Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Malibu Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,014
    A reporter from a finance magazine is looking to speak to consumers who purchased a vehicle and ended up with some options by the dealer at little or no extra cost. Please send your daytime phone number and the vehicle you own to ctalati@edmunds.com by Tuesday, June 16, 2009.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• anon3anon3 Posts: 147
    "I would NOT buy a Malibu now if at all possible to avoid it."

Really? GM has filed for bankruptcy re-organization and the world hasn't come to an end. What has ended are some of the incentives, according to my dealer. June incentives are not quite as good as in May because sales of the Malibu were strong in May.

So if I had followed your advice, which was based on nothing but speculation, I would have paid $1,500 more for a Malibu on June 1st than I did on May 31st.

I qualified for FOUR incentives in May: 1) Credit Union/Buying Service price, 2) $1,000 conquest price (switching from another manufacturer), 3) $2,500 standard cash back, and 3) $1,000 lease incentive because I will be ending a lease on another vehicle in 3 months.

So I basically paid $4,500 below the vehicle Program Price, which is a couple hundred below the Dealer Invoice cost (not MSRP).

I'm not sure if this has been discussed here, but if you belong to a credit union or to Costco that has a car buying service, dealers will give you that price without using the service.

I bought this car for my niece as a graduation gift, but I'm driving it for a few weeks. I'm very impressed with this car for the price. And that's saying something because I'm a long time BMW driver.
  • I got a price of $ 500 below invoice on loaded ltz malibu
    with upromise web site. This is in florida do you guy think
    there are better deal out there or is the best i can do.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Posts: 1,721
    An '06 driftwood Malibu Maxx LS (I think - had cloth seats) with a 1 year dealer warranty (Carr Chevrolet) was going for around $7500. The dealer is in Beaverton, OR (the sale is in the Beaverton Kmart lot).

Ironically, what they were asking was the same I got in trade for my '04 Maxx LS about a year or so ago.
  • Just paid 22886 minus 2000 in rebates. Rear power was the only addition.

So 20,886 then minus C.A.R.S. (4500)
  • ral2167ral2167 Posts: 642
    What was msrp of car? I assume no trade in allowance since you got the clunker deal, yes?
  • sean74sean74 Posts: 18
    I have a 2005 Malibu about 48k miles. Chevy dealer told me that I need transmission flush, induction service, and mass air flow cleaning. Here is the price list,

Transmission flush: $206
    Induction service: $154
    MAFC:$88.

Are those service necessary, are those prices reasonable???
    Thank you very much for your advice.
  • sean74sean74 Posts: 18
    Thanks kyfdx. Have a good weekend.
    Sean
  • I wanted to get feedback/opinions on what you all think would be a good OTD price for a new 2009 Malibu LT1 with the 6 speed automatic engine? Thanks.
  • Wife has gotten prices in on Malibu LTZ w/ V6, rear power pack, moonroof. Color is White Diamond. She also likes the Red Jewel so the added color cost is in the price.

Price quoted was $26,115 after rebate and dealer discount.

Is this a good price or should I be looking at something else. We're in Cinti. Also, she may be interested in leasing for 36 mos, 12k/yr with $0 down.

Thoughts?
  • steven39steven39 Posts: 636
    just recieved a price quote from a local chevy dealer for a 2010 malibu LS sedan.
    msrp is $22,845.00 and final quote from dealer is $19,730.00...don't know if this is including all the rebates that are available now for the malibu.if it is i think i can probably do better elsewhere.
  • ekinekin Posts: 2
    Just bought a 2010 Malibu LTZ with V6, Sunroof and Compact Spare Tire and White Diamond paint. MRSP was $30,365. Paid $24,694 including $3,000 in rebates (2,000 manufacturer and 1,000 loyalty).

Purchased in Western Suburbs, IL
  • Was 24K OTD, including taxes,TTL and all that Jazz?
  • ekinekin Posts: 2
    No, 24694 was before TTL, which came out to a littel over 2K additional. I also didn't include the 3,000 in gm card earnings that I used on the deal.

Total OTD for me, after all rebates, gm card earnings and including ttl was 24,100
  • I just purchased a new (40 miles on odometer) 2010 Malibu LS - Stickered at $22.7 - only option was the spare tire,

Paid $14,699. Including TTL and $65 "Doc Fee", out the door for $16,079. Price includes all rebates including the GM card "Top-Off" up to $2,000. I see the same add in paper quite frequently.

Picked it up last Friday 2/5/2010.
  • I have GM rebates also -- what is a "Top Off?"
  • Every now and then (perhaps 2 or 3 times a year), notices are sent out to holders of GM Cards (credit card accounts) that bump up there "earnings" to a higher level.

The most recent one was good for a month or two, an just expired.

Regardless of what your actual earnings were, GM increased the earnings rebate (the "Top Off") up to either $2,000 or $3,000. I have no idea why some cardholders got 2,000 and others 3,000. These were good toward any new GM car, and on top of all other discounts and rebates.

Hope that helps.
  • Thank you -- I must have missed it. Your price is excellent, however.
  • I was on Chevy's website few months ago and GM was offering 2K off the MSRP right on the website, few weeks later they bumped it up to 2.5K, right now it is 3K.

I am wondering why are they offering these huge discounts, last time i checked on Autonews GM had 120+ days of inventory. Could it be that Malibu is not selling well?
  • kingrkingr Posts: 60
    Any ideas on how much under invoice I should be able to get on a 2010 LTZ V6 before any rebates are added, I can get $5,000 in rebates but wanted to get as much below invoice as possible first.
    I am in upstate NY.

Thanks
  • dave8697dave8697 Posts: 1,498
    edited March 2010
    I saw them (2010 Malibus) advertised by local dealer for lease for $199 a month so I checked to see what rebates were. I saw they were $3500. I went to the dealer and they said rebates were $3000 on the Malibu. Then they added that there was another $1000 rebate for high time on lot cars, which meant the oldest 20% of current stock. I went back 1 week later and the car I had in mind was gone. They added a Black granite metallic one (mrsp $24440) to the oldest 20% while I was trying to find one that wasn't white or goldmist.
    Armed with my edmunds rebate printout I asked what they could do on the granite LT against invoice. They came back with $1000 off sticker in lieu of the $500 rebate they had no info on and my request for how close to invoice they could come. The total was $5000 off msrp. I accepted and then put my $3455 GM card earnings against their $19440 offer. They hit me with a $199 doc fee. I also have $831 from my Citi driver's edge cc that brings the total before tax and doc fee into the very low $15's. It is my first new vehicle since my '01 Silverado, which still only has 27k miles on it. They had a used '09 LS in the showroom for $18,999, so I am pretty happy getting new instead. Full warranty, etc.
    It has the bluetooth sync, power seat, remote start, custom mats, and full size spare and the custom metallic paint. The 6 speed tranny was the upgrade I was willing to go for after I found out about the added $1000 rebate. It adds 3 mpg hwy for a rating of 33.
    just recieved a quote for a 2010 malibu ls sedan.msrp is $22,800.00 and dealer quote is including the $3000.00 rebate in effect is $18,100.00 plus TTT...is this a good price??
  • bc60bc60 Posts: 17
    Recently purchased a new 2010 Malibu LTZ. Options included, sunroof, rear power package, red jewel tintcoat paint, and compact spare tire. Sticker price was $28950. I traded in a 2001 Malibu with 113,000 miles. Used the $3000 GM rebate, $500 car show rebate, $1000 GM private offer rebate, had $3274 earning on my GM Mastercard I used and got $1700 trade-in on the 2001 Malibu. Took the price down to just over $18,000 before I put the first cent down!
  • czcon1czcon1 Posts: 22
    Is the $3000 rebate good for leases too?
  • bc60bc60 Posts: 17
    When I bought my Malibu, it was only good on purchases. I believe the $3k rebate has ended now anyway.
  • ral2167ral2167 Posts: 642
    no posts since may? aren't these cars selling??
    welcome to the economy......
  • bradsaudibradsaudi Posts: 3
    Just purchased this week for $15896 + Tax + Title + Doc. $5,000 in rebates, $1,000 Pontiac Owner, $1,000 GM Card, $3,000 Manufacture's Rebate.

Taupe Grey in color (new color). Bluetooth, Body Side Moldings, Compact Spare Tire, Floor Mats.

We're really enjoying the car. We might have been able to get a gold mist for less ($500-$1000), but for that kind of money we wanted to get what we wanted.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,014
    A reporter is looking to speak to consumers who were looking at mid-size vehicles and were choosing between a four and six cylinder engine but chose the four cylinder because of fuel prices or to save money. Please send your daytime phone number and the car you purchased to ctalati@edmunds.com by Monday, July 19, 2010.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.