Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Hi,

My 2005 with 10 miles on it cost $32,000. Has all season 17 inch tires, HID with auto sensing wipers, heated/cooled seats, 6 disc CD changer, wood wheel/shifter, rear shade, cargo net and mats, wheel locks but no VSC.

You can also get the car with all of the above and VSC for same price. Shop around.

Good luck.
  • Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Can you please tell me one more thing... how much of tax, title, tag, processing fee you paid on top of this? The tax (3.2%) is on top of Base price or price with all the options?

Bondey
  • Total cost was about $33,100.
  • Hello,

I made a deal today for a 2005 ES330. It is loaded.

Options include:

-Navigation

-Mark Lev

-Wood wheel and knob

-Heated and cooled seats

-Power sunshade

-Power pedals

-HID headlamps w/ rain wipers

-6 disc changer

-preffered accessory package

-summer tires

-Also added xm sat radio

MSRP is 38904.00

Paid turn key 36k

This works out to be around 88.5% of MSRP before tax,tag, and fees

My local dealer would not work with me on price so I called a dealer 100 miles away and they worked out the deal I wanted. The local dealer was working with me but did not have the car I wanted. He said they would get the car from port in three weeks for me. I thought they would deal with me because they would be selling a car before they had it. The company I bought the car from dealt better with me and they are going to deliver the car to me on Monday. They just seemed to bend over backwards to make me happy.

The dealer I dealt with is Johnson Lexus in Raliegh NC
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Posts: 9,359
    .... I'm not to good in the math department, but I think thats like 92.5% of MSRP .. anyway, great vehicle and a good price ...

Terry.
  • rroyce,

you are correct. My math was off a little bit. I thought we were using the negotiated price before tax,tags,and fees. This amount for me was 34430.00. final price off the lot was 36k. That is where I got the total of 88.5% from. Sorry. Happy car shopping everyone.
  • rroyce,

you are correct. My math was off a little bit. I thought we were using the negotiated price before tax,tags,and fees. This amount for me was 34430.00. final price off the lot was 36k. That is where I got the total of 88.5% from. Sorry. Happy car shopping everyone.
  • gbjerkegbjerke Posts: 158
    I posted some time back (11-04?) when I bought my '05 but I am amazed at how much dealers differ in selling their cars.

I tried to shop locally and when my wifes car was about to sell privately, I got real serious. Locally, they said we will beat any deal out there...OK, that sounds good so I shopped Chicago dealers via the internet and eventually had a quote of $500 over invoice from two suburban dealerships. Went to local and the salesman EVENTUALLY said he would "try" to get 1k over and asked if I would go for that. Since the sales tax difference would have been about $200 less locally and the fact that I could get a wash every Saturday I thought why not? I agreed to 1k over...did not hear back from the salesman! No biggy, I went 70 miles away and bought from the same salesman that sold me my '02 SC400, back in '02. Flawlwss delivery and about a week later, the local salesman called me asking, "I assume you bought by now", to which I responded "YES". He then told me he could not get the sales mgr. to even go for the 1k over and wanted to get whatever info from me on my purchase. It appeared evident that this is not the first sale he has lost.

My point with him is why the hell would a dealership give up a profit sale? 1k over invoice, another 1,500 holdback so the dealer gets 2,500 on a clean sale....no trade...I drive in, write a check and drive out.

Ya know, it seems too simple to me...do a sale, pocket 2,500...think I'd do that all day, every day of the week.

We are however in a small town as such---150,000 and I suspect a lot of people pay more for their cars and are happy campers. I have no problem with those that don't shop hard for their cars...I do, and still cannot figure out why a store would give up an easy 2,500 on a clean deal.

Go figure I guess....anyone else have an explanation for such an attitude?
    ..... **1k over invoice, another 1,500 holdback so the dealer gets 2,500 on a clean sale.... no trade ...I drive in, write a check and drive out** ..

You just answered your own question and didn't know it ...

First of all, it's not a $2,500 deal .. approximately it's a $1,600 deal with the 2% holdback - (2% of base MSRP only = $660) plus the $1,000 ..

Not knowing all of the details of that particular store, but they have to pay the salesman at least $25% of the "over invoice" money .. so lets say $250, now it becomes a $1,350 deal .. depending on the dealer, his rolling inventory, color, options, plus the floorplan has probably eaten up $500 of the $660, it now dwindles down to "around" $850, and thats why holdback is not a profit center .... not much money there to pay the mortgage, lights, heat, service and parts area after that ....

$2,500 of a clean deal.? more like, they just did a pass and you did better somewhere else - that said, the dealer you bought from probably just sold 3 ES's at $2,700 over invoice and they could afford a skinny deal on the 4th one ... see, it's more of a timing thing than a dealer thing ..

Terry.
    My math was off on the holdback, although I think yours is also. My info is that it is 3% of sticker excluding shipping. This was told to me by a friend who was with a BMW store here, went to Lexus and then back to BMW as sales mgr.---he also said the store got a quarterly "bonus" from Lexus depending on the number of units they sold.

I should have stated 1k in holdback. That plus 1k over invoice still is 2k. OK, take the commission out of it....so what, it's still a profit, be it 1,000 to 1,500. It's not like these cars are so rare that you get on a waiting list and pay "market adjusted price".

I had quotes from 1,800 over to several (like 5 of them)at 1k over and two at 500 over.

My point is that if I were a dealer and could make even 1k on a clean deal, what is the reason to turn this down. I don't care how many deals a store can make at 2-3k over...why turn down 1k or so in a no trade deal?

I could certainly understand such a position IF it were a supply/demand issue...i.e. demand exceeds supply---that ain't here....lots of supply, and moderate demand=excess inventory.

My mantra would be, "move em out boys" as long as one could turn a nickel or three.
    ....... Obviously your friend is wrong, Lexus is 2% of the Base MSRP, options are not included .. plus dealers can't hold their breath waiting for a quartely bonus that may or may not hit, that's kinda like waiting for that winning lottery ticket .. also holdback isn't a profit center, it's used to "offset" the cost of the floorplan .. check my profile, I'll bet I'm into $100 of the strike zone ...

Import dealers can't survive selling the bulk of their inventory for $900/$1,200 over invoice, they only sell 80/100/120 vehicles a month and most of those dudes are high priced and sucking up the holdback faster than a camel can drink water after a 3 day run .... "move em out boys", I agree - that works for a big Ford/Chevy store thats pumping out 250/350+ units a month .. but most "high end" import dealers have to average $2,500 a unit just to keep the heat on ....

I hope this helps ...

Terry :)
  • this was part of the december to remember sales event. bought it 1 day before it expired. i first negotiated the price and then talked to them about payment terms etc. the lease term should not affect the price you negotiate.
    Can't say whether my friend is right or wrong...2% or 3% holdback on sticker vs. base price. Quarterly bonus may/may not hit....I don't know.

My POINT however is why would a dealer turn down a profit, no matter how slim, when supply obviously exceeds demand.

I had two quotes at 500 over; five or more at 1,000 over. These dealers are not idiots; i.e. they sure as hell are not going to lose $$$ on a straight out deal. Seven dealers at 1k or less over invoice and the local would not meet even the 1k over. This is what amazes me.

I am sure there are a lot of Lexus shoppers who pay sticker or get a "generous" $500 off. That's all well and good but I still wonder why a store would not get rid of an in stock floor planned vehicle when he can trun a nickel on it.
  • Because he wants more money than you want to give him?
    ...... What the dealer did 22 miles away or the one gave you a price from 122 miles away is almost meaningless discussion, but I will try to explain it ... dealers watch their inventory Very Closely, every dealer has to average "X" amount of dollars per unit, and a $2,500 rolling "average" across the board is usually the figure ~ that means he can take a $1,600 deal, but he has to have a $4,000 deal, an $2,400 deal, a $2,000 deal and lets not forget a $2,500 deal .. now, if the guy sold his next 5 vehicles at $500 over invoice, he would be in the bucket for $10,000 (American money) ...

The guy 22 miles away, well, he might have sold 3 RX330's and and two LS430's and averaged $2,959.90 a copy .. the dealer 122 miles away, he might have sold 2 LX470's, 1 LS430 and 2 SC430's and averaged $2,791.23 a copy, so they are over their rolling average for the month, so at that particular time they can take a tiny deal and in 4.3 days that could all change ... now, you go to your guy and he needs $1,500 over invoice to make a deal and he decides to pass for one simple reason - he feels he's losing money .. plus you keep throwing holdback into the deal .. it's "Not" profit, the dealer is sitting on probably $15/$25 million++ in inventory and he's paying a quarter point over prime for it everyday ~ thats alot of enchilada's ...

You got a good deal, so enjoy it and quite taking it personally, it's just good business .. how long do you think Best Buys would stay in business if they sold everyone of their new super duper TV's for $300 ...... aaahh, not long ..l.o.l.....

-- Or, **Because he wants more money than you want to give him?** ............... ;)

Terry.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    I'm thinking of buying an ES330 or an I35, but I can't seem to justify the extra $$$ needed for the ES330. What's the difference between the two cars? I know that the I35 is a 2004 model, but I don't really care. I drive my vehicles for about 95,000 miles before buying a new car, so depreciation doesn't matter too much.
    ... ** What's the difference between the two cars?** ..

Personal taste .......

Terry.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    ah. ok. But does anybody feel that the ES330 is worth possibly the $5,000 premium over the I35?
  • atoewsatoews Posts: 637
    Presumably anyone who bought an ES330 thinks it is worth it.
  • jbtwojbtwo Posts: 14
    Just started to look for a new car and headed over to a local Lexus dealer. They quoted the following and was curious if it was a good deal.

2005 Lexus ES330

MSRP - $35,419

Lease payment of $498.00 per month.

Lease term - 36 months/36,000 miles.

Lease payment includes sales tax for Illinois.

Only first payment is required for start of lease.

Sorry I don't have any other information.
This discussion has been closed.