Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000 Dodge Dakota keeps stalling

monah1013monah1013 Member Posts: 2
edited September 2015 in Dodge
I have a 2000 Dodge Dakota v6 extended cab with some stalling problem I have had the catalytic converter cut off and filters change diagnostics was done there were no codes detected  I can be driving at a high speed on the expressway and it will just cut off, I keep rolling and put it in neutral crank it again and then put it back in drive most times it would just continue to go. I have had a coil replaced also.
Lately it will stall I will press the gas its like it is just not getting any gas at all it May pop back under the hood but have never backed fired I was thinking of changing the fuel pump are there any suggestions true kingdom tech said it was a ghost they don't have a clue I think they were just tired of me please help

Answers

• 93tracker5spd93tracker5spd Member Posts: 194
    Hello! I am not a dodge expert, but due to a little research was able to come up with this suggestion. Have the throttle control sensor checked. I am told that it is a prevalent cause of the symptoms you describe. Since you don't say; I have assumed that you have the 3.9L engine, but the test procedure I have copied and included below covers the 3.9L, 5.2L, 5.9L Dodge: Can't say this is the cause, but am told it is a good starting point. Good luck!

How the Throttle Position Sensor Works

The throttle position sensor's job is to measure the angle of the throttle. So here, in a nutshell, is how the throttle position sensor works when you crank and start your 3.9L, 5.2L, 5.9L Dodge:
    TPS wire identification

The fuel injection computer supplies 5 Volts and ground to the throttle position sensor.
    5 Volts is provided by the wire labeled with the number 3.
    Ground is provided by the wire labeled with the number 1.
    Now, since the throttle is closed... the TPS (with power and ground supplied) sends the PCM (Powertrain Control Module=Fuel Injection Computer) a DC voltage signal of about .3 to .9 Volt. This value is what the PCM associates with a closed throttle.
    The TP signal is sent to the PCM by the wire labeled with the number 2.
    Once you throw your Dodge vehicle in drive and accelerate the car, the throttle opens and the throttle position sensor immediately sends this change of the throttle angle as an INCREASING voltage signal to the PCM.
    With this increasing voltage signal, the PCM knows its time to inject more fuel, advance ignition timing, and a host of other things it has to do to keep your 3.9L, 5.2L, 5.9L Dodge running optimally.
    As you let go off the accelerator pedal to slow down, the throttle plate closes and of course the TP sensor sends the info to the PCM as it returns to its base voltage signal, till the whole cycle begins again.

Pretty easy stuff? The cool thing is that the tests to check out the TP sensor's performance are as easy too. Since testing the TPS simply involves making sure that the sensor is creating a throttle angle voltage signal (which can be verified with a multimeter in Volts DC mode).

If the TP sensor is not creating a voltage signal, then the next steps are to make sure that it's getting power and ground from the PCM. These two things you can also verify with your multimeter.

IMPORTANT: Since you'll be working in the engine compartment take all necessary safety precautions and use common sense.
  • monah1013monah1013 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you I will forward this to my mechanic he changed the fuel pump it gave it a lot more pick up but it still stands slightly and shuts off less there is still something wrong I will have this checked next.
  • 93tracker5spd93tracker5spd Member Posts: 194
    Your welcome and Good luck!
  • elviswashere88elviswashere88 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 95 dodge Dakota sport v6. I'm really good with truck repairs but this has me stumped. It blows white smoke while running n will go down the road for twenty mins just fine then will start running really rough n die n won't restart for a while. Also my oil smells like gasoline. Recently changed fuel pump n entire wire harness because it burnt.   Any ideas?
    Also I just put a new harmonic balancer
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Did you check the dipstick oil level? Is it much higher than usual?
    No its at the right level