Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Malibu Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• bhw77bhw77 Posts: 101
    Hi All,

04 Malibu MAXX LS 1SB option Silver/gray
    Sticker price: $23150
    Sale Price: $14999
    GM Card Points: $3100
    Total: $11900 + TTL + dealer fee
    Out of the door : $12895
    Selling Dealer: QUIRK in Braintree, MA
    Sales person: Roger Landry
    Vehicles have been heavily advertise in "Boston Globe" and "Boston Herald" and they still have some inventory left.
    Purchasing process was completely painless. Sales person was great.
    I guess I did good.....
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Posts: 2,554
    You got more than $8,000 off MSRP? How much bargaining was involved? Did you start from GMS pricing, or was this an 'open-to-the-public' deal? I know it is model year clearance time and nearing calendar year-end, but that seems like more of a discount than I would have expected. How much are the rebates in your area?

Was any trade-in involved, or just a straight Maxx purchase?
    No bargaining at all. Vehicle has been advertised in local papers: "Boston Globe" and "Boston Herald". I just called - dealership confirmed price and vehicle availability and that is pretty much it.
    They still have it
    http://www.quirkcars.com/specials/chevy/ad.htm
    You still have to finance at least $10K via GM finance.
    I am planning to pay it off within 3 month
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,896
    Car_man "Rebates, Incentives, APRs - Questions & Comments" Dec 7, 2004 1:08pm

from car_man:
    No details of this promotion, called the "Red Tag Sales Event" are available yet, but it would definitely be in the best interest of anyone who is considering purchasing a GM product to hold off on buying anything for a few days (it is rumored that the new program will begin on the 10th).

Check our Rebates, Incentives & APRs discussion for updates!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Purchased a new Maxx LT on 12/10. Had the $3500.00 rebate, addl $1500.00 off w/GMAC finance, GM card upped allowance from $875.00 to an even $2000.00, dealer discounted $1700.00, trade of $12000.00. Mistake was $199.00 security etch add-on and $159.00 dealer handling fee. UGH!
    So you were able to apply the full $2,000 GM 'earnings' on this vehicle? I haven't checked, but I thought the limit for Maxx was somewhere less than that. I was wondering if the full $2,000 could be used since GM was boosting it to that amount as a special bonus. Our GM Card earnings are < $500 and we received a letter recently, informing us that GM had bumped this amount up to $2,000 for a certain time period.
  • Local dealer has a 2004 Maxx LT with Onstar has the only option. Sticker is $25,420. Red tag price is between $18,500 and $18,900 (can't remember exactly). Does this sound about right. I have $2,000 in bonus GM earnings I can use. Anything else that I could do to get a lower price?

Thanks in advance.
  • According to the sales agreement, we received the full $2000. The GM card earnings were increased to this amount. I felt it was time to use the combination together, and really had no problem. You have even a better deal with less earnings than my original card, if they are bumping you up to 2K. Cheers!
  • We wanted one without the onstar, dvd, self adjusting mirror, I believe it was the LS1 package. It was hard to find, as most have the upgrades. Sounds like a good price to me for a car which is loaded.
  • I bought my MAXX back in May 2004 and they e-mailed me something saying that I am eligible for the GM Supplier program. If I traded in my Malibu for an Equinox would they honor the rebates plus give me more of a discount also? Or would just give you the Supplier program price and that would be it?

Discounts are about $2,000 for an Equinox
  • Rebates are in addition to whatever supplier price you're eligible for. In my case, I got GM supplier pricing, plus $1,000 GMAC financing discount, plus 0% for 72 months. That's what worked out best for my situation. Instead of the 0%, I could have elected an additional $4,000 off the purchase price.

I should note that some have been able to do BETTER than GM supplier. I did not think that was possible, but some here claim to have purchased for $500-$1000 below employee and supplier pricing.
  • I wrote a short note to the dealer about the $199 etch fee which was added. The business manager called me today to tell me they were crediting the fee. The dealer was Rothrock Chevy, Philadelphia. I really could not ask for more-they deserve an A+ on this one, and the Maxx is a dream.
  • Hi bhw77,

Did you happen to see any 04 malibu (not maxx) there in that dealership? That was an great deal for maxx, do they offer same great deal on sedan?

I would love to drive there for a great deal!(live in CT)
  • Bill Kay in Lisle IL, Purchased 8/04. Had the "supplier" friend price. Sat down and negotiated and I was able to get a better deal without. A loaded LT only missing OnStar and DVD, No card rebates or trade. 26,500 list. 19,800 out the door, tax title etc. I even knew the business manager a little bit and as he was new there and I gave him the "referral" he got me 3.49%. After reading the posts, I think it was fair for what I had going in.
  • tim10tim10 Posts: 15
    Malibu base sticker 20,365 after cruise/remote keyless/remote start/floor mats.

Price started with GM Friends & Family discount (father works for a GM supplier), however the dealer said he would have given me the same price regardless..

Starting price 18,960 minus 1500 gmac, minus 2000 gm rebate, minus 2x500 GM Value certificates, minus $500 gm dealership discount that was mailed to a prior customer to share with a friend by year end, minus $2000 in earnings from the GM Gold card

Total financed 11,960 + tax & title. Nailed me with 8.9% but I'll pay off when the first bill comes. The dealership in PA also owes me about $1000 now because they damaged by wife's vehicle when a sales person backed into it when it was locked up last night for 'collateral' on the 24 hour test drive I did.
    cranberries:

Sorry my post get deleted, I guess I cannot post

dealership name/links. I have checked their inventory on-line and there is no 04' left.

Send me e-mail and I will send you links to their website. I have good experience with them.

I also tried to work with GMBuypower but their prices were way to high
  • lee_wlee_w Posts: 239
    You are able to post dealership name and location. I am sure other posters will be savvy enough to find a website if they are interested( google, infospace, mapquest.......)
  • Malibu gurus - I am basically offered GMS price + rebates on 2004 Maxx LT with 1SB and XM. This is in Olathe, KS.

MSRP $25,955

discounted price: $23,098

Rebates: 3500 GM + 2000 GMAC + 1000 GMS bonus = 6500

Subtotal: $16598 (not including tax, title, license)

Dealer has offered this GM warranty:

6 year 100,000 $200 deductible - $1995

From reading through this forum some my impression is this is fair deal on the car and a high price for the extended warranty. What is a good deal on the warranty?

I had to hunt down the car myself to find an 04 Maxx LT without DVD, OnStar, and 6-CD. There are still some 04 out there - I found 44 total within 300 mile distance.

Looking forward to joining the club next week if everything works out.
    Sounds pretty good to me. At the present time you won't be able to do much better. Plus, you are finding a 2004 model that's equipped basically the way you want it - and that's not always so easy to do this late in the model year.

Those rebates look awfully juicy. Wish I had timed things a bit better on our 2004 Maxx LT purchase (pulled the trigger in October).

We paid $1599 for a 5 yr / 90k $0 deductible warranty and I think that was $200-400 above the best price you can find on such a warranty. Your warranty quote is probably at least $500 high, maybe even $800 high. Personally, I'd buy the zero deductible and on the 6 yr / 100k, shoot for about $1500.

On the car, you are getting about $9500 off MSRP which is a LOT. And thinking about what you will be getting for $16,598 + TTL, you are getting a lot of car for not a lot of money.

I'd work the dealer down a little on the warranty and go for it.
  • I've been shopping for a Pontiac Vibe, but the incentives were too good to pass up on the 04 Maxx. Here is what I got.

MSRP - $23,150 (Maxx with 1SB)

GM in the Driveway price - $21148

Less $3500 GM rebate

Less $1500 GMAC rebate

Less $3661.59 GM card dollars

Total $12487 + tax
  • joe3891joe3891 Posts: 759
    Subtract 3 from the years, it includes the 3yr-36K, most people don't know that.
    Unbelievable deal. I get jealous when I hear people getting this type of deal on a new vehicle.

Is the $1500 GMAC rebate being advertised somewhere? I haven't seen mention of it.
  • Helped my step-mother purchase an '05 Maxx LS today. Car has no options, but came with floormats and a rear spoiler (but no wiper), neither of which were listed on the sticker. With all rebates, she paid $16035.00 + TTL. Very easy buying experience, and she is very happy with her silver Maxx. It is a nice car for what she paid, but not at MSRP. Amazing discounts right now!
  • Bluedevils:

I found it on gmbuypower.com under the current offers section. I'm in the western region. I checked the other regions and all regions are offer a GMAC rebate on the 04 MAXX. Most are $1500, but the southcentral region is $2000 and the southeast is only $1000.
  • I received this quote from Fichtner Chevrolet in Montana. They do a lot of long distance warranty sales. The $100 ded was about $1500.

72/100K $200 ded $1305
  • maxx4memaxx4me Posts: 1,340
    FYI:

Capper's $200 deduct for the 6yr/100k is $1,255

Black's cost is $1,285
  • madmaxxmadmaxx Posts: 44
    I like my '04 Maxx LS so much I traded it for another, identical '04 Maxx LS(same color even).

I racked up 14,950 miles on my Maxx since purchasing it early last August.

GM Card sent me $2,000 bonus cash/credit for use against '04 GM ($2,500 for select '05's).

So.. I took my '04 Maxx to the dealer and told them I would trade my Maxx for it's twin, new brother, plus my $2,000 credit--straight across, no cash.

They quickly accepted! (Wished I'd asked for an 04 LT or 05 LS.)

Bottom line: I drove a new car for 5 months and 15,000 miles for nothing other than gas and oil changes.

The bonus credit expires tomorrow, so I'm out nothing.

The only downside, is my new Maxx is a March build date, so I'll have to have the service department do all the TSBs.

I pick up my newest Maxx tomorrow.

Absolutley Amazing!
  • tim10tim10 Posts: 15
    That's incredible. Good job, most of us would have never even thought to ask them to trade!!! Maybe in 6 months when GM card does another $2000 bump-up, you'll trade for an '05!

I'm surprised but glad for you that they let you do this with only a $2000 'depreciation' hit. Goes to show they REALLY like the end of the year sales. I think any sales up till Jan 3rd count towards the dealerships 2004 sales.
    That is amazing. What were the particulars of the first deal and of the 2nd deal? Did your first deal include a trade, or was it a straight buy of the Maxx? How great a deal did you get?

To take only a $2,000 depreciation hit on the first Maxx, you must have gotten a really good price on it.
  • Bought a Maxx LS around Labor Day '04. Window price $23,150....with $3,300 discount, under $750 GM card redemption, and rebates.....paid $13,000.

Loved the Maxx so much, bought an LT with sunroof on Dec 18, '04......window price $25,450 ....with $1,000 GM card redemption, discount, and rebates.......paid $15,000