Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet HHR

Comments

• theo2709theo2709 Posts: 476
    Actually you should feel too young to buy an Element. The average buyer age is somewhere in the 40s.

The HHR is supposed to be very roomy and big for its segment.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    Good. Something roomy and big that's not an SUV...
  • yuk. yukky. and yukkiest of the yukky. in a nutshell.
  • npgmbrnpgmbr Posts: 248
    What I meant by (too small) was the size of the PT. Although I have only been in a PT once and it was just for a minute. It just didn't seem very roomy inside. If the HHR is about the size of an Element then its right up my alley. As a single guy, with only a cat that thinks shes a dog, I don't need much room but at the same time I don't want something that does not make efficient use of space. The Element does that very well but the HHR just looks more my style.
    nothing new, huh?
    Nope, GM is doing a good job about keeping it a secret.
    they following in Honda's footsteps?
    Well I hope someone can find out something soon. Would love to know more about the HHR.
    we can always speculate on this board. That's how the Future Odyssey board has so many posts. By speculating and asking the few insiders that show up on the board with questions that lead us one step closer to figuring out the mystery.
  • rick2rick2 Posts: 3
    The HHR is nice looking, but the time to capitalize on the 'retro sedan' thing was 5 years ago. They're offering nothing substantially different than the PT Cruiser with this car. Is GM so fat and bloated that it takes them 5 years to respond to market demand with a new product? They've got to give their heads a collective shake; they kill the successful Camaro/Firebird, and start importing the Holden Monaro jellybean in its place and call it a GTO. With decisions like this, I can only assume they're banking on GM loyalty to carry the day, because they're not really giving anyone a reason to buy GM.

If they were going to plunk a V8 in this thing, give it rear wheel drive, then maybe it'd be different enough to justify bringing to market. As it stands, it's a 'me too' car, about 5 years too late.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    GTO isn't selling well...I'm not sure the timing would be good for a smallish yet very inefficient wagon.

-juice
    Exactly; GTO isn't selling well, because it is NOT what the market wants. It lacks any kind of styling.

Witness the new Dodge Hemi powered Magnum wagon. Dodge cannot keep up with the demand for the 300C and will be facing a shortage also with the Magnum. Dodge vastly under estimated the numbers of people who would be ordering the Hemi powered Magnum. It also makes use of Mercedes' proven variable cylinder displacement to conscerve fuel. It is styling and power for an affordable price, and RWD with a V8 in an attractive and versatile vehicle. Exactly what many were looking for.
    Are they really selling well? I have seen very few of those on the road (Magnum and 300C), FWIW.

HHR would have to cost $30 grand with a V8. It would be another Tahoe, almost.

-juice
    I live an hour from where they're made; I see truckload after truckload heading down the highway. People are waiting 4 to 6 months for them. Dealers are being 'rationed'. The plant is adding a third shift to keep up with demand.
    Tahoe, you mean?

Tahoe is a cash cow, no doubt, but why would GM offer a cheaper and less profitable alternative that might just cut into some of those sales? They have more demand than they know what to do with.

HHR can go after a younger, trendier niche.

-juice
    I think he meant Magnum.
    Yeah I'll admit, GM is very very very slow to respond to market trends. I like the HHR but not sure its a good idea to bring it to market so late. But then I think I'd still like to have one.

I think the problem with the GTO is the price. GM killed off the Camaro/Firebird which started in the high teens and then bring in the GTO whose base starts in the low 30s.

Of course this is great news for Ford and the Mustang particularly since they are facing no competition in that market from Diamler.
    It could be a Magnum competitor, if they drop in the right engine. Maybe a V8 with DOD, or a turbocharged V6.
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Posts: 518
    I think you are confused about the size of this vehicle. It will be on the Delta (Ion/Cobalt) platform, with 4-cyl Ecotecs. It's going to be sized more like a Matrix or a PT than a Magnum. What will make or break this car is PRICING. The PT got away with high prices for awhile, because of the initial buzz, but now they are having a hard time moving them. If Chevy lots are full of HHRs with $24K stickers, they're going to have the same problem.

-Andrew L
    they could have one version of the HHR at $24K, but the majority of the ones on dealer lots should be in the $18-$20K region. The 24K model should be the SS, and the $18K model the LS. The $20K model should be the LT.
    Agreed.

Problem with any trendy design is demand fades quickly. The guy that paid $25 grand for that early PT or New Beetle on E-bay took a bath in resale later on.

-juice
    New spy shots here.
    Wow, thanks for sharing that with us. I'd really like to get one of these. Was hoping to get an Equinox but its just too big for me. Im hoping that the HHR will be a little smaller than it looks in the pics, but I have a pretty good feeling it will be much smaller than the Nox.
  • mpg7mpg7 Posts: 17
    PT DURANGCRUISER???!!!
    GM won't price the HHR as high as they did the SSR. The article I read yesterday stated the starting price would be around 23k. But with the options you want who knows how much higher it could go. My cut-off is 28k.
    Thanks for the links.

The greenhouse does remind me of the Durango, but I'm sure it'll be a lot more compact.

I hope it's more space efficient inside than the Equinox.

-juice
    Yeah I know what you mean. I wanted an Equinox badly but it turned out to be much larger than I need.

My brother kept pushing me to get a Trailblazer (which he has) but im usually riding alone in my car so it does not make sense to buy a large vehicle.

I'm guessing that the HHR may be just a little bigger than the Element and considerably smaller than the Equinox which would give me the utility of an SUV but the compact size of my current G20. However, if it turns out to be too small, like the size of the XA then I'll get the Equinox (which my brother would hate because he now wants one).
    Equinox has good passenger room but the shock towers eat up a ton of cargo space. And I'm not sure that shelf makes up for it.

They're nicely styled, though.

I also wish the 'nox got the Malibu's 3500 engine, which is nicer.

What engines will the HHR get? It would fly with a 3500, that might even be overkill.

-juice
    Don't yet know what engine it will get but the article did state that the engine would be putting out 220 horses.