Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Malibu Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mazda6dudemazda6dude Posts: 283
    Does this price include tax, license and fees? Also, if you don't mind, what dealership is this? Nice purchase.
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,195
    Was this brand new or was it a demonstrator? Wow, that is a phenomenal price, sort of makes me feel like we were raped. We paid $19,610 (MSRP $20,225) in Boston for the LS but we added after-market leather for an additional $1,300.
    Good luck with your ride. Nice car only positive comments from all who've seen the car. It's like a driving bill board for GM.
  • MSRP - Base, Floor Mats, and Dest - $20075

Paid - $18997

Bought in Frisco, TX

Personally, I'd prefer a prostate exam over the new car buying experience. This was no exception.
  • jfritschjfritsch Posts: 958
    In doing some research it says on edmunds here that the 2007 -Pontiac G6 sedan is based on the same platform as the new malibu and saturn. A 2007 used g6 4cyl msrp 21000 barely wholesales for 12000. This is a GM car very similar to the malibu, although I like the malibu interior better. Its highly likely though the malibu will wholesale about the same.

Currently the G6 incentive is about 3500 off and 2.9% for 60 months.A purchase about invoice would put one at 4500+ off with the 2.9%. The msrp on both vehicles is similar.

Don't pay msrp for a malibu. You want at least 4500 off the base and much more off the 24000 LT 4cyl. You can get one helluva Impala LT3 3.9v6 loaded msrp 25000 for about 19000-20000. Give it a little more time for production to fill the lots, if it hasn't already.

Good luck
    --jjf
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    There is no reason to pay MSRP on a Malibu especially since people don't need to pay MSRP for a Camry or Accord.
    However, just because a G6 is on the same platform, doesn't mean a 2008 Malibu will have the same resale value as a G6.
    Resale value is determined by supply, demand and desirability, not platform.

Since the new Malibu is much more desirable and much more highly rated in reviews and has better styling in and out than a G6 and is also in much lower supply since there will not be so many 1 year old ex-rentals competing with new Malibus, it will have better resale than a G6.

The new Accord will probably have the best resale because it has the fewest ex-rentals competing with new Accords, but the Malibu will at least be much better than a G6 in resale.
  • beach15beach15 Posts: 1,305
    No, it WON'T, because the Malibu is not and will not be fleeted to the level the G6 ever was, and is a significantly better car. The G6 is thought of as Version 1, of sorts, for the platform and doesn't have the styling, refinement, or interior the Aura or Malibu, especially, do. And it is fleeted HEAVILY, and has very poor resale because of that.

The Malibu will not, years down the line, sell used for only a couple grand under new...but continually looking at the Impala, G6, etc. and what has happened with them are bad examples--all vehicles, from the getgo, acknowledged as being highly fleeted, sold at great discounts, etc. The Malibu is one of the later vehicles that is working to change this greatly, and will, with continued success.

And your idea of discounts on the Malibu is INSANE. The reason you can get thousands off of an Impala is because there are rebates, bonuses, etc. always laying on the hood. With the Malibu, as with a most newer and newer GM's, there is a very small margin between invoice and MSRP, so very little dealers can cut into for discounting and no cash on the hood to further subtract.

The absolute best deal you will get anywhere, for some time, will be a few hundred under invoice and that's it. Just because you can get a loaded Impala on a 20 year old platform and with a gruff V6 for close to the same as a loaded 4-cyl Malibu...that's not a valid point of comparison. The Malibu is a more sophisticated and refined vehicle, on a much more modern platform, has no rebates, etc.

Again, it's not perfect, but some of the illogical posts people are pulling out of their behinds on Edmunds in regards to the Malibu are incredible, and not in a good way.
  • g6leaserg6leaser Posts: 48
    Hello all,
    This was my first trip to a local Chevy Dealer with a test drive of the 2008 2LT Malibu - had premium audio package and sun room. (MSRP $25,015).
    I have the GMS Supplier Discount Rate $23,982.04. Here was the first offers, any help getting these lower would be much appreciated...

- plus I'm doing the pull-ahead program (have 3 months left on 2005 Pontiac G6 Lease)

$1,000 down - quoted 3.15 APR
    For 39 months (12k/year) quoted $373.31
    For 39 months (15k/year) quoted $393.40

Is the residual % still %50 for the 2008 Malibu?
    I went online and used a lease calculator and with the same figures it came up with
    $333.96 - but I don't think I included delivery charge or any other fee's - not sure what they are.

Any advice to go in and negotiate this under $350 would be much appreciated - please respond here or email erodaman@optonline.net

Thanks,
    ER
    There are some paint color changes.
    Power adjustable pedals no longer available
    6-speed automatic available on all 4 cylinders except LS.
    Bluetooth available on most models except LS.
    Stability control now standard on all including the LS.

They will start taking orders for 2009s in a few weeks and start actually building them around June 16th so dealers should start getting the first 2009s by July.
  • personatechpersonatech Posts: 101
    Interesting that they decided to drop power adjustable pedals - not that I mind that much, but they do lend a bit of an upscale cachet to the car. Very much looking forward to the 6-speed auto paired with the 4 - I test-drove a new Malibu a couple of months ago and was pleasantly surprised at the strength of the 4 - the 6-speed should bump up MPG slightly. Also great to hear about stability control - that's quickly becoming an expected safety feature.

Any news on '09 pricing? Dual-mode hybrid?
    The never announce pricing this far in advance and they haven't said anything about a new hybrid coming at that time. Most likely, pricing will be announced by June.
  • Sticker - 23,135
    Offer - 21,900 (invoice)
    Minus owner loyalty 1000
    Minus GM card 2809
    Minus Citi Bank Card 1400

Paid 16,991

I've only driven it 100 miles so far but this one is night and day difference compared to the previous 2 Malibu's I have, a 2000 and a 2004 Maxx.
    Wow, great deal, right at invoice--you did well, especially with the owner loyalty cash now;)

And having driven an '07 for a month that I loved, which then transformed into mom buying the '08...I completely agree on your sentiments.
    Looking at the Saturn aura base (21000 msrp) used 07 it wholesales for about 13500 (kbb.com). It is virtuallly the same car as the Malibu LS. The pontiac G6 which is based on a similar platform wholesales for $12000. ($21000) msrp, although admittedly not as nice.

The $20,000 base 08 Malibu LS has $13000 written all over it in a year. The $25000 msrp model in the mid $15000's. This depreciation would be in line with the other models and the previous ( now classic) 07 bodystyle.

I would wait for some of the hype to die down in the auto press and try to get as close to $4000 off the base 08 LS as possible, more off the more expensive models, or equivalent financing. I'd try to repeat this toward November or sooner with the 09's.

Good luck
    --jjf
  • katyhykatyhy Posts: 13
    I just test drove the 08 LTZ this morning and the very first thing I noticed was the hard plastic interior which was a big turn off. Everything else was nice with the exception of not being able to purchase a NAV system. The salesperson said that they were running a "special" wherein you only pay the dealers' invoice. I'm in the Orlando, FL area and this is what they quoted to me:

$27,505 - invoice (mine had the sunroof, rear power package which was basically a rear power outlet and a shade for the back window)
    - 1,000 - GM loyalty cash
    + 2,654 - tax, tag, title (wasn't trading in anything)
    $29,159 - out the door price

What are your thoughts out there who have recently purchased the LTZ? I hate the whole dealership experience and would rather just cut to the chase with a fair bottom line offer.
    That price seems a bit high even with the sun roof. I would offer them $26K. By the way, I don't quite agree with your characterization of the interior plastic as hard. The plastic is textured and firm but not hard. For comparison, perhaps you should check out the Camry and other mid-size cars in this category. According to most reviewers the tactile feel in the Malibu is superior to the others.
  • katyhykatyhy Posts: 13
    Thanks for your input. I've driven a few other cars and feel like the Malibu's interior door coverings are right up/down there with the Chrysler products. It was the very first thing I saw when I opened the door - I don't even like it on my husband's Tahoe. Maybe it's just me. I've also driven the Camry Solara and thought that the interior was nice. Sebring convertible had a beautiful exterior but horrible interior - plus the convertible top ate up most of the trunk space. Felt that the Ford Fusion was boring. The Volkswagon Eos was very nice - I know it's not in the same category but I'm torn between a convertible and a "regular" car. As far as pricing, I hate this part of the whole negotiating ordeal. So you say $26k is fair - I'll keep note of that. I still have to drive the Hyundai Sonata Ltd and that will end my test drives of the sedan vehicles.
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    One, I would ask to see the dealers invoice....I would offer 27 out the door including Tax and Title... I can get a LTZ in Northern Va for 900-1000 under dealer invoice at the moment....
    I am thinking about buying a new 2008 Chevy Malibu 4 cylinder LT1. What do you all think is a good price including TTL? Feedback would be appreciated.
    In the Boston area I see a couple dealers advertising at $2,000 below invoice on the LS. But invoice to them includes advertising.
    A mazda 3 i or s sport sedan is about the same width as the malibu, height and is 14" shorter. It seems to have the comparable dimensions as to hip and leg room. The 14" seems to cost you about 25% in luggage capacity, although you gain that back and more with the mazda s sport hatch 5 door.

Even the 2.0 liter in the lighter 3 may outperform the Malibu much less the 2.3 liter in the sport and touring models. The mazda3 will turn in a 34' circle, being the same width as the malibu, while the chev will take 40' (the cumbersome old Ford C Victoria police car is 42') Also the electric steering in the base malibu is problematic for some. Definitely test drive both.

A similarly equipped 3 will cost you about $16xxx-. With some true deals $15000 and below for the i series. The 3 s sport hatch 5 door fully optioned msrp 19500 sells for 17200 and below all the time.

The mazda3 hatch or sedan is stunning on the road in Red, Blue, Gray especially at night, even after 4 years.

Read my previous post, and if the if you can't get a quote on the 20000 msrp Malibu LS in the high 16's yet I would move on. You may be able to get a well equipped 22000 msrp mazda6 sedan below 17000.

Of all things, even a 08 Hyundai Elantra gls auto (msrp 17000) may be comparable enough for many purposes, Has an unusual hi edmunds editor review rating of 8.3, rates highly with the Civic and 3, is fully equipped, 60/100k mi warranty and seems to sell for under $14000 all day long.

Good luck
    --jjf

#

I am thinking about buying a new 2008 Chevy Malibu 4 cylinder LT1. What do you all think is a good price including TTL? Feedback would be appreciated.
    Thanks for the feedback. Got points and information. So far the lowest quote I have got for a 2008 Chevy Malibu LT1 has been $18840 including destination and TTL. It sounded like a good price. I will go test drive it this weekend and see if I like it. I really like the styling interior and exterior. Lets see how it drives.
    That sounds like a very good price for a typical 1LT. It all just depends on what the relation is to the invoice of any specific car with whatever options it has, then go from there.

Take a drive and see what you think. We love ours, and you should be impressed as most are...at least those who don't stick to talking about compact Mazda's or other imports as completely above and beyond such a supposedly lowly Chevy ;) For what it's worth, this is the first car (and we've had many) that got a steady stream of comments and questions about it everyday for the first couple of months, has led people who saw it to buy one themselves, etc.

The Malibu 1LT is the most popular package, and the most common, as dealers will tell you--the cloth seated 4-cyl combo being a biggie in mid-size sedans.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Westerville, OhioPosts: 382
    still have to drive the Hyundai Sonata Ltd and that will end my test drives of the sedan vehicles.

You should definitely consider the Sonata. The thing is the Sonata won't have the handling and ride of the Malibu LTZ. It will probably have the feel of a luxury car not the sportier feel of the LTZ. I've been considering a Sonata, Malibu 2LT, & Fusion SEL as a possible replacement of my 2003 Sonata Lx in the next year. Very tough decision as I think all three are great. I just saw the 09 Sonata Limited a couple of weeks ago on the Dealer Lot. Fantastic looking both outside and inside. I haven't driven it yet but I might. Dealer's Internet Sales Guy quoted me the following: Limited V6 w/o Nav Msrp $26,400, would sell it for 24,303 (Total Invoice including destination $24,670) and with the $2000 total Rebates which include current owners the bottom line would be 22,303 plus Tax & Title. I have discounts on any Ford or GM product through my company as well, which makes the decision more difficult. I could get a loaded Fusion about $1000 lower than the Sonata with my X-Plan and the $2500 rebates that I qualify for in my local Market.
  • jimi4jimi4 Posts: 1
    While I agree with your post I find the Malibu gauges are a lot more pleasant to look at especially comparing to the G6 which has Pontiac orange as a theme.
    The Impala is a better deal for the money but once again the gauges look like GM has not learned their lesson and reused the same garbage they have been using since the 80's.

While I find the interior of Malibu the best of the bunch I feel that the Honda Accord EX appears to have the Malibu beat in the seamless engine/transmission interaction. GM should have priced the Malibu lower than they did too, in my opinion, because if I am going to be spending close to $30k I seriously need to know that the car is going to last. I know this to be the case with Honda but only hope this to be the case with Chevy.

The Sonata is a smart buy which appears to have been priced by a smart execs at Hyundai!
    OK I can get a 6 cylinder Sonata for how much?
    I have heard good things about these cars, the price is quite a few thousand less than the Malibu or Accord so maybe I would take a chance and buy one.
    The pricing shows some intellect on top of Hyundai which is in start contrast to so other car companies.
    It could be my imagination but I would almost swear that the execs at Hyundai dissected an Accord while designing the Sonata.
    the only problem I have with Hyundai and their other brand KIA, is there frequent scheduled and costly maintenance to maintain that wonderful 5-100k warranty....depending on the vehicle, and your dealership.....oil changes with the dealership, tune at 60K, timing belt 40-60K, differential and transmission flush every 30K......I havent checked into the Sonata recently....but you might want to check on the cost of scheduled and required maintanence as well....
    I think that was made up. I never heard of timing belts changes being required every 40K miles or being required to have oil changed only at the dealership to maintain a factory warranty.
    better read the recommended scheduled maintenace....I had a KIA that had a 60K interval for the timing belt replacement..... Hyundai may be different......the dealership specifically told me that if the scheduled maintenance was not done or properly documented...meaning I didnt have all receipts for materials and labor...that warranty work could be denied.....

just a small piece of advice...check the owners manual for maintenance intervals, and ask the service department........if you are looking at a Hyundai......
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Westerville, OhioPosts: 382
    Not to keep this thread off topic (Malibu), but take a look at the ratings for reliability by Consumer Reports for a 2003 Sonata. For a 5 year old Vehicle 5 of 8 areas are excellent and the other 3 are Very Good the second best rating. One thing you are getting with the Sonata now is it's great reliability.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,851
    A reporter is hoping to talk with consumers who had considered purchasing a Hyundai Sonata and ended up purchasing another vehicle. Please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com before Friday, May 16, 2008 with your daytime contact information and what you ended up purchasing.
    Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• tsgraysontsgrayson Posts: 9
    Black Granite Metallic LTZ
    4 cyl with 6 speed auto
    Rear Power
    Sun Roof
    MSRP 28,100
    Supplier 26,600
    -1000 Conquest
    $25,600