Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus GX 470

Comments

• jasp615jasp615 Posts: 10
    I think I'm going to go for it. If I don't like it I will dump it like I did the 05 Escalade. I'm not sure about down sizing but I think in time we will all have to consider this. The days of towing a boat are over for now. Been there done that. I want a nice ride. What I came to realize is the Escalade look good on the outside. The Gx looks good on the inside and after all why should I pay money so others can enjoy. I can't see the grill of the Escalade but I can enjoy the interior of the GX. I'm getting out of an Escalade without too much damage but taking a 27,000.00 hit hurts. This time I'm trying to see what will hold the real value and a solid truck. I'm also getting off of this rollercoaster of buy a new truck every 2 or 3 yrs. I'm going to try to hold on to this truck for a bit. Hopefully I will continue to enjoy it. As for dropping the ball. Try driving an Escalade and paying 63,000 for it. It's a bunch of warped plastic and unfinished touches. Then people want to know why we are going to forgien cars/trucks

Sami
  • blov8rblov8r Posts: 567
    Try driving an Escalade and paying 63,000 for it. It's a bunch of warped plastic and unfinished touches. Then people want to know why we are going to forgien cars/trucks

Point well taken re: "unfinished touches". I never felt that way at all about my Navigator, and when I'm in an airport and count the Lincoln limos v. the Caddy limos it's obvious who makes a better product. We were in London a couple of summers ago ... and the limos there were BMW 7-series. I asked one driver why ... with Jag being the homemade product ... they drive Bimmers especially since they're not great fans of the Germans. His answer was telling ... because they don't break down! Same answer from a Lincoln limo driver here (v. Caddy).

You'll enjoy the GX more than the Escalade ... although for certain I'd never want to tow a boat on the highway with it. It's steady as an anvil except at high speeds and in windy conditions but for "routine" use and overall comfort and pleasure it's first rate. Would I buy another one? NO, for the reasons initially stated. Would I dump it for those reasons? No. It's not an issue unless taking long high-speed trips and we seldom do that. :)
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    Have you looked at the new Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade? The interior is supposed to be much improved over the previous model.
    I have driven SUV since 1983 (15 in all) and have driven Full size Fords,Chevy,GMC,Cadillac. The last two were Cadillac's and I won't ever buy another one. The finish is just not there nor is the ride I think the Lexus has it all over the American made cars/trucks. I have checked the new Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade and I just wasn't happy with them. First of all the new Excalade has a 6.2 liter engine in it which I bet in a year won't be holding their value too much. Hey for that fact I'm trading in a 2005 and taking a killing on it and My White Diamond is in mint condition with 11,000 miles on it loaded to the max. I have never lost so much money on any vehicle in my life. I ordered the 06 GX and I'm hoping I can adapt to it being smaller. What it comes down to we need a truck but I'm tired of paying for the gas that this bid dog uses. Why anyone would put a 6.2 liter engine in a truck when the gas is going threw the roof is beyond me.

Sami
  • bobbio56bobbio56 Posts: 37
    ">been near 100 last few days....I notice the engine makes a racing sound and seems a bit lethargic off the line...called lexus dealer (which I think is not that good) and SM says it is extra fans?....anyone else noticing this?

Also, without recirculate on AC seems pretty weak over 90F

Please let me know your thoughts/experiences - i have
    an '04 loaded with 24k....

THANKS!!!!
  • cdfwifecdfwife Posts: 37
    I am almost embarrassed to ask, but, can I plug in an ipod into my audio system? I figure it is time to get with the new technology. Is this as easy as I hope it is? And when I say easy, you are looking at someone who has never once operated the nav or the dvd system, so go easy on me.

On another note, happy to say the brake clunk is truly fixed. I did break down and use the premium gas in the GX, but it did not make a bit of difference (for me) and it did not increase my mileage.
    I'm afraid that you won't get great gas mileage from the GX470. My 2003 4WD V8 4Runner is basically the same truck as the GX470 (same frame, powertrain, and undercarriage). I get 15 to 19.5 mpg. Overall, combined highway and suburban driving, I get about 17 mpg.
    At lease I will get better gas mileage then I'm getting with the Escalade. Right now I'm getting 11 miles to the gallon. The truck is smaller then what we have now but I can't see us going much smaller. I'm really hoping that it's not too small for us. I guess I will know the end of Aug when we get it.

Sami
    It should be better than 11, but don't be surprised if it is in the 15 mpg range in the city.
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    Lexus will introduce the 2008 Lexus JX350/460 arouind this time next year, to compete with BMW X5, Infiniti FX, and Cadillac SRX.

(Read: Lexus HPX Concept Vehicle from 2004 Auto Show circuit)

116" Wheelbase, Length 194"

Thank You, Lexus! :D

DrFill
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    Where did you read this, Doc?
  • major7major7 Posts: 31
    Does anyone know what features will be added to the 2007 GX 470 for this fall? ..Bob
  • I'm looking for any information on the new 2007 GX 470. Release date, new colors, pricing? I haven't been able to find anyone to help me with this information. I'm ready to make a decision on the GX 470 but I would really like to know when the new models will be released before I pull the trigger.
  • sma3sma3 Posts: 28
    Its kind of disappointing....

According to an editor over at clublexus...

Exterior:
    Carryover

Interior:
    • Available enhanced Rear Seat Entertainment System (larger 9” screen)
    • Available Mark Levinson® DVD Premium Audio System
    • Available upgraded Nav. system (fifth generation) with Bluetooth®, voice activation and rear back-up camera
    • MP3/iPod® audio input plug

Mechanical:
    Carryover

...and supposedly, no color changes, no wheel changes. I wished the Sport Package could be had with the brown wood interior trim (since almost impossible to order the KDSS-as a stand-alone option, getting to keep the brown wood trim).
  • cwilbscwilbs Posts: 14
    Does anyone see a difference in the two rides? Comfort or sport ride setting? I'm not sure if its my imagination or what but I do see a big difference in the Gx. When I had my 2000 Lx not so much
  • sma3sma3 Posts: 28
    http://www.lexus.com/lexusConfigApp/pub/setStartOptions.do
    lets you choose GX 470, then you can pick either 2006 or 2007. A couple things I noticed in my comparison (zip is in South Florida; Note, the Sport Package is still not offered in my area but the black wood trim seems to be available now without the Sport package for some colors):

1) No MSRP increase (still $46,635 + 695 destination)
    2) In my area, there are now 10 packages being offered instead of 20.
    3) 2 identical 2006 packages with Nav are now about $200 more in my area for 2007.
    4) 3 identical 2006 packages with Nav & RSES are now about $300 more in my area for 2007.
    5) As stated before, same 7 exterior colors, but...
    6) (again... no Sport Package offered in my area, but) These colors allowed me to choose interior colors with the black birds-eye maple trim: Titanium Metallic, Ash Blue Mica, and Black Onyx (not sure if this is a mistake or what).
    7) On the Accessories page (page 4), there is now an item called "17-inch Six-Spoke Alloy Wheels"

So to summarize, no price increase, but some of the more popular packages seem to have a $200-$300 price increase and there might be a way to get the black wood trim on some colors without the Sport Package (what I really wanted was the Sport Pkg available with the brown wood since stand-alond KDSS is so difficult to get).
  • jasp2jasp2 Posts: 2
    Hi I'm waiting on my 2006 GX470 it should be in this Monday or Tuesday. In the 2006 I'm already getting the Mark Levinson® DVD Premium Audio System
    • Available upgraded Nav. system (fifth generation) with Bluetooth®, voice activation and rear back-up camera Maybe it's because it's a late 2006. I'm not sure of the others. All I know is this is as loaded as one can get including the lexus link.
    My 2006 GX 470 is completely loaded too....just got it about a month ago. Lexus Link etc. The DVD system is not something I really cared about since my kids are in college now and not as likely to watch it in the backseat but since it was there i have it. I wonder how much longer into 2006 they will keep having them available till the 2007 comes out. What color is yours Jasp2?
  • guestguest Posts: 774
    Hi there, Do you like the truck? What type of vechile did you come from? I got the Savannah Met. w/Ivory Interior. I got the pkg that has everything in it as for the rear DVD I had to get that in order to get the lexus link. They don't let you pick and chose like the American made cars. I have an 05 Escalade right now with On Star but I was tired of all the unfinished details on a 65,000 truck (had an 03 and believe it or not it was better and had more on it that is not avaible in the 05) not to mention that after taking it on a trip to North Myrtle Beach (10 hour ride for us) we only got 12 miles to the gallon both ways. Now the only thing I can say nice about the truck is it really held the road and drove great but for that once a year ride it's not worth the rattles and lack of detail. We should get the new truck I think this Wednesday (Aug 30th) We are kinda nervous about the size after owning around 16 large trucks but I'm tried of throwing money out the window buying American made trucks (trade in value) and the service around me stinks for Cadillac (been to a couple of dealers)and even 15 miles to the gallon is much better then what we are getting since we will always have a truck.
    Sorry, I posted before I was actually done. I have always had excellent service from Lexus and you are right, you can't even begin to compare the quality between Lexus and the American made cars and trucks. The leather interior is really plush. Even with my 6 year old Lexus 470 LX it hardly had any rattles and other than normal wear it was still holding up great.I loved that SUV and I do miss it but like I said it was time for a change. I hope you can adjust to the smaller vehicle. You will appreciate the better gas mileage I'm sure.
    Be sure to post after you get your new GX 470 and let us know how you like it.
  • bobbio56bobbio56 Posts: 37
    When I went from the standard setting to the first sport setting I saw a major difference in cornering....the ride got a little stiffer, but it is worth it...I have the kinetic suspension and that helps alot...

How is your gx in hot weather? my seems to rev a lot from the stop light...but i do love it....
  • I recognize the fact that these two cars are not the same class of vehicle yet my wife and I have reduced our choices of our new car to the GX470 from Lexus and the GL450 from Mercedes. We have leased 2 MLs in the past 6 years and have had no problems with either of them. This time around we wanted a third-row seat so after much debate we settled on these two. I have driven both extensively and am currently negotiating deals on both, but we can't decide!!
    Here are the things that are important to us:
    GL:
    More Power than GX
    More luxurious than GX
    Better handling than GX
    Power folding mirrors (not avail on GX)
    Integrated sattelite radio (only available as a separate unit on GX)
    Power folding third-row seat (goofy third-row in GX)

GX:
    Not as large as GL (12 inches shorter)
    Rear-seat entertainment (also available in GL but for more $$)
    Integrated Bluetooth (separate and expensive add-on on GL)

The difference in price is about $100/mo on a 3 year lease.

Should we get the Lexus and spend less money while still getting a nice vehicle ($1,000 over invoice), or should we go with the GL for only $100 more per month (selling below invoice - end of month deal)?
    Have you considered the Audi Q7 or the new-generation 2007 MDX?
  • Yes we have considered ALL options and are down to these two.
    I haven't yet test driven either of the ones you are considering, as I won't be buying until Dec. But I do know that the GX has a serious problem with body roll, unless you get it with KDSS. Whereas the GL is from the same factory that builds the ML and R, which have poor reliability stats.
    It's funny that you mentioned this. I drive an 05 Escalade up until Tuesday when my new truck came in and we traded in the Escalade for a GX470. In this time when we made a choice to get rid of the Caddy we looked at the GL and I wasn't impressed at all. I think the Lexus with it's finishing touches and how it handles was so much better but that is just me. If you "need" the 3rd row sit then you don't really have a choice but I only wanted it in case of the rare moments that we many need to take one of my sons friends home or pick them up. Other then that we really didn't use it much (had that in the Caddy) As for the power folding mirrors I don't miss it (also had this in the caddy) I had XM radio and hardly used it if it's that important to you go to Best buys and pick up a moble unit. The bluetooth that is in the Lexus is something I didn't want to give up once I got a taste of it. In the end your the only one that can make this decission but for me the lexus was our choice. I have had 16 new full size SUV's in 23 yrs. I was a bit nervous getting such a small truck but after driving the GX I'm thrilled with it. Also think about it. If it's such a hot truck (GL) why would they be selling this below invoice when they just came out? Good luck with your choice. To me the 100 more a month for the lease just wasn't worth it but then again we buy we don't lease.

Sami
  • We have had two Mercedes MLs in the past and have had no quality issues at all. They have been great vehicles. I am not worried about the GL quality becaues of this past experience and since I am leasing (everything will be under warranty) and maintenance visits are not that inconvenient for us.

From a performance and handling perspective the GL is in a completely different league than the GX. This is extremely apparent if you test drive both along the same route. Step on the gas in the GL and it will push you back in the seat.

The folding mirors are something we use all of the time because our garage doors are a bit narrow. We also have satellite radio in our '04 Accord and use it all of the time.

At the end of the day its really not the individual options that I have to think about, its really do I want to spend more for a car that is worth more to me or spend less for the GX470 which is certainly more than adequate.

I can't lose either way .. there is no right or wrong answer but it has been helpful to talk through it.
    All I will say is go with your gut. We didn't when we bought the 05 Caddy trading in the 03. If I had I wouldn't have bought another one. For me the GX drives great. I'm happy. Money was not a problem with us so I could have had anything I wanted and I believe you could also so listen to your gut and enjoy your new truck. If you make a mistake then in 3 yrs you can change it. Every car/truck has their strong points and there are many to choose from. For each person what they want or need is different that's why it's hard for anyone to tell you what is best.
  • Has anyone installed the XM satellite receive and adaptor. The claim is that this device integrates with the existing GX system (display, steering wheel radio controls, etc).

Terk XMDirect Universal XM Satellite Radio
    SoundLinQ (Model SLX) - Auxiliary Input Adapter

These two devices also give you the ability to integrate your ipod into your vehicle.
  • The 2007 Brochure indicates XM as an available option, but so far, no one has been able to confirm that it really will integrate into the voice-response system. I found it strange that satellite radio has been available on Lexus SUVs smaller and larger than the GX470, but not on it.