Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Malibu Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• paopao Posts: 1,867
    lexus and BMW even at entry level are a good comparison to the Malibu...its made to compete with the Accord.Camry crowd....if you are looking at the entry ..level autos check out the Cadillac CTS......just bought a 09 fully loaded..and love it.....my first entry into the luxury level auto.....
  • What sort of deals can you get on a CTS now. ?
  • I keep second guessing myself. The dealer is looking for the right Malibu for me right now. I still keep thinking,,, Maxima, CTS, G-35 or Lexus Is250? I feel the Malibu is the best bang but, not at the same level as the others. But is it? CONFUSED.......
  • jfritschjfritsch Posts: 958
    If you are in one of the areas (NJ, NY and possibly Texas and some others) where you can get the Hyundai Sonata gls (20200 msrp) for around 15500 or so go for that, well before the Malibu. Edmunds has the Sonata competitive with the Accord

Doesn't mean anything, GM,Ford was just getting it together... they've been falling apart for decades. The transplants are building new factories in the US while the "Domestic" nameplates are hopeless. Many wonder how they survived this long. Management made it work with higher markup Suv's and trucks but thats it.

Anything involving the UAW for consumer autos (not heavy equipment) is dead. With the proponderance of autos and styles it is almost a commodity business. There is no business model with the company paying overweight morons in a blue shirt and a golfcart (union stewards) shutting down the production line in numerous pissing contests with management that can survive.

By the time productivity is factored in the Domestics pay well over 2x for labor, with the pension problems added in.

Gov't support would be permanent. A wealth transfer from the avg worker(s) to the "rich" workers.

With tons of cars being made in the US and similar suppliers I don't even know what a "Domestic" car is anymore. (the plastic emblem on the front grille?)

Good luck
    --jjf
    again...the cars you name in my mind arent in the same category as the Malibu..apples to oranges in comparison....with the CTs and the G35, you are looking at initial entry level sport luxury cars.....I looked at the malibu...have an 04 malibu maxx lt that I was completely happy with...135k and still going.....looked at the G35, the Maxima, didnt consider lexus due to a coworkers bad experience with his...and the local dealership......I went with the CTS...loved the lines.....and the ride and feel is nothing like the new malibu......as well as features...but again....the CTS was 20K more than the Malibu LTZ fully loaded.....I wouldnt compare the Malibu to any of the other cars...different category and price ranges...

again you say the best bang ....but what are you looking for...transportation, luxury sedan, family car....good on MPG...etc.....I went for the CTS because I was in a position to move up to a luxury level.....GM had employee pricing at the time....which compare to the redtag sale ongoing..saved me an addition 7K....price difference on the CTS.....my MPG is around 24-25 on average....as much as 30 MPG on the highway and the features are well beyond the malibu....G35 was the same price range...was smaller and go less gas mileage and different offer the same features.....maxima slightly less..but still pushing high 30sk for price....plus the maxima lines didnt appeal to me....

would I have been happy with the new malibu...probably......but I wanted to step up in comfort, features and looks,,and simply because I was now in a position in life to afford the CTS ........again..personal choice
  • Hi, I'm new here. Great site!! I am looking at a 2009 Malibu LTZ, black metallic, 4cyl, 6 speed, ebony/brick int, sunroof, etc (fully loaded) After some rebates and GM employee pricing they offered $22,524 (not including tax).

What do you think? Sound good or not? Just thought I would ask the experts.
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    I have almost no brand loyalty, especially for American cars. I get what's best for me.

I owned a Hyundai Elantra from 2001-05, now own a Kia Optima. Neither gave me a bit of trouble. However the Malibu Maxx I own has also been nearly flawless. Although the Maxx is out of warranty, its maintenance is FAR less than the Hyun/Kias. The GM oil life monitor is very conservative, set to dino oil and shows changes at about 7,000 miles. To keep the Kia in warranty I have to follow a 3000 oil change schedule, stretched a bit with highway mileage. Most of the other fluids go about 300% greater than the Korean cars. That's how they pay for that long warranty--keep you coming back for service. The GM ohv 3.0 liter engine (sorry it's going away, it was a workhorse) gets better mpg-- especially around town-- than the Kia four.

I like both cars but my Maxx is the best car I've ever owned. So sorry GM was so narrow minded that they never marketed it. Would have loved to see it carried forward to the next generation.
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,267
    I am looking at a 2009 Malibu LTZ, black metallic, 4cyl, 6 speed, ebony/brick int, sunroof, etc (fully loaded) After some rebates and GM employee pricing they offered $22,524 (not including tax).

What do you think?

That is a phenomenal deal. I would consider it a steal--so grab it while the offer is still on the table. What is the MRSP as optioned and which dealership is offering this deal as I am in the market for an LTZ also. Somehow, they have to make up the loss so perhaps they low-balled you on your trade if you had one.
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    Meant 3.5 liter. Sorry for the missing 500 cc's.
  • I just received a quote on a 2009 1LT with the 6-speed auto as the only option. Quoted price is $20,107 + TTL. Good or not good enough?
  • yashyash Posts: 10
    How does 21k + TTL for Chevy Malibu 2LT sound in the bay area? please let me know your thoughts on this deal.
  • beach15beach15 Posts: 1,305
    Options? MSRP? Etc? With the V6, it should be $27k'ish, a little higher or lower, so already does sound like a good deal, yes. Just more specifics would help.

At this point, it would be hard pressed to run into any car deal that wasn't "good". Given the Red Tag supplier price minus all the rebates & cash possible, you're good to go.
    Hey thanks for the reply, this chevy malibu 09 msrp was 25+k. we liked the color and the two tone leather trim better than camry and i think 21k was a good deal for it. no extra options at this point.

i hope there isnt a catch here thats why i wanted to ping the community to see if anyone else also got similar deals.
    So lets all hope that GM never goes down and American automakers get another life as they emerge out of this economy...

but what if...GM and Chevy disappear off the map? Wouldnt that make cars like Malibu (and a host of other American cars for that matter) a dangerous proposition? We wouldnt know how/where to get it serviced, spare parts etc. might be a challenge.

I need to hear from the community on what are their thoughts and basically instill some courage in me so i can pull the trigger on the malibu :) iam especially concerned about the re-sale value depreciation and servicing challenges if GM closes shop forever.
    I dont forsee GM vanishiing completely.....most dealerships are independent franchises...so they will still be around to service cars....the small ones will close, the larger urban ones will survive....this issue is warranty work since that is paid back to the dealership by GM....I suspect the TARP money if approved will come with many of the same restrictions which were placed on the first loan $$.....

the union has a choice here....take the concessions and not wait until 2010 when they kick in anyway.....I believe it will all be tied to the TARP $$ regardless if the industry is to get the $$
  • rik4rik4 Posts: 90
    gm has raised the prices on the malibu now. does not make much sense when cars are selling so poorly and the economy is not good. but then wagner knows it all.
  • malexbumalexbu Posts: 169
    most dealerships are independent franchises...so they will still
    be around to service cars...

For how long?

Some five years ago, there were three GMC/Pontiac/Buick dealerships in
    the ten-miles' zone around where I live. Now? Zero.

Five years ago, I owned and valued a Pontiac Bonneville -- but I would
    not buy a Pontiac or Buick at any discount these days. The issue is
    not so much a quality -- but where would I service it?

the small ones will close, the larger urban ones will
    survive....

Doesn't look like it's the case with Pontiac/Buicks, does it? All
    other things equal, the lower a make's dealers density, the lower the
    brand's attraction. And things are by far not equal, not to GM's
    advantage. When did you last see a person dreaming of purchasing a
    Buick?

Chevy seems to be the only GM's brand with a meaningful chance of
    survival -- but I am not quite sure it will, either. No matter how
    much I love my current two Bu's, had I had to buy another car now, I
    doubt it would be anything American. To hell with my GM Card points,
    to hell with the discounts -- I have zero confidence that potential
    problems would be resolved in acceptable time and in a reasonable
    distance from home. (I am saying this as a delighted customer of
    three Chevy dealerships around now -- but one of these dealerships
    also bought a GMC/Pontiac/Buick business just three years ago... Took
    them about a year to shut it down -- no demand.)

the union has a choice here....take the concessions and not wait until
    2010 when they kick in anyway.....

Oh, no, they don't. Not anymore. GM cars have to be given out for
    next to nothing in order to be taken en masse. This is not going to
    happen for various reasons, so the union will have to find another
    place to make their choices at. Ah, if only they fought for quality
    when it mattered, how much happier we all would be these days...

(Here is some fresh enlightening reading on the subject:

http://www.usnews.com/blogs/barone/2008/12/15/who-is-at-fault-for-the-decline-of- -the-big-three.html)
  • TomNYTomNY Posts: 8
    I'm in upstate NY and have been shopping for a car for a month. I have it narrowed down to a Sonata and a Malibu, but honestly was leaning to the Sonata, because I could buy the top of the line Sonata Limited for many thousand less than the Malibu LTZ. After speaking with a colleague, he recommended a dealer 1.5 hours away that had a listed a LTZ, 6 cylinder with moonroof for $22,500. After a phone conversation he said that they were going to sell the remaining three for $21,999.

I had to drive out in that direction, so met with the salesperson and drove the car and really liked it, even better than the Sonata....$2000 dollars better, I'm not sure. I had been planning on a 4 cylinder, but the remaining three were 6s. I emailed him last night and offered him $21,500 , with 8% taxes plus fees $23500 OTD, I'm still waiting to hear.

A couple of questions:
    - Is that a reasonable price? seems to me it is.
    - Is the jump to the Malibu from the Sonata worth the $1500 difference in price?
    - Although I like the drive of the six cylinder better than the four is the millage going to be a lot worse?
  • jfritschjfritsch Posts: 958
    Many papers in the Southern Ohio area have the Base 22000 malibu advertised for 16000. Search NY or new york on the Sonata forum and there are several dealers there selling the base Gls 4cyl auto (20500msrp) for the 15000's.(a used 07 has a trade in value of about 10000 so the 15k's is about where you want a new one). Don't worry about the mileage.

You want 7k+ off a malibu, more for the higher models if at all.

The Titanic's keel is out of the water, the props spinning , and the UAW wants to wait to "2010" to man the pumps. (with their ever present "stewards" in blue shirts and golf carts (paid for by the company of course) to slow the work down so as not to "overtax" the worker.)

Democrats will feed the UAW your tax money for a year or so, along with their pension fund. (with the union dues going partly to the democratic party) and the vessel will hit bottom (no business model for consumer autos involving the UAW in any way can stand up straight) Unlike the banks who can repay their loans from the FED, the auto money will be a gift.

Ah blue state politics.

Good luck
    --jjf
    most dealerships are independent franchises...so they will still
    be around to service cars...

For how long?

Some five years ago, there were three GMC/Pontiac/Buick dealerships in
    the ten-miles' zone around where I live. Now? Zero.

this my exact point of what is the problem...why does there need to be 3 of the same dealerships within 10 miles of one another....GM has over 7K dealerships, Toyota less than 2k if Im not mistaken....perhaps less.....

Five years ago, I owned and valued a Pontiac Bonneville -- but I would
    not buy a Pontiac or Buick at any discount these days. The issue is
    not so much a quality -- but where would I service it?

Again....too many models, too many frames that arent making $$ or are duplicates of others...GMC is Chevy rebadged....Buick....sells well overseas but not here, stay wtih the Cadillac line...Pontiac...make it the rear wheel drive niche muscle division

the small ones will close, the larger urban ones will
    survive....

Doesn't look like it's the case with Pontiac/Buicks, does it? All
    other things equal, the lower a make's dealers density, the lower the
    brand's attraction. And things are by far not equal, not to GM's
    advantage. When did you last see a person dreaming of purchasing a
    Buick?

Agree,,,get rid of the Buick in the US...keep it an overseas model

Chevy seems to be the only GM's brand with a meaningful chance of
    survival -- but I am not quite sure it will, either. No matter how
    much I love my current two Bu's, had I had to buy another car now, I
    doubt it would be anything American. To hell with my GM Card points,
    to hell with the discounts -- I have zero confidence that potential
    problems would be resolved in acceptable time and in a reasonable
    distance from home. (I am saying this as a delighted customer of
    three Chevy dealerships around now -- but one of these dealerships
    also bought a GMC/Pontiac/Buick business just three years ago... Took
    them about a year to shut it down -- no demand.)

I beleive GM will survive in some form....I just bought an 09 Cadillac CTS in Sept, but will have to slim down....Cadillac, Chevy, Pontiac and Saturn maybe?

the union has a choice here....take the concessions and not wait until
    2010 when they kick in anyway.....

Oh, no, they don't. Not anymore. GM cars have to be given out for
    next to nothing in order to be taken en masse. This is not going to
    happen for various reasons, so the union will have to find another
    place to make their choices at. Ah, if only they fought for quality
    when it mattered, how much happier we all would be these days...

wil be interesting to see what the UAW does under restructing of the auto companies if it occurs..
  • gussguss Posts: 1,181
    Chevy, Cadillac, GMC and Buick will survive. Good-bye Saturn, Pontiac and Saab.

I am sure if you buy any GM car and GM survives , you will be able to get service at any GM dealership. I could take my Olds Aurora to any Chevrolet dealer and get it services after Olds closed. It was actually kind of nice because the nearest Olds dealer was another 5 miles away.
  • malexbumalexbu Posts: 169
    Chevy, Cadillac, GMC and Buick will survive.

That seems to be the most widespread opinion these days, and I can see
    a model or two in almost each one of the brands above -- a model that
    can give the brand at least a small chance of survival, e.g. Malibu
    and Silverado for Chevy. But Buick? Which Buick model makes that
    make a candidate for survival? Or you think it can be a winner in,
    say, China, without a single model being at least slightly ahead of
    the competition?

Good-bye Saturn, Pontiac and Saab.

Pontiac, on the other hand, has Vibe, G6, G8 and Solstice, which are,
    at least, interesting.
  • gussguss Posts: 1,181
    I would love to see Pontiac make it here over Buick. But, as you said , Buick is big in China. I don't think any of the Chinese model are sold here, so why can't GM just do what Datsun\Nissan do and just change Buicks name to Pontiac in China.

I think even if Pontiac goes away the G8 and Solstice will be transferred over to Chevy. I heard GM was selling it's stake in the joint venture with Toyota. So the Vibe will be discontinued.
  • famusfamus Posts: 9
    Hi,
    Is $18500 OTD a good price for a new 09 Malibu LS base + side moldings + mats? MSRP is $21650. It's in California with 7.75% sales tax. Thanks a lot!
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,267
    No! Anything beyond $17,250 OTD is too much. By the way, a good way to upgrade is to buy the base LS and install after market (Katzkin) leather. That's what we did and we are extremely satisfied with the result. It only cost $1,300 more for the two-tone cocoa/cashmere combo.
    Thanks. But the three dealers I went to would not lower even to $18300 OTD. Some insisted on selling at over $19000 OTD. And that's the low LS model. How can I make a good deal? Now it will very near the end of the year, will I get a better price? Thanks.
  • Just some food for thought. $18.5K OTD for a 2009 Base LS Malibu is pretty good. Comparing it to other base midsize sedans, that is a really good price. I bought a Accord LX automatc (base) for $20K OTD less then a year ago. Resale value is another factor to consider. How long will you keep the car?

The new Malibu has held its value better then previous Malibu's, if you check on kbb. On the other hand, I have seen used 2008 Malibu LT1 and LT2 going for $18.5K OTD with about 10-15K miles on them. Something to consider. If you plan on keeping the car for a long time (over 5 years), I say go for the deal.

Regardless, the Malibu is a very nice car.
  • Looking at an LT2, 6 cyl, sunroof for 22,400+TTL. What do you think?
  • I just purchased a black 2009 LTZ 6 cyl with sunroof for 22,600+TTL. Additionally I was able to use 3,117. of GM credit card $ and a 6,000 trade for a net cash cost of 13,483 + sales tax of 1,776.75. Very professional people at Conte in Freeport LI
    $18.5K is the best I am getting. I am heading out now to buy it.