Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan 350Z Problems and Solutions

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,893
    are there any adjustments in the rear? What did they do, if anything, to correct it?

i agree about keeping the OEM ... as long as they are free. I think they are horrible tires. I never found the grip to be very good in dry, wet, or snow. But, like you said, they won't replace non-OEM under warranty (which is pretty suspicious, if you ask me ... they blame the tire design, but won't let the owners change tires ... hmmmmm).

good luck with the dealer you found.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• Is everyone experiencing a slight consistant clapping noise from the engine when ever in idle, which increases in speed as the throttle is pressed? It is later drown out by the Engine noise at higher RPMs. At first i thought it was normal, but now i am starting to get worried. The noise has never increased over time, but now i am questioning whether or not this affects every Z. It sounds like when u put a piece of tape on a fan and let it spin. Any advise would help! Thanx! :confuse:
  • 7thgear7thgear Posts: 1
    hi all!

i'm new to the forum and also buying my 1st car. i've lately been trying to increase my knowledge and i'm considering a purchase of an '05 350.

i must admit i'm a little timid after reading in this forum. i need to ask based on what this site has on the '05 350 z as the 'low true cost to own' car. i saw a few posts that suggest the engine noises, transmission issues above.

not to agitate anybody or disrespect an opinion but what about the warranty? did it take care of you? my purchase of this car will be only recreation. weekends, holidays & maybe a trip to get a burger.

i've been at this quest for about 5 years saving up and i had my sights on a boxster s but called around to find it was an expensive car to maintain. 30k, 60k, 90k oil changes on that thing is around $1k from the dealer. i would need a trusted mechanic to battle that price.

i know this forum is for problems only but to all that posted so visciously is there any light in the tunnel for us that are considering an '05 z?

:confuse:
  • Claire@EdmundsClaire@Edmunds Chicago areaPosts: 968
    Hi, 7thgear,

Because this is a Problems & Solutions discussion, most of the posts you'll see here will concern problems. To get an overall view of owner experiences with this car, you might also want to visit the two discussions below:

Nissan 350Z
    Nissan 350Z: Meet the Owners

Claire

HOST

• nolamannolaman Posts: 3
    WHEN I RAISE MY WINDOW AFTER REACHING THE TO IT AUTOMATICALY MOVES DOWN ABOUT ON THIRD. SOMETIMES AS I CLOSE THE DOOR I WATCH THE WINDOW POWER ON THIRD THE WAY DOWN. IT IS NOT FALLING, IT IS MOVING DOWN BY THE MOTOR. I HAVE TO GET BACK IN THE CAR AND GO THROUGH THE PROCESS OF POWERING UP THE WINDOW AGAIN. SOMETIMES IT STAYS UP.
    I HEAR THERE IS A STEP BY STEP PROCEDURE I CAN RESET THE LOGIC IN THE WINDOW. I TOOK IT INTO NISSAN 15K MILES AGO AND THEY FIXED IT AND IT IS DOING IT AGAIN AND I AM OUT OF WARRANTY.
    PLEASE HELP.
    THANKS,
    NOLA
  • ambergrlambergrl Posts: 4
    The whole body of my car; bumper to bumper is out of alignment. I don't mean it "pulls", the hood and trunk dont appear to fit properly on the car. I took it to Nissan and it was subleted to an Auto Body Shop. Gaps might be smaller in the original places, but now I have gaps in new areas. My driver door does not close properly and the panel sounds like it is flexing when driven over speed bumps or driveways. The car has under 10,000 miles and and has spent 15 days in the shop. Nissan said all 350z ROADSTERS have this unfixable problem! Anyone suffering from similar problems? PLEASE ADVISE!!
  • polo2polo2 Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Nissan 350Z and went for an alignment. I was told that the front wheels camber was about 1
    1/4 angle and that is should be about 1/2. At about 16K a have no wear on my tires, but was told that the angle will only get worse with use. They could not adjust the front camber. My question is, does any body know what are the factory specs and limits for the front camber and how they can be adjusted? By the way, I was told by a Nissan dealer that the alignmet is not covered by the warranty. I find this hard to believe and should investigate further.
  • carla909carla909 Posts: 1
    I have the same problem as you do with my drivers window. The only thing I have figured out is to hold the button up until you hear a little click sound then turn off your car. It is a pain in the butt. I plan to have it serviced soon so I will write you back when I find out what to do. Or have you had any luck finding out? Thanks, Carla
    Thanks Carla,
    I brought the car in before and they fixed the problem, That was about eight months ago and about 18,000 miles age.
    Now it is doing it again and it is not in warranty. Nissan wants $90.00 minimum to fix it. I have an extended warranty policy and I found out it is not covered. Not really happy about that.
    I do what you recommended and I do hear the click. Try to explain that to a valet. Also, sometimes the window powers down when I close the door. I have going out in the morning and found my window partially down, glad it didn't rain.
    Once again thanks,
    nolaman
  • Well, you better check brake maintenance. I have a 350z '03 and brakes were replaced at 15k and now again at 30k. I'm trying to find out if any other 03 owners are having the same problem?????? Someone please help!!! I can't be the only one??
  • Hi there, I have a 350z 'o3 and have had to replace brakes at 15k and now again at 31k. Have you had to replace any brakes since you've owned yours.
    Sorry to say but I am not very pleased with my 2003 350Z.
    My issues are as follows:
    1. The interior fit and finish is poor. A lot of rattles in the dashboard and door. It reminds me of an American car, It kills me to say things about American products but that's been my experience. Also,I like the speedometer in the middle not the tach. I use the speedometer a lot more than the tach. Seats are nice, good support.
    2. Road noise. It is loud, very loud. When those z-rated tires get worn it is really loud.
    3. Power window problems. The window powers partially down by itself. It goes to the top then goes down about one third. Tired of bringing it back.
    The car was cheap and that's what I got.
    Good luck,
    Nolaman
  • whatthe2whatthe2 Posts: 1
    The same thing happened to my passenger side window on my 2001 pathfinder. Dealer was of no help. I'm done with nissan for now.
    i responded to your post on the Meet the Members board, so I won't repeat here.

• zztop3zztop3 Posts: 23
    Like the mod said, forums about anything which is about problems is going to not make for any use Statistic data on that item cause most of what you will get are problem reports.

I pop in occasionally to what things folks are reporting as maybe something to watch for but if you based a buying decision on a problem report forum, you would never buy anything.

I have a 2005 Z with nothing but praise for it.

BTW, I considered a Boxster also but 1) it is slower and 2)Porches are NOT dependable cars.

Cool yes but not known for being super dependable.

I know it sounds cliched, but your best dependabiliy comes from the Japanese cars.

So, if you want a Nissan 350Z buy it and don't worrry about it.

It won't be as dependable as,an Acura,for example but I would put it up against a Honda for dependability.
  • Today I took my 2004 350Z Roadster to a Nissan dealership in Burlington, WA. for a free 100 point inspection. The inspection went really well except for the fact that all my tires on my car were worn out. The front tires are really really bad. The back ones are pretty bad too. So the service department told me that tires would run me $300+ a piece. My first question is this a good price for tires?
    I eventually found out that my front tires were covered under my warranty so nissan is going to put brand new tires on my car for free.
    The problem is that they had already put other new tires on my car and by the time we found out that they were covered under warranty the service department was closed. Basically the service department told me "You can't drive your car home today"! I was fine with this because I was expecting them to give me a loaner care for the a few days because they said that they couldn't get the tires in until Tues. Well turns out they didn't want to give me a loaner car and made me go to Enterprise and rent a car for $30.00 a day. Does anyone know if Nissan has to give me a car in this situation? Please let me know because if they do I am going to get them to reimburse me for the rental and they are going to give me a loaner. Thank you for your help.

Colin Corbin
    $300 a piece for tires is insane.
    check out tirerack.com or discounttiredirect.com

• zztop3zztop3 Posts: 23
    $300 a piece does not stike me as being totally out of place depending upon what they are putting on.

I had the POS Potenza's taken off and replaced with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires a month aftr I bought my 2005 Z and I think these are one of the most expensize you can buy.

Tirerack has them and charges $198 for them but then you have to account for shipping/mounting/balancing/disposal fees.

To give you a real world idea of what to expect for 17" wheels on a Z,

[B]I got all 4 of these Pilot Sport A/S "on the road" from Mr. Tire for $1048.54 with lifetime balance. Obviously, rotation is N/A.[/B

That does come to $262 per tire.

BY the time I would have spent the $40 to $50 per tire to have them mounted,etc. from Tirerack, they still would have come to around $240 to $250 per tire.

Plus, you have bigger wheels so the price would have been MORE than $300/tire "on the road"

You did not say what they were putting on your car. If it was the stock Potenza's DON't.
    Make them put on something good like the Pilot Sport's (Non A/S if you are not worried about the rain).

IN case you are wondering why I did not go the Tirerack route, by spending a few extra bucks at Mr. Tire for the Z, I got a really good deal on top of the line Michelin tires for my Chevy Colorado Truck so I came out ahead.
    Well, broke but ahead of tirerack pricing.

As far as your other question, Nissan does not have to do anything. There is nothing in any of their ales contract that talks about loaners and such.
    Infinity YES because that is part of their sales agreement but not Nissan. You are on your own.

Now a good Nisan dealer should do something for you though.
    Mine will shuttle me back and forth to my house. I bet If I did not have that second Vehicle I mentioned above, my dealer WOULD give me a loaner.

Please let us know what tires thay are going to do before you do anything.
    Go to my350z.com and get some opinions on tires that fit your driving style.

I have my eye on sone R coumpund ties on their own wheels s that would be an amazing hyandling setup.
    BY the time I would have spent the $40 to $50 per tire to have them mounted,etc. from Tirerack, they still would have come to around $240 to $250 per tire.

The last set I bought from tirerack cost me $80 total to have them mounted, balanced, new stems, etc.

So, even if I go with the 18" Pilot Sports on tirerack, the total, including shipping, is $980. Add the $80 ... let's go nuts and say $100 ... for a grand total of $1080. When you think that's $260 a tire, it doesn't seem like great savings over the $300, but when you think that's $160 total, that's quite a bit, in my book.

Personally, i'd probably opt for the BF gforce tires and save an additional $280 for a total savings of $440! With that much left over, you could get a whole new set of tires for your beater, to boot.

This discussion has been closed.