Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TSX vs Acura TL

Comments

• johnny420johnny420 Posts: 473
    I never understood the TSX appeal. I mean - a high red-liner is not that much 'fun' as a daily driver. My ex tired of her MR2 real quick. Today's V6s are such a better option now that they're getting 32+ mpgs hwy and don't have to rev to 6000 rpms to hit the powerband. The TSX is screaming at those revs.

This is misleading. You're making the TSX out to have S2000 or RX8 like qualities, as if all its power is made up high. The TSX does rev nicely, but it is also very useable for day to day driving. 166lb ft of torque is plenty for daily driving. The torque curve is flat and linear all the way up to redline. The car does very well around town. I have 21,000 miles of seat time in the car to prove it.

As of today, I've owned this car for three years, and not once have I ever felt like it was not useable for day to day driving. You do not have to 'high redline" the car to make use of its power. That's just not the case.

It's remarkable to me, but I've heard over and over that the TSX is "underpowered" (usually from people who do not own the car) yet I keep having run-ins with Johnny Law because I'm driving too damn fast.

If this is underpowered, I definitely do not need more power.

I never understood the TSX appeal.

This statement is revealing. People who don't own the car don't get it. People who do own it do get it. That should speak to you in and of itself. The TSX has a very enthusiastic following.

:shades:
  • ontopontop Posts: 279
    I never understood the TSX appeal.

I don't either. A V6 Accord sounds much better to me.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Posts: 813
    I have a tsx and love it. It is the matter of personal likes. The tsx works for me even if is not a v6- or 8. I do mostly highway driving with no problems. I personally like the looks of the tsx over the accord.
  • frisconickfrisconick Posts: 1,275
    I bought a tl in 05 and love it. But the more I see the tsx on the road I have become to really like it's look. :shades:
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,482
    I equate the TSX with the previous gen TL in the looks department: handsome, but generic. The new TL, to me, is just a very handsome car from almost any angle. Both inside and out.

FriscoNick: Remember me? You were going to adopt me and buy me oh so many wonderful cars... ;)

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• I'm in the process of getting a new car and I am considering both the TSX and the TL. Unfortunately, there is no Acura dealer close by so I haven't taken either one for a test drive yet.

I am 6'4", so legroom/driver comfort is a BIG deal for me. From what I hear, the TL is good for taller people, but I haven't heard anything about the TSX yet. Are there any tall TSX drivers out there that can chime in.

I currently don't have any kids, but would like to get a car that could comfortable accomodate a child and stroller in the future.

Lastly, I'm probably looking to buy a car that's 1-3 years old. Any thoughts on specific years that is better than another. For ex, 06 is much preferred over 05 for some reason, etc.

Thanks.
    Yes I remember you!!! How are you ;)

I agree, but I appreciated the TSX more than I did n the past.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,482
    All's well. Hopefully for you, too.

Happy New Year!

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

Everythings great!

Happy New Year!
  • starman98starman98 Posts: 119
    A TSX is faster than a Lexus IS250
    I didn't know that, and the TSX looks better.
  • ggesqggesq Posts: 701
    and it comes loaded!
  • Chihawk - I'm taller - 6'3", and I recently purchased an '06 TSX. No problems with fitting into the car. In fact, I feel like I have more head and shoulder room in this car than in my wife's RX330. The '06 TSX has many upgrades over the '04 and '05 version, including a more powerful engine, updated front fascia, different wheels, and a number of other bells and whistles. My advice, if you're thinking of the TSX, would be to look into getting a new '06 if you can find one. I've seen that this car can be had (non-navi) for ~$24,500.
    How much more hp does the tsx have? I was checking cars in 05 and the tsx had about 200hp, which I didn't like. although for everyday driving 200hp is fine.
  • You're correct - the 2004-05 TSX has 200 hp. The 2006-2007 TSX has 205 hp. However, there is more than a 5 hp jump. For 2006 models, Honda/Acura began using revised SAE standards to rate their engines. I read an article that the jump in hp from 04 to 06 is actually about 13 hp - you may want to search to find more info on this. More evidence of these new standards can be seen in the hp ratings for the TL - it was rated at 270 hp until the 2006 model year when it was re-rated at 258 hp.

As for everyday driving - my TSX does just fine. It won't give you a kick in the pants like a TL does off the line, but get the engine up above 3000 rpm and it really moves.
    A 13hp boost is nice. Excuse my ignorence what is the SAE standard, and how is different from the old standard?
    :cry:
  • ok - now DON'T QUOTE ME on this, but the SAE is the society of automotive engineers. They have had standards for hp testing, but there were areas within the standard that were subject to interpretation. This resulted in non-uniformity in hp ratings in the world market. This wasn't a big deal up until 20 years ago when the automotive industry truly went global. Recently, the SAE standards were revised to gain uniformity in hp rating. I'm not sure what all the changes were, but I think that the higher hp ratings in honda/acura vehicles was partly, if not mostly, due to the fact that they didn't hook the alternator, ac, and other devices to the engine while running the dyno test. Again, I'm not sure if this is all accurate - just my recollection.
    Thanks, it seems to make sense. :)
  • I think the TSX is also good for taller drivers. Anyway, I mainly want to respond to your request for Any thoughts on specific years that is better than another with respect to hte TL, which is what I have.

I have an 04 TL. If you're planning on getting an automatic, I think you need to make sure you drive it in the 40-55 mph-range for an extended time (like a minute or so). Some cars had issues where they would upshift too soon, causing vibration.

04 and 05 had dash fade issues, though I think this was an overblown problem easily-fixed with an application any Armor All-like product.

In '06 TL added a torque sensor that reduced engine output when it sensed torque-stear. I have not experienced this, but I, personally view that as another feature I'd want to disengage when I enterred the car. After all, I know when I'm going to step on it, and I'd rather just remember to hold on tight, than to have the engine output reduced.

I would think that you could get a great deal on an '04 or '05 coming off a lease.
    the new generation of the TL, the 04, had some problems, I have an 05 with no problems. No vibrations or dash fade. I would sure like to get the 07 S-type, but my wife won't let me. :cry: