Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan 350Z Problems and Solutions

Comments

• jmillsjmills Posts: 77
    Because I have the 350 Z track I cannot use the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on my Z- they do not make the tire in 18 inch sizes to fit it. I put them on our 04 Mazda 3 and they are awesome.

We owned an older Nissan Sentra which was extremely reliable, went 175,000 miles before we replaced it.

I really like the 350 Z, my only complaint is the Extremely poor dealer and factory service.
  • The dealer has to be part of the purchase decision. As far as this product (350Z Touring, automatic) goes it is excellent. I have had no problem with the Z. I do run Michelin pilot tires. I have 89k on my 2003 and have had no problems. Just had brake pads replaced and they turned the rotors, and 83k on my Volvo they replace the rotors. I've had many Nissans and I have a great relationship will the dealer. My 86'Z has 184k and is still going strong, everything still works on it, even the clock still works. I did have a problem with a transmission is a 94' Pathfinder and Nissan replaced it at no cost to me. I have an 06' Frontier on order to replace my 03' Frontier, sticking with my Nissans. If I replace the Volvo it will be with a Maxima. My car plan calls for a Roadster in '07.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,408
    We have not lost any companies in this country that did not deserve to go out of business.

That's certainly a matter of opinion. I'd LOVE to have Alfa back, for one. My '86 Spider is quite reliable at almost 20 years old and approaching 100k miles. I wasn't even aware such a company existed when they were selling new cars here in the states, but it is my understanding that the poor dealer network contributed greatly to their demise ... Nissan certainly has a stronger presence than Alfa ever did, however.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

I'm glad to see some supporters and those who have not had reliability problems coming forth. Its a shame when someone researches a car and finds nothing but negative comments when there really are many many happy owners out there.

Alpha - owned by Fiat - is reported to be in the process of re-entering the US market in 2006/2007.

Poor dealer networks, as you state, can certainly result in withdrawal from the market, as can a poorly designed or executed product.

Unfortunately the manufacturer is still responsible for their dealer network' and deserves to succeed or fail based on their performance.

Twenty years and 100,000 miles certainly speaks well of your Alpha and is a far more valid judgment of a product than that of one who owned a car for a few months and a few thousand miles.
    I'm not banking on Alfa coming back. I think the early reports were 2004, then it was bumped to 2006, then 2007. I think I read 2010 at one point. Who the heck knows. But now that GM pulled the plug on their deal with Fiat, I've stopped holding my breath. Too bad. :(

"Sergio Marchionne, the Italian-Canadian finance expert who took over Fiat Auto , plans to bring Alfa Romeo back to the United States as soon as 2007, say suppliers and others. Until it left the U.S. market in 1995, Alfa Romeo had sold cars there since 1952.
    Alfa executives plan to recruit established U.S. dealers. They believe Maserati's U.S. network is too small and too upscale" Per Autoweek Magazine
    one can only hope.

I'm afraid their current FWD setups are going to hurt them here, however, at their (most likely) high pricepoint. Their hatchback (is it still the 147?) could be a good alternative to a Volvo V50 or Audi A3 ... BUT, a FWD spider for, say $45k, is going to pale in comparison to a 350z, for instance (like how i brought us back to the topic? ;) ).

• Glad to hear the Michelin's gave you no headaches. If I may make a suggestion on your 06 decision, I can't recommend the Roadster enough. From strictly a looks standpoint I think the Z blows away the G's, but I know others who think the opposite. However, from a thrill aspect, I think the Roadsters can't be touched. I debated between the Coupe and the Roadster(I always wanted a Roadster, but wasn't sure about the cost). All I can say is that about 80% of the thrill of my Z is with the top down. I literally get chills everytime I think how close I came to getting the coupe instead.

I'm sure it depends on where you live, I live in Denver and still get to go top down year round. The aerodynamics make driving topless at 50 degrees and sunny not a problem at all.

That's my opinion, but I think the Roadster is worth every extra cent and then some!
  • When I was looking back in '03 my decision came down between the G and the Z. I was considering the G cause there are times when I need a back seat. However, I never got to drive the G, and the Nissan salesman was friendlier, and bent over backwards for me. And as I mentioned when I drove the Z it was over!

I live outside of Virgina Beach and the weather is great with mild winters, my only concern with the roadster, is that I am 6'4" and I wonder if the wind will be blowing all in my face and around my head. Anyway, I do plan on test driving a roadster, and if all goes right, I will purchase one in January, where I expect they will just be sitting on the lot until springtime when they will become a hot commodity.
  • I am 6'2", but I actually sit taller than some of my 6'4" friends. The aerodynamics are great on the car, but I definitely get the hair blown look after driving it with the top down.

The height issue is what really helped me to decide on the roadster. The coupe actually rubbed the top of my hair, the roadster actually has a little more headroom with the top up.
  • Now that's interesting, I have plenty of head room in the coupe. However; when I sat in the G with the sunroof, my head almost touched the roof, which really surprised me. I had expected the G to be roomier.
  • scantyscanty Posts: 171
    The December issue of Road & Track has info on the tire wear issue. It's a response to a reader question on their long term test vehicle, a 2003 IIRC. Their solution was to add MORE toe, on the theory that the suspension bushings were softer than spec'd, which allows more compression, altering the alignment. They had to work with a suspension shop, as the amount of toe they needed was beyond the allowable limits from Nissan, and the dealer woouldn't do it.
  • Hmmm, gee I don't know about that one. Last November, I purchased a 4 Michelin Pilot/Sport All Seasons. Prior to having them installed I took the car in to the dealer in Norfolk Va, and they did a 4 wheel computer laser alignment. Well that was about 27K miles ago, and no feathering, or tire roar.

When they did the alignment, they gave me a printout of the readings before and after the alignment. Prior to the alignment, the car was way out of spec. When they finished it was back in spec. Now what I didn't ask, was did they spec it out to the new specs. Based on what I've been hearing, Nissan changed the specs.

One of the things that I have found with with my Nissan Dealer's maintenance people, is that they must have been given the company "party line" when it comes to the Z. I was told that "they put cheap tires on the car, that's why you get the feathering and tire roar" Well at around 200 a pop, I don't think they're cheap tires. Another time, I was told, "Well the suspension on the car is very temperamental, you'll have to get it aligned every 6 months, or 6K miles." Yeah right.
  • If you have never had any problem with your Mazda, your Acura, or your Subaru, how can you comment on the factory support for those cars? Do you demand factory support even for products that are performing flawlessly? "Hello, this is gbrozen. I just wanted to tell you I am delighted with my Mazda/Acura/Subaru, and I demand to see a factory representative about it"?

What is really going on here?
    What is going on here?

I am commenting on Nissan factory support because they refused to send a factory rep to look at my rear view mirror. I had to go to the BBB and arbitration to get it replaced. The arbitrator had an ASE certified tech check the mirror and declared it defective, and Nissan finally replaced the mirror.

My 350Z has had two defective window motors-one in and one out of warranty which cost me $550.

My 350Z had a defective gas gauge.

My 350Z is on its third set of front tires due to feathering problems which Nissan has not been able or perhaps willing to correct.

I am commenting on the fact that I had to go to four different dealers in two states and finally call the factory to get my head lights aligned.

I was told a by Nissan Factory rep that I must find a dealer to declare the problems, that unlike other car manufacturers they do not send factory reps to look at cars.

I did contact the Factory with Questions on my Acura and on the Subaru.

I received an immediate concerned response from both Acura and Subaru.

I contacted Mazda factory support concerning the availability of a roof rack, and again received an immediate response.

I have no complaints with my Acura,Mazda, or Subaru dealers, they know the cars and service them superbly.

It has taken me two years and six dealers to find a Nissan dealer which gives satisfactory service.

Now-What exactly is realy going on with you?
    whoa!

why is my name in that quote? Are you talking to Jmills or to me???

• I live in a area that gets ice for about 3 months out of the year. I'm worried the automatic window down feature when you open door is going to break something due to window froze. Any help? First time on a forum.
    the motor really isn't strong enough to break anything. It just won't be able to lower if the ice is thick enough to hold the window in place.

happens all the time on any car with power windows. You get in and, for some reason (maybe paying a toll), you try to use the power window and it gives out a little grunt, but just won't lower. No harm, no foul.

• Questioning the automatic let down of windows when you open doors if the windows are frozen over with ice. Seems this would cause something to break inside door. Any ideas? Anybody have issues with this. Haven't had Z for only 1 month, first encounter with this. Any way to override this feature temporarily?
  • dat2dat2 Posts: 242
    wow no activity for nearly a month then 6 posts! :)
  • My apologies gbrozen. Yes, I was talking to Jmills. I am new to the discussion board and picked the wrong hyperlink for my response.
  • I have a 2003 Pikes Peak White Touring and like man of you, i have had the tire feathering problem in which i had the front tires replaced as well as an alignment in accordance with the bulletin. it has been over 5,000 miles so far and the problem has not returned, however i avoid pot-holes and cracks in the road like the avian virus because i fear that it may throw-off the alignment causing the feathering to re occur. What's the longest anyone has gotten, mileage wise, before having to get the problem corrected again??

I was also toying with the idea of replacing my wheels with deep-dish premium wheels and of course the question of whether or not the tire plays a role in the feathering, or is it just the alignment, comes to me as a concern. Then there's the 19" upgrade notion and how will this affect the potential feathering issue. I would much appreciate any insight from anyone who has replaced their wheels - negative or positive.

Lastly, can anyone describe the so called "choppy transmission"? I too am noticing that the transition from 1st gear to 2nd isn't quite so smooth. Are you guys experiencing any noises, ie. crunching, or grinding?? I am wondering if i should address this to my dealer or is it just how it is with all Z's.

Is it wrong to love my Z more than my girlfriend...i think not!
    How do you like the Michelin Pilot sport A/S on your Z?

Do they handle and respond as well as the original Bridgestones?

I have been considering the Michelins because of the higher wear number and would appreciate any input you can give me.
    The tire feathering does not seem to reduce mileage, it just gets very noisy.

I am on my third set of front tires, from Nissan.

Nissan warrants the alignment for 36 months from your date of purchase and unlimited mileage, so Nissan dealers should re-align at no cost.

Nissan will replace feathering tires,prorating for tread depth on the OEM tires and wheel only, so I would stay with the factory wheels and tires until the 36 month limit.

My transmission has always been "crunchy" from first to second. If you have a very good dealer I would ask them to look at it.

Some people say they get new transmissions- some are told that is just the way it is live with it.
  • I know the feathering does not reduce mileage, but what i meant was - how soon did you have to come back to the dealer and have to do the TSB alignment and replace the tires again? I had mine completed at about 19,000 miles and now i am at 25,000 miles with no sign of feathering so far (Thank god).

On another note - has anyone put on a grounding wire kit on their Z yet? They say that you can get at least 5 hp gains and added torque, but i was wondering if anyone can back that up. Thinking about buying the NISMO or Stillen brand, but they are around $120 a pop. :confuse:
    My tires were replaced the first time with about 18k on them and the second time with 20k on the tires.

Everything I have seen on 350Z forums indicates absolutely no horsepower gain from grounding wire kits when checked before and after on dynomometers!!!

Sounds like a waste of money based on the forums and independent Dyno tests.

Since independent Dyno test by SportZ mag show a max of 8 HP gain with true dual exhausts, it is extremely difficult to see how wires could ever gain 5HP
  • Wow! I can't believe all these posts on here. I took my 2005 350z to Nissan last week. Had to have a new clutch at 12,000 easy driving miles. Of course, not covered under the warranty. I've had the car back 5 days and about 450 miles later, the clutch is going out again. This is the 11th z car i've had, but it will be my last one.
  • Please tell me the lawyer's name.....i think I'm going to need him!
  • blawsonblawson Posts: 19
    Do you have the 5 or 6 speed manual transmission? I am looking at getting a 2006 Z but may not due to all the problems with the suspension and transmission. I am trying to figure out if the problem with the transmission is limited to the 5 speed manuals?

Have you had the feathering issue on your 2005?
This discussion has been closed.