Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan 350Z Problems and Solutions

Comments

• zztop3zztop3 Posts: 23
    I hate to come off as rude BUT I wrote a very long and, I think, a well thought out response to the fellow who was looking for info on the 2003 Z.

I made a mistake and moved into cost which he was not even asking about and then
    You jumped on my singular statement where I suggested to look at KBB wich was only meant as a starting place to look at what that Z might be worth.

I am done with this back and forth discussion as it is serving no purpose for the orignal intended poster.

Perhaps when I come back looking for advise as to how to maximize return on my Z when I go to sell it when the Hemi Dodge Challenger comes out in a year or so, I will come back here for furthur dicussions on who has the best stupid book on pricing.

Until then, I am out of here.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,690
    ah, now i see the problem. You are being oversensitive. I didn't "jump" on anything. I merely wanted to correct what I felt would be an error in judgement on the part of a buyer. That's what discussions are all about, are they not? I sincerely apologize if you got your feelings hurt, as that was not my intention in the least. I come here to be an informed car-savvy kind of guy, and I assume that's why others are here, so I share information as much as I can. Its that simple.

Oh, and, by the way, "I hate to come off as rude" ???
    ummm... then you might want to try avoiding saying things like:
    "Please Do your homework before posting wrong information."
    and
    "You gotta admit that your logic is very,very funny." (this one is from the regular 350z board)

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,986
    It becomes a lot easier to avoid bent feelings if ideas are attacked rather than people. Just take the "you" out of your reply and replace it with an "it" and magic occurs :P

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

I agree, and I try to do that. In my original reply, I attacked KBB ... but there's just no way to know what exactly will offend some people.

• biancarbiancar Posts: 913
    Here's a problem, or shall I say a challenge, looking for an answer.

Has anyone used either seat covers or car covers on their 350 roadsters? My car has a black interior that I know is going to get very hot, and I'd like to get some sort of seat cover that's a step up from throwing a beach towel on it, but less than super-duper, sheepskin (sheepskin?? In the summer????) seat covers.

I saw some canvas ones on line, but they had a big notice that they can't be used if you have side airbags, which my car has.

Also, since my car won't be garaged while at the beach, I'd like to have some sort of cover to use at night. The blowing sand there can sometimes be nasty, and I'd like to protect both the paint and the top from getting sand in its workings. Anyone have any experience with any sort of cover?
    I think you'll find most seat covers can't be used with side airbags. I suppose maybe one that just hangs off the headrest (??).

ah... quick search and found these:
    http://www.misssideless.com/homepage.html

although they are sheepskin. personally, I like the nomex covers. I wonder if you could find those in a sideless design.

Cool, thanks very much!
    oh, man, don't thank me yet. Did you check the prices? I just looked now. Over $300 for a pair! Ouch!

I don't know what the deal is with these folks. They talk the talk, but I can't find prices or a chart listing what cars they make their covers for:
    http://www.dezarnaud.com/anglais/index_ang.html

These guys will do a custom job, it seems. Probably expensive, though:
    http://www.seatcoverworld.com.au/airbags.htm

• dbrasherdbrasher Posts: 17
    if it has the alignment problem the tires wear out on the inside between 10,000 and 12,000 miles.I just done a lemon law on an 2004 was on my third set of front tires at 20,000 plus front brakes at 20,000. You wont know by driving it as they drive fine you just hear a roaring noise between 20 to 40 miles an hour.
  • ellie7ellie7 Posts: 2
    Hello,

We have a 2005 Touring. Nav. system cover does not open and close as it should, sometimes gets stuck half-way, sometimes would not open or close at all. Dealership cannot figure out what's wrong. Anybody had the same problem? Thanks.
    hmmm... ya know, this problem is VAGUELY familiar. I believe, and don't quote me on this, I heard that the door can warp slightly and cause this problem. I do believe I have read of one or 2 folks having the door replaced to fix the problem.

• ellie7ellie7 Posts: 2
    Thank you very much for your reply. Nice to know we are not alone. Dealership just replaced the door, and it still does not work. They said they would call techical support at headquarters trying to figure out what to do.
  • kvetkvet Posts: 5
    350Z is one yr old, 11,000 mi. As soon as car is washed within days I'm getting carbon on front wheel rims. Have asked dealer and he says thats the way it is. Is this right?
    yes, brake dust is unavoidable.

• Hey if i put, some header's, into my nissan 350z along a catback, then how much hp will i get out of them to the rearwheel?
    combine it with a popcharger (intake) and you might get 10-15 extra hp.

These cars are tough to eek more power out of without going forced induction. There is also a high-rise intake plenum available that I hear might fetch another 7 hp or so.

So, complete new exhaust and complete new intake system might get you ~20 hp. Its an awful lot of dough for little gain.

• For some reason every time I put my 350z in reverse I get a clicking noise. I hear the same clicking noise when I put it drive and step on the gas. I only hear this when i first turn on the car and move it. So i end up hearing it every morning before i go to work and when i go home from work. I also hear a clicking noise when the car is in park and I step on the break. I hear this clicking noise comming from the gear shaft on the center consol. You can actually feel the clicking on the gear handle when you press on the break when your in Park (P) position. It sounds like when you tap glass bottles together or someting to that effect. Another thing i have going on with my 350z is that when it rains or i wash the car, water comes in through the driver side window and gets into the speaker thats near the mirror. Some water also gets into the door handle.

I fixed my brake dust problem by changing brakes. Don't buy the OEM Brakes.

Don't under estimate the TCS because even when it's on, you can still slip. The other day I stepped on it on a green light and my car slipped onto the other lane. The SPLIP signal never Blinked.

To fix the limited rear mirror visability I bought those Round, blind spot, mini mirros that are about a 1 1/2 inch in diamiter. They have a stickiy thing on the back so there easy to apply to the original mirror. Sitting up straight also helps. Too some it may feel a little unconfortable but it helps. By doing this you can see farther back.

Im not about to give up on my 350z so please if anybody knows anything on how to fix these problems let me know.
  • Boy, am I glad I am not the only one with problems with the windows....but sorry that others are or have experienced the same. I just called the dealer to take it in tomorrow, was told it could be 1 of 3 things...the motor, the switch or the program. It's my drivers side window, would not open a/t's and then today it opened and on its own ! Now it wont go up ! Whew..what a mess...cant go out now because I cant close the window !
  • dat2dat2 Posts: 245
    Hi Z folks:

I have had my 05 touring since last fall, and now have 18,000 miles on it. Since it was new I have had a moderate clutch chatter on take off, which the dealer states is either not noted or normal operation (2 different visits). I am concerned about premature clutch wear. I have had many nissans in the past, including my second car, a 96 240sx with 175,000 miles currently on the original clutch (and most everything else). I would like to think it is normal but from my experience that is usually a sign of oil on the disk.

I developed a tolerable tire roar at about 12,000 miles and continues at 18,000, it hasn't gotten untolerable yet. I understand there is no tire warranty on the 05, and this seems within normal wear for summer tires that can't be rotated. But I wanted to get other people's opinions on the tire wear.

One other note is I seem to get a little sick from the A/C system, usually when I roll the windows down I feel better. Not sure if this could be mold or what. Has anyone else noticed anything similar?

No other problems to report, beyond the normal complaints of chipped paint and lots of brake dust. I normally get 27-28 mpg on the hiway, and am overall very happy with this car! I don't have any complaints about the ride quality either. :)
    Sounds like you have the coupe?

Look at your tires' wear patterns. Tire feathering and alignment problems were common on the '03's, not so much on later years but not unknown, either. That is covered by a Technical Service Bulletin. Take it to your dealer and have them fix it.

The A/C sounds like mold. Does it smell funny? I've never had that kind of a problem, but there are cleaning products that you can use. Do a search on-line. Also you might want to look at the my350z site for info.
  • Just an fyi, I took my 2003Z to the dealer today, my driverside window was acting up too, would not go down..and then 2 weeks later went down on its own ! They replaced the motor, but since I have 40,000 miles it is not included in the warranty ! Costing me $370-$395 ! Geesh Louise ! First he quoted me the higher amount, then he corrected it to $370. I will see what really happens when I go to pick it up! I did have the fuel line replaced under the recall too... now I am going to email Nissan....because I am so disappointed ! I mean really, the car is only 3 yrs old...and I baby it ! No reason for this motor to go out !
    Yes, it is the coupe. The stability is still very good on the hiway and the wheel remains straight ahead, no wheel shimmy either, so not sure it isn't just normal wear. But I will try once again to get them to get me some new tires. They already refused to since it is not covered since it is an 05. Thanks for the tips!
    hmmm... wish i still had a link to that TSB. I'm pretty sure the '05 was also covered ... but I think it the length of coverage was a bit different than the '03/'04.

• oradivaoradiva Posts: 1
    Hi. I'm having same problem with my driver window. Which of the 3 was it? Was it fixed free? Thanks.
  • weclarkweclark Posts: 1
    My 6 speed manual Z had a clicking/ringing noise on both axles too. At 14,800 miles, I asked the dealer to check it. They found a warranty issue and recommended fix on this problem. They removed the rear axles, marked it's position, greased the spline, reversed the axel position 180 degrees, reassembled and the noise was gone. Take it back to the dealer for this service.
  • kalakala Posts: 9
    I have a 2006Z with 1,000 miles. My shift from first to second is not as smooth as my shifts from second to third, third to fourth, etc. I'm not sure if this is the right description, but it also has a slight chatter as I'm releasing the clutch. This only occurs when shifting from first to second. My shift is around 2,000 - 2,500 RPM. Its not as noticeable at higher RPMs. Before I take it in to the dealer, can anyone tell me if this is normal or is something possibly wrong?
    I think this must be normal on the Zs. I have an 05 now with 19,000 miles and since new its had a chatter when releasing the clutch, the whole car shakes a bit. I have taken it to the dealer and they couldn't detect anything. It is annoying but I have gotten used to it now.
  • Hi,
    Mike in Fl. Here. I was rubbing the was off of my 04 E the other day. As I removed the wax from the Passengers door, middle and just a little forward the windows both came down on there on. Help if possible or did I just hot the magic spot? I reached in thru the window and pulled the button back up and nothing happened. I got into the drivers side, put the key into the ignition and rolled them back up, no further incidents since.

Mike
  • kalakala Posts: 9
    dat2 thanks for your response. I need to correct what I said in my first email. The chatter occurs when I'm engaging and not releasing the clutch when shifting from first to second. And it occurs around 2500 - 3000 RPM. It also doesn't occur every time; but more so when the car is still cold. It shifts okay, but just doesn't sound normal, like something is loose. If my dealer finds something is wrong, I'll let you know. Thanks again.
  • Well it was my motor...they replaced it and I had to pay for it...$385 I think was the total...I have taken it back 2x since ! When you open the door the window is supposed to go down a few inches and then close automatically. Well, apparently the service dept DIDNT do that properly - the window was wobbling and hitting the top of the car frame..I brought it back & they adjusted it-the wobbling stopped but the window still does not go down the same distance as it did originally. I took it back again...they tried AGAIn and still cant get it to drop the same distance as it was designed from the beginning. SO I have to accept it as is...or until I find a really qualified NISSAN mechanic. I did call Nissan too...but that's a waste of time. My 2nd problem is I went to DISCOUNT TIRE and replaced all tires and they scratched the heck out of my wheels....so now they are going to repair them somehow.
This discussion has been closed.