Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited April 2015 in Toyota
Current pricing discussion: 2015 RAV4 Prices Paid

For current leasing info, go to 2015 Toyota RAV4 Lease Questions

Comments

• tcpip1tcpip1 Member Posts: 121
    Anyone bought a 2004 RAV4 recently?

How much did you pay?

Is invoice + $100 doable?

Thanks!
  • alfie58alfie58 Member Posts: 7
    Can anyone tell me how much each one cost? And which one is better in durability? I appreciate any and all responses!

BTW, how much is APR rates if my credit is 758? My uncle said about 4% but I just want to make sure before I negotiate with my dealer.

I appreciate your help!
    Jen
  • celica115celica115 Member Posts: 169
    Unlike Honda and Subaru, nobody would like to share RAV4 purchase experience here.

I checked on many web sites, it seems like we can't get the RAV4 under invoice.
  • rav4driverrav4driver Member Posts: 38
    I bought a 2004 RAV4 in December. At that time, the dealers were all eager to sell me one. I used the Internet to check their inventory. On average, a dealer had about 10 in stock, so the supply was excellent.

I got a RAV4 L 4WD with side curtain bags and other options. The MSRP is about 25.2K. I paid about 22.7K (excluding tax, title, etc.).

I heard people could get one under invoice.

The key is to have the cash ready, let the dealers know that you want one by the end of 1/2004, and will only pay for the invoice.

Note that you need to calculate your own invoice price. Some dealers add bogus fees like "ad fees" to their invoice.
  • celica115celica115 Member Posts: 169
    There is 2.9% APR for 60 months this month. I may take this advantage. I am comparing the price for the RAV4 and CRV. The CRV EX is almost 2K more than a RAV AWD auto. I am going to try to get their invoice price. Hopefully under 20K with Destination Charge.

One thing I don't like the RAV4 is too many options. Please give me some advice.

1/What is the different between V5 (V.I.P R3200 Plus Security System) and V3?
    2/Is keyless entry requied for either V3 or V5?
    3/Should I get the Anti-Theft System w/Engine Immobilizer?
    The key is to find a car on a dealer's lot that has the options you want. For example, here is an 2004 RAV4 4WD auto with the following options:

50 STATE EMISSIONS
    ROOF RACK
    MUD GUARDS
    PRIVACY GLASS

According to this site, the MSRP is $21,930, and the invoice is $19,982.

If you want the keyless entry and security, you may need to buy one with the "L" upgarde and other options that will bring the MSRP to $25K+.

I believe you need to get KE in order to get the V5 (my car has both). I don't have V5 or Engine Immobilizer.

Security systems can reduce your insurance cost; check with your ins. company.

I would buy the base model and install the security system later if needed.
    I don't have the V3 or the PN (Anti-Theft System w/Engine Immobilizer) option.

The 2004 RAV4 is very nice and a good value if you buy the base model (no "L" package, aluminum wheels, and side air bags). It has more standard safety features than the CR-V EX.

Beside the side air bags, you can add the aluminum wheels, rear spoiler, etc. later when you have more budget to customize your RAV4.
  • ohmygoshohmygosh Member Posts: 66
    I will be buying in the next month. Keep going back to the Highlander 6 Cyl AWD but don't really want or need that 3rd seat. The Rav is getting my attention. I am looking at a loaded sports edition AWD w/ leather pkg. What can I expect to pay ? Also, will I have a problem finding this vehicle in stock ?
  • purplecatpurplecat Member Posts: 4
    Ohmygosh... I am also about ready to buy and have found Edmunds perfect for getting pricing. I also spent time surfing the local dealers websites for availability and pricing. I test drove the Highlander and determined it was more vehicle I needed. RAV4 are running around the low to mid $20s for the loaded versions here in Richmond, VA.

Happy shopping
    I believe this combination is rare. If it can be ordered from Japan, then a dealer can order it for you. Be prepare to pay close to MSRP (or more) once the dealer knows that you want this car badly. The dealer may require you to put down some deposit to make sure you won't change your mind when the car arrives.
  • kakadudreamerkakadudreamer Member Posts: 1
    I paid $24K for a loaded 2004 RAV4 AWD; the MSRP was $26.6K. A factory order was my only choice; certain options like side airbags were unavailable anywhere in California. Now I've got a RAV4 equipped unlike anyone else in CA! My philosophy is simple: if you're gonna spend 20K or more on a new vehicle, make sure you get exactly what you want. Take the time to research and pick the options you want (Toyota's options can sometimes be a bit confusing); you can select up to 15 options on a factory ordered vehicle. Then sit back and be patient: it's a 3 month wait.
  • myrav4toymyrav4toy Member Posts: 4
    I was in a car wreck and had a Corolla, I wanted a Toyota and wanted a SUV, so I searched the Toyota site and local dealers also on Edmunds and any search engine I could find to look up more info on the RAV4--I went to three local dealers and looked at the 2004 models and they also had a 2001 and 2002 on the lot, I was able to get a '04 but it would have left me a bit tight money wise, if the best deal was the '04 I was going for it-all the research I did, I printed and had a large folder also, I ended up getting the '01 model it had only 9,830 miles, it was certified and it had the roof rack,mud guards, tinted windows,air conditioning and I had them put in a keyless entry alarm with auto start, the money I save on insurance will pay the alarm system in no time....I live in NY, we get the insurance discounts.......the '04 has a larger engine and more horsepower then the '01 but I am not going to a race track that the faster motor will really make a difference...the RAV4 is in tip top shape and I also took out an extended warranty on it also---the RAV4 cost me $15,900 and it saved me $7,000 if I bought the new model....from the outside you can not tell what year it is and I can deal with the smaller engine............so if u want to be able to compare what years are better, do the research and figure which one is better for your needs, then go into the dealer and u make the deal not them, I told them what I was looking for and how much I was not going to pay, if they can help me great if not good bye......I feel I got a great deal and I am very happy with my RAV4---good luck to all........
  • chrizchriz Member Posts: 3
    I bought my RAV4 model 2004 and paid 40.000 US $...that may sound MIGHTY expensive, but in Denmark that's the price -and then it only comes with the frontseats because of some government tax rules (you are not allowed more than 2 people and to make sure of that they rip out the seats in the back and fine you to death if they catch you doing any tricks!!)...if I wanted (or rather could afford) the RAV with backseats....I would have to pay: 69.000 US$!!!!!
    If I had gone for the Landcruiser VX100 with 4 seats: 210.000 US$
  • wsommarivawsommariva Member Posts: 157
    Why so expensive? Is Denamrk protecting the local car makers?
  • chrizchriz Member Posts: 3
    We have no local car makers in Denmark. Our neighbours, Sweden and Germany, are doing just fine while all we seem to do here is add taxes upon taxes which makes this country a living nightmare for car owners......so when I read about you guys complaining about RAV4's at a price of 20 K's - you have to understand if I don't sympathize!!!
    On top of the "knock out" price for my RAV4 I have to pay the yearly insurance of 1400 US$ and another yearly tax of 1500 US$ for polluting...it all adds up!
    Gas here in Denmark is 1,2 Dollars a liter.....don't know the calculation into gallons -but expensive anyways!
    Writing all this makes me wonder if getting that car was such a good idea after all!!!

Good thing you have a Toyota. Perhaps the most reliable car line today. I also own a VW Jetta. To-date it's had 22 parts failures, but I love it. If I paid $40,000 for it I would drive it through the VW dealers front window.
  • drenchdrench Member Posts: 2
    Well we just bought our FWD RAV-4 with these options Roof rack w/ center rails
    16" aluminum wheels
    keyless entry with 3 button comf tone
    front and rear mudgards
    rear privacy glass
    removable non retractable tonneau cover
    prefered accessory package
    convienience package
    towing reciever hitch
    auto dimming mirror with compass
    VIP RS3200 plus security system

for $18900
    $20000 even TAX, Title, fees out the door.
    $4000 under sticker and a fair amount under invoice for my area. Norfolk, VA.

Despite that i would have rather had the Honda CR-V but my Wife wanted this one for some reason.We could'nt get the Honda dealers to budge that much on price but the toyota dealerships seemed to be having trouble getting the Rav-4 off there lots. We were offered quite a few deals. I have only had the car now a few days and while i enjoy the ride the lack of space is killing me and the interior wich is much prettier than the CR-vs seemed made for a smaller person perfect for my wife a little cramped for me. How is everyone else enjoying there vehacle so far.
  • hoodyhoody Member Posts: 25
    Drench ... can you post the dealers name or number there in Norfolk?... I'm about 90 miles west of you (Pburg area) I checked with CarMax and they didn't have a price like that....
    BTW What is the "prefered accessory package
    convienience package"? is this like the "L" Model?
  • drenchdrench Member Posts: 2
    We purchased it threw checkered toyota you may also want to check out priority toyota. Priority also was dealing hard on the rav-4 they gave a simular deal on a sport package with moonroof. I belive it was 20990 out the door. And gave us the impression they would of gone lower but the car was the wrong color and checkered offered us this deal so we just took it.

We negotiated both times with the carsDirect internet salesmen. The negotiations were pretty smooth everytime we tryed to leave to look at the honda CR-v for comparisons they would comeback with a lower price. Just tell them you are ready to buy that day. They seem very eager to get the Rav-4's out the door. Seems to be a norfolk thing, does'nt seem to be much use for SUV's here.
    Anyway good luck

P.S. The prefered package is just floor mats, first aid and cargo nets nothing spectactular convenience package on the other hands puts in a nice stainless steel step up tube looks real nice. And stainless steel racing petals. Mostly superficial stuff. That make the car looke more fresh and sporty.
    OK Thank's man for the info... I got both dealers web site and all their info..... only deal is I guess the ones they have on their site are all compatable in price on both dealers, and no way near what you got, guess they can't post that amyway, has to be a "local deal" thing..... Also that Priority is also here in Colonial Heights, they have dealerships in tidewater, Richmond, and here... but who knows if the same deal is available at either. I may just hold up to see what the 05's will have different, I'd like to see a auto telescoping antenna and a smaller spare tire that would fit inside, and inflate like a airbag when needed.... BTW: you got a first name of the sales person you delt with at Checkerd?
  • cebceb Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I just bought a used 2001 Rav 4. 57,000 miles, excellent condition, clean vehicle history, leather steering wheel, tilt steering, am/fm cd cassette, power everything, tinted windows, luggage rack, alloy wheels, 2 wheel drive, ac, cloth interior, 100,000 mile or 3 year bumper-to-bumper warranty, car alarm, and lo-jack theft system......$17,800 (financed 3.9% apr $245 per month for 60 months). Did I do ok? Just wondering as it's too late now if I didn't!! :) Thanks!
  • dealhunterdealhunter Member Posts: 2
    This is my estimate based on my purchase price and the options listed. With the help of Edmunds.com, I was able to calculate the known part of the invoice. I added $300 for TDA which is toyota's advertising costs...one of the unknown costs Edmunds warns us about. With that I figured how much I paid under invoice. But we all know (according to Edmunds) that the dealer didn't really lose any money on this sale. I don't know about dealer hold backs and other profits that they get for selling this car to me well under invoice.
  • newbynewby Member Posts: 1
    Options:
    keyless entry, mudguards, roof rack.

MSRP: $20800
    Invoice: $18961
    Edmunds TMV: $19444
    Paid: $19200

No document fees, runners fees, inspection charge, etc. Total price.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A journalist is hoping to interview consumers who recently bought pre-owned crossover vehicles (such as the Acura MDX, Audi quattro, Ford Escape, Hyundai Santa Fe, Subaru Baja, Toyota RAV4, Volvo XC70, etc). Why did you go for a cross-over? Which one? How does it suit your tastes, lifestyle and budget?
    Please respond to newswiz@earthlink.net and/or jfallon@edmunds.com by Friday, March 5 with your name, daytime contact information and some information about your vehicle.
    Thanks!
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• preludexlpreludexl Member Posts: 33
    yeah but is that with tax/title included?
  • blackandblueblackandblue Member Posts: 66
    Does anyone know what the true TDA cost is for the RAV4. It's printed right on the invoice. I live in Buffalo NY (if it's a regional thing)
  • lbmcclbmcc Member Posts: 15
       The TDA was $440 on the RAV my wife just bought. We are from East Amherst/Buffalo and found the best deal @ Culligan. She got a loaded RAV L (leather, heated seats...everything!) at invoice. We also were given fair money for our trade and overall had a good experience. We played the game and went to numerous Toyota dealers. We considered the Escape, CRV, and just recently the Equinox but always came back to the RAV. The Nox looks great but has a very cheap appearing interior and we read there are concerns about its' old style 3.4L V6.
       She picks it up this Tues and is very excited. The only thing she doesn't like is that our kids are calling it her "Ravioli".
    Was your deal Invoice or Invoice plus $440 (TDA). We've been shopping at Northtown but have not comitted yet so I have not asked for there best price. They keep asking about our trade so I'm thinking they may give me a good price on the RAV4 but hit me on the trade. How did you verify your trade price, Kelly blue book value, depreachion calculation, Edmunds trade value? Thanks.
      We paid invoice plus TDA after visiting Northtown and Culligan numerous times, and Basil and Westherr each once.
      Northtown said they could beat ANY price, but when it came down to it they wouldn't beat Culligan's price (before we even talked about our trade). We were ready to walk out at Culligan but then got $1K more for our trade to go along with their "tires for life" deal (a gimmick I know). I think we played their game the best we could.
      My wife really liked the salesman at Northtown and we wanted to give him our business, but they let us walk out the door when we WERE READY TO BUY and we never went back. They called us ~DAILY until I returned their call and told them we had purchased from Culligan.
      The key is holding your ground and mentioning what the other dealers are offering. Get your best price ("Yes I am ready to buy today") and then take that to the other dealer. I showed Northtown the invoice I had from Culligan with the salesman's notes, but they wouldn't budge.
      I'm interested to know how your do.
    We used Kelly Blue book for what we wanted/expected for our trade.
  • nerpnerp Member Posts: 2
    DW's 1996 Ford Windstar was getting tired, and we were looking at either CRV or RAV4 to replace it. Hated the rear seats in CRV (fronts not much better), so went into Toyota of Richardson (TX) for a "test drive". DW liked the look and how it drove from the beginning. So we sat down with the salesman to see what kind of price it would come out at. This was the first Toyota d/ship we went to, planning on going to several others around town. We were not going to trade the Winnie at all, just to sell it private party. (Edmunds or Kelly Blue Book ranges from 2,200 - 3,800). He asked if we wanted to trade it - said no, because I could get ~3,500 for it PP. "What if I was able to give you 3,000 for it?" he said. "Let's talk" I said, knowing that something else would increase to compensate.

Surprisingly, there were no surprises -

$500 over invoice
    minus $750 rebate (didn't know there was one!)
    $3,000 for the trade (negotiated up from the initial 2,500)
    Out the door cost of $22,450

BTW, Kelly Blue Book has our minivan as trade in between 2,100 and 2,800 (good to fair cond, high miles)

We did add aftermarket leather seats and sunroof because they couldn't locate an identical model - a local company is contracted out by ToR to do this work. (890 for sunroof, 1500 for leather seats) I suspect we overpaid for the seats by maybe as much as 800, but we were so happy to get 3,000 for the trade, this was probably the mark up compensation. (s/r & leather seats included in the 22,450 price by the way)

Details: (invoice / retail)
    Base price (17,384 / 19,400)
    Sport package (500/625)
    privacy glass (248 / 310)
    window tint (75 / 149)
    aluminum wheels (551 / 699)
    vehicle shield pkg (overpriced car wax) (112 / 349)
    extra mile pkg B (636 / 1058)
    fluff items on the invoice (1248 / n/a) (TDA, MAF, 2% holdback, PIO holdback, finance reserve)

This extra mile pkg item does not appear on Edmunds - you supposedly get free tires if they wear out up to 100,000 miles. Also includes mats, keyless entry + alarm.

We didn't go to any other dealers as we felt we got a good deal right off the bat. Easy to deal with, never felt any pressure.

The down side:
    It took 4 hours from in to out, 2 of which were the business office type of stuff, including trying to sell the overpriced extended warranty.
    The ride was bumpy on the highway (see other posts) - the cold tire pressures on passenger side were 44 & 48 psi, drivers side were about 36. Recc cold psi is 29. A quick fix - much better now.

Sorry for the long post, hope this is useful to someone.

Nerp.
  • rav4me02rav4me02 Member Posts: 1
    I have noticed that the 04 pricing is cheaper than the 02 that we purchased in Jan 02. We have fully equipped AWD with all options except leather for 20,600. The best part is we went looking to buy used (1999) but DH didn't like it, told me if I really wanted one to get a new one. Within an hour of agreeing to purchase, we drove the car home. I have never driven home a new car the same day. By the way, I had owned 3 Camrys prior to the Rav and I think this drives better and I love the seat height. I got into my sister's full size SUV and I had to climb in but the seats were lower. Even my 6'3" DH finds the Rav comfortable. For me I don't have to climb in like I do in my DH 4runner, but the seating gives a great view of the road. I commute 40 miles each way and get gas mileage in the high 20's. I have been driving it for 2.5 years and I'm not bored yet. It's a fun car to drive. I am thinking about the Highlander hybrid in the future, but I'm not ready to part with my Rav just yet
    New RAV4 from Culligan Auto Place, Buffalo NY. AWD with the sport package plus the the usual options. Sticker was $23,862, I offered $21,965 (Invoice price $21,525 plus TDA $440) and they excepted. The trade-in offer was acceptable. Thanks Ibmcc.
    We also have a 2002 and a 2004. The 2004 was indeed cheaper. Happy about that.

I have noticed that the 2004 doesn't shift as smoothly as the 2002. We have FWD. Do you notice a difference?

Also, did you get the no charge dash rattle option on your 2004?
    Your welcome. My wife absolutely LOVES her RAV!! Her only negative comment since she's had it was: "I wish it didn't have the spare on the back"....
    I was wondering what are some of the deals others have gotten on a extended warranty from Toyota.
  • rav4sjvmrav4sjvm Member Posts: 1
    I want to buy a RAV on-line, no test drive, sight unseen. I have never bought a car before. I wanted a really loaded 5spd RAV4 which doesn't seem to exist in my area so all the dealers want to sell me what they have and then finish it off post-factory; leather/heat seats, sun roof, alarm, hitch. I also have a three week time constraint which means no special order from Japan. One dealer is offering me a AWD L package at 22,600 another dealer offers it at 23,110. Seems that both are really high compared to what you folks are saying. How do I get them to get their prices down?? I am in the central Virginia area.
    Also what say you:is the platinum extended warranty a good idea and what about the 5yr prepaid maintenance.
  • barbarabethbarbarabeth Member Posts: 9
    I want to buy a new RAV4 green w/taupe interior L package, automatic. Can't find one in RI or MA, but did in NH - a demo. MSRP is $24,687 - dealer is offering the car at $22,456 which is $50 less than invoice plus TDA ($300). The car has 4,773 miles on it - they will discount another 15 cents per mile for another $716 off. The total for the car would be $21,861 including the $125 admin/title fee. Is this a good deal? I ask because I see invoices online from other dealers at $22,072. Will they just add in the TDA once they get you to come in? Also not sure about the demo thing. Comments?
    The .15 per mile seems low, try looking for another source for data. What does the IRS allow for tax purposes? As for the invoice, the actual from Toyota has the TDA $$ included and the dealer should let you see it. If not, walk.
  • bikeman3bikeman3 Member Posts: 85
    I think this is a very reasonable offer considering its the color scheme you want, 15cents per mile is very reasonable considering when you lease a vehicle the mfg charges the same for excess miles. This is a one of kind offer and someone will take advantage of it if you don't!
    He did show me the dealer invoice which I thought was positive. I guess the 15 cents is based on the leasing overage.
    That's a reasonable explanation. I did put a small deposit on the car ($100) until I can drive it - it hadn't been turned in yet.

Anything special I should be looking for on a demo car?
  • bikeman3bikeman3 Member Posts: 85
    Most DEMO vehicles are used by company officials or salespeople for up to about 6000 miles if over 6K they are sold as new with high mileage , but this vehicle has less. So it seems like a good deal. Just make sure on delivery that everything is there such as floor mats and cargo net etc. If you finance you should qualify for the lowest apr for you credit score. My daughter just got A 04 RAV4 used with about 6000 miles on it and she loves it. It too was the color she wanted most.
  • daryll44daryll44 Member Posts: 307
    OK, what should I do? They have an '04 RAV L that is pretty much exactly what I want. Sticker is about $25500 and, including the current $750 rebate it can be bot for $22500...3 grand off.

I plan to keep this for 4 years exactly. I looked at the the Kelley Blue Book and Edmunds sites and a 2000 RAV4 in good shape with 35,000 miles (about what I expect...it's a "second" car) is worth about $10700. A 2001 with the same miles is worth about $1000 more. In other words, if someone had done what I am doing 4 years ago, the one model year older vehicle with the same miles would be worth only a grand less.

So what it boils down to is this: Will an '05 (they say due in October but I'd bet sooner) be able to be bot for 2 grand off sticker? Paying more than that would point the equation in favor of the '04...at least financially. Getting a bigger discount than $2000 would point the equation in favor of getting the '05 since an '04 now goes for $3000 off sticker but is worth $1000 less at the other end.

What do you guys think?
  • stacy1stacy1 Member Posts: 5
    I was at a Toyota dealer today and they would not show me the invoice price after requesting it. Can they do that? Does anyone know what invoive is on a RAV 4 L 4WD? price I got with Navigation is around 25000. Sound fair?
    What is TDA?
    I think Toyota has a 2% holdback off of the base MSRP of your vehicle.
  • andil1andil1 Member Posts: 97
    You can go to Edmunds pricing section, build your car the way you want it, put in your zipcode, and find out both the invoice price as well as what people are paying on the average. Click on the NEW CARS tab at the top of this page, then click PRICE W/OPTIONS, and you're on your way.

I'm not familiar with navigation being an option from the factory. Is it a dealer installed unit?
    Stands for Toyota Dealers Association and there is a line on the invoice for group advertising. For the RAV4 it's $440. If you calculate the actual invoice cost including all the options using Edmunds or Kelly Blue Book dot Com and then add the $440 that's been the dealers bottom line for the two RAV's we bought this year (about $2,000 off the sticker). There is also dealer hold back and on the RAV4 it is $414 according to Consumer Reports.