Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda S2000

Comments

• notyounotyou Posts: 2
    I have an MY04 S2000, and it still chunks between first and second, particularly when the car is cold. Once it warms up, the chunkiness fades away. The behavior seems to be common (see the forums at s2ki.com for more).
  • wattagewattage Posts: 4
    I've test driven the 2005 S2000 several times and I've heard from the dealer that 2005 is supposedly the last year for the S2000. Is this true? Has there been any talk about what's next? I've checked all over the web and found zip, not even a concept car. The dealer mentioned that Honda likes to change body styles every 5-6 years. If that's true, then the S2000's due for a facelift soon. Gimme the scoop.
  • jcool1jcool1 Posts: 1
    Just a query - where did you fit the rear speakers in your S2000? Bought my S2000 a month ago, and tried taking several panels off to put in a decent set of 6x9's, only to find they're as shallow as an eyelid.

And just for info, I bought mine with a hardtop which is why I need 6x9's - can't hear the stereo otherwise...

Ta!
  • toydrivertoydriver Posts: 227
    My sources tell me that the S2000 will be history.
    Apparently Honda is making more money selling minivans, SUVs and old "stand-bys" than they can with the roadster product.
    I can only hope that they would reconsider.
    S2000 is my toy!!
  • Hello Honda roadster enthusiasts. I will be sad to see the S2000 go after this model year, according to toydriver. But, I hope the manufacturer support continues for parts and such.

Getting to my topic, I'm very seriously considering the purchase of a 2002 model with 31,000 miles. I've read about the possible gear griding to look for, and the convertible latch to watch out for too. Anything else I should make special note of before spending 22K on this car? I don't believe in 'extended warranties', so I want to make sure the car is in good shape before it comes into my possession. I plan on taking it to a trusted mechanic to give it a thorough once-over. Just thought y'all might have some pointers on things to check. Thanks in advance!
  • terpfan2terpfan2 Posts: 7
    Looking at purchasing an '05 S2K and am debating whether or not to get the hartop. Anyone have one and can offer an opinion as to pros/cons? Live in Washington, DC metro area.

Thanks,

Tom
  • hello s2k forum. i am interested in purchasing an s2k soon but i want to install an indash player that has a motorized monitor. it appears that theres not enough room for operation. do any of you have a monitor or have encountered this problem? any solutions or help is greatly appreciated. VR, grant
  • I just bought my s2000 its an 01' red 50,000 miles When the top is up there is alot of wind noise where the top meets with the top of the wind shield, I was wondering if any of you veteren s2k owners know any tircks or something I can do to reduce this noise, I would appreciate any help thank
    s2kmaniac81:
    I have '01 (also red-best color!)with 22K mi that I bought used last summer. I also noticed the noise last fall when I started driving the car with the top up.

Interestingly, there is a Honda Service Bulletin about this problem #01-037. Honda recommends replacing the striker plates (metal plates located at the upper corner of the A pillars that connect to the soft top) with "hard top" strikers.
    Apparently, the hard top strikers are more substantial than the original equipment.

I have scheduled my car with the Honda dealer next week to have this work done.
    I will let you know if it takes care of the noise.
    (price quote approx. $80 for set of two and $150 labor). If this "cures" the noise, I'll be a happy camper.

In my opinion, the car needs to be driven with the top down anyway.
    Great car! Love the VTECH!!
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,648
    I just posted some photos of a supercharged S2000 built by SRM Performance in San Rafael, California in our new "Speedshop Board" here at Edmunds.

It's a very tidy installation, and the car jumped from a stock HP dyno reading of 174HP to a new dyno reading of 307HP.

Here's the link if you want to take a look.

SpeedShop Forum on Supercharged S2000
    Re: Post # 211
    Just had the Honda upgrade for the striker plates done by the dealer and it has CURED the wind noise and rattle from the soft top around the windshield on my '01 S2000.

As I mentioned earlier this is from Honda Service Bulletin # 01-037

The new (hard-top) striker plates are designed differently and provide a latch for the hook on the soft top to clamp to. The OEM part was worn and no longer provided a solid closure. Cost $80 for parts and one hour of labor. Total under $200.
    Highly recommend this upgrade done if anyone with older S2K is having this problem.
  • jimg6jimg6 Posts: 15
    Has anyone purchased the XM radio option? If so, how much did you pay with installation?
    Is there a less expensive aftermarket version?
  • gsolman6gsolman6 Posts: 28
    Don't know anything about Honda's XM but I would rather get something like this since you can use it anywhere:

http://www.xmradio.com/myfi/
  • jimg6jimg6 Posts: 15
    How would this Delphi XM unit hook up to the S2000 which is XM ready. Would the sound quality be the same vs. dealer installed where they mount the XM antenna to the trunk of the car? Thanks.
  • zelda3zelda3 Posts: 4
    My husband and I have been wanting to purchase a used convertible for a "fun" third car. After much research, we decided that a 2004 Honda S2000 with low miles would probably be our best bet. However, I have now found out that this model will be discontinued by Honda after 2005. My question for more experienced car buffs is this: is it a good investment (or idea) to purchase a slightly used S2000 in light of what we now know? Will blue-book values plummet when the model is discontinued? Should we wait a year or so and see where prices go? Will it be hard to get our car worked on later down the line? We think we will have to pay around $25-26K and intend to keep it for 3-4 years. Please give us your thoughts on this as we are novices - we have 3 kids and this is the first frivolous purchase we have made in MANY years!
  • The S2000 is not being discontinued. Go ahead and buy the car if you like it.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    I have also heard that 2005 is the last year for the Honda S2000, but that would not deter me from buying the car at all. Honda dealerships are not going anywhere and the company is likely to support the car with respect to parts and service for the foreseeable future.

However, as a former owner of a 2002 S2000 which I kept for 2.5 years, I would suggest you consider going new rather than slightly used for a couple of reasons. First, proper break-in on an S2000 is extremely important, far more so than you're average Honda Accord with an automatic transmission. Second, the prices of new S2000's have come down considerably. In casual shopping, I have gotten offers as low as invoice to $500 over invoice (I paid $800 under MSRP on a snowy day in November 2001, but many dealerships were still getting $3,000 premiums over list). The price of a brand new 2005 would only be $4,000 to $5,000 more than a used 2004. You will make up a lot of that difference when you go to resell a "one owner" car in 3-4 years vs. a two-owner car that would be one model year older with more miles on it. Also, the tires on the S2000 are nearly $1,000 per set and generally only last about 15,000 to 20,000 miles. The clutch, especially if the car has been abused by the previous owner, will set you back $1,000 -$1,500. By going new, you will also have most, if not all, of your 3-4 years of ownership covered under the factory warranty. I had $0 in repairs or warranty claims in my 2.5 years, but I still liked having the full warranty as insurance.

The S2000 is somewhat frivolous, for sure. But my two young daughters still talk about how much fun it was being picked up from school in the S2000 when I could take off work early. Squeezing both of them in the passenger seat was tough, and the speed never got above about 10 miles per hour, but they couldn't have been any happier in a $200,000 Ferrari. My youngest learned the 1st to 2nd shift at the age of 4 (from the passenger seat, of course).

Go for it. You only live once and the S2000 is about the most financially prudent frivolous sports car out there.
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,904
    financially prudent frivolous sports car

Writing this one down... lol.

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Life is full of contradictions, and the S2000 wasn't my worst!!
    I continue to be amazed at this s2000 engine! I bought a used '01 with 20K mi last fall for my "fun" summer car. Well, I have enjoyed feeling the rush of occasionally driving it above 7500 rpm, love to corner fast and can't get enough of the "top down, wind in the face" feeling. While in VTECH it seems to "drink gas", as I would expect. The original window sticker says 20 city 25 hwy.

So, I decided to check the gas mileage while commuting to work in a metro area with a mix of "stop and go" and highway speed. This tank of gas was meant to get a read on the capability of the engine while not "red lining". I couldn't believe the result. 46mpg; and no that is not down hill coasting.
    The engineering built into this drive train is truly amazing !!!

I knew if I labelled this post "S2K competes with hybrids", nobody would read it.

I'd love to hear from others about their gas mileage experience. :)