..

For educated answers to your question, you might try re-posting it here: Real-World Trade-In Values

Or, here: Purchasing Used Vehicles

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• paopao Posts: 1,867
    you really have to compare what is covered and the class..the prices listed..are those for the bumper to bumper covers all components and basically everything but tires, wipers and batteries...with varying levels for your deduction....which is GMs best plan

not familiar with toyota warranties....but a 7/75 for 520 seems very good...is that a third party warranty or is that directly through Toyota?
  • concertkeyconcertkey Posts: 59
    That warranty is a Toyota warranty with a $0 deductible.

I was considering purchasing a GM warranty because our 2004 Malibu has started to creak when the steering wheel is turned and/or the car starts to move. It is intermittent, however, which is harder to diagnose. I will post this problem in another forum for help before taking it back to the dealership this summer.
    well if you got that warranty for 520..you got one sweet deal..most of the toyota forums are saying the 6/100 is running 1300 or so with a high of 1900....which runs higher that some of the GM warranty
  • mfletou1mfletou1 Posts: 508
    I'm sorry but $6700 for an '03 Malibu (last body style) is just too high. You should be able to do better than that.
  • Hello All,
    I'm a father that just turned 50. Got a son, 18, and a daughter 23. A year ago i got my daughter a used malibu classic 2004 with 11k miles, paid around 9k i believe.

After hearing constant complaining and whining about the interior design for a one year old car, [the shift selector was a common one] i decided to let her do what she wants with it. [ mind you she's not spoiled in any way, at the time had two more years of law school left at UF left, Go Gators!]

Anyways, long story short, she got a decent trade in value for it and got an 06 scion TC....MANUAL! at first i thought that after 23 years of parenthood i made my biggest mistake. Turns out, quite the oppsite. She learned stick in a little over a week and enjoys the car in gainesville everyday.

The point of my post, i'm surprised how many of your are actually happy with this car, i would've never guessed, with GM's future and all. Personally, soon after she traded in her car, i got about a measly 65% of what i paided for my 2005 Explorer and got a Honda Pilot...opinions???

Doesn't matter how devoted American car lover are, the numbers lie...pilot gets slightly better gas milage, stlying, less recalls, and actually holds value.
  • kingrkingr Posts: 60
    I'm starting to look at the Maxx SS, It's been a long time since I bought a Chevy. Can anyone tell me what a good price would be for a 2006 Maxx SS now. I'm looking at the base SS no options, Edmunds shows the invoice price to be 22,758 w/dest. Can I expect to get it for much less than invoice.
    Thanks
  • shadow5599shadow5599 Posts: 101
    You mentioned she bought a 04 Classic, that is a leftover 03 only sold to rental companies and is NOT the same car as the redesigned 04 and newer. There is no comparison to the newer Malibu and the 03 and previous models (and 04 classic).

The Malibus that people rave about on these forums are most likely the NEW design, 04 and newer, NOT including the "classic"

Just thought I'd mention that in case you werent aware.
  • jes1955jes1955 Posts: 8
    There is a local dealer that still has four leftover 2005 Maxx's. One of them has MSRP of $24,965. What would be a reasonable price for this car considering its over a year old? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
    offer him 14K and see what he responds with..its two model years old now...and he is paying interest on them.....
  • rick54rick54 Posts: 1
    I had the same thing happen with my 2004 malibu and then unexpectedly lost the poer sterring a couple of times making a turn. Not long maybe 5 seconds or so and then it would come back. seems there was a known problem with the sterring column and they replaced it on warranty.
    I got him down to $17,965. What do you think?
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    I paid $16K in February 2005 for an 05, although it was a base LS. Almost exactly $6K off. Given the markup of the extras on your car plus sitting on the lot for more than a year I think you should be able to get this for the low $17's. What's he going to get for it when the 07's are out?
  • luvmbootyluvmbooty Posts: 271
    Going to see salesman today. Thought info would help. Thanks!
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    There isn't a lot of discounting on GM right now since they "repriced" their entire line to a lower level.

The LS standard Malibu is a steal. There is about a $600 price differential between the '06 and the '07 - the '07 has stock side curtain airbags, very nice to have.

Obviously you are more likely to get a dealer discount on a 2006 than on a 2007.

Start by asking for the fleet sales department, be considerate of their time, and ask for their best price.

If you get a 2006, check the "build date" on the small tag riveted usually to the driver's side door frame - it shows the actual date of construction. For an '06, try to buy one that has been on the lot 5 months or less.

Some Malibus are optioned up and very expensive; the base LS model is only $17k though, if you can live with a 4 cylinder (it is actually quite peppy).

The best way to have a heads up on pricing is to go the Chevrolet.com and use the Build and Price option to find out what's available as options and colors. You can fairly readily get any dealer with a warm body and a pulse to show you their invoice and sell to you for anywhere from their invoice price to $600 over invoice. Don't under any circumstances pay "dealer pack" a side sticker on the window with mostly appearance items.

Where most buyers give back to the dealer is actually in the finanance department, for above market rate interest rates, or protection plans of various sorts. So don't let your guard down at that stage. Check the eloan or other online car loan rate before going in so you know what is "fair."

Good luck! Some things you just have to jump in and try...
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    If you feel uncomfortable asking for the "fleet sales" person, you can ask for the "GM Buypower sales rep" which is sort of the consumer version of the same thing, and is often the same person.
  • cwesleygcwesleyg Posts: 64
    I paid like $18.5K for mine at end of season (employee price for everyone) special... I wouldn't pay over $16K for such a late purchase on a 2005 now... it is a used car in my book, even if it was never titled.
    You are looking at buying a car with an older style GM V6... those miles are prime time for major failures. I wouold not buy that car. Expect a head gasket issue soon. Always assume the dealer has a 10...
    Thanks for the advice. I might try to visit the dealer in person this weekend. He still has four of them according to their web site. I'm not very good at "dealing", but I would think they'd be happy to sell one of these cars.
  • Any have any idea what a 1999 Malibu LS with standard options and 61,000 miles is worth an the private aftermarket? Very clean with no accidents. 3.1 engine. Thanks.
    go to www.kbb.com and price it for a private party sell
  • Thanks, I'll try it.
    http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/ke.kb.sp?kbb&&&usedCars;slp

$4500.00 Excellent, $4085.00 Good, $3580.00 Fair

It is a buyer's market on used cars. I would not pay a penny over the Good price, even if it is mint.
  • Hi, I got a quote of 2006 Malibu LT 2LT(3.5L V6)+AY0(side impact ab) @ 17700. Tax and fees not included... I am living in Seattle WA. Any ideas of whether its a good deal or not? Thanks a lot!
  • rygonrygon Posts: 2
    I can tell you that we just got a 2006 LT Malibu Maxx with the extra airbags, xm radio, rear wiper, and 14,000 miles (gm certified) for 16,700 out the door. Even if it is new I think you could go down a bit on that in my part of the country.
  • I hoped you did not pay that much. I got my Maxx LT for $17000 OTD in the mid of November. I live in Northern Virginia close to DC.
  • gonogogonogo Posts: 872
    In my area new 06 Maxx, $14,995 and no takers for a month now.
  • ymchnymchn Posts: 5
    Want to get a 2LT in Ventura, CA area, but the dealer's quote is much higher than the others posted in this forum. Can anybody share some experience about usually how much you can cut off from dealer's quote?
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    In 05 I got six grand off an 05 Maxx. Of course the 06's weren't marked up that much.

1. I think GM just put some more discounts and dealer money in to clear out 06's.
    2. I know the LA auto show is already over. Any other auto show discounts on horizon?
    3. If they're selling a Maxx for under $15 you should be able to do better with a 4 door sedan. There's still a quirk factor with the Maxx, the 4 door is going to be completely eclipsed by the new 08.
    4. Don't be afraid to buy from a more distant dealer. The 'Bu is an extremely low maintenance car. Mine's only been to the dealer twice in 40 thousand miles. Your selling dealer doesn't have to be your servicing dealer.
    5. Always deal with the Internet sales, there's less $$$ given out to a local sales person that way. Edmunds should give you 3 or more easy dealer quotes but do a zone search with other stickers on Chevy's web site and contact other Chevy dealers by Internet.
    6. In addition to Edmunds, TrueDelta can be helpful in running down national pricing leaders.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,890
    A national news magazine is looking to interview recent GM car buyers (Chevrolet, Pontiac, GMC, Cadillac, Saturn, Buick, Hummer, Saab) that switched from a Toyota or considered purchasing a Toyota. If you are interested, please send an email to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, January 29, 2007 containing your daytime contact information.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews