Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan 350Z Problems and Solutions

Comments

• jwilson1jwilson1 Posts: 956
    The hood chips easily because the paint on the car is water-based, per EPA decisions against traditional techniques. Your bumper will chip as easily even tho it's not aluminum. JW
  • jaquinojaquino Posts: 90
    I thought the 350Z is built in Japan, are they subject to the EPA over there?

Does Nissan have to abide to the EPA regulations before they can sell it here, even though the car is not built here?
    Nissan USA for sales which occur in America. It's a legal thing, I guess, and I also would guess you're right that it is required for sale in-country. This statement is not, however, binding on the party of the first part and you should consult an attorney for its applicability to your situation. JW
  • zgirl1zgirl1 Posts: 11
    Thanks for the tips on the dash noise issue. I have had it at two seperate dealerships where the technicians heard the noise but either couldn't later duplicate it without me (although they sat in the car with me and heard it and said it's not a big deal to fix)or didn't have a clue what to do about it. I am going to fill out the lemon law papers to get them to fix it. It's such a small issue you'd think they would want to fix it and be done with it. I have carboard in the dash now and it's quiet. haha nice to pay that much for a brand new car and have cardboard in the dash.

Also, my hood and front bumper has a plethora of paint chips out of it. I drive 1000 a week and never had a chip out of my mercedes but have huge ones out of this car. Very dissapointing. I'm wondering if I should touch them up or just leave them. I don't want any rust issues.
  • eblumeblum Posts: 52
    Seems that paint chipping is a common complaint with Nissans. Don't you think they would do something already about this??? Hello, Nissan, are you listening?

The funny thing is the 2000 Maxima brochure shows them shooting diamonds at the paint to test its chip resistance...man, that is the best PR B.S. in a long time.

Does anyone know if the volume of 350's produced this year will increase or remain the same?
  • I have a grease rag in the dash of my 92 corvette and it has been there since it was less than a year old. The ducting in the center was rubbing against the inside of the dash and that was their fix. So, don't feel bad about a little cardboard...
  • The EPA has banned the use of chromates and lead in paint. Since this is the case there is a problem with the paint sticking to the layer of primer below. And, since the primer is non-chromate it does not self etch as the old kind. Also, since the chromates have been removed it does not allow the paint to fuse to the primer it is only an adhesive bond. If the paint is struck with enough force it just chips off. Can't fight the EPA so get a bra or the 3M covering. Or, you can keep back from trucks and hope for the best. I have already invested in the touchup paint for my 2003 350Z that is Readline Red. If you are going to buy a 350Z get a solid color for the paint and the touchups do not show as much.
    I don't hear these chipping complaints in the same volume from other non-Nissan owners that I hear it from Nissan customers. I do know about the EPA changes but do not think that this solely are the cause of Nissan's paint issues...I think there are other factors involved.

As far as bras, they are crap IMHO. Had one on for 1 day and it scratched my car. I made sure it was as clean as possible before putting it on,
    but it is impossible to stop dirt, sand, etc from getting behind it. My next car will have the 3M product applied....
    for complaints re: paint durability and finish in other cars, check out forums devoted to Subaru, Mercedes, Chrysler products, Jaguar, Porsche, Honda, Chevrolet .... you get my drift, I hope. JW
    I will take a look at some other boards again. I usually look at other threads and I never really saw many discussions about paint issues on other cars...but I will look again....

I also can compare my Maxima to my 1996 Dodge Ram and 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix. Both vehicles had no where close to the same paint issues as the Maxima. Unfortunately, neither were built as well, so that's why they are gone....
  • zzz350zzz350 Posts: 44
    The problem with the paint chipping can be summed up by saying,"It's your tax dollars in action", the EPA has eliminated quality of paint over a ridiculous overkill of lead paint conformity BS. What will be next, cars won't be allowed to have enough torque to smoke the tires because of the health risk associated with inhaling burnt rubber fumes. The madness continues, sheesh.
  • Someone was inquiring about too much base at times. I had this same problem & brought it to the dealer & it is the noise regulator inside the vehicle that listens to lower/raise the volume of the radio when you stop. It had to be replaced so far on all the z's in my area.
  • I definitely agree with one of the above msg that the paint chip issue is likely not the result of the new EPA requirements. I have checked other car forums and paint chips was never an issue that was brought up for their cars.
    Vonsud: can you help me find the Technical Service Bulletin on the dash rattle issue? I can't seem to find it or anything related to that issue, and I need it for arbitration . I would appreciate your help, or anyone else for that matter. Nissan removed the windshield to put the insulation or whatever their fix is however it has done nothing to alleviate the problem.
    zgirl, I'd try a search at MY350Z.com. There used to be a faq there on TSBs and though I haven't been there recently the people will be very happy to answer your question if you can't find it with a search.

Best, JW
    thanks so much, unfortunately I am also on that site and although there are lots of complaints on the issue there no one seems to really be educated on it.
    Eric, I have the link I can't seem to find any issue relating to that problem on there. Sudder mentioned there was a technical bullentin so I was wanting to find that specifically. Unless I'm just darn blind. LOL
    I can't find a TSB on that issue either, but check this one out:

http://alldata.com/TSB/41/03417793.html

Check out #16. This might be an all inclusive TSB.

Who are you using to represent you? I had good success with a firm in PA.

-Eric
    Eric:

Thanks so much for that. I intend on doing it myself . I do however, work for a law firm. :-)
This discussion has been closed.