Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Malibu Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• The 2006 Malibu LS is now the BASE model, so you can't compare the price of a 2005 and 2006 LS. The 2005 LS is a 2006 LT, the 2005 LT is now the 2006 LTZ.

I'd apologize for calling the previous poster a liar!
  • Ten days ago, I bought one of these with package 1SB for $19,400 including tax, title, and fees. I got the GM employee discount price plus a $2000 rebate and, at this price, this car is a fantastic bargain.

When I took it out for a test drive, my first impression was that it had a great balance between ride comfort and handling agility---easily the best of any vehicle I've ever driven. GM has come a long way in its chassis engineering during the last eight years (my Dad used to own a '98 Malibu). They've also done a great job improving the fit, finish, and materials quality of their interiors, as this car's interior is just as nice and as well put together as the interior of my Dad's '03 Toyota Camry. Ditto the fit and finish of the exterior body panels---the tolerances are as tight as the Toyota's.

If this Malibu proves as reliable after almost three years as my Dad's Camry has so far, then GM is definitely back in the big leagues.
  • jjpnycjjpnyc Posts: 2
    Hi Clarence-
    In response to your claim that I'm lying, I beg to differ. Here's how the deal broke down:

MSRP: $24,180 (base price of $21,265, $2,290 in options, & $625 destination charge)
    Negotiatied price: $20,249
    GM Cash Back: $3,250 (check the recent 2005 northeast incentives on GMBuypower.com)
    Price before GM Card points: $16,999
    GM Card Point: $1,831 (I have the "old" card that doesn't limit how much you can use)
    Final price: $15,168

Of course I'm not including tax & title as that varies by state so it's not fair to include it hear as it'll vary from place to place & out of our control. But everything else above was available through either incentives, GM Card point, or good old negotiation. What can I say, I'm a good negotiator. The dealer was eager to move the car off of his lot and was willing to do it at an attractive price to get it out of the way. So that is how I got my 2005 Malibu LS for just a shade above $15K. I'll take your apology when you are ready.
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    Other than the GM card (which I didn't have), this is in line with what I pad last winter for my LS Maxx. Don't see how that guy can accuse you of lying. :mad:
  • I purchased a used 2005 Chevy Malibu Classic for just under $9,000 (pre TT&L) today. It was previously a rental car and it has just over 12K miles on it.

It's getting cleaned tonight and I can't wait to pick it up! :)
  • mickymicky Posts: 2
    Just tried a V6 Malibu 2005 model and like it. Now I want to buy a new 2006 model. The MSRP is 17990. How much I can negotiate with dealer. Do you know how much discount is GMS and GM employee discount? The dealer gave me -500 for Malibu 1LS. I wonder this discount is too little.

Thanks a lot.
  • 05 LS with 15,000 miles, standard equip for the model with spoiler.

Or 05 STD with 12,000 miles same equip as above but with 4 cyl engine.

Thanks in advance
  • Don't know if this will help, but here is my experience:

I bought a used '05 LS with 11,000 miles (as you describe minus the spoiler) for $14K before tax, title, and extended warranty. I was able to haggle with the dealer and he came down $1000 on the price. Edmund's appraised the TMV (True Market Value) of this used car at $16,500 dealer retail. I think I got a great deal in part because I purchased on Dec. 29 (end of month/year). Try using Edmund's website to get the TMV for the used car you're looking at.
    Good luck.
  • I just realized that I didn't read your post closely enough. The car I purchased is a Maxx LS, not the sedan. Pricing would be different, I think.
  • :) Hi everyone....Michigan newbee here. On 1/31/06 I leased a 2006 LS sedan with the ABS/Traction control option. MSRP was $17,455.00. I received a $500.00 rebate plus an additional $500.00 rebate related to the Detroit Auto Show. GM had boosted my GM card dollars from the $525.00 I had on the card to $2,000.00...good until the end of January. I was not eligible for any supplier or employee discount. I used only the dollars from my card - no out of pocket money and leased the car for 39 months, 12,000 miles per year, for $192.00 per month. Dealer even delivered the car 70 miles to my home today! Very happy with the deal and the car so far!
  • Sounds like a fantastic deal. What state did you purchase it in? How do you like this car? I'm considering purchasing one myself. Thanks!
  • Hi, I'm from central lower Michigan just outside of Lansing and got the car from a dealer near Grand Rapids. So far the car has been great but I've only put a couple of hundred miles on it. Planning a trip to Chicago this weekend so we'll see how that goes. The fuel mileage has been very good too. The computer is telling me I'm getting 34 + mpg on the highway and no less than 28 average. I think the car represents a very good value for the price, especially when you consider everything that is included in the base LS.
  • I'm thinking of purchasing a new left over 05 malibu LS with option package 1sb. The dealer currently has $4,500 off marked on the window.. Sticker price is $23,360. Can someone give me some realistic numbers.. I'm also eligible for the GMS supplier discount..

Thanks
  • bobyera1bobyera1 Posts: 2
    I just bought a new 2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT with anti-lock brakes and remote vehicle start in Massachusetts for 17,800
  • Thank you for your response.. was this your price before tax? dealer i visited yesterday was very rude.. They wanted to allow me $4400 which has a NADA trade value of $7200. I think they quoted me 18,400 for their mailibu which supposedly included my GMS discount. WHen i told them what i needed for my car, they were totally done with me.. and i might add, not once did they invite me inside the store to sit down and try to come up with a figure. i actually drove an 06 accord se last night and the dealer was lower on price than the 05 malibu..
  • bobyera1bobyera1 Posts: 2
    My price was before tax. Your best bet is to keep negotiations separate. Don't even let them know you are considering trading in your current car before you negotiate a price on a new car. Once you agree on a price, then you can bring up the subject of a trade in. Find another dealer though you will usually have more leverage buying at the end of the month.
  • jes1955jes1955 Posts: 8
    A dealer in my area is offering this identical vehical for $17,480. I think you could bring them down more.
    A year ago I bought an '05 LS Maxx for $16,000. That seems to be an extremely high price for a leftover sedan. I'd figure low fifteens at most.
  • Thanks to all for your replies.. the info was really helpful. I was surprised that the dealer wouldn't be a lil more anxious about moving a car that was a year old as I didn't see anyone in line trying to buy it. I am considering a different make/model..
    It's an extremely enjoyable car-- at least the Maxx-- I think there's better sedan buys elsewhere. (wish there was ten different mid-sized hatches out there) Did you attempt to go directly to the Internet sales coordinators through Edmunds? My two closest dealers quoted exactly the same price.