Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oil change/fiascos

1383940414244»

Comments

• wtd44:

Could you help me by letting me know where to get a drain plug repair/replacement kit for my car 2001 Mazda Tribute V6 DX (the plug size
    is 12 (hole) 1.75 (thread) as it was told) Mine was tripped by the FIRESTONE
    tech while doing oil change for me (i did do the oil change in one store few
    years for my car - now they made mistake and did nothing about that by
    saying wear and tear as my oil pan is aluminum so the thread is worn out.
    I knew previously the tech did over-torqued (sp?)/overtighten it)

If the thread is able to fix without changing oil pan, it is much appreciated.
    Also if anyone know how to send a complaint to FIRESTONE head quarter,
    please let me know.

Thank in advance
  • srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    They make an expansion-type oil pan drain plug. It's a bolt/nut/washer combination that sandwiches a piece of rubber between them. You put the bolt & rubber piece (one assembly) into the drain hole and just tighten up on the exposed nut. That draws up the washer on the inside of the ribber piece, which then expands the rubber and seals the hole.

Kind of hokey, but it works.
  • Whenever I read forums on oil changes, I never hear anyone mention the other important thing after changing your oil when it is warm; priming the oil filter. More damage is done to an engine in that first 15 seconds that an engine is started after an oil change. All that fresh oil is sitting in the crankcase, waiting to be drawn into the pump. When that engine is cranked, all the crankshaft journals, all the springs, valves, camshafts and other parts that need to stay lubricated are dry! Those few seconds of dry turning are destroying those bearings. Always remember to take a few minutes to pour oil into the filter first. Since the filter has a back-flow stopper, you need to pour a little, let it fill, pour some more, let it fill, ect. Most filters will take up to a half a quart in them. Since that is done, now oil can get to the pump almost immediately, since the filter is usually the closest thing to the oil pump. When re-installing the filter, turn until you can feel the o-ring touching the filter, then turn it just about 1/8th of a turn more. You don't want the filter too tight. Finally, if the car has a turbocharger, it is important after driving it to let it idle for a minute to give the oil a chance to continue to lube the turbo as the blades slow down. This isn't a problem in a supercharger, because it runs on crankshaft motion.
  • srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    Good advice. But that doesn't work if your filter is mounted sideways or even further past horizontal.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Letting a turbocharged engine idle for a minute prior to shutdown is simply a waste of fuel in 99% of the cases. That said, if you've been blasting down the highway at high speeds and quickly stop in for a tank of gas, then yes, letting the engine idle for thirty seconds or so is a very good idea.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,356
    that's my read on modern turbos...just ignore cool down unless you have just come off a freeway ramp at 80 mph in 100 degree heat...in other words, extreme situations.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!