Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Malibu Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• paopao Posts: 1,867
    I went in with my price I would pay....fully loaded less the engine block warmer....MSRP almost 28K, I drove off the lot tax title and tags included here in northern va for 24k even...then negotiated my trade in...a 99 Mustang GT 82k miles.....got 5.5k for it..which is what I expected and financed 18.5 wiht my own credit union. Also purchased a GM extended warranty from another GM dealer 6/100 for $1300 with a $100 deductible...all in all very happy with my buying experience..
  • jim_in_ohiojim_in_ohio Posts: 21
    After test driving both the LS and LT models at our local dealership (Jeff Wyler Chevrolet, Springfield, OH) my wife and I decided we wanted the leather seats. That meant an LT, but we didn’t want to pay extra for a fully loaded one. The salesman got busy and within two days had us an LT with the 1SB option package in our first choice color. A GM retiree friend gave us a “GM in the driveway” authorization number, so we bought at the supplier’s price of $23,943. We planned on taking advantage of the 0% GMAC financing, but the day we bought Chevy raised the cash rebate to $1500. With a 3.85% interest rate from a different finance company we ended up with a slightly lower payment for the same term (36 mo), meaning a smaller total paid AND giving us the option to save more money if we can pay ahead. The dealership researched this and presented the option without our asking; that’s service!
  • mazzmondmazzmond Posts: 2
    Well, just bought myself a Malibu Maxx LS on Thursday here in Michigan. Probably didn't get the best deal, but needed a car quickly. Got pretty much the most basic model with remote start as the only option (not even floor mats). The MSRP was 22375 and I was able to get it at 20775 (about $250 over invoice). There was a $1500 rebate on the car and I had $1000 on a GM card that I used bringing the total price down to 18,275 before tax, title, etc. Was around $19500 total after all that. Will have to buy some mats of course.

It's got about 20 miles on it so far and from my very brief experience, I like the car a lot. We'll see how it holds up in the long term.

The dealer there said the Maxx had some interest but the hot seller has been the Equinox. They said the average time on the lot for a new Equinox was about 3 days before it sold.
  • gms22gms22 Posts: 1
    I'm looking into buying a 2002 Malibu LS, with around 33K miles on it. I think the price is going to be between $8-9,000. Is this reasonable? Cheap? Too expensive? Help me please!
  • deminindeminin Posts: 214
    The local dealer in Central Missouri has an ad in todays paper that they are offering up to $5700 off on Malibu Maxx. Thats probably off sticker, but indicates that there may be some good buys out there on the Maxx.
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Posts: 489
    Hertz is selling '03 Malibu LS's for $9795 and I'm sure that you can find an '03 elsewhere for around 9k. It will be a year newer with most likely less than 30k mileage. If the '02 is a private owner's car and you know the owner and are sure that maintenance was done I'd consider it for less than 9k but 8-9k is no real bargain for a two year old Malibu.
  • FYI... We just purchased a 2004 Malibu Maxx LS on June 8, 04 with the 1SB Option package for $19,243 out the door at Penske Chevrolet in Indianapolis. Went through Cars.com for referal dealership based on zip code. No haggling, they simply gave me dealer invoice price (or Internet price they call it) plus a $4000 rebate. It turned out to be a better deal "off the street" than my GM SUPPLIER discount which included only a $3,500 rebate. It appears to me that GM is desperate to unload these 04 vehicles. Great value!

Our Figures:
    Invoice on Stock $21833.88
    IN Sales Tax 6% 1310.03
    Doc Fees 98.00
    Indiana Tire Tax 1.25
    Rebates <4000.00>

TOTAL VEHICLE PURCHASE PRICE $19243.16
  • maxx4memaxx4me Posts: 1,341
    congrats AZturbo. I'm guessing then, when we use the $4k check, that it cannot be combined with the $1,500 cash back that the general public is getting right now, correct?
  • map013map013 Posts: 3
    I picked up my Black Malibu Maxx LT with the all the options, including DVD, Onstar, XM radio, etc. MSRP was $27645. I am a gm supplier and qualified for pricing, but got a better deal going with invoice plus $4000 GM loyalty rebate along with my $1000 GM card points. Traded in a 95 Blazer at KBB trade-in of $4000 for a bottom line of $18000 O.T.D.. Financed through local credit union.
  • mtrushmtrush Posts: 9
    I got a quote on a Malibu thru gmbuypower.com and the price is $350 above the TMV. Are price quotes made thru gmbuypower firm or still negotiable ?

Thanks
  • Nothing is ever etched in stone. I got a GM buypower price and then presented the dealer with the online coupon from their website and saved another $300. Why not try getting buypower quotes from several area dealerships?
    The owner loyalty rebate on Malibu has apparently been raised to $4000 from $3000 last week. Based on past patterns, what is the likelihood it will be raised again ? Also, GM says the offer is good thru Aug 2. Could they still rescind the offer before then ?
    no. I just came from the dealer yesterday, who, thanks to my buying service, opens up all the books and lets me know what is what. He said that once GM raises the rebate, it won't go lower than that; instead, it may head even higher. My dealer is flooded with inventory since apparently, GM does not allow their dealers to control their own inventory. As a result, there are a lot of '04s out there that need to be moved before the '05s go into production. I may not wait any longer, but if you can, and don't mind a smaller pool of cars to choose from, I would bet the rebate goes one step higher.
    While looking thru car ads in the paper, I noticed almost all of them mention in the fine print that they charge a "dealer fee" of between $300 and $400. Is this legitimate ? If I plan on paying the TMV for a new car, should I subtract from it the amount of this "dealer fee" ?
    to me, dealer fee means paper processing and advertising. Some dealers are charging up to $299 in my area for paper processing alone. Remember: negotiate a price....a final price, and let them know it won't be higher once you enter the finance officer's woodshed.
  • mfletouvamfletouva Posts: 166
    I haven't actually bought a Maxx yet even though I'd like to because with my financial situation its a little dicey, but I did negotiate last week to find out exactly what I'd need to pay. I stopped negotiating at around $300 under invoice, + the $4k rebate and another $1k from a GM Card. The dealer I got the best price from had a $289 doc fee, I told them that it was excessive and that I'd only pay $99, and it was done. They changed their offer to $500 under invoice in order to reduce the doc fee. Don't be afraid to flat out refuse to pay it, above $70 or so its all padded profit and can be negotiated.

By the way, a few hours later another dealer called and when told of my current best offer expressed confidence they could beat it by at least a few hundred. Until I'm ready to actually do it, I'm not going to get into it with them but I think I can probably get as low as 700 or 800 under invoice.
    OK, here we go. Since I was not able to use the Supplier's Discount and combine it with the $4,500 cash back ($1k conquest rebate for owning a Mazda, $1k for owning a Vibe, and $2.5k consumer cash back) GM was offering me, I decided to use my buying service and use the $4k check GM sent me as a loyalty bonus:

Maxx LS with 1SB package and Sunroof:

$22,499 Buying Service Price
    + 674.97 State Tax
    + 45.00 Dealer's Business License Tax
    + 19.00 License Plate transfer fee
    =23,237.97
    - 4,000.00 Loyalty bonus from GM
    --------------------------------------------
    =19,237.97

I think this was an amazing price considering it is over $1k less than what I bought my Vibe for 2.5 years ago.
  • Glad you finally made the plunge and joined us. Hope you have miles and miles of smiles!
  • mfletouvamfletouva Posts: 166
    How do you like it so far? What color?

Looks like you paid $624 over invoice, for whatever that's worth.
    $624 over factory invoice?
    It is the Medium Grey Metallic, since:

1. I think GM missed the mark in styling this car to begin with, I went with what I think is the most luxurious of the colors (especially with the sparkles in the paint
    2. GM decided to put the black cladding on the bottom runners on the LS and not color code the mirrors. I think the medium grey looks nice with the black trim and the dark sunroof glass on top
    3. it cuts down on glare off the hood.

Until this thing breaks down, I will continue to contend that this car SCREAMS value. When I took it to my mechanic (a long time GM owner), he laughed at the price I paid, stating that it was awfully low for all the things that come on it.

Now, I just need to find a hungry finance manager who wants to sell me a GMPP at a much reduced rate from what they publish in their books. Anybody know one that wants to make me an offer???