Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet HHR

Comments

• My 2010 HHR is doing the same thing. ANYONE that is having this problem, PLEASE place a complaint with the following people and see if they will get a recall done for these bad power steering units before someone gets killed.
    1. socialmedia@gm.com
    2. sarah_grace@gmexpert.com
    3. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm
  • IMO, its a defective part. My 2010 HHR had 14,000 went it went out. My dealership replaced it for free. I was still under warranty. The mechanic said the unit was fried
  • According to my mechanic the unit was fried for no apparent reason. I would never jump anyone. Cars are computerized today and it could cause problems for your car
  • laserbluelaserblue Posts: 313
    This morning I noticed a multicolor smear floating in a puddle of water in front of my 2010 HHR.
    A mixture of blue, green yellow liquid floating on the water.
    I touched it, didn't feel greasy nor oily, I smelled it and didn't smell anything.
    Checked under the hood and can't see nothing abmormal.
    I noticed recently that when a start my HHR it have a weird smell coming from the exhaust.
    Any idea what could be the problem?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,100
    edited January 2013
    laserblue,

Per this ACDelco page, it looks like green/yellow fluid may be coolant.

Do you have a game plan for getting the leak, and the exhaust smell, checked int at all?

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,271
    I think green/yellow would be more applicable to older pre-dexcool vehicles (except if another brand of coolant was added at some point).

To help prove there is a leak, perhaps you could try putting a very large piece of cardboard under the vehicle when parking it overnight and if it does show signs of stain note general area of engine compartment where its coming from. (Hmm green perhaps refrigerant for A/C system)
  • We might put our 2010 HHR for trade in this summer.
    We can't decide on what to trade it for...I'm interested in the 2013 Chevrolet Trax and my wife prefers a 2013 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback (our kids are gone and we're both in our mid-50's)
    What would be your choice? and Why?
  • Today, I had repairs done on my 2010 HHR LT2 with only 26,000 miles and I would like to know if these are common problems or just my bad luck?
    #1 They had to change the "Transmission Cooler Line" because it had oil leaking from it.
    #2 They changed the right and left "Strut Boots and Bumpers" on my front suspension.

How can this have happen? I take really good care of my HHR and I'm a conservative driver, not rude at all on my HHR.

Bad luck or common problem on the HHR's?
  • I have a 2010 HHR mine had only 14,000 miles. I had to replace the ignition switch and the power steering part it had been fried. Im wondering if its just problems with the 2010
  • I also had the ignition switch replaced but not because of a problem, I had received a recall letter saying that I should go to any G.M. dealer to get it changed.
    No problem with the power steering but I've read that there has been lot's of issues about it.
  • Benn having all kinds of problems for about 3 years with my HHR. I took it to my fifth different auto shop less than a month ago.They found a loose plug or wire under my car. Its been about 3 and a half weeks and no problems so far. I will post back if this didn't fix the problem.
  • Benn having the same problem for about 3 years until i took it to my fifth auto shop. They found a loose plug or wire under my car. Its been about 3 and a half weeks and no problem so far. I will post back if this didn't fix the problem.
    Hopefully all is resolved, pennynole! Did you work with a GM dealership at all along the way? Let us know if we can follow up on anything for you.
  • No, I just kept taking it to different dealers. The one before thought my pmc - dmc or something like that got wet and was making my computer box go crazy, So I gave the last dealer all my info he said it wasn't the dmc or pmc. My car finally act up with him but reset before he could check for the problem. So he went under my car and traced all my wires and said my plugs or wire came loose. I've driven it 800 miles and no problems so far.
  • Do u lose u power steering while the light is on?? My PS box was fried .
  • Yes, I couldn't even turn my wheels.I also had other lights that came on and they all reset some times when i cut the car off. I think the car light with a lock came on and I think it was a engine light. I think if you are having any electronic problem then that could be whats wrong with your car. I had to pay $86 to fix it I still want believe my car is fix even though i think it is.
  • When I had my problems with the steering light coming on, they claimed they couldn't find anything. Then they said that I had a low fuse or something and that I must have had the car jumped. I never had any reason to jump my car. Anyway to make a long story short, after I raised cane about how dangerous it is to drive this car on the freeway during peak hours, they called me in and fixed it. It would have cost me $450 but got it done free. I still don't feel safe in it. I did file a claim with the Dept of Public Safety and was told there were not enough complaints to make a recall.
  • pennynolepennynole Posts: 6
    edited February 2013
    Same thing happen to me. I never felt safe and never drove my car out of town. I'm still scared its not fixed because every time I took it they either said it was fixed or couldn't find anything wrong. I told one car shop to keep it until it messed up and they kept it for 18 day and didn't have a problem with it. I took my car to 4 different dealers to be fix 6 or 7 times only the last dealer fixed it right away.
  • I haven't seen the power steering light any more, but it seems to want to surge now. I don't drive mine out of town either and it sounds like a tin can now.
  • I never had any noise coming from my car.
  • My 2010 has the same problem? How did you fix it?
  • I took mine to the dealership and they fixed it for free , Mine was still under warranty. It was fried I think it was defective
  • They had to replace the steering module -$450. They paid for it.
    bearsloft,
    If you need any assistance getting this checked out by a local dealership (should you choose to go that route), please don't hesitate to contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
    My HHR is a 2010 and recently I went to the dealer because when I put the brakes on the car would pull to the left and when I turned my wheels to the left and move forward I could hear a knocking/popping sound coming from underneath the car.
    For the first problem of pulling to the left when applying the brakes they told me that it needed a alignment, what they did but it's still pulling to the left like before and for the second problem, the knocking/popping sound they replaced the strut boots and bumper and it didn't solve the problem, still hearing the exact same sound.
    They said that they don't see nothing else that could cause those two problems.
    Anyone else have experienced similar problems on their HHR?
    I recently had a problem with my 06' with a knocking sound when turning left, ended up being a wheel bearing.

In my case the knock would happen when taking a faorly tight turn at 30MPH or above. I drove it quite a while before getting it fixed and it didn't exhibit more common wheel bearing noise until just before I brought it in.
    Those who read my #1595 post...well I went to a different GM dealer and they heard it on the first try (Go figure). They found the problem in 5 minutes, repaired it. The problem..."Both front bearings seized".
    Weird! Three visits since january at a dealer...couldn't find or hear nothing. Went to another dealer, hear and finds the problem in 5 minutes.
    Runs like new.
    Lucky, because my warranty end on the 6th of may...11 days from now.
    I'm asking myself if the first dealer I went to would have found the problem after the 6th of may? After my warranty had ended?
  • Was it expensive to get it fixed?
    No, it was covered by the warranty, but the warranty will me over on the 6th of may...someone had to find this problem fast, that's why I went to another GM dealer. A bit further but it was worth it.
    If I would of paid for that repair it would have cost me... 391.00$
    Suspension mecanics rates...129.95$/hr + tax. It's a 1½ hr job + parts.
    Marsh, Mine was fixed at an indy shop here in the states, replacement is hub assembly, and was $300 + tax

laser, did you give the second dealer a hint as to what it might be? The noise on mine was quite different then usual bearing noise and might have been tougher for first dealer ti figure out if they hadn't seen (heard) it before.