Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan 350Z Problems and Solutions

Comments

• I've also got the 350Z front end problems. In fact I'm going to the dealer tomorrow for them to check and see if I qualify for a SECOND set of new tires for my 2003. I've got 34,000 miles on it and the problem has never gone away. Can't believe what they've stated in their latest letter that was sent out a couple of weeks ago about a new tire design to solve the problem. Seems pretty obvious by now that the front end alignment is the problem and the tire wear is a symptom. Prior to Nissan's latest warranty extension and I had purchased a five year unlimited alignment from the local Goodyear store (Which Nissan has refused to reimburse me for!). For the last year I've just had the front end aligned every time I get the oil changed. And the front tires are still wearing unevenly and the tire "growl" is still there.
    I would appreciate knowing the name and contact information for the attorney you are using.
    BTW, I also have the Brickyard Red paint but so far have not noticed any problems.

Thanks, Michael G
    Huntington Beach, CA
  • jmillsjmills Posts: 77
    Lots of luck with Nissan.

They will not state what their exact criteria for tire replacement is.

However!!!

I had 2/32 cupping, two weeks ago,and the dealer said it was not enough and said the noise was not loud enough to warrant replacement

I think they are only going to replace tires if they are so worn that you end up paying their cost

I was charged for alignment by a Nissan dealer during the previous "Free Alignment Period" and am still trying to get it refunded.

The one definite given in this whole situation is that Nissan is doing nothing to fix the front end problem and everything possible to keep from replacing tires with the newer design.

It is one big publicity scam to look good and do nothing.
  • It was most noticeable in the left rear bearing, but when they looked at it, they ended up replacing both rear bearings. I thought that was great. So far this service dept has taken care of me pretty well.

They did say that was the first time they had to replace both sides. But they definitely knew about the problem.

Andrew
  • Turns out the bearings were ok, and the rattle is coming from something else that Nissan doesn't know how to fix. When the clutch is let out, the car starts making a whirling noise, both when in gear and when in neutral. Dealer heard the noise but didn't know how to fix, and they called the Nissan Techline who acknowledged the problem but doesn't have a TSB out for it and doesn't have a solution to what they know exists...who ever tested mine had heard the same noise in 4 out of 10 other Z's so its more common than not. Seems strange that Nissan doesn't have any clue how to fix this!
  • Unfortunately it is not at all strange or surprising since they have never been able to correct the tire cupping problems, only reduce them by having Bridgestone build a special tire.

Nissan has the most pathetically incompetent dealer and factory service network of any car manufacturer.
  • What was the problem with your headlights? Mine are aimed too low and even the high beams are easy to overdrive. It will be nice to know if there is a fix.
  • I have an '05 GTR with 775 miles and sometimes after parking it, when its in neutral there is a rattling/clicking noise that seems to come from the trans when I turn off the engine. The dealer heard it, but was unable to reproduce it on a test drive. Thus far I've had the car in 3 times for service (I've had it since aug 8th and was gone for 2 of those weeks on vacation)
    1. The top leaks, and when they replaced the seals (2 trips - one for diagnostic, one to install the seals) they did it wrong and now it is worse requiring another trip. I wish I could post a picture of what they did - it's pathetic :cry: .
    2. there is a chunk of plastic missing from the roll bar cover behind the drivers seat that they agreed they would replace. They ordered the wrong part requiring another trip to get it installed. (one down, hopefully only one to go)
    3. the aforementioned rattling noise - I'm sure there are more trips in my future about this.

I've also noticed that the headlights are aimed way too low. It feels like I could overdrive them at 50. I get the idea from this forum that there will be a fight with them over that. Forewarned is forearmed I suppose.

There is also a rattle somewhere in the center console, but that is probably a losing proposition from the start.

To be honest, I love this car, It looks and handles great and even gets decent mileage, but I didn't plan on spending all this time at the dealer when I purchased it. Overall I'm really unhappy with the overall experience - this is what I'd expect buying a $12K Cobalt, not a $37K sports car.

Admittedly, I'm very picky about my cars. I take care of them and expect to get quality for what I paid for. To add insult to injury, the last time I dropped the car off, the tech had his notebook on the hood of the car and was writing in it, and I had to ask him to not do that. You'd think that car people would know that you never do anything like that on a painted surface, even a clean one, especially when the owner is standing right there. Then they "detailed" the car and left water spots all over the door sills and on the wheels which took me 45 minutes with a shammy to clean up that evening.

I'm trying to be nice to the people in the service department, because I know that if I go off on them I'll just get worse service than I'm already getting. How many trips to the dealer to fix manufacturing defects and dealer screwups in the first 1000 miles is acceptable?

:(
  • Lots of luck!!!

I love to drive my 350 Track

However I have never experienced worse service from dealers and factory.

It took me three dealers in two states followed by a call to the factory to get my headlights aimed. All three dealers said they could not be aimed until I contacted the factory who called the last dealer.

I had to go through arbitration with the BBB to get my defective rear view mirror replaced.

I have never owned a car that had as many problems and as poor a dealer/factory service network.

:lemon:
  • Hi:
    I have a new 350-2005 base model that has 3000 miles.At first oil change I told the deasler that I had received info re: TSB for tire wear and alignment problems and they swore that they had no problems with the 05 because they all had the new tires and the alignment problem was corrected. BS! Guess what? They had to replace two front tires last Thursday, and they even put the left one on wrong! I had to wait another hour while they corrected their mistake. Oh, by the way, I guess they don't know how to user a tire guage either, as every tire was underinflated and no two tires were the same PSI!
  • I got the same rattle noise on my 2005 Z too. I hear it when I turn off the engine and if you slowly engage the clutch without putting too much gas on, you can hear it then too. i think the rattle is linked to a whirling noise mine makes when you lett the cluth out, whether in gear or not. the dealer heard the noise on mine and called the techline at nissan who tested 10 of them and heard the same noise on 4 others, so they acknowledged it but don't have a solution. my dealer said to call the techline and file a complaint, if enough of the z's have the same problem, then they will have to address start addressing it, for now its just considered normal.
  • Hey how you guys diong.. First time I use this Forum.. In fact never used a furom before. Well That little problem with the RPMS MIGHT JUST BE the Traction control now I dont mean to insult your intelligence because this might be something obvious to many people.... well it wasnt to me lol. This is my first high performance car you could say .. so well sometimes when I used to floor the gas pedal it would kinda die out then bam pick up again thats because the traction control advoids it from peeling out basically . that might be it.. I was ready to take it into the dealer.. then a friend with a z just pressed a button and ... well the rest is hizzzzzztory .. heh.
  • I purchased a 2004 350Z Touring Roadster, that when my problems started. The car seemed fine for the first 500 miles, then I noticed a burning smell like plastic or tranny fluid. I took the car to my dealer and they said they could not smell a thing. I did this over a 3 month period of time repeatedly taking the car back to get advise but none was given. Then at 1500 miles the clutch stopped working. I had the car towed to the dealer they looked it over and then replaced the clutch. That was good news until the burning smell came back and again at another 1500 (or 3000 miles total) miles the clutch stopped working. They accused me of bad clutch habits until they drove with me in an identical car and saw that I was a great clutch driver. So they called in an Nissan expert who without even looking under the hood told the service dept to replace both the clutch assembly and the tranny... I was happy and moved on. The burning smells again came back at about 8000 miles I took the car in for advise and again I was told they could not smell it. The Car stopped working again at 9000 miles (Yes the clutch) and now they won't fix it. As a matter of a fact they would not even look at the car and told me that it is a non warranty item and it will cost me $2200.00 to fix. I made a complaint with the Nissan customer sat people and thought I was getting somewhere... I didn't they said no warranty. I towed the car from the local dealer to an Acura dealer where I know they have good mechanics (Ex Nissan Expert) who told me that it is very hard to believe that the clutch would do what it is doing unless the time is not adjusted, hot spots on the flywheel from the tranny change, or just bad service work in general.

My question is to all of you out there have you had the same problems seems like a few threads hear are having the same type of issues?

I dont trust Nissan but I had to have my car towed to a different dealership (as to not void my warranty). I am not going to even go into the poor service and customer service issues I had but there were plenty. At least Acura gave me a loaner and it wasn't even their problem.

Go Figure...
  • henehene Posts: 1
    Hi!

Does the seats use 12V?
    Under seats are plug where is 4 pins and there is red, black, blue and white wire.
    Red and black is + and -, but what are blue and white wire?

There is also one small plug where is two very small pins, what plug is this?

Best regards, Henri Pylväs, Finland
  • hey sorry to hear about that problem you had with the Burning smell.. I just got word from my dealer .. which I had to call by the way .. they didnt call me to advise me .. but.. either way .. they have to fix the back axles.. the guy couldnt even explain to me what happened or what they were doing he just said they are putting a kit.. or something like that replacing the axles .. I would ask him if this was a factory problem that existed on other 350s and the guy was getting annoyed and he wouldnt let me talk. I had to tell him to stop talking and ask him if he was going to actually listen to any of my questions and let me talk. LOL the service IS HORRIBLE I got to the dealer to drop off the car and the guy was having a fun conversation with someone cursing and all.. I stood in front of him for about 5 minutes looking at him then I asked him.. excuse me.. are you busy.. then the guy tries to play it off by saying eh .. " yeah hold on sir " on the phone.. lol comeon he was talking to a buddy he wasnt talking to a customer. Very unprofessional. I have never owned a Nissan .. I only have about 4500 Miles so far.. and I am knocking on wood that nothing else happens.. but I must say I am dissapointed.. I had a honda accord.. which ofcourse doesnt compare and its a totally different car completely. But I NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WHAT SO EVER and I drove that car hard.. for four years.. that car was loyal and didnt give me ONE problem.
    Either way Just wanted to let that say sory to hear about your problem and keep us updated.
    <---Robin
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,597
    Not sure. Did you test them to see if one or both had power? Is it possible that its just another set of + and - that are there to power the 2nd motor (if there are 2 motors - 1 for tilt and 1 for sliding)? Just taking a stab in the dark.

May I ask why it matters? Are you replacing the seats?

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• You should file a complaint with the BBB autoline, online.
    When Nissan refuses to correct the problem request arbitration.
    Arbitration will probably bring in an independent expert and that expert will often rule in your favor and Nissan will be required to correct the problem.

This process will not cost you anything- Nissan has to pay for the cost.
  • Sorry to hear about your problem. Is your car out of warranty? I know the clutch warranty is less than the car warranty. In your case, I can see you already have the problem before the car breaks down. Your dealership should have a record of your service record since they looked at your car several other times and found no problem. I suggest you get a laywer who is familiar with your state lemon law.

• Thanks for the advise, I have spoken to legal but the problem is that clutches are considered out of warranty. My best hopes are that they (Nissan) tear it down and find out what is causing the problem. If the motor is spinning too fast, hot spots on the fly wheel, improper tranny install, defective tranny, defective car... The thing that kills me the most is the overall experience with Nissan. You know had they been honest from the get go and at least opened it up and said it out of warranty I would have probably coughed up the $$$ and moved on. They didn't even look at the car and diagnosed it as driver error. According to legal though if enough people are complaining about the same thing there may be a case. It does bug me to no end though. After talking to Nissan Techs, and from all the research I have been doing I am finding that Nissan is having this problem all over the place. I am not sure if it is the clutch, flywheel, tranny, or being miss timed, etc.. The NissanTechs aren't sure either. I have found on other forums that there has been a major issue with shoddy parts plaguing Nissan especially in the clutch area.

Well right now as I am writing they are tearing down my Z and hopefully I will have an answer tomorrow. I will keep all posted here as to the outcome.

BTW I have already contacted the BBB, the OC Register and LA times newspaper s, FOX news, CBS, and KCAL news all of which have a big interest in the outcome as well. :sick:

Clone
  • I can tell you from my experience, that after driving my 03 350z, that i started hearing a ratteling in the transmission when the clutch was released and the vehcle was idle. Turned out that it was a loose bearing that had not been cased inside the transmision. This is fixed under warranty. Took my dealership 3 weeks to do it, yay i had fun driving a pulsar around :(.

Hope this helps
  • Can anyone tell me if Nissan is extending or admitting now that the feathering is a problem on the 04 models. I have an 04 Roadster, been thur on set of tires before 12 k... not covered under warrenty. Had the alignment redone again at 16k, again at my cost. The car drives ok but the noise when breaking is still there. :mad:
  • Yes you should have received a TSB in the mail from Nissan stating that they are covering the tires and alignments for the first 3years of ownership, regardless of mileage.

If you bought used from a private party, you may not get the notice, and I am assuming it will be covered 3 years from when the original owner purchased it.

All dealers should know about this by now. So just call them up and schedule. I think they will even cover previous alignments and tires if done through a Nissan Dealership.
  • Well, I have over 5000 miles on the S2000 (I drive a lot) and ZERO problems. I really love this car, it has all the style and spirit the Z had, though its a different style. Its more fun to drive since it handles so damn well, and its a convertible. I bet NO rattling, NO grinds, NO clicks...

knock on wood of course hehe. The only weak link in these cars is supposedly the diff and axles, and they only go if you REALLY abuse the car. But withing 5000 miles on my Z, I was already starting to feather, and my first transmission was grinding in 5th and 6th, and my seat shifted like no-ones business.

The S2000 now has 31k miles on it. Best move I could have made IMO. Well, with gas prices the way they are, a better move might have been to get a diesel hehe.
    I miss my Z. :(

I might have an S2K (since I found a used one cheap enough), but, no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't fit in it. But that's for an S2K board.

• furlyfurly Posts: 5
    ARE U READY FOR THIS AWFUL STORY THAT LEADS ME TO MY 4TH CLUTCH AT 31,000 MILES. BROUGHT 350Z TORUING WITH NAVI 33 MILES AT 3375 FIRST CLUTCH GONE I CANT DRIVE IS WHAT NISSAN SAYS BUT THEY COVERED IT SECOND CLUTCH GONE AT 20,000 MILES I CANT DRIVE AGAIN SO I HAD TO COVER IT 2200 FREAKING DOLLARS AT CHRISTMAS TIME DEC04 NOW ITS OCT 5 AND ITS BACK AT THE SHOP AND GUESS WHAT FOR CLUTCH LOL WELL JUST GOT A CALL THEY GIVING ME A NEW TRANNY BUT OFCOURSE I MUST PLAY FOR THE CLUTCH BECAUSE I CANT DRIVE A MANUAL BUT BEEN DRIVING ONE SINCE I WAS 18 NOW IM 29 NICE TRY NSSAN FIGHTING IN COURT NOW U WANNA MAKE IT BIG LETS HOOK UP ITS A 2003 BY THE WAY
    IM DOOMED
  • I'm back... Well so is my car and as promised here is the out come as of Oct-5-05. They replaced the 2004 Clutch and Flywheel with a 2005 for $2400.00 installed and threw in a 2005 tranny kit for free. One week later the car still has a burning smell especially in idle, 1st or 2nd. The clutch makes noises when shifting from 4th to 5th and downshifting from 6th to 5th.

I had an in dependant Nissan gearhead look at the car, drove it for 30min, and give suggestions. He stated that the synchro gears are faulty and this is a big issue. He too smelled the burning odor and feels that it is a leak of tranny fluid somewhere. Hmmmmmmmm!!!

Well I scheduled time with a different Nissan dealer service dept to investigate. They took the car out for a 10 min run and I went with. The guy who drove the car drove at a break neck speed of 45mph max. Grand ma Moses was driving my HIGH PERFORMANCE SPORTS VEHICLE like it was a senior citizens transportation van. Of course he could find nothing wrong. I switched places with him and took control. He then smelled the burning odor. Right away he stated that I clutch between 1st and 2nd too fast and stated that this is causing the smell (Yeah right) and that the Nissan Z should never be downshifted to slow the speed of the car ( Another yeah right). Unfourtunatly I could not duplicate the grinding (synchrogear) noise. We made it back to the service dept and had a conversation with his boss and it was determined that:

1: I need to slow down my clutching between 1st and 2nd especially starting, and around corners to stop the burning smell and drive at a top speed of 5-10 miles MPH in those gears

2: That the Z was not meant to be downshifted to reduce speed and that only the brakes are viable for this

3: If I am to drive the car hard and fast I should consider getting a 3rd party heavy duty clutch kit (They even recomended Stillen) since the 350Z was not meant to be driven like a sports car should drive ???)

Well I laughed at 1 & 2 above but I took them up on #3 and contacted Stillen. I think the guy I spoke too is still laughing at 1 & 2 but told me for $1100.00 he would put in a heavy duty clutch kit (much like the other 4 Z's on his lot who have the same issues are doing). He did state that he has been getting alot of Nissans w/ similar issues.

On a good note though the Nissan head service guy does side with me and feels there is a bigger problem inside the car other than the driver. They are working though their internal forums, and tech reports and trying to find out why the Z should not be downshifted to slow the car bla bla bla... Wait and see... When I get more updates I will post

CloneDNA
    :confuse:
  • furlyfurly Posts: 5
    GOOD LUCK BABES IM SO DOOMED U GOT ME THINKING IM GONNA HAVE MORE PROBLEMS I BEEN HEARING SO MANY PEOPLE ARE ON 3RD TRANNYS ITS AWFUL I KNOW FOR A FACT DEFECTIVE SYNCS IN THE TRANSMISSION HAS DONE MY CLUTCH IN 4 TIMES AND NISSAN KNOWS IT TWO I ASKED FOR A NISMO CLUTCH AND THEY SAID IT WOULDNT HAVE WARRANTY CAUSE ITS A RACING CLUTCH I SAY NEITHER DOES UR STOCK CLUTCH HAVE WARRANTY I HATE NISSAN HONESTLY ITS NOT THE CLUTCH OR DRIVER ITS ALL TRANNY ISSUES STOP TRYING TO FIND THE PROB I ALREADY KNOW WHAT IT IS DEFECTIVE SYNCS
    Please stop using all CAPS. First of all, in forums, that is interpreted as yelling. And, second of all, it makes your posts VERY HARD TO READ. I suffered through and read the first one, but just skipped the 2nd.

• I just wanted to clarify the downshifting issue, since I love to downshift. Are you heal to toe revmatching when you down shift, or just letting the clutch out slowly when you downshift to slow down? If they have an issue with rev matching downshifts, they are full of crap.
  • RevMatching w/ a combo of Heal to toe and letting the clutch out slowly. I follow the RPMs very closly when I drive either upshifting or downshifting...

CloneDNA

;)
  • intenceintence Posts: 32
    I've read on other forums that the suspension components of the '05s are slightly different. Can any '05 owners who have started putting the miles on their cars comment on tire feathering issues? What about "late model" '04 (built after March of April of '04)?
This discussion has been closed.