Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda S2000

Comments

• anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,173
    2004 was when the displacment was bumped to 2.2l. Also the redline went from 9000rpm to about 8200rpm. I own a 2004 and I drove an 02 before buying. Both were awesome, but I find the 2.2 a bit more friendly when your not driving like a bat out of hell (which of course is killer!) Definitely check out s2ki if you have any questions. Great group of guys, very knowledgible. :D
  • I took home a red 2005 at the end of July and do love this car very much. I've noticed that same notchiness between 1st and 2nd when the car is cold. The rest of gears are right where you expect them to be and shifting is just plain fun. Since I've still got less than 3K on the car I'm wondering if the shifter will loosen up over time, but even if it doesn't a few clicks going into 2nd are a small price to pay for that kind performance this car has to offer. I'll try your suggestion though.
  • I have the exact same problem with my 2005. However that short grind fades after 15 minutes or so of driving. I've only got 2600 miles on the car and I'm expecting it to lessen as time goes on. The rest of gears desere all the praise they get in the press, and I'm hoping that this niggling little problem with work itself out. Otherwise this car is all joy.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,173
    I have an 04' and I just had the tranny fluid swapped out for GM synchromesh. I only have about 4k on her (really early for a fluid change) at the moment but it made a HUGE difference. Almost all notchyness has been eliminated. I didn't change it myself, but I had a shop do it for me. It was not a Honda dealer, I don't think they will put the GMS in.

Also, a good way to work around it on those cold mornings, is to be gentle with it. Don't rev the motor too much and shift as early as possible. And don't shift aggressively either, kind of ease it into gear... Double clutch if you can.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    I had a 2002 S2000 that I bought in November 2001 and had for 30 months and 19,000 miles I NEVER had any issues with the transmission or shifting, even in cold weather. The 2002 had a strenghtened transmission over the 2000/2001. It sounds like they went backwards for 2004, which is hard to believe.
  • A Suzuka Blue 2002 with a blue leather interior, sweetness ...
    35k miles, 100k Hondacare warranty, and the chrome factory wheels

I pick it up friday. Paid $21,300

I cant wait to run through the gears, man oh man :)
  • I have the same problem. The first 10 mins. of driving has that "clunk" between 1st and 2nd. After 10 minutes though it disappears. It's really annoying though b/c it feels like you're F'ing something up as you're doing it. I've got 1800 on mine and I'm hoping it goes away.
  • Recently, my driver's side window on my 2002 S2000 started malfunctioning. When I lower the top, the window does not go down all the way. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I either have to click the top switch several times, or use the power window switch to lower the window completely. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • I have a 2,5 month young 3.500 miles driven 2005 S2000. Besides the known 2nd gear problem I was nothing but happy. Since Saturday night I'm happy being still alive.
    On my way home on a empty freeway (rare condition in Southern California) my live was challenged without any warning.
    A short sharp metallic bang and the S2000 were almost completely out of control at 68mi/h and were spinning several 360s. Finally I ended up in the soft bank in a huge cloud of dust after passing luckily the unforgiving concrete of a bridge.
    The good news first: I was able to keep the car more or less on the road and the S2000 seem to be flipping over resistant.
    The scary bad news: The right rear upper A-frame was broken off the Hub (the cause). The suspension is after this wild ride heavily damaged - I’m looking at ~ $10.000 repair.
    Honda USA reacted insulting and of cause declined any responsibility.
    I’m from Germany – use to drive fast but responsible and without accident for over 30 years – live now in California for 8 years (means I know the roads) and with 52 certainly not a silly punk.
    At Honda USA, they play the “Blame the customer” game and I’m seeking for help and information. Any similar events out there…?

PS. I checked the freeway on the next day at daylight for unusual road conditions and was unable to blame the incident on CalTrans.
  • hi,
    have a s2000 2003 red with 5000m,best car i ever had(more than 60).i need some info please: would like to buy some headrest speakers but not the one from honda, any suggestions please. and would like to buy a bra,can nt find any. i try the compagny wolf...forget it. and for last, if i want to put an intake does KN make the best ,i m open to your advice.i only drive my car when it s nice,never had any rain except when i wash it.(every day)
    very interresting site,you guys know what your talking

p.s i m thinking to put somme red leather on my seats and on the doors,does any body did that on there S
    thanks a million
    regards
  • I have a Honda s2000 which i absolutley love. Unfortunately I now get drenched everytime it rains! This is getting worse; when I pull off, a stream of water falls on me and my passenger from the roof where the seal folds. Any suggestions?
  • I just was offered what I consider a "heck" of a deal on an 05 S2K. West Virginia is not the sports car capitol of the world and the dealer really wanted to sell it. I loved the test drive yesterday on a clear crisp day, but the horror stories about the Potenza tires and the snow-plowing spoiler has k-bashed what I was going to be a cure for my middle-aged angst. Is the snow performance really that big a crisis!
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    "Is the snow performance really that big a crisis!"

No "crisis" unless you actually want to drive in the snow. :cry:

I only attempted to drive my S2000 once a short distance on packed snow and ice. It was enough to convince me to leave it parked whenever there was snow on the streets. And I'm originally from a town that averages 120" per year, so I'm hardly afraid of driving in snow.

Given that you live in West Virginia, and (I assume) get more snow than DC, it seems to me an S2000 is impractical (as any high performance roadster / sports car would be) as a year round sole car. You can spend a fair amount of money on a second set of wheels and snow tires, but that's still not going to make up for the low ground clearance and extremely light back end. Even with snow tires, you really need a back up vehicle to use in more than 3"+ of snow, IMO.
  • jt350jt350 Posts: 1
    I just had the same problem after getting the top replaced due to vandalism. Someone told me to try resetting the window actuators.

Start vehicle.
    Lower window all the way and keep button depressed for about 5 seconds. Then raise window and hold button up for 5 seconds once window is completely raised. Do this a couple of times and see if that works.
  • toydrivertoydriver Posts: 227
    Has anyone had experience transporting their S2000 long distance by truck ???
    I'd like to send the car from MN to AZ for the winter (we both need some warm weather). I want to ensure it arrives without any problems.
  • s2k02s2k02 Posts: 3
    I heard of a problem with the 1st 2nd and 3rd syncro. try to research but that could be it and it is a factory defect so its fine, but get it taken care of asap before u need a new tranny! good luck.
    If you still have'nt found and rear speakers go to lsaudioco.com, I have an 02 s2k and I will make a custom mount if u need it still.
    I have an 02 but on pretty much all of the S2000's I've seen there has always been a gap between the right rear tail light and the bumper. So ur ok!
  • http://www.streetsmarttechnologies.net/

these enclosures look good, but are a bit expensive, less than factory though and you can use your own speakers.

also, 2004 and up models are prewired for headrest speakers, making installation easier....
  • sjdesjde Posts: 3
    I am looking at both these cars and like the looks of both. I am a woman and really don't need the extra horsepower of the S2000. My husband doesn't seem to care one way or another. Comments?

Joan