Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Malibu Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• OK we bought the '04 Malibu Maxx yesterday. Boy was the dealership packed with everyone rushing to get in on the rebates before they expired!

We got the 2004 Galaxy Silver Maxx LS with:

Preferred equipment group 1SB
    Power Sunroof
    Onstar
    XM Satellite Radio
    6-Disc CD Changer

for $16,104 out the door (no sales tax in Oregon but inclusive of about $150 in title fee, plates and registration).

Got the $3,500 cash back, $1,500 GMAC financing rebate, $1000 GM relative bonus plus dealer holdback thrown in (about $750).

Actually would have preferred the base model without all the extras for about $2000 less but they didn't have any other LS's in stock. Didn't go for any of the extra garbage they try sell their such as paint protection, fabric protection, overpriced gap insurance (get it at one sixth the price through our regular insurance company) or an overpriced extended warranty we can get at half price directly from the source online.

Will be refinancing as soon as the paperwork arrives in the mail through our credit union at 4.59% for 84 months......yes seven years! Hopefully it gets done before Sept. 21 when Greenspan is set to hike rates another quater point!! Note well there is no pre-payment penalty or other penalty clause for refinancing at anytime as others have alluded to in prior posts.

Now its time to wait and see what new rebates they bring out on the '04s and kick myself if they are better!
  • Anyone know what the criteria is for the GM Employee/Relative rebate and can you still use the GM card discount?
  • I am getting different stories from different dealers as to what rebates are available.
    One said the conquest rebate was on through Sept 04. Another said there has been no conquest rebates since early summer. Edmunds indicated it ended Sept. 7. where can the consumer get accurate current information? GM buypower indicates only $4500(3500 + 1000 GMAC)is available on the Maxx. So how little can I finance through GMAC for the least time to qualify for the $1000? The incentives piqued my interest but the smoke and mirrors [non-permissible content removed] is turning me off to making any purchase.
  • you must finance at least 10k to get the GMAC bonus......

But have gotten about three different stories about how many payments you must make before you can prepay the loan.

1 month, 3 months, and 6 months

Remember though that even 6 months intrest on a simple interest loan of 10k is not much....
  • In fact, GMAC allows you to pay off the loan as soon as you wish. We purchased our Maxx August 10, and refinanced it September 3.

We would have refinanced the week of August 24, but we had an unexpected trip out of town that week.

Steven
  • MAXX LS w/1SB $23,150
    - $2,652 Dealer
    - $3,500 GM Rebate
    - $1,000 GM Instant Value
    - $1,500 GMAC
    - $1,526 GM Card
    - $ 827 Drivers Edge Rebate

= $12,145 TOTAL

Got the Light Driftwood, not my fist choice but for 12K who can complain. Built in Feb/04, would have liked a later date but some were Dec/03.
  • We picked up our new Maxx yesterday. It is a 2004 LS with NO OPTIONS. Not one. (Does that mean it's an LS1A?) MSRP $22,225 including shipping. They used to call a car like this a "stripper." You could hardly say that about the Maxx. It has more equipment--standard--than just about any car I've ever seen, regardless of price. This was just what we wanted--none of the options or packages included anything of interest to us. OK, floor mats would be nice, but I can buy those separately.

It is the light driftwood color, 5/04 build date. Seems to be absolutely flawless. It had 5 miles on it when we got it.

It was by far the most pleasant car buying experience we've ever had. I located the car on the GM website, at the dealer right here in town, Hanlee's Chevrolet. (Very few '04 LS left here in Northern California). I went in and asked to see it. It was still in the wrapper, on the storage lot, had never been driven. I showed them my trade, and in about 10 minutes they came back with a deal on the Maxx at $200 over invoice, and a trade in amount that was right about where I thought it should be. Not counting the trade, and with the $5000 rebate, the car cost $15913 plus tax and license. I didn't bother asking if they could go any lower. That's about what I paid for a new Pontiac 6000 20 years ago!

In order to get the $1500 GMAC bonus we took the GMAC financing at 6.99%. That's a bit high, but we'll refinance it soon, and plan to pay it off in a couple of years. Prepayment penalties are illegal in California.

It was very helpful to read all the posts here before buying. Also the GM website was terrific in terms of learning about the car and the options, and for locating the one I wanted.

It looks like folks on the right coast are getting bigger discounts (on the order of $2000 or more) than we left coasters. I think it has always been that way. Domestic cars are usually cheaper to buy in the East.

We're planning on getting 200K miles from this car. It certainly seems like it's engineered to provide that kind of service. Of course I will be meticulous about maintenance, and plan to change the oil every 5K (unless the oil life computer tells me to do it sooner--which I doubt since this is mostly freeway driving in moderate temperatures).

Thanks again for all your great posts.

DavisMaxx
  • Daugherty Chevrolet in Sacramento is advertising what looks like a terrific deal on one of the last 2004 Maxx in this region. It's Navy/neutral with 1SB, Onstar, XM and 6 disc CD, MSRP $24,970. They are offering a $2980 dealer discount, $1000 GM certificates, $3500 GM rebate, and $1500 if you finance through GMAC--$15,990 plus tax and license. Looks like one of the better deals I have seen.

DavisMaxx
  • lee_wlee_w Posts: 239
    Congrats on your purchase. Thanks for posting your experience!
  • If you have a different MSRP, chances are GMS price will be different - period. Don't forget, It's right on the invoice and GM modifies base prices maybe 4 times a year, so age of inventory can add to the reasons prices vary slightly. Also some regions have different advertising fees than others, it's on;y a slight difference, but that can effect the sticker prices you see. Delivery fee and Destination are different. Destination fee varys on vehicles, but everyone pays that. Delivery fee sounds like a DOC or Administrative Fee and GM Family First clients do NOT and should not be charged that.
  • Hi, I too am planning to purchase the car. I have shopped around a bit and found a pretty good deal on a 2004 LT base model for $17495 after rebates. The only catch is it was a saleman's demo car and it has 7,000 miles on it. is this a good deal or should I buy a brand new one for appoximately $3,000.00 more?
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Posts: 2,554
    We are considering the Malibu Maxx, but I am disappointed to see that the October incentives appear to be less than the ones that ended in September? Right now on chevrolet.com or gm.com, the current offers in the North Central region on 2004 Maxx is $3,500 and that includes any GMAC cash.

Is the information about additional incentives such as GM family member (the recent $1,000 offer which I believe is not currently in effect) usually located on GM's primary websites (gm.com, chevrolet.com, etc.)? I do not see any information like this posted in the places where I've looked.
  • bdubseebdubsee Posts: 15
    Hello all, this is a great forum. I picked up my '05 Maxx LT 1SB this afternoon. Went with the Black with Gray interior. I leased using GMS, a $1000 UAW-Retiree Certificate, $1000 rebate, and $500 GMAC Bonus Cash. The SmartLease is 24 months, 30k miles. I paid 1st month and security deposit and my payment is $275.19.
  • lee_wlee_w Posts: 239
    Congrats and thanks for sharing your information! Enjoy your new vehicle.
    On Saturday, my salesperson delivered our new 2004 Malibu Maxx LT to our driveway. The dealership is Suburnan Chevrolet in Ann Arbor, MI. We live 50-60 miles away. I was impressed that they offered to deliver the car. After all, it's a Chevy store, not a Lexus store. Overall, very pleased with the purchase experience. Only drawback was the vehicle was not really prepped as well as a new vehicle should be.

Some particulars of the deal:

Demo vehicle (driven by 60 year-old parts manager who drives like a grandpa, according to the salesperson) with 5300 miles.

Maxx LT with 1SB, DVD, XM Radio, CD changer, and sunroof. No OnStar.
    MSRP $27,250
    GMS $24,225.25
    Discount ($1,500) - this is the amount below GMS that I negotiated.
    Rebate (3,500)
    Price before tax and other state fees $19,225.25

I also paid $1,699 for a $0 deductible 5 yr / 90k mile Major Guard warranty. This was probably more than I should have paid, but I didn't feel like hassling with bargaining on it from multiple dealers and I gave in to the sales pressure. It was about $200 below the 'GMS' price that the salesperson originally quoted.

Our Maxx is Driftwood with the tan interior. The Maxx's exterior styling has grown on me over the past several months. It's not exactly beautiful, but I think of it as different - in a good way.

The interior flexibility, features, and quality is much more important to me. The Maxx scores big in all those areas.
    Forgot to mention a couple things:

No trade-in involved in this transaction.

Dealer did add a $75 'doc' fee to the $19,225 price.

Competing dealers were willing to sell $500 to $550 below GMS pricing on a brand-new 2004 Maxx LT. We decided the extra $1,000 discount was worth it in exchange for taking a vehicle with 5,000 miles on it.

Dealer indicated they couldn't / weren't allowed to show the price of the vehicle below GMS. So I paid tax on the $24,225 price instead of the price after the $1500 discount and the $3500 rebate. The $1500 and $3500 were shown as down payment, basically. I did not press the salesperson on this, as I assumed it must be required by state law or something. I doubt the dealer is charging me extra sales tax and then keeping it, since this would be unwise and illegal.
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    seems odd they can charge you tax etc on 24k when your negotiated price was 19K.....on your sales invoice..wondering how they showed the sales tax calculation.....
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    MAJOR GUARD..price..was high..but hey if you are happy with the deal that is great....the lowest I have seen is 1570 for a 6/100k plan with 0 ded
  • joe3891joe3891 Posts: 759
    In the NE the best deals were in July when they had a glut of vehicles,6k in rebates and now only 4K.
    Sounds like I'm not a TON above the best price you have heard of. $129 more than what you saw, although that was 6 yr / 100k instead of the 5 / 90 I bought.

I had a feeling I overpaid somewhat, but I just didn't feel like dealing with it any more.
  • I took delivery of my silver Maxx LS on 10-18-04. The vehicle was a base LS with no add ons. It too was a dealer demo driven by one of the dealership's sales managers since May 04. It had 7100 miles and had the 7500 mile service completed. I was very happy with the service and sales at Mirak Chevrolet. I feel like I got a great deal on this car and they are committed to my satisfaction.
    Paid $17495.00 plus tax and title.
    Was originally offered a 6 yr 60,000 mile warranty for $895.00 (warranty started at delivery miles so good to 67,100 miles on the odometer) but asked about more miles and instead opted for a 5 yr 75,000 mile warranty for the same price. So my warranty now covers the vehicle until 10-18-2009 or the odometer reads 82,1000. The only thing I wish mine had was the xm but I am looking into an aftermarket system. I just purchased an aftermarket gps system and it works fabulous. It's the Garmin Quest, it is very small and has enough memory for detailed street level maps of the NE and highway maps of all of N. America. Also talks to you "Turn left in 300ft" Only $599.00
  • joe3891joe3891 Posts: 759
    Read page 12 of your warranty booklet,demo milage not covered and even new non-demo is only covered to 1000 miles. Where did you get your information ?
  • yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    Do not know about MI, but in CT the 6% sale tax is charged from the full price, including rebates and GM Card points. CT used to tax even trade-ins, but dropped it several years ago. Does not tax what you negotiate with dealer.

For example, with MSRP $27,000, dealer price $25,500, and trade-in $2500, the full amount of $23,000 is taxed at 6%, with total tax $1380. Your $3500 GM rebate will be considered to be a part of downpayment. The same with $1000 GM card money, and the current $1000 GM card bonus. I am not sure about GMAC bonus, but most probably it taxed too.

In other words, of the total $1380 sale tax, $390 ( 6% of $3500+1000+1000+1000) is tax on rebates.

On the other hand, coupons are not taxed.
  • Just purchased our '05 this week. It's an LT w/1SB and rear DVD. (no On-Star, no 6 disc CD). I'm not much of a haggler, but the salesman is a good friend of mine.....he's still a salesman nonetheless, so I'm not sure if I received the best deal-or if I'm his latest victim...I even told him as much!!! I won't let him forget how he ripped my head off on this deal no matter how well he thinks he treated me....I had no trade either.

MSRP was $27,345.00
    GM Rebate 2,000.00

I paid $23,500 plus tax/title/plates fees. He had to dealer trade to find the Medium Gray color w/the rear DVD so he said that he couldn't "get into the holdback" for me. This, after reading other posts, appears to be legitimate.
    Sounds like he gave you a pretty decent deal, especially since you are earlier in the model year. Invoice on that vehicle is about $2,000 below MSRP (I didn't look up the exact figures), so he seems to have sold you the car for just about dealer invoice minus the rebates. You can't really expect to do much better than that.
  • Thanks bluedevils,

I'm one of those that don't haggle much and was simply relying on the advice from a friend/salesman. Nice to know he really was treating me okay on the deal. I walked into his dealership with my checkbook and drove out 15 min. later with the car...no hassle/no haggle....I guess there is something to be said for that too. I keep my vehicles for 8-10 years so I'm looking forward to the experience.
  • e2helpere2helper Posts: 1,002
    GMS refers to GM Supplier Discount

https://www.gmsupplierdiscount.com/pages/sd_login.jsp

There is a FAQ Link off this page
    Actually, I thought GMS referred to the GM employee pricing, not the supplier discount pricing. Have I been using the wrong term?

On our 2004 Maxx, we got the GM employee pricing - a grandparent was a GM employee so that is how we qualified for the employee pricing.

On our Maxx, which had a $27,250 MSRP, the employee price was about $1,100 less than the supplier discount price.
  • e2helpere2helper Posts: 1,002
    Whoops I am wrong :)

Yes bluedevils is correct

For some reason the term "(GMS)" is always following any text talking about the "predetermined Vehicle Purchase Program price" in documentation for that program.

I thought it was an acronym and was trying to make some sense out of it.

One of the forms I saw talked abou GMS or GMU price so I know it must mean something and am still looking :LOL