Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Vehicle for Elderly/Limited Mobility Drivers

Comments

• crkeehncrkeehn Posts: 513
    Please come back and let us know what they decided.
  • The purchase has been put on hold for now, as my father just had knee replacement surgery about 10 days ago. I would not expect anything to happen for a month or so right now.

Based upon the miles they drive, we will probably go used car route, as depreciation expense would be pretty steep on something driven only 5-7 k miles a year.

I have seen a lot of Gran Marquis with low miles for good prices, as well as low mileage PT Cruisers. We shall see.
  • Not entirely because of the vehicle, but partially because the dealership owners go to their church, and the Honda dealership is the closest to their house. It is a certified used car with 18,000 miles. It is my parents first non-Ford since a 63 Impala convertible, and a 76 Monte Carlo; needless to say their first foreign car. They are donating their 93 Taurus to charity.

My mother also tested the Pontiac Vibe, Saturn VUE, and I tested a Ford Escape Limited with them. I liked the Escape much better (faster, more comfortable, better looking, and a much better price), but the CRV sits lower to the ground, and with them driving only 5-6,000 miles a year, it should work out okay. I do have to say that here in Columbus, OH, CRV's sell very quickly, and the dealerships all had very few in stock, except for the ones not prepped for delivery.
  • clarkjvclarkjv Posts: 1
    I am caregiver for my 90 year old parents. When I take them anywhere I have to pack a wheelchair and walker in the trunk. I am ready to buy a new sedan (no SUV -they can't step up into one) and am looking for one with lots of trunk space and backseat leg room. Any suggestions?
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    What kind of price range are we talking here? Maybach has plenty of space, but it costs north of $300 grand.
  • slorenzenslorenzen Posts: 273
    across the street, retired and about the same age as your parents(90?), sold their Cadillac sedan and bought a GM mivivan(Silouette?), because it was way easier to get in and out.
  • ghuletghulet Posts: 2,628
    ...have you tried a small wagon, like a Pontiac Vibe or Toyota Matrix? Either that or a large sedan, maybe a Ford Crown Vic or Mercury Grand Marquis (largest trunks in the industry)? You can get any of them for ~$20k.
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 924
    I'd suggest a small minivan like the Mazda MPV. When my mother became disabled, she could easily get into a minivan (but not SUV or sedan. You can back up to them and just sit down as the seats are higher than sedans, but no step-up like SUVs. And they have lots of space for equipment such as wheelchairs. You can probably get a 1-0r 2 year old one for less than $20 grand.

That being said, the trunk space of the Le Sabre is huge for a sedan.
  • New Ford Freestyle, Lexus RX330, Toyota Highlander, etc. with automatic transmissions are really nice.
    My father-in-law, age 75, had a knee replacement. He likes the ease of access in his Highlander, as it is much higher than a car, but lower than truck-based SUV's. Lots of space, decent mileage, and flip-up seats for grandchildren.
    Worst are any kind of lowered sports or performance car. I drive a BMW 330i. A partially disabled coworker struggles getting in and out when I give him rides as my seating is so low.
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    Unarchived on request
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,046
    The LeSabres that are left have bench seats and those are very comfortable. The Limited power seat for the driver has an exit button and the seat moves back to a preset position for entry and exit then a button moves it forward to a preset position for two different drives. The Lucerne and LaCrosse should have the same type of wider opening door, in my opinion, making them a replacement for LaSabre and ParkAvenue.
  • falcononefalconone Posts: 1,726
    Believe it or not, I think a Scion b would be good for seniors. Plenty of room to stow a wheelchair (rear seats down). They don't have to crouch too much to get into the car. There is ample head room and rear seating is nice if they have elderly guests.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    How about a Mercury Montego or Ford Five Hundred? Class leading trunk space (or so the ads say) and it seems to be easy to get in and out of.
  • The toyota Camry is a good old peoples car.
  • jefferygjefferyg Posts: 418
    I think something along the lines of a Ford Freestyle or a minivan is the best vehicle for elderly people. You don't have to climb up to get in like many SUVs and they are not so low to the ground like many sedans.

Most minivans also offer automatic doors and rear liftgate which could prove invaluable for elderly car buyers.
    I also know several seniors who drive small pickups. Again, they like the ease of getting in and out.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Just as an FYI...

Miata: 13" (talk about low)
    Legacy 2.5i sedan: 17.5"
    Impreza RS sedan: 20"
    Outback XT: 22"
    Tribeca: 26"

I recommend the Outback because you don't really have to climb up, yet it's not too low either. My Forester is slightly higher, though I have not measured. Both are pretty easy to climb in and out of.

Exception - the rear door of the Forester is too narrow, so getting in the back seat is not as easy.

I hope someone finds this information useful.

-juice
  • rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    I read that about 2 weeks ago somewhere. (I think on GMtv) Well it was on Limited Mobility and GM got an award. ;)

Rocky
  • I am 6'1", 240lbs with a spinal fusion and a few other mobiity problems. I have been driving minivans and SUVs for the last ten years but would really like a sedan. The ford 500 is perfect, but I do not want to buy a ford.
    Does anyone know of another sedan that has the high seating and headroom of the ford 500? The boomers are getting older and less mobile. The manufacturers should be planning for this market
  • mirthmirth Posts: 1,212
    ...buy the 500? If you're worried about repairs you can just add an extended warranty (although Ford recently expanded their powertrain warranty to 5yr/60K miles with free roadside assistance).

Honestly, I can't think of another sedan that has the same seating height advantage.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Try an Avalon, maybe? Aren't those seats at least slightly higher than normal?

-juice