Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Have you done an inspection of the car or paid for an independent one? What's the condition of the vehicle? If there aren't mechanical and/or cosmetic issues, then $6500 seems fair. If the vehicle has many scratches, dents, rust and needs mechanical work, then offer $4k.
  • dardson1dardson1 Posts: 696
    Where'd you buy. I'm in TX also. Looking at the same vehicle ($35237) and dealer seems stuck on $32400. It looked like a fair offer (compared to Edmunds TMV price of $34k+) until I start reading this board. Are you sure you got an '06, lol. . . I want your deal. :cry:
  • x021627x021627 Posts: 148
    RAY CATENA is the largest dealer in nj and supposedly 2nd in country.
  • jlewkjlewk Posts: 1
    I have been reading about getting prices in the 88% to 90% range on this message board. The best price I have been able to get in the Long Island New York area has been 91%. Are these discounts region specific?
  • atoewsatoews Posts: 637
    Sorry, I have no quotes from New York and yes, the prices vary a lot by region. So. Cal, for example has better prices than just about anywhere else.

91% is a lot for this time of year, however. If I were you, I would try to pitt the dealers in your area against each other, even if out of your state. Get quotes from nearby dealers and from the internet. See if you can get 88.5-90%

I have a couple of quotes from New Jersey for example:

que2, 2005 ES330, 1059, 3/31/05, Little Falls, New Jersey (Tri-County Lexus) $35909, $31,800, 88.6% MSRP

x021607, 2005 ES330, 1006, 9/1/05, Bridgewater, NJ (DiFeo Lexus), purchase, $35909, $32500, 90.5% MSRP

I will guess that Bridgewater is closer to New York, which might explain que2's slightly better deal.

The difference between 90.5% MSRP and 88.6% MSRP is worth approximately $700 so it might be worth a trip to Little Falls, for example. It is up to you.
    who was the dealer? Was your deal in Houston or Dallas?
    It matters a lot whether you are near Houston or Dallas. Posters tend to get slightly better deals in the Dallas area.
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    atoews:

The percentages that you are quoting that we should strive for are for 2005s or 2006s? Does it make a difference? I have been told that there are only a few 2005s left and the 2006s have been at the dealer's for some time already.
    Is there ANY difference between 2005 and 2006 ES?

Does anyone have an experience with the actual special order of an ES330? What price difference, if any, does it make? How long does it take?
    According to Edmund's the true market value is much higher for a 2006, but the posters on this thread have not been paying more than for the 2005. (Of course, I am relying on the honesty and accuracy of the posters reporting their deals, which may not be a great way to go.)

The only difference between a 2005 and a 2006 is that there are different special packages. The differing packages impact the color of interior, the color of the exterior, and perhaps the wood on the interior. In other words the differences between 2005 and 2006 are purely cosmetic. The features are the same.

In my experience, special orders can be problematic for Toyota. However there are posters on this thread who have successfully special ordered vehicles. I suspect that better bargains appear on the dealer's lots than on special orders, since dealers pre-pay their vehicles and are incentivized to move them.

Don't be afraid to show up in person at the dealers. Ask the salespeople your questions. At least with Lexus,there are fewer hucksters in the sales departments than for other brands, in my opinion.

Visiting Lexus dealers is a relatively pleasant experience, at least when compared to other brands.

Note, I once had a Toyota salesman who, after accompanying me on several test drives, implied that I had wasted his time because I did not make a purchase from him. You do not receive that kind of treatment from Lexus dealers in my opinion.
    I ended up paying $1000 over invoice for my 06 ES330. All the ab/fab stories aside, $3k off sticker suits me well enough for a great car a month+ into the new model year. I considered a few other cars. Nothing came close that didn't list for $10k more. The ES is a bargain at MSRP let alone $3k off list. Not too much more than a fancy Toyota and all the untouchable service to boot. I've owned two and their service is unbelievable. Love my Lexus.
    Well, I agree with most of what you say except that an ES330 is worth MSRP. It may be worth MSRP to an individual purchaser, but that purchaser would be paying $3500 - $3800 more than most others have paid for the same car. (this assumes that Edmund's posters are providing truthful and accurate deals.) Market value is the key issue as to what the car is worth.

Edmund's TMV is probably a good indicator. The problem with using it on this thread is that posters barely take the time to compare the simple MSRP on quotes. Asking them to run an Edmund's TMV on all their quotes would be 'way too much to ask. Ditto for invoice.

Based upon what I have seen over the past two years, there is no way I'd pay MSRP for an end of cycle body style where the new one will be out in a few months.
  • cjr1cjr1 Posts: 1
    Tell me what problems you had with the transmission. I can't find a reference. I also bought one and the shifting is not smooth and often has a "clunk." What about pickup when you accelerate?

Thanks
    CJR
  • I just bought a 2006 Lexus ES 330, do I need an extended warranty? Don't these cars run well, has anyone else needed an extended warranty for a Lexus??
    Thanks
  • An ES330 sticker price of $38360 if available at even 90% of MSRP would be around $34,500. Yet here in central Iowa the Des Moine's Lexus dealer (after 2 visits there) says $37000 is his lowest dollar. Superior Lexus in Kansas City is saying $36000. Both are considerably above the 34500 number. I wonder why?
    Well, it is all a matter of supply and demand.

I suppose that Edmund's TMV might be a realistic price because it is based on actual sales.

Perhaps the dealers are not receiving as many as in the past. And they fear people will not like the new design while they have a shortage of 2006s.

So, if you really like the car, get it any price because it may be your last opportunity to get this current body style in a new car.

If you are really concerned about price, join Sam's Club and ask the folks at Sam's what the story is. They will give you a good scoop.

After all, when this body style was new in 2002, cars were going for 95% MSRP.
    I wasn't suggesting anyone pay MSRP for a new Lexus. The Lexus I just purchased was for my 80 year old mother-in-law. She drove Cadillacs forever and was looking for a luxo-ride with all the bells and whistles. The other cars we shopped with similar content . . . a big Buick, full-sized Cadillac, and a Town Car. All those cars had an MSRP between $43k and $46k (never mind the discounts and rebates). By comparison the '06 ES330 listed for $35k+. The ES had every bell and whistle as the others, and the only important difference I could see was the smaller size of the Lexus (a plus for her these days).
    Tell me a Town Car for $44k is dumb, I'll agree. . . but a ES330 @ $35k+ with exactly the same content is not bad even at MSRP. For $32,400 ($1000 over invoice) it's a bargain. My point is that these cars are cheap and their MSRP's are not artificially inflated as are the American brands.
  • rdannrdann Posts: 2
    Just bought 2006 Lexus ES330 MSRP $39,694 for $34,200. This was my first Lexus buying experience. Dealer did not want to give any extras for free, but the price was good. Thanks to all of you on this board! It helps a lot!
    Region So. CA.

The interior is cashemire. Nice, but will be hard to keep clean, so thinking if there are any nice all weather mats for this car? Any information on this will be appreciated!
This discussion has been closed.