Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

CVT transmission problems

mtommyvmtommyv Member Posts: 4
edited September 2015 in Subaru
I have a Subaru 2012 2.5i Outback with cvt transmission. The car has close to 60000 miles. For the last year when the car changes gears at mph over 20 sometimes there is a short screeching noise. It happens at different speeds over 20mph. Because it is intermitant I have not pursued it with the dealer. But now I am approaching the 60,000 cvt guarantee and I took it to the dealer. They test drove it and could not get the screeching noise to appear. I told them it happens more when it is wet and cold outside. I do not know what to do.
mtommyv

Answers

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Could you get someone to record and date stampt the incident with a video camera? The dealer can't really pursue a warranty claim if the problem doesn't occur while in their possession. AT the very least you'd want the dealer to record your complaint on a repair order, even if they don't find anything. A written record might help if something occurs after your warranty period.

Have you checked fluid levels and all that?
  • mtommyvmtommyv Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for your comments. I did take the vehicle to dealer before 60000 mi. warranty ended. They did check fluid and externally but could not find problem. I am wondering if the cvt band could slip and produce the screeching noise. I will record the intermittent problem and talk to the dealer again.
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    Are you sure it is the cvt? What about the alternator belt drive? Cold and wet makes belts more apt to slip.
    saedave,
    The dealer seemed to rule out a belt problem such as timing belt or main belt.
    Tom
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,705
    edited September 2015
    Here's my problem - the transmission doesn't 'change gears', it's constantly engaged. Wet + cold = serpentine belt. Cheap to replace, I'd do it. There's also an idler pulley for the serpentine belt, I'd replace it too.
    Texases,
    Your right the CVT doesn't change gears. However in the Subaru you can move shift bar to left (manual) while driving and see as you increase speed the gear numbers change from 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 to 5 to 6. You need to move the shift bar right (out of manual) and left (back into manual) to allow the different shifts to occur. When in cruise speeds that do not cause much acceleration but the gear shifts from 4 to 5 or 5 to 6 then it appears to shift hard rather than smooth and sometimes produce the shot screech noise. The short screech noise does not appear in lower gears where you have greater acceleration. The dealer did not think it was the serpentine belt.
    Thanks for your comment - mtommyv
  • keithlacykeithlacy Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2018
    I test drove a 2012 Suzuki Kizashi today which has a CVT transmission and  noticed that when I put it in drive and reverse it had a double clunk versus a traditional transmission which will only do one clunk.  My question to anyone is this: does it do a double clunk because of the CVT transmission ?