Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan 350Z Problems and Solutions

Comments

• texas350ztexas350z Posts: 4
    The dealer said the front tires for sure....

Do you think the brake issue is related to tires??

My dealer has been NO help whatsoever. When I called about the problem and said I think this is part of the ongoing problem they have had with tires his response was "we don't make the cars ma'am"....

I feel totally screwed by the dealer, Tom Peacock Nissan in Houston, and by Nissan, who also is not admitting to the ongoing defect and only paying a portion for tire replacement.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,887
    well, is it brakes at all 4 corners? Or just the front? Is it pads and rotors? or just pads? 16k on front pads isn't unheard of, but are you sure the dealer isn't replacing them prematurely? I mean, its better to do them early rather than risking ruining your rotors, but I've had places tell me its time to replace when they have more than a quarter of their life left in them.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• siphuzsiphuz Posts: 6
    Does anyone know anything about upgrading their suspensions to either aftermaket or NISMO and having that solve the tire feathering problem?? I just got my 03 Touring this week - it has about 19,000 miles on it and I am noticing the tire noise when slowing down from 20 - 30 mph. I will be taking the car to the dealership next week but with all the "temporary-fix/condition worsening" horror stories - i'm debating whether or not to go through with the suspension upgrades to totally eliminate the problem. I think the cost of the Nismos are $1800, parts only. If it is a permanent fix - i'll head to the dealership, have them align it, slapp on some new tires, then get the Nismo suspensions upgraded at my buddies car shop. Any thoughts?? :confuse:
    I have not heard a definitive answer to this on the Z boards. I have yet to find a post from any one person who says "yes, i had the feathering problem, installed the suspension, and now no feathering for the past 20K miles."

• tacomaboytacomaboy Posts: 35
    :cry:

15000 miles, bought the car new in November. I am on my second transmission, and now the second transmission is grinding in 5th and 6th gear.

-my transmission is garbage as stated above
    -my seat shifts incessantly
    -my rear wiper nozzle leaks on acceleration (only a bit)
    -my rear axles click like a rattle spray paint can on crak
    -my paint is chipping on the sides and the roof, despite the fact that I paid 600 bucks for a clearbra
    -my seat fabric is wearing out..
    -my front tires are feathering and roar when coming to a stop (at around 25 mph)

I no longer want this car.... I dont care how much fun it is to drive, and how pretty it is.

I pay 511 a month for it, and people driving by have LAUGHED at me because of the grinding transmission. I am sure I look real cool accelerating fast with washer fluid leaking all over my window, my transmission grinding and my axles clicking.
    Sorry to hear all that. Sounds like you've had EVERY somewhat common problem I've heard of on these cars.

I'm REALLY surprised you bought a Murano after being so disappointed in your Z. If I had all of those problems, I'd be turned off of Nissan altogether.

I bought the Murano before I had these issues... the Mo has 6k miles on it and the Z has 15k.

Had I known, no way in he|| I would have done this.

So far (knock on wood) the Mo has only had two minor problems, the alignment has gone off twice (this may not be minor, but hopefully it is) and the sun visors rattle...
  • nmznmz Posts: 1
    We have a 2004 350Z and have experienced this low level grinding when applying the brakes. The problem is that it comes and goes. We took it to the dealer when it was doing it and the mechanic said it was loose bolts on the control arms. It went away for awhile, but has come back. Did you ever find out the root cause of your problem?
  • I have an issue with my car. When I shift into fourth gear sometimes I get quite a bit of vibration I can feel in the stick. It's hard to describe actually. It almost feels as if the transmission/clutch are slipping or having a hard time getting fully engaged. I thought I might have the clutch issue some have mentioned, but it's always fourth gear that I feel it. Today doing some hard accelleration it was really bad going into fourth, the whole car vibrated that time.

The wierd thing is it doesn't do it all the time, sometimes the car feels totally solid when engaging in fourth. Two questions, do you think it is the clutch or the gear? The second is, the only thing I do different about 4th gear is that doing hard accellerations in town, I usually just shift from 2nd to 4th when I hit 45 MPH since that is going to be my cruise speed in town. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

TACOMABOY:

I had the rear axle issue you talk about too. They replaced both right and rear side underwarranty since it is a known issue in the 03 and 04 models. I bought my 04.5 Roadster in Nov and have 11,0000 miles on it. Will they not replace those for you. Also did you have to pay for the transmission or did they cover it, and how much did it cost.
    i don't think its a clutch issue since, as you mentioned, you would most likely feel it in more than one gear. I would have them check out your tranny. MANY folks have had their transmissions replaced under warranty. Usually for grinding in 3rd and 5th.

So far, South Point Nissan of Austin has taken care of me very well...

I recommend them, though they havent been perfect. Well see how this round goes.

So far I have had NO out of pocket for any of this.

Also, keep in mind the Z transmission is NOTCHY... it may feel wierd.

However in my case, it would crrrrrruuunch when shifting with vigor into 5th or 6th. It starts small, barely noticable, so you may develop this problem. You still have plenty of warranty left (60k), so wait and see if it really is a problem.

I have not heard a diagnosis yet from South Point... I notified them abuot the tires, the transmission, and the axles. I expect at least:
    a new transmission
    new axle bearings
    rotated/replaced tires

And after my wife called and let them know how upset we were, they did pay out of pocket for a rental... so now I am styling in a Kia Sedona Minivan... I hope the new transmission comes in soon.

The thing is this... I know its a sports car, but I expected a Nissan to be solid... if I were fine with my car being in the shop and driving around a loaner, I would have bought BMW...
  • Thanks Gbrozen and Tacomaboy,

After some more diagnostic driving I find it happens mostly above 3700 with power applied in fourth. If I shift prior to 3500 rpm into fourth it is very solid, but even after being fully engaged when I accellerate into that RPM range, the stick really starts to shake. I don't know if it's some harmonic vibration unique to that gear at that engine RPM or what.

1st, 2nd and 3rd are always great, I haven't been at a place where I can take 5th and 6th gear up to 4000 to see if it vibrates in those gears too.

I'm going to see if it gets worse and definitely take it in sometime to have them check it out. I just don't want to wait to long, incase they might try to pin it on me.
    having them pin it on me would be my fear, too. I would take it to them ASAP. Even if they can't duplicate the problem or tell you its not a problem or whatever, at least you will officially be on record as stating the problem. That way, if it does develop into a bigger problem, you have proof that it started earlier and they just didn't fix it.

if its only vibrating then its not a problem. the engine is mated to the transmission, and when you hot 3700 RPMs the engine will shake, and therfore so will the tranny, and the stick.

But if its making a grinding noise, or if it grinds when changing gears, then it is a problem.
    Well.. my third transmission will be here on Thursday.

I am seriously screwed here. Even if it works fine, I refuse to keep this car past warranty, and at 60k miles, when I try to sell it, and when the buyer finds out I have had 3+ transmissions, I will lose my butt.

If I sell now, I will be 1-2k in the red on my loan. Maybe more. And thats not counting the lost 2k down payment.

My only idea is to either now, or when the problem recurrs (I have a feeling it will be at, oh 22500 miles) that I invoke the lemon law, offer mediation, or sue.

My attorney/dad suggested that I discuss this with the GM, and offer to let him buy back my car... preferabally at near what I owe. Then in return I will buy another Nissan (and I told him I will never buy another 350Z) in return.

Problem with this is... would YOU buy another Nissan? I am already in dread that my wifes Murano will do something awful, how could I sleep well at night after buying a THIRD Nissan?

Also, the dealer at this point isnt under any obligation. They have upheld their end, and repaired my car. Why should they take a loss or reduce potential profit. The culprit here is NISSAN itself.

Still.. my theory is the squeaky wheel gets the grease, so the salesmanager/GM will likely be hearing from me with an offer...

but what the heck would I replace it with? Dangit all!!!!

By the way, it is now my official recommendation that NO ONE EVER EVER BUY A 350Z!

As for the Murano, so far its been prety good. Minor alignment problem, and rattling visors. Also, the rear suspension isnt as strong as I would like. It sags if you load a bit too much weight in it, but considering its not a pathfinder...

hmm.. maybe I should get a pathfinder...
    Z to a pathfinder?? That's rather extreme.

Anyway, if this is the route you want to go, find out if they have any other stores under the same ownership. I don't find it all too common that a particular owner sells just ONE brand of vehicle.

By the way, just to contrast your reccomendation, I still LOVE my Z! :)

If that's true, then why doesn't it shake at those rpms in any other gear?

If the description is accurate, I think there is more to this. Mine certainly doesn't shake at any rpms in any gear (other than the slight vibration that would obviously be caused by the engine at any speed or rpms).

• Mine does only vibrate, no grinding. All gears vibrate some from the engine rpm, but it's noticeably different in fourth gear at 3700+.

Tacoma, I've certainly had more problems with my Z than any other car I have owned. However I still have to say I love my Z, and as long as they fix it for free, I can handle it. It looks like my tires will last at least 15,000 miles, so I don't consider the feathering issue to be too bad. Bottom line I am totally addicted to my car. This is the first car I've owned that I never want to get rid of.

However if I had 3 tranny replacements as well as everything else you had, I would start getting tired of it too.

As far as nissan's go, I have owned three others that I just loved, and never gave me any grief(98 Altima, 01 Sentra SE, 01 Pathfinder LE). So I think there are good chances your Murano will do just fine.

I hate to see you give up on the thrills and chills of a sport's car, but if another Z is out of the question I would recommend an S2000 or an STI. The STI has four door practicality as well as the 4 wheel drive and it totally smokes, the looks are definitely not mainstream, but anybody that knows anything about cars will respect what they can do.

Anyway good luck with the Tranny, after the third time, I would say there has to be some issue in the entire setup that is causing them to fail. I think Lemon is definitely the way to go.
    Actually, S2000 is now at the top of my list (and my wifes favorite). I think I should have gotten one from the get go. (Pathfinder is only if I have to go with another Nissan)

The Z is a fun car, and its beautiful, and I love my Z. But now I also hate it. And the right thing to do is to get a car that I will only love. You know we work HARD to pay for our cars guys, and I dont think we should have to accept the flaws some of us are finding in our Zs. Even if Nissan replaces it, if they cant FIX it with the replacement then whats the point?
  • Glad to hear you are still looking at driving thrills if at all possible. I definitely don't blame you for wanting to bail on Nissan. I don't mind the payments on my car becuase it I love it so much, but in your case it would be a constant bad reminder.

Good luck with everything!
This discussion has been closed.