Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005 Jaguar X-Type Sport Wagon

Comments

• bretaabretaa Posts: 130
    robr2: I like the Audi/New Beetle analogy. Similarly, the Lexus ES330 is essentially a Camry with modifications and the entire Infiniti lineup shares platform pieces with the Altima and 350Z platform. Audis share extensively with VW. I've always felt that Jaguar has been held to somewhat of a double (higher?) standard here. As far as I'm concerned, if it is a fantastic product, who cares that it shares wiring or bolts with another product in the corporate hemisphere?

- Bret
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    if you like the car and can justify why you're going to buy it, then you can buy whatever you want.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Too bad the X isnt a fantastic product. I do think it is extremely seductively styled. Reference the last place finish in Car and Driver this month, despite a drastic price reduction. Even so, I am so enamored of this cars looks I WOULD consider a certified used one, IF THE CAR was reliable. Like most Jags, its not.

~alpha
  • bretaabretaa Posts: 130
    I wasn't necessarily calling the X fantastic, I was just saying in general that if a product is worthy and can justify its cost, who cares what is underneath?

I don't think the X is a bad car at all. I was looking at them recently (used) in my own car buying decision. The car is comfortable, goes, stops, and drives very pleasantly. It's main problem is that its competitors are just so good that it doesn't *feel* overall as good as some of them. The price point has also been very high for this car as well, which Jaguar is now correcting. Quality, too, has been a sore point, unfortunately...

- Bret
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,611
    Has the X type been unreliable? I don't know.

As for the C&D comparison, even they say that the X type does best when driven in the manner for which it was tuned: grand tourer. They feel the X type can run with some of the others - it just doesn't like it. I concur. IMHO the X type is more of a genteel cruiser with the capability to run at 5-6/10ths as opposed to a true sports sedan.
    sadly is unreliable. Otherwise, it'd be a better competitor when reliability means everything.
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    I had a GTI. Why would I buy a TT? it's the same car, except it costs more, and has less room?
    and the X-Type is that you can't buy the cheaper Mondeo here. You have to spring for the fully loaded X-Type.
  • Strange, C&D website says Europe and Canada get the wagon, not the US. Saying even BMW might dop the 3 series wagon because we have the X3 and X5. Funny, who's buying these overpriced SUV's? The X3's been getting bad reviews on ride quality for $35K.
  • steven2steven2 Posts: 37
    Jaguar cannot really "match-up" against Mercedes, BMW, or Audi. The XJ and XK are premium high-end cars, and the new XJ's are supposedly pretty good ultra luxury sedans. The X-type is being bought by people who want the name Jaguar but not a high price. The S type- where does it fit in? I don't really see how it can compete with a A6 or 5 series.

By the way, Jags arent that great. Has anyone noticed the Xtype is just a Ford Taurus? Jags don't get great reviews, and reliability has been poor since introduction of Jaguar WAY back.
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Posts: 1,722
    Could you please explain how an X-type is a Ford Taurus? Also, I see a lot more S-types on the road than A6's here that's for sure. As far as "The X-type is being bought by people who want the name Jaguar but not a high price.", could not the exact same be said of the C-class or 3-series?

Really your post would have been more appropriate on the "luxury marques" topic. sysop "High End Luxury Marques" Mar 28, 2004 11:27pm
    Umm, no. It's built on the current generation Ford Mondeo platform (sold in Europe, not the in the states). Reliability of Jaguars today has little to do with reliability of Jags prior to the takeover by Ford.
  • steven2steven2 Posts: 37
    yes, if you break down charts of the reliability issues, you can find differences since the the takeover by ford, but overall you will have the same frequency of problems.

and in response to seminole key, the bmw 3 series has been acknowledged as a great car, just as worthy of being called a bmw as any of the other models. you have a point with the mb, though.
    looks nice, but sadly it'll never make it to the United States.
    "if you break down charts of the reliability issues, you can find differences since the the takeover by ford, but overall you will have the same frequency of problems"

I guess we've been looking at different charts. Jaguar reliability pre-ford was the pits. It's gotten dramatically better since then.
    in fact, I think Jaguar has been rated pretty well in the last few JD powers reports.
    aren't still as good as Infiniti, Lexus or Acura.
    you're being a bit dishonest when they are right with them in ratings. Seperated only by a few points. What, maybe 4-6 overall or somewhere abouts? Oh, why did you even include Acura there. They're not anywhere near an actual luxury company like Lexus, MB, Jag and Infiniti (well sort of on that one). Acura is just Honda's Mercury to its Ford).
    This kind of general talk would be more fitting here: sysop "High End Luxury Marques" Apr 4, 2004 1:27pm at the Luxury discussion. Still not sure why all this talk is here on a future vehicle, wagon that won't even be sold here in the US.