Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TSX vs Acura TL

Comments

• frisconickfrisconick Posts: 1,275
    I didn't know that, and the TSX looks better.
  • ggesqggesq Posts: 701
    and it comes loaded!
  • Chihawk - I'm taller - 6'3", and I recently purchased an '06 TSX. No problems with fitting into the car. In fact, I feel like I have more head and shoulder room in this car than in my wife's RX330. The '06 TSX has many upgrades over the '04 and '05 version, including a more powerful engine, updated front fascia, different wheels, and a number of other bells and whistles. My advice, if you're thinking of the TSX, would be to look into getting a new '06 if you can find one. I've seen that this car can be had (non-navi) for ~$24,500.
    How much more hp does the tsx have? I was checking cars in 05 and the tsx had about 200hp, which I didn't like. although for everyday driving 200hp is fine.
  • You're correct - the 2004-05 TSX has 200 hp. The 2006-2007 TSX has 205 hp. However, there is more than a 5 hp jump. For 2006 models, Honda/Acura began using revised SAE standards to rate their engines. I read an article that the jump in hp from 04 to 06 is actually about 13 hp - you may want to search to find more info on this. More evidence of these new standards can be seen in the hp ratings for the TL - it was rated at 270 hp until the 2006 model year when it was re-rated at 258 hp.

As for everyday driving - my TSX does just fine. It won't give you a kick in the pants like a TL does off the line, but get the engine up above 3000 rpm and it really moves.
    A 13hp boost is nice. Excuse my ignorence what is the SAE standard, and how is different from the old standard?
    :cry:
  • ok - now DON'T QUOTE ME on this, but the SAE is the society of automotive engineers. They have had standards for hp testing, but there were areas within the standard that were subject to interpretation. This resulted in non-uniformity in hp ratings in the world market. This wasn't a big deal up until 20 years ago when the automotive industry truly went global. Recently, the SAE standards were revised to gain uniformity in hp rating. I'm not sure what all the changes were, but I think that the higher hp ratings in honda/acura vehicles was partly, if not mostly, due to the fact that they didn't hook the alternator, ac, and other devices to the engine while running the dyno test. Again, I'm not sure if this is all accurate - just my recollection.
    Thanks, it seems to make sense. :)
  • I think the TSX is also good for taller drivers. Anyway, I mainly want to respond to your request for Any thoughts on specific years that is better than another with respect to hte TL, which is what I have.

I have an 04 TL. If you're planning on getting an automatic, I think you need to make sure you drive it in the 40-55 mph-range for an extended time (like a minute or so). Some cars had issues where they would upshift too soon, causing vibration.

04 and 05 had dash fade issues, though I think this was an overblown problem easily-fixed with an application any Armor All-like product.

In '06 TL added a torque sensor that reduced engine output when it sensed torque-stear. I have not experienced this, but I, personally view that as another feature I'd want to disengage when I enterred the car. After all, I know when I'm going to step on it, and I'd rather just remember to hold on tight, than to have the engine output reduced.

I would think that you could get a great deal on an '04 or '05 coming off a lease.
    the new generation of the TL, the 04, had some problems, I have an 05 with no problems. No vibrations or dash fade. I would sure like to get the 07 S-type, but my wife won't let me. :cry:
  • am153am153 Posts: 10
    I'm in the market for a new car.

My old one is an 89 Acura Legend with 170,000 miles. Very reliable car, but it's time to move on.

I test drove both the '07 TSX and '07 TL today. Loved them both, but the salesman would like to make a sale and I can't make up my mind. Can anyone help me decide?
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,631
    How can strangers on the 'net help you to spend your money?

What are your needs/wants/desires in a car? How much can you/do you want to spend? What did you love about each? If you love the TSX, why do you want to spend more on a TL? And what salesman wouldn't like to make a sale?

Having posed all these questions, here's my advice: Buy the TL. It's prettier and faster. Or the TSX. It's less expensive and more nimble. No, prettier and faster wins. Buy the TL... :)

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

Laurasdada, some help you are. Anyone else want to help me spend my money?

I also test drove an Audi A4 (another great car), Hyundai Azera (nice, inexpensive, but the nearest dealer is miles away), and the Infiniti G35 (another great car, but expensive and no negotiating on price or terms, so I'll pass, here.)

And I disagree about prettier and faster since both Acuras do well there.

Oh well, I think I'll have my wife make the decision. Thanks, anyhow, boys and girls. ;)
    Can you hold out for one more year? Both vehicles will be redesigned next year and both will be exceptionally better than its current versions.

I can understand about having the wife help with the decision but if the car is for you- have some input. Both are much more fun with the manual tranny and offer exceptional "performance" for being FWD. Really depends on what your wants and desires are.

But- I'm with laurasdada- I got the TL ;). I wanted more power, more torque and more space. You can't go wrong with either. Their both winners IMHO.
    Thanks for the info on a redesign next year.

As it turns out, my plan is on leasing for two years, just in time to re-lease either the new TSX or TL.

Based on your (and laurasdada) advice, my lean is toward the TL, unless I hear otherwise.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Posts: 813
    i have a 06 tsx-6spd with nav. I put over 5,000 miles on it in one month-mostly highway driving. It is a very comfortable riding car and does great on the highways. Just letting you know my opinion. I was planning to wait for the new ones but as you can tell I did not and glad I didn't
  • johnny420johnny420 Posts: 473
    If I was to get a TL, it would only be the MT equipped Type S. Otherwise I'd probably do the MT TSX all over again.
    I'm with Laurasdada on this, TL is prettier and definately faster. :shades:
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Posts: 813
    yes the tl is probably faster but unfortunately there are those nasty speed limits. the tsx was able to keep up on the 70mph speed limit highways averaging almost 36mpg.Can not get the TL in Milano red which is what I have.
  • only the TSX is getting redesigned next year, the TL isn't until model year 2009. Has that changed?
  • i was stuck between the tsx and the tl for about 3 months, once I test drove the TL, i couldnt go back. The TSX felt a little too cramped for me compared to the TL (im 6 ft 1, 190 lbs) plus the fact that the TSX Is going to be redesigned in less than a year made me lean more towards the TL as well
    Don't get me wrong, I think the TSX is very pretty car and has plenty of hp.
  • goodegggoodegg Posts: 905
    I would think a lease on a car that will be redesigned the next year (the TSX) would translate into a great lease deal for you I'll bet. This is when you find the best lease deals. Acura will probably put on lease special out on the TSX pretty soon.

But I'd get the TL. You won't regret it. Get the carbon bronze too.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    I test drove both the '07 TSX and '07 TL today. Loved them both, but the salesman would like to make a sale and I can't make up my mind. Can anyone help me decide?

If you had a Legend, the TL is closer to that level of car than TSX I think.

Wife has an 04 TL, and previously had an 01 TL. She wants a new car and will look at 07 TL and G35. We will hang onto 04 TL.

Style being subjective, our tastes would give nod to TL over TSX in that regard. TL of course has more HP and torque than TSX and that is usually preferred by many.

Color of course is very personal, but we like silver as on our 04. If wife gets an 07, it will be silver. My opinion of course, but I think that silver best shows off all of the beautiful lines, shapes, contours, etc of the TL. Dark colors seem to mask a lot of the very good lines.

Issue on TSX is not HP, but torque. The engine is low on torque and have to keep revs up for HP. Check out what magazines such as Car and Driver and Road and Track say about TSX engine.
    The lease idea is great one.

I only saw the carbon bronze in a picture and looked like plain brown. It probably looks better in real life.
    The 4GTL will show up in 08 as an 09.
    Issue on TSX is not HP, but torque. The engine is low on torque and have to keep revs up for HP. Check out what magazines such as Car and Driver and Road and Track say about TSX engine.

Or better yet, drive the car yourself and figure it out on your own. The car is not low on torque and you do not have to keep the revs up. Very useable power throughout the powerband.
  • goodegggoodegg Posts: 905
    The car IS low on torque, but so is the S2000 which is a smaller 4 cyl. but cranks out 235 hp.

The TSX is a nice car but its 4 cyl engine seems to have gotten passed by by technology-driven 6 cyls that have the low end punch but also deliver good gas mileage and low emissions.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    Or better yet, drive the car yourself and figure it out on your own. The car is not low on torque and you do not have to keep the revs up. Very useable power throughout the powerband.

Car and Driver and Edmunds have said that TSX is low on torque and that you DO need to keep the revs up. Following is excerpt from Edmunds:

"Driving Impressions
    The TSX is sophisticated and super fun, like a sports coupe in a tuxedo. While the four-cylinder engine is a tad underpowered and seriously lacking torque, once you get it revved up, it really delivers."
    I own and have driven the car for three years, and I don't care what Edmunds or C&D or anyone else says. The car has very useable power throughout.

I didn't say it was a HP or torque-monster, it's not, but to say it's lacking torque with regards to day to day driving is mischaracterizing it.

And the Edmunds quote is referring to spirited driving. In those instances, you do need to keep revs up for max peformance.

So what?
This discussion has been closed.