Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TSX vs Acura TL

Comments

• jkm900jkm900 Posts: 18
    Not sure why you have play in the wheel on your TL. My 2007 TL has no play whatsoever in the wheel. Not sure if the earlier models are different but maybe you should take it in to the dealer.
  • kris2kris2 Posts: 22
    I own a TSX and I do like it but if someone were to say I can get a TL for the price of a TSX I would not hesitate to buy the TL. Personally I could not justify that I have to shell out $5-6k more to get a TL and not use the additional weight, size, power and other goodies that it comes with. I think it is a personal choice and a comparison will be like apples vs oranges.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,305
    Another lively TSX board?

Does anyone who drives these cars still care to post?

Apparently not.
  • dad23dad23 Posts: 430
    We're all out enjoying our cars...
  • scottm123scottm123 Posts: 1,501
    Most of the people who frequented this thread are now hanging aroung the new thread... Apples vs Oranges. :P
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
  • I was torn between the TL and TSX when I was looking for a replacement car for my wife. Other than the 2 extra cylinders, the TSX had everything we needed on a daily basis. I couldn’t justify spending an additional $2,000 to $3,000 extra when I compared them side-by-side.

Driving the TSX in SS mode on mountain switchbacks is more fun than humans are allowed to have. :P
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Posts: 813
    i have to agree with you-the tl is a nice car but i am extremely pleased with my 06 tsx. has more than enough power for me. i love the 6speed manual transmission-very smooth.
    The crazy wife dropped the 06 MDX off today for an oil change and the dealer hooked her up with an 07 TSX loaner.

I'm looking forward to her review.

It should be something like "it had a light on the side of the vanity mirror, was a pretty shade of blue, and fit into the parking spots at Starbucks with room to spare"

I should have her swing it by work for a quick beat run. ;)
    I initially wanted the TL, but like others, wasn't able to justify the extra $$ to the boss ;) especially since we have three who just started preschool a few months back. I couldn't be any more happy with the car. It looks great, rides great, plenty of power for me as well, and unlike some of the other cars we were considering, you don't see hundreds of them on the road every day :)
    the last time i had my tsx at the dealer for service i had an 08 MDX w/nav as a loaner. i am not into suv's so i could not wait to get my tsx back. by the way I am a "crazy wife" also. You can ask my husband-he has his motorcycles.
    LOL

My wife, before going to the MDX, had a Honda Accord.
    She dropped the TSX off and got right back into her MDX, and talked to me last night about how much she missed it.

She's lovin the whole SUV thing and couldn't stand being back in a smaller car.
    The traffic around here has no respect for cars and the SUVs rule the world.
    She couldn't wait to have her SUV back.

I recently gave up SUVs for my 07 G35.
    Now I'm in the smaller car but I get my respect by keeping everyone else behind me! ;)
  • I dunno, I've had a TSX loaner while my TL was getting an oil change and it just isn't as sporty.

Of course there's the underwhelming straight power of the TSX, but it just didn't handle the same - it didn't feel as planted to the road as my TL.

I will admit up front that my TL is a 6MT with summer tires and the TSX was a basic AT, so that could have had a lot to do with it, but even when I test drove both back in 2005, I didn't fall in love with the TSX as I did with the TL.
    is is too bad the tl does not over 6MT-you now have to get the tl-s. glad you are enjoying your tl as much as i am with my tsx. i was not that impressed with the automatic tsx. never tried a tl but next time i bring my car for service i am going to request one as a loaner car.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,702
    I only had a TSX loaner (slush) while my TL (slush) was in service. I definitely noted the lessor power of the TSX, but also appreciated the lighter feel of the car. The TSX felt more "tossable." No doubt the TSX is adequately powered and fun, but I do prefer the extra horsies/torquies of the TL in addition to the more luxurious interior and stylish exterior. The TSX is generically handsome in the Honda idiom, but the TL is the looker in the family.

Both fine cars, the only way to truly define which is better is to buy it! :shades:

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

I see alot more TL's in my travels than I do TSX's. I think one of the reasons I did not test drive the TL is I would end up buying it-luckily they did not have any MT ones in stock. I had a certain amount I wanted to pay (incl taxes and all the other fees) so I would not have to get a car loan. I paid less thanks to getting the tsx. love it. Looking forward to seeing what the 09's look like.
  • I'm considering a certified pre-owned TSX or TL, preferably model 2004 and newer. I'm looking for the best bang for my buck, but not sure if the CPO program is worth the extra cost over buying from a private seller.

If anyone has any notable experiences on a CPO Acura, pro or con, please chime in!
  • I've purchase a CPO Honda Accord from a dealership around Y2K. Other than having a higher starting price, there really wasn't an advantage shopping dealer or private owner. I only went with the dealership because they had the exact model/color/engine I wanted on the lot. I had to haggle my butt off to get the price closer to a private owner and had them add an extended warranty to 100,000 miles (never needed to use the warranty).

End of the month and/or year end are the best time to purchase from a dealership. The only real advantages of a dealership is selection and the ability to haggle for added accessories like a trunk tray, extended warranty, free service, window tint, rear spoiler, etc.. The really big disadvantage of private owner is “Buyer Beware”. You’re stuck with the car if there are problems after the purchase.

I don’t know about the TL, but the sweet spot for the TSX is the 06 models because of the following upgrades:
    - XM radio (antenna on back/center rear of roof, 05 model also)
    - Bluetooth hands free link
    - Upgrade MID display, can personalize display per key fob
    - Thicker steering wheel with grips at the 10 and 2 o’clock positions
    - heated side mirrors (05 model also)
    - Two position driver memory seats that adjust automatically to the driver when the door opens when the fob is used to unlock the door.
    - power passenger seat (05 model also)
    - Wider side bolsters on driver seat
    - Faster Navi with restaurant guide, calendar reminder, points of interest, and 650 voice commands.
    - 06 Navi can integrate a back up camera easier because of the DVD unit design.
    - up to 10-15 extra HP with the larger intake, exhaust, higher flow cat
    - You will get more HP/TQ from aftermarket parts (Hondata, I/H/Cat/Exhaust, S/C for 6MT only)
    - Slightly revised rear tail lights starting in 06
    - More angular side-marker lights
    - Integrated fog lights
    - No metal trim from grill on hood
    - More aggressive side sills
    - Low profile windshield wipers
    - You would have a longer bumper-to-bumper warranty period with an 06, 4yr/50,000 miles
    - Everyone’s favorite, new 9 spoke alloy wheels
    - Upgraded shift knob for 5AT
    - +2 years of corrected TSB (less rattles/electrical problems/squeaks, etc..)

Make sure they include the latest Navi disk that is available since Nov of 07 with the daylight savings fix (White disk v4.62, not v4.55 or v4.56) My Navi disk in my 06 is v4.55 and it is starting to give me wrong data. The DVD disk usually cost $185+shipping.
  • Thanks for the detailed reply! How is it you know so much about the TSX when you drive an Accord?

Yeah sometimes the CPO prices don't seem to be that much better than buying new, but I'm hoping to haggle the price closer to a private seller price.
  • I still have the CPO Accord with 170,000 miles on the ODO and it is my everyday commuter and grocery getter. My second car is an 06 5AT TSX w/ Navi and A-spec kit with +20,000 miles on the odo.

After 18 months, I still get a stupid grin on my face when I drive the TSX. You will find out at dealerships the prices for a used TSX will only be $1,500-$3,000 less compared to buying new. The TSX really holds its value very well.

There were not a lot changes with the 07/08 models except tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS). I can live without because I have aftermarket rims for summer, winter rims for my TSX. As far as I'm concerned, the only difference between an 06/07/08 TSX is price and mileage.
    care (both of them), the TL doesn't come with fold-down rear seats. The TSX does. If you want to haul a bicycle inside the car, there's only one choice.
    by the way, I'd much rather drive something that there aren't several other of in the parking lot at work.

That'd be the TSX.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,702
    Not where I work. About equal...

But, it is amazing how many more TLs I saw on the road (much to my dismay!) once I bought my TL in '05.

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

hard to believe it has been a year since I bought my new milano red 6 speed with nav TSX. Still love to drive it after 31,000+ miles. When the car gets serviced next week I get to try out the TL as a loaner car. Have no desire for it since it does not have manual transmission but I still want to try one out.
    still have the tl but personally would rather be driving my tsx. miss the manual transmission and where everything is.
    Can I ask what you're having done that you still have the loaner car?
    my husband had a sharp object on his belt which scratched up the back of the driver's seat. The dealer is replacing it for free, The seat cover that they got to replace mine was wrong so they had to re-order it-therefore-I still have the tl loaner-08 silver/eb with 1,000 miles on it. they are hoping to get it in tomorrow.
    the dealer replaced my seat cover-they did get the right one-While they were replacing it they discovered the my heated seats did not work. Since I live in NC I never tried them. They ordered some parts.
  • Never tried the seat heaters?!? Even here in Fla, I use 'em sometimes. I use the passenger side heater to keep my take out warm, like a built-in sterno!!! :P

Sounds like your dealer provides good service!
    when i first drove the car in nov 06, i tried them. wanted to make sure everything worked. i am not into take out food so there is NO FOOD or SMOKING allowed in my car. the dealer is excellent but it is located in Pa and I live in NC. I am a former Pa resident so I still visit my family and friends there.
This discussion has been closed.