Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Importing Car into Canada from US

Comments

• Options
    tri_bikertri_biker Member Posts: 35
    netdog,

Thanks for the message. I am trying to get through to RIV and discuss this, along with Transport Canada. If Toyota won't furnish me a letter and RIV / Transport Canada forces me to prove it qualifies, what am I to do? The bureaucracy is almost as appalling as the anti-competitive tactics of the manufacturers!
  • Options
    all4onecanall4onecan Member Posts: 5
    I am trying to import a 2008 Lexus RX350.
    In Lexus website in Canada www.lexus.ca. The fuel consumption list as 12.4/9 L/100km or 23/31 mpg
    But In Lexus website in US www.lexus.com. The fuel consumption is listed as 17/21 mpg which is 13.9 L/100km
    Based on America number, I have to $1000 green levy at the border.

I call Lexus US and ask for clarification. They told me 2008 brand new is not admissible and fuel consumption is based on US model.

Can anyone please let me know if I get charged for green levy or not?

Thanks
  • Options
    dayfutdayfut Member Posts: 11
    I HOPE THIS IS TRUE.

I was about to call my dealership today and cancel my transaction/refund my deposit, but I guess I will hold out for a few more days. *fingers crossed*
  • Options
    volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    The US EPA revised all their fuel consumption figures downward for 2008.
    This is due to a more realistic testing regimen.

I would assume that the Canadians would use their own figures to assess a tax.
  • Options
    netdognetdog Member Posts: 66
    RIV also mentioned that if you purchased your vehicle at a time when the vehicle was deemed admissible (i.e. prior to the recent changes) that you should not have a problem at customs, although the person I spoke with did not seem certain about that. She was certain however that if your bill of sale was dated prior to Sept 1 even though the vehicle may have been manufactured after Sept 1 that you would be fine. Some dealers may be able to help you with that ;). Either way, you will need to present evidence of that when you cross over. Our best bet of course, is to cross our fingers and hope that RIV fixes the list some time soon.

netdog
  • Options
    crazy_canuckcrazy_canuck Member Posts: 9
    I found this hilarious. The Canadian Vehicle Manufacturers' Association has a full page ad in today's La Presse (I'm assuming they are running the same in other daily papers across Canada) lobbying against provincial fuel economy standards.

They say that patchwork legislation will be too complicated and are arguing for -- get this -- North America-wide standards, in order to keep consumer costs low.

It's an understatement to say their recent actions are not in line with promoting continent-wide standards, let alone keeping costs down for consumers!
  • Options
    veedub18tveedub18t Member Posts: 33
    VAFUS List has been revised today - Nov. 6, 2007.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importation/VAFUS/list/VAFUS.pdf
  • Options
    Heard a similar story from RIV today. They indicated that as long as I could prove I put my deposit down prior to the rules changing, that this would be OK. I made my decision to buy based on the October RIV listing. No mention was made of the bill needing to be prior to Sep 1.
  • Options
    carman23carman23 Member Posts: 11
    Anyone know exactly why the 2008 Tacomas and Tundras are not admissible???
  • Options
    mallettbrmallettbr Member Posts: 1
    I have been looking into purchasing a new Honda CRV or Toyota RAV4 in the US and importing it into Canada, but have been advised by US dealerships that the manufacturers will not permit dealers to sell to Canadians or will not honour the Warranty if the vehicle is shipped to Canada.
    Since Honda and Toyota are both multinational car manufacturers with Offices and Plants throughout the World including Canada and the US, is not such discrimination a violation of the rights of Canadians under the Canadian Charter of Rights?
  • Options
    kerussokerusso Member Posts: 24
    Being that this is an Excise tax, it would be Canada Customs who would collect this tax at the port of entry. I would call the CBSA @ 1-800-461-9999 to verify whether or not you will be charged this levy. Please let us know what they say!
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    that the CAD today is over 1.09 USD. The only thing the auto manufacturers haven't done is flat out ask Canadians to bend over.... :mad:
  • Options
    sergelbergeronsergelbergeron Member Posts: 138
    I have sent the message below to my MPG Lauzon, Minister Cannon, The Cornwall STandard Freeholder and the Ottawa Citizen. We'll see what happens.
    Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 6:26 PM
    Subject: Importing aToyota vehicle from the USA

Dear Mr Cannon and Mr G Lauzon, ,
    As you are certainly aware, TC maintains a list for vehicles admissible for import into Canada. The intention is to protect Canadians from importing vehicles that may be dangerous to Canadian and would not meet Canada's strict safety standards. Toyota vehicles have been on the approved import list since 1992. All Toyota ( except a few minor exceptions) years 1992 to 2007 have been approved and have shown a high degree of compliance.

This year Canadians are fed up with the great price difference in car prices in the US and Canada. So we are seeing an increased interest in purchasing a car in the USA and bringing it into Canada. I am one of those Canadians and I have purchased a new 2008 Toyota Prius ( the hybrid car) that was manufactured in Japan. The pricing in the US was $26,500 while in Canada I negotiated a price of $38,500. This is a big difference that I could not resist. As your colleage Minister Flaherty has said Canadians deserve a better deal. So I have bought a car but I cannot bring in it into Canada because the car is not on the RIV list. Transport Canada officials say they have not received the specifications and cannot allow it to be included on the list. The specs come from Toyota directly. So what is happening here is that Toyota is protecting its Canadian profits by not allowing the vehicle for import.

As you already know, most manufacturers have submitted the data. Ford, Nissan, BMW, Chrysler, VW and others have provided the info and the 2008 models are available for import. They understand the long term benefits of having their clients buy their models rather than competitors. Toyota and Honda are not providing the info. So the car companies are not only stopping their dealers from selling to Canadians but also when we do find one that will sell to Canadians, they are blocking the import by not giving the information to Transport Canada.

Mr Cannon, the Toyota Prius is the darling of the environment groups and is also strongly supported by the new Government of Canada by allowing a $2000 government rebate. The Prius that I bought in the US is the same vehicle that is sold in Canada. As a matter of fact it is the same model as the 2007 Prius which is allowed to be imported.

Could you please Mr.Cannon, ask your officials to fix this injustice that is presently happening. This new government is there to work for Canadians and the fact that the Canadian $ is so high, will certainly ruin some of the companies profits in this quarter. Canadians are shopping on both sides of the border and it is our right and we now see the large retailer are adjusting their prices. The major car companies are now using these methods to restrict trade. They are protecting their profits. You would never think of imposing special duties or fees for those Canadians shopping for their Cristmas gifts in the US then why would you allow Toyota and Honda to continue with this outrageous blockade.

I will await your actions on promptly solving this issue. I am also copying several influencial parties to assist us on this issue.

Serge Bergeron
  • Options
    jashalljashall Member Posts: 28
    Can anyone tell me if a deposit or out right purchase of a 2008 Toyota Tacoma before all of this came about is good enough for RIV?
    My dealer who sold a 2008 Tacoma to me (mid Oct) "assures" me I'm OK, as he spoke directly with RIV and they said it is fine, and that 2 other 2008 Tacoma's headed across the border this past weekend with no problem.
    This "new" RIV just pisses me off even more as now they are listed on it! :mad:
    I'll pass it on to my US dealer and see what he says.
    Stand-By!!!
  • Options
    mottiemottie Member Posts: 17
    Having just purchased a new Rav4,it is on the US side in a storage yard.Toyota will not issue the compliance letter for the immobilisor,although they will issue the recall letter.Do I bring it into Canada and hope this mess gets cleared up in 45 days or leave it in the States so I can at least sell it?Any input appreciated.
  • Options
    A friend brought home his new Tacoma on the 23 of Oct.Has his Form 2 now,just waiting for his DRL module.It is a very basic truck (4x4 4 cyl reg cab).He says it doesn,t even have an immobilisor
  • Options
    Well...I'm crossing the line next Sunday with my 2008 Tacoma and will let everyone know what happens. Like I said, RIV assured my US dealer (who's had to refund many people because of this), that Tacoma's are fine.
    Screw the "new" list that came out today! My purchase is a done deal & was based upon what was supplied by RIV for the last 3 months to me in my research.
  • Options
    Don't bring it in if you are not 100% sure that RIV will accept it. If you read the posts of the last 2 weeks, you will see that some ( a Honda ) have been asked to return the car to the US with great pain and trouble. You would be paying your GST, maybe duty and would need to claim it back and the car that would be exported from the US would need to be imported back in. Leave it there and wait.
  • Options
    Was this in BC? As my dealer in the US said he had 2 x 2008 Tacoma's head over the BC/USA border with no problems?
    I'm looking at doing the same this Sunday.
  • Options
    scrolllockscrolllock Member Posts: 126
    That is why they are trying to blame transport canada and their 114 law.

The whole world operates on the basis of interchangability, common rules and interfaces. What does transport Canada do... they come up with a standard more rigid than the US and European standards.

They lock out all US cars from entering the country. The standards committee that came up with this must of been funded by the car dealers of Canada! They new what they were doing.
  • Options
    Great letter Serge!! send it to the newspapers and national news services!

Thanks from all us folks caught on the wrong side.
  • Options
    mattyjackmattyjack Member Posts: 8
    When was your Rav manufactured Mottie? If it was before sep 1 07 you should be okay.
  • Options
    dreyfus1dreyfus1 Member Posts: 43
    sergelbergeron
    Excellent letter.
    Bonne chance.
  • Options
    Yes this was in BC, at the Blaine truck crossing.Possibly you have the same dealer.Good luck,this is getting scary
  • Options
    Just got off the phone with my US dealer who has a stack of 2008 vehicles destined to Canada. He had a 2008 Sienna successfully go over to Canada, even though it was on "the list" as being non-admissible. The Sienna owner had purchased his vehicle pre-November 1st (when the list was released). He had RIV write up an "exception" letter and he was off to the races!
    I must now contact RIV tomorrow with proof of sale (Oct 10th), which was made prior to the RIV Nov 6th list for my 2008 Tacoma, and they should give me an "exception" letter, as a precedence has now been set!!!
    I'll let everyone know how I do with this new angle. Cheers!
  • Options
    ted25ted25 Member Posts: 10
    I just returned from RIV office.2008 Toyota Tundra can't be imported.When told I ordered in Oct they grudgingly admitted anything ordered prior to Nov1/07 will get an exemption, however, it must cross the border prior to the end of Nov/07.My truck is on the assembly line and won't make it what a crock.
    Sent E-Mail to Cannon keep up the pressure cracks are appearing.
  • Options
    Thats one of the problems,I don't even know what the production date is because I didn't know about this Sept 1 deal.Had a US friend buy it new and immediately sell it to me.Just got the title and now hoping its 08/07.Chances are slim I think because it was only on the lot one day.Will cost me a full day to get off the Island to go check the door jamb and probably not bring it home!
  • Options
    mattyjackmattyjack Member Posts: 8
    Well i hope you get lucky. I am picking up my Highlander this weekend (manufactured in aug). I am still a little concerned.
  • Options
    Where are you located? My dealer said 2007's are still available, if it matches what you want.
    Sorry Ted :(
  • Options
    Sounds like you should be ok
  • Options
    ted25ted25 Member Posts: 10
    I'm from Toronto.If you could send me your E-Mail address we can talk more private.

Ted
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice Serge ,and good luck with your situation. This has made for a lot of sleepless nights.
  • Options
    partickpartick Member Posts: 1
    Hi Tundradan,
    Would appreciate any info you have on importing Tundra, it's the truck I want. My email is paquinn4@hotmail.com
    Thanks
  • Options
    dmolelladmolella Member Posts: 7
    Any news from RIV or Transport Canada on hope of importing a 2008 Prius pre-Sept.07 manufacturing date?

Thanks
  • Options
    fabs375fabs375 Member Posts: 3
    i would like to puchase a mitsubishi eclipse GST in the states and import it into canada. would anyone be able to tell me what i need to do in order to complete this? i would like the kno what it would cost.... and how i could find out the regulations and stuff that the car needs to have. i woudl bring this vehicle into alberta. if anyone could help me out that would be great. thanks. (this is not a new car... i am looking at a 1995 mitsubishi eclipse GST)
  • Options
    jashall,

I am in a bit of a similar boat. I put a deposit down on a 2008 Highlander in October, to be picked up in about 1 to 2 weeks. While the vehicle is admissable I must get Toyota to confirm that the immobilizer (which is standard on the model I have bought) is compliant with CMVSS 114. Apparently this is next to impossible.

Tonight I e-mailed RIV indicating that based on my due diligence, and their written and verbal guidance, I was very much led to believe that the vehicle qualified for importation and if it did not have an immobilizer in place, one would have to be added (note: this is very different from having to get Toyota to represent or warrant that my imported Highlander complies with CMVSS 114). I indicated that exception letters are being furnished I expect to receive one.

I will keep everyone posted.

This is getting crazy...
  • Options
    survivor1survivor1 Member Posts: 17
    bypassenger,
    What modifications were made to your Odyssey after you brought it into Canada and how much?
  • Options
    carman23carman23 Member Posts: 11
    Good letter!

Why not send it to all major newspapers accross Canada?
  • Options
    News yes - god news NO. They still say not on list - too bad - no exemptions, no nothing - I will be parking the car long term - 1-2 months on the week-end until we can get the politicians, TC to fix this up. I don't want to sell it.
  • Options
    bigjonnycbigjonnyc Member Posts: 11
    2008 and all previous Odyssey are fully compliant with RIV, and listed as acceptable as is by RIV.
  • Options
    Hey Ted,

I'm here in BC, so may be too far away for you ?
  • Options
    veedub18tveedub18t Member Posts: 33
    bigjonnyc - No. The 2008 Odyssey IS NOT currently admissible. All models 2007 and earlier are. This is based on the Nov. 6, 2007 VAFUS list. The only 2008 Honda models currently admissible are the S2000, Element and Pilot.
  • Options
    Finally got through to RIV and told them my case:
    - Purchased 2008 Toyota Tacoma
    - Paid for it October 10, 2007
    - Need an exemption letter, since I bought it before Nov 1st
    The RIV guy stated, in a monotone voice, you have to fax your Bill of Sale here (905)267-1182 - ATTN: Maria, to get an exemption letter. I also faxed my bank wire which shows the date of transaction.
    My US dealer confirmed that a few more Canadian customers called him & went through this process with no hassles.
    Good luck everyone ! ;)
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    "The only 2008 Honda models currently admissible"

Three aging models. I guess not many people want them, so they are admissible. :(
  • Options
    mangromangro Member Posts: 1
    Could you also please let me know of which Pennsylvania dealerships will sell to Canadians. I am from Toronto and that's not too far a drive. Thanks - m7grover@hotmail.com
  • Options
    thurteanthurtean Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, I imported a 2006 Mitsubishi Endeavor from Seattle and after bringing it into Canada I emailed Mitsubishi motors to see if they honor the new car warranty, they sent me a very vague email indicating that the warranty may only be valid in the states, however I talked to the dealer here in Vancouver directly and they have done and will do warranty work even if the vehicle is from the states. Has anyone else had a similar situation like this?
  • Options
    dreyfus1dreyfus1 Member Posts: 43
    Hon Lawrence Cannon Minister of Transport
    CMVSS114 is costing Canadians $4,000 to $40,000 per car.
    We are near a repeat of the Rona Ambrose debacle. Will you like being called Rona Cannon. You will like it even less when Harper is standing in front of the cameras like a deer caught in the headlights while he flusters and blusters trying to defend the indefensible as Stephane, Jack and Gilles politely try to cover their giggles. Lawrence you can still save yourself from ignominy.
  • Options
    easytogoeasytogo Member Posts: 6
    please provide a canadian email address as some US dealership pretends a buyer and the selling dealership got in trouble.
  • Options
    Becareful .. Toyota Canada has lots of spys..

Suggest a better reference check than a Canadian email address.
  • Options
    wrajinderwrajinder Member Posts: 58
    TO ALL,

DO NOT PUT DEALERS INFORMATION OVER HERE. "UNDRATAN"LAST WEEK ABOUT A DEALER OVER HERE. NEXT DAY THE DEALER WAS SUT DOWN. THEY ARE NO MORE SELLING VEHICLES TO CANDIANS. DO NOT PUT ANY DEALER INFO OVER HERE. THESE PEOPLE ARE TRACKING EVERY MESSAGE OVER HERE. WE ARE HURTING OVERSELVES.