Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda S2000

Comments

• estrekaestreka Posts: 28
    I'm on the harder extreme of driving. I've tested 3 sets of tires, and I can tell you the Hankook K-series work very well. I burned the Potenzas in 10K miles. I burned a set of Kumhos in 5K. The Hankooks I have on now have lasted 15K so far, and they still have a long way to go.

Btw, my S is supercharged, so tirewear is considerable with my application. Your results will definately vary. I would expect 20K-30K with the Hankooks with conservative driving. Make sure you get a 420 treadwear rating!
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    A high performance tire with a 420 treadwear rating?? :surprise:

I would have thought that was impossible. Are they "W" or "Y" rated? Where did you get them. I am still quite a ways from needing new tires on my 911, but I'd like to check them out. Tire Rack does not list the Hankook brand.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,173
    It's fun huh? :D I am getting mine back in a month from out of storage. Cannot wait! Good to see your mileage is rising. I find Honda motors really don't "Break in" until around 10 - 20k miles so mileage creeps up over that time.
    I believe the recommendation for a flat tire is to NOT put the donut on the front? It mentions to locate the rear tire to the front and put the spare on the back. I could be wrong, but I need to check the manual (which is currently in storage with the car...)
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Posts: 1,978
    anythngbutgm,

Mine is just getting broken in a little over 1,000 miles. My mileage isn't so great (22.5) but I have been driviing sporty and loving it.

I have an Invidia exhaust and it is hard not to VTEC it ;)

Cheers,

MidCow

P.S.- I live in Houston and can drive year round, drove to work today top-down, 65 degrees.
    Up here in Mass we are expecting a few inches of snow... Guess I should take a road trip down south! :D How's the exhaust note with the new setup?

It's funny, people hate the stereo quality of the cars, I think I've turned my radio on only a dozen times. Still have the factory presets. I find the engine and exhaust note are far more entertaining than the stereo.
    I think you have that in reverse.

I believe that in the event of a rear flat, you are supposed to put the spare tire in front and move the front to the back. I seem to recall that from my old owners manual. And at least that would make sense in a RWD car where the rear tires are larger than the front.

In any event, I would reserve judgement on whether or not the car needs an alignment until after the tires are replaced. The smaller width, different rolling resistance donut is bound to cause a little pull.
    Ah... That's it. Thanks

Makes sense not having a donut on the rear for a RWD car... :)
  • hondaheadhondahead Posts: 10
    Hey MidCow, I'm in Huntsville (no, the other one, in Ala), weather's been cooperating here too. Jeez, 71 yesterday, 66 today. Can't get enough - even asking the wife if there's anything, ANYTHING, from the store that she needs - last time a trip to the store (2 mi away) for buns, burger, etc took almost an hour, and no, not spent shopping or in line...ha :P
    Glad to hear that you aren't just going to the store 2 miles away during the break in period.

My former Honda service manager (2002 S2000) is now the head of Service at a BMW dealership. Caught up with him when I went in to look at the new M5. He believes that Honda is not very good about instructing S2000 users of the proper break in procedure. He completely agrees with the instructions I got for my 911 last fall - for the first 1,500-2,000 miles, avoid starting the car unless you are going to drive it for 20 minutes. It takes at least that long for all engine components and the oil to heat up to full operating temperature (and fully expand). Which is required to properly seat the pistons, rings and seals on a high performance, high rpm, tight tolerance engine. When you run the engine for shorter periods, the expansion is stopped short and the "break in" process is compromised. Future oil leaks and loss of engine compression can result.

Why this "drive for 20 minutes" practice seems to be universally agreed upon by the smartest and most experiences service managers (and my buddy with a Masters from Duke in ME and Material Science), but not emphasized in owners manuals, is beyond me. At least Porsche says "avoid short drives" and has an "engine oil temperature" gauge in addition to the standard radiator temperature guage - which, by the way, takes considerably longer to reach operating temperature than the radiator.

Note that this "drive for 20 minutes" rule is much more important in engines like the S2000, 911, M3/M5 than in your run of the mill Accord.
  • njexpressnjexpress Posts: 170
    :D I knew I could count on you all :D
    I got the spare donut replaced with the new tire wednesday night and it was a 15 mile ride home from my nearest BJs. Drives like a dream!! No more issues -The spare :sick: WAS the culprit. I couldn't drive the S yesterday - Freezing rain and snow and sleet and slush in NJ all day - Not that I was concerned about handling but, It would break my heart to see my baby dirty, so, that will have to wait until the roads are clean and rid of brine.
    Once again, thanks a bunch to ALL who responded. I guess the moral(s) of the story is (are):
    1) If you got someone driving in front of you like an old lady with a broken hip AND blocking the whole lane while trying to make a left when the light is green, DO NOT GET AGGREVATED ENOUGH to drive the S over the shoulder with a rut even if only 5 mm of your front right wheel is going to come into contact with the rut!!! :( :mad:
    2) Spare donut @ 36 PSI mounted in front definitely pulls to the side.
    Cheers!!
    --njexpress
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Posts: 1,978
    njexpess,

Glad you got your car fixed and glad the pull was only the doughnut, sorry you have inclement weather now.

It is times like these I love Houston :shades:

Cruis'n top down,

MidCow
    NJ huh? Gonna see you at the N.E. s2ki Nor'Easter?
    habitat1, thx for the tip. A good excuse to take "the long way home"...and to work, for that matter. You're right, wish they'd stated those kinda tips in the manual - dunno why they'd omit good ideas/recommendations like that...unless they're hoping for hoping for repair work in the future, to pad the $$ made on sales. Sorry, the pessimist side just flared up....thx again
  • jkgreer2jkgreer2 Posts: 42
    Habitat1: Thank you for the guidance on preferred break-in. I see now why you have suggested purchasing a S2000 that has not been test driven (typically 5-10 min in duration).
    Hondahead: If you have had any dealings with Damson Honda in Huntsville, please advise. I am looking for a N. Alabama or E. TN dealer that will 'deal' on a 06 S2000 during March Madness. Thank you in advance. Best regards to both for your suggestions.
    jkgreer2, I bought mine from Damson/Huntsville; there may have been some wiggle room, but didn't want to wait. Didn't want to play the dealer vs dealer game, 'sides, I was looking for a good deal on a new, leftover '05, but couldn't find any dealers wanting to go invoice or less. Bet Edmunds is close or dead-on on invoice, I pd $32,500 to get my baby, +tax, title, etc. They put the press on for add's, like extended warranty, reg maint pkg, etc, I'd check around other dealers in the area to see what they could do... Bottom line, they did me OK
    BTW, there's a '06 black S2000 on e-bay right now, think it was LaGrange, GA, with buy-it-now price at $30800.....tempting,,,,
    Good for you, MidCow :shades: I guess the S2Ks can be used for all they are worth over there!
    BTW, anythingbutGM, looks like no more Noreasters for now- They are predicting 60's for the w/e. There is going to be a spring preview hopefully and except for an occasional noreaster or two in MAY( :mad: ), the mercury should start rising, So, the hard top is going to go in the basement, wrapped in 2 old comforters and a quilt ;-)
    Cheers!
    --njexpress
    :D :D :D Actually, it is a big S2k event happening in Connecticut in August. I figured if you were from Jersey, CT may not be far to go for this awesome event.

Check it out

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showforum=168

P.S. If the mods don't like me posting this, drop an E-mail and I'll send you the link that way.
    :confuse: Oh?:D I totally misunderstood what you said before - The CT nor'Easter Sounds really Cool!! If time permits, I sahll definitely wing it!!
    Thanks for the info!!
    Cheers..
    --njexpress