Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005 Jaguar X-Type Sport Wagon

Comments

• steven2steven2 Posts: 37
    Jaguar cannot really "match-up" against Mercedes, BMW, or Audi. The XJ and XK are premium high-end cars, and the new XJ's are supposedly pretty good ultra luxury sedans. The X-type is being bought by people who want the name Jaguar but not a high price. The S type- where does it fit in? I don't really see how it can compete with a A6 or 5 series.

By the way, Jags arent that great. Has anyone noticed the Xtype is just a Ford Taurus? Jags don't get great reviews, and reliability has been poor since introduction of Jaguar WAY back.
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Posts: 1,722
    Could you please explain how an X-type is a Ford Taurus? Also, I see a lot more S-types on the road than A6's here that's for sure. As far as "The X-type is being bought by people who want the name Jaguar but not a high price.", could not the exact same be said of the C-class or 3-series?

Really your post would have been more appropriate on the "luxury marques" topic. sysop "High End Luxury Marques" Mar 28, 2004 11:27pm
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    Umm, no. It's built on the current generation Ford Mondeo platform (sold in Europe, not the in the states). Reliability of Jaguars today has little to do with reliability of Jags prior to the takeover by Ford.
  • steven2steven2 Posts: 37
    yes, if you break down charts of the reliability issues, you can find differences since the the takeover by ford, but overall you will have the same frequency of problems.

and in response to seminole key, the bmw 3 series has been acknowledged as a great car, just as worthy of being called a bmw as any of the other models. you have a point with the mb, though.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    looks nice, but sadly it'll never make it to the United States.
    "if you break down charts of the reliability issues, you can find differences since the the takeover by ford, but overall you will have the same frequency of problems"

I guess we've been looking at different charts. Jaguar reliability pre-ford was the pits. It's gotten dramatically better since then.
    in fact, I think Jaguar has been rated pretty well in the last few JD powers reports.
    aren't still as good as Infiniti, Lexus or Acura.
    you're being a bit dishonest when they are right with them in ratings. Seperated only by a few points. What, maybe 4-6 overall or somewhere abouts? Oh, why did you even include Acura there. They're not anywhere near an actual luxury company like Lexus, MB, Jag and Infiniti (well sort of on that one). Acura is just Honda's Mercury to its Ford).
    This kind of general talk would be more fitting here: sysop "High End Luxury Marques" Apr 4, 2004 1:27pm at the Luxury discussion. Still not sure why all this talk is here on a future vehicle, wagon that won't even be sold here in the US.
    that according to Consumer Reports (Hey, I'm just using another source) Jaguar cars fare much lower reliability wise than the similar competition from Lexus and that people think that a Jaguar isn't built as well as a Lexus. (well, some people)
  • bretaabretaa Posts: 130
    I'm somewhat late to this discussion, but I thought that...

General Jaguar Reliability: Much improved overall, especially since the Ford ownership. Owner satisfaction in the surveys has been high.

X-Type reliability: While decent and stable currently, the X-Type got a bad street quality rep during the first several months of production. Things apparently got much better after the 7/00 or 1/01 build models, I thought I had read. Even the most enthusiastic owners admit this. A Jaguar exec, I recently recall, said in an interview that the next X-Type will have to aim higher in this regard and do well from Job One.

- Bret
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,896
    seminole_kev, thanks for posting that link. Yes, let's leave this discussion for conversation about the (remote) possibility of the X-Type Estate being released in the U.S. I know that may kill this discussion, but let's not mix up the conversation about high-end luxury brands.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

"...I know that may kill this discussion..."
    I'm sure this discussion will be archived in no time flat.
    This probably will be a very slow topic, still would be nice to see it here though. The wagon market is starting to heat back up, so I think they'd still be able to sell enough here to justify importing them.
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    A new five-door sport wagon joins the Jaguar X-Type lineup later this year, the company said at the launch of its long-wheelbase XJ8 sedan. The X-Type Sport Wagon, Jaguar says, will come in one version that will be an all-wheel-drive model with the larger, 3.0-liter V6 and a five-speed automatic transmission. Jaguar's dealer council asked the company to bring the vehicle over at a reported price of about $35,000, according to Automotive News, to give the brand a competitor to the swelling ranks of small European wagons including the Audi A4 Avant, BMW 3 Series Touring and Benz C-Class wagon.
    now the discussion is back to life, thanks to Jaguar.
    anything new about the X-Type Wagon?
    has a little webpage about the upcoming X-Type sportwagon
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    An article about the Jaguaru X-Type Sport Wagon.
    Very few people are interested in the new X-Type Sportwagon.
  • kkearkkear Posts: 2
    I have a 1 year old X type 3.0. The overall build and engineering on the car is something to behold; but I've had a lot of interior trim pieces and bits warp, crack or fall off. Never had problems with either of my previous Mitsu 3000GT's. Jaguar claims to be on the right track with quality improvements, but these days, your car has to be perfect right from the start.

Hopefully, they'll get it right with the wagon.
    Jaguar has been known to have quality problems with X-Types.
  • jagwagjagwag Posts: 5
    I see that the last post was Feb. 05.
    I also just read that Jaguar came in 2nd in the most recent J.D. Power three month ownership survey. I'm considering buying the wagon, but am concerned about reliability. All of you out there - please advise.
    Thank you!!
  • I've put 27K on an 03 X-Type 2.5 Sedan. Have had no reliability problems to date. The car's built like a tank, and, I really like its foul weather capability. Best car for long trips that I've ever owned.

Regards:
    Oldengineer
    for some reason CR keeps giving it bad reviews. It seems like a decent car, although two years ago it was slightly overpriced...
  • I was considering buying Jag X type Wagon. The seats are the most uncomfortabe that I have ever tried. Has anyone else noticed the same? Is there adjustment on the seat to move the bottom side bolsters outward?
    I am not a big guy and am surprised/disappointed by the seats.
    Seems like this car isn't popular.

I still haven't seen one on the road yet, and its been out for almost a year now I think.
  • Can anyone tell me if the 2004-2006 Jaguar X-type comes with xenon lights without getting the sport package. On jaguarcars.com it only lists the xenons on sports packages.
    Thanks.