Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus GX 470

mcs19mcs19 Posts: 14
Does anyone know what changes are in store for the GX470 in 2004? I heard about a different rear suspension. Will this affect the 3rd row seating? Any chance the 3rd row seats will be modified so that there are foot wells under the seats instead of just sticking seats in the back so that Lexus can claim its got 3rd row seating?

Comments

• Saw a 2004 tonight and everything is the same.
  • lok888lok888 Posts: 1,749
    Is it a new option for 2004 GX470?
  • I actually saw the 2004 GX brochure briefly because the salesman was holding it pretty "tightly".
    However, I was able to read with my own eyes about the fancy new "Dynamic suspension system" which the salesman told me would make the GX even a better off-road vehicle and smoother too.

He actually got a list of changes in his hands and it was the exact same 5 posted by someone on the GX forum:

1)back-up camera
    2)new Dynamic Suspension system
    3)Roll-over sensor
    4)tire pressure sensor
    5)gross weight increase to above 6000lbs

Nothing mentioned about changes to that sorry poor-excuse-for-a-3rd row seat.

No mention of HID headlights or that new fancy new headlight system in the RX330 that turns as the car turns.

Oh, by the way, the voice recognition of the NAV is pretty primitive. The technology is apparently not all there.

No other changes.
  • JPhamJPham Posts: 148
    I was going off of an internal memo that made no mention of such changes.
    I have the brochure in my grubby hands right now
    and noticed the same 5 changes posted above (in small print it says "available in November 2003")
    I saw the 2004 price (base model) is about $200 more than 2003 model from Kelly Blue Book website. And no big price increase on options. One dealer (in MA) told they presold all of their 2004 silver pine and has to allocate at the end of September or early October. It could be the best time for a best deal on 2003 models.
  • Just got a call from my lexus dealer. He said he just finished a meeting with the district rep. September builds on the 2004 version will have GSVW of 6150lbs.(I will believe it when I see it). November builds will have KDSS as an option and the back-up camera will be included in the ML/NAV option. It looks like with the builds in Sept. & Nov. and shipping time we will be up against the tax wall to qualify for the 179 deduction in 2003. I hope this info helps.
  • bjoyebjoye Posts: 35
    rjmespn,
    Did your dealer have any idea what the actual ETA of those models might be? I think I'd like to have the KDSS, but not at the expense of missing the year end tax deadline. I can wait as close to December 31st as necessary, but I won't miss it.
  • bjoye
    The dealer would not be specific on the KDSS option, only that it would be offered starting with the November builds. He advised me to get an order in if I wanted KDSS so he could get a VIN# assigned and then we could get an idea of a arrival date. Remember, they are built in Japan (slow boat to U.S.) I think Lexus is missing the boat with the bits of information pipeline. I need hard dates and accurate information to make a 50K decision not the BS we have been getting. I would have a plan B ready. I will not miss the deduction this year either.I would bet it will be re worked by next year like 8000 to qualify. The one good thing is the government works slow, kinda like the Lexus information pipeline...
  • I just got off the phone with Lexus. The lady said Japan will start producing the GX's with the KDSS in November and start arriving late January 04 in the US. She said Lexus gets weekly requests from the dealers and produces to meet that need. Lexus tries not to over-produce, leaving a lot of excess on the dealers' lots. She also mentioned if I wanted a specific and not typical order of options (like a GX without the roof rack), it would take up to 4 months for Japan to make and ship it here. Apparently, Lexus does the majority of option installations at the factory versus a regional facility or dealership.

I asked about plans to offer the xenon headlights in 04. Unfortunately, she said Lexus has no plans to do that for the 04 model. But, if customers complained and/or requested xenons, then Lexus would offer the option next year. (Hint! Hint! People.)

Lastly, I asked about the optional alloy wheels shown on Lexus.com under GX Accessories. The 10-spoke rim looks great, but, by mistake, it is not being offered for the GX as a Lexus-installed option...got to talk to the dealership to do an aftermarket add-on...bummer!
  • Visited lexus dealer today, picked up 04 brochure which states that KDSS, Tire Pressure Monitor System, Rear View Backup Camera and Roll Sensing System would all be available Nov.03. So, I ordered a GX with EVERYTHING on it(including the kitchen sink) for $2K over dealer invoice. Said I should have it by late Nov. or early Dec., maybe earlier since lexus usually produced a little earlier than what they say. Ready for a new wrinkle? Dealer said that an enhanced NAV system would be offered in Jan 04 that was FAR superior to existing one-----well worth the wait. I got the impression it was the same one they put in the new LS400.
  • How did you get that kind of deal?
    $2K over invoice on a fully loaded GX means at least $6K off MSRP. That is great. You should be very happy with that deal!
    And it's even a hot 2004 model with all the upgrades!
    redhawk, please tell us which part of the country you're in and how you negotiated such a great deal on a new model. So are you getting the KDSS, camera and all those new features? And they think you'll get it before year end?

I'd love to know, because if you can get all those before year end by placing an order now, then I'll head to the Lexus dealership this weekend.
  • i just purchased a 2004 GX470 with everything (rear entertainment, nav system w/Levison, 3rd row seat,tow package, cargo net, spoiler) for $48,700 through lexusus.com. I had done a lot of internet shopping and talking with a couple of local dealers here in San Diego and they were $1,000 off anyone else and $3,000 off MSRP. They located the car at a dealership just north of me (75 miles) but will deliver it to my work. The complaint I have is most of the sales people were telling me that you basiclly have to take 2 or 3 of the packages if you don't want to wait several months for your car. I wouldn't have bought the nav system but for the price I think I got a good deal.
  • So they brought it to your work and you got to test drive it before buying it or did you buy it first and then they drove it to your work?
    I guess you got about $4K off MSRP, which is a pretty good deal on a 2004.
    Oh, you will be very glad you got the NAV.
    After you spoil yourself using the NAV, you will love it forever.
  • just bought it. they'll deliver it next monday. test drove one at a dealership.
    I just emailed my local dealer for a quote on an '04 GX, hopefully with the new options and hopefully with the new (higher) GVWR, here's his reply:

"The GX 470 that you have outlined in your e-mail, Kinetic Suspension, Tire Pressure Monitor, and Roll-Sensing Airbags, will not begin production until December of this year. This means that we will not see them until sometime in January or February. And this vehicle will be the first series to qualify for the over 6,000 pound gross vehicle weight. The 2004's that we have received so far still do not qualify."

Has ANYONE EVER seen a GX with a GVWR>6000 as of this date? If they can't get one buy the end of the year, I'll be buying something else. No choice.
  • bjoye: The salesman might be blowing smoke. I was over at my local lexus dealer this week and he showed me the lexus generated e-mail that stated the GX470 September builds that have a 9700B code will be 6150 GSVW. Rear camera will be part of the Nav option and be on November builds. Lexus is very slow in communicating this information. I guess until all of the 03's are gone they don't want to inform us. I have a 6150 GSVW GX arriving the second week in October. I hope the sticker is right or my purchase is on hold.
  • i looked at an '03 GX and the dealer was saying this car qualified as being over 6,000 lbs, citing it as a selling point. but the place was swamped and i never got a chance to ask how this worked as a tax advantage. can someone please explain it?
    Is this an option or part of the package? Is this first in the automobile industry. I think this a good item to have. How the system can detect if the roll rover is just about to happen?