Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda S2000

Comments

• Have been noticing increasing wind noise from around the seal above the windshield when driving over 45 mph. '01 with 22K miles. Live in MN, temps going down into the 40s and 50s.

Any ideas on a fix????
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,986
    Try to soften up the seal with some silicone *lubricant* or other rubber treatment product (NOT sealer!!)

Sometimes cold weather will shrink a seal a bit until the car warms up.

Also check that the top rail of the windshield isn't dirty.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• Thanks for responding. I used the Honda brand silicone spray lubricant on the seal (after cleaning it). Still have excessive wind noise above the top windshield rail and rattle from the top latches when driving over 40mph. Some of this could be cold weather related - but I'm wondering if the latches wear out and need replacing ???
    Well when the top is latched can you get any slack in there by gently pushing up on the top? On some cars the latches are adjustable, too.

Otherwise, if no slack and no adjustment you'll have to investigate if the top rail seal is replacable.

Do you actually FEEL any wind with your fingertips or just "hear" it.

the reason I ask is that if you only "hear" it but feel nothing this could be a design flaw of some kind.

Is anything sticking up or out? Loose screw or moulding popping out, on the outside of the car?

Does the top look aligned properly when it latches?

• No slack when latched. Latches not adjustable as far as I can tell. Don't FEEL any wind and the top is water tight - just hear a wind noise that is clearly coming from above the windshield and rattles from the latches, but they are properly engaged. Nothing sticking up or out of the top or near the windshield. (No loose screws - at least none on the car :-). The top looks to be aligned properly and there aren't any signs of damage or prior mechanical work.
    Are there any Honda Service Bulletin reports that relate to design flaws or latch problems with the '01 S2000 convertible tops ???
  • Spoke with a friend who has a mechanic friend who tells me that the '00 and '01 soft top "strike plates" wear out prematurely and can need replacement. I bought a '01 earlier this summer and didn't notice a problem until I started driving it consistently with the top up this fall. (The symptom is as I have described -excessive wind noise coming from around the top of the windshield and also a rattle from around the top latches).

Has anyone had to replace these "strike plates" and were they improved for later models and how much should I expect to pay at a dealer??
  • Hi Everyone, I have an 04 s2K and was hoping one of you would have some input, when I engage 1st gear from neutral sometimes I hear/feel a slight "clunk". Never felt it on the 97 toyota supra's manual shifter.

Is this normal?
  • brihambriham Posts: 33
    How do these cars compare. I'm leanin towards the RX8 due to styling and handling, what are the advantages of the s2000

Here is VIDEO of the RX8 on a lap around Laguna Seca track which kind of sold me. Check out the stunt at the end.

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=- bod&sectionParameter=rx8_activity&bhcp=1
  • I can't be helpful but I drove an '00 S2 from Chicago to Denver to The Black Hills back to Chicago in July. The mileage was fairly steady between 23 and 25 mpg, and it didn't seem to matter whether I drove 70 or 85.

A more seasonal question: does anyone out there have experience with M&S rated tires on an S2000? With the Potenzas, it's a horror with snow on the ground. Although I have a second car for bad weather, it's sometimes necessary to drive the S. I'm willing to put bad-weather rated tires on for the winter season, but the feedback from people I know is that snow tires won't help a car balanced & powered like ours. Anyone have any experience with this?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,186
    I don't have an S2000, but my car does have 225/45-17 tires.. and winter tires make a world of difference..

S2000 are powerful, but they aren't necessarily "torquey"... There is nothing to keep the car from realizing the benefits of winter tires..

Low ground clearance will be your biggest problem in snow.

And the post above: The S2000 is a convertible...

regards,

kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• It's not normal, but it's been a problem from day 1. I have an '00 S2, and my clunk was between 2nd and 3rd gear. Honda replaced the transmission under warranty. A friend with another '00 had the problem between 1st and 2nd gear. Honda replaced his transmission. In our cases, it was more of a split-second 'grind' as if you'd mis-shifted, but you hadn't. I don't know any recent S2000 buyers, so I can't speak about anyone's current experience. But Honda has worked on this problem a long time; I'd have thought it was solved by now. Your experience indicates that it wasn't. If I were you, I'd take the car back to Honda quickly to at least get the problem on your service sheet.
  • I saw on THE mazda miata enthusiasts web site(I know I can't say the name) that several of the S2000 owners race their cars. One went even so far as to say that it was not worth getting an S if you do not intend to race it. So I was wondering how many of you autocross your cars?
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    I have done a few autocrossing sessions but so far, it has been more of a personal teaser experience for me. I hope to make it a more serious hobby this spring and summer.

I do not believe it is true that the S is not worth getting if it is not going to be raced. The same argument could be applied to the Miata, and in fact to any car more fun to drive than a Ford Taurus. The S2000's gearbox, high-revving engine, and stiff chassis can be enjoyed and appreciated even at legal speeds on public roads, as can its looks, features and overall value as a fairly livable roadster.
  • toydrivertoydriver Posts: 227
    I agree with sphinx99. The S2000 is a "gas" to drive at just about any speed.

There is no law that limits how fast you can get FROM 0 mph TO the speed limit. Freeeway entrance ramps in 2nd gear up to 8000rpm will get your "heart throbbing".

Cruisng at 30mph with the top down on a sunny day in this car is great fun and still turns heads.

Beauty is in the beholder, but for my money the S is more of a true sports car than the Miata.
  • motismotis Posts: 3
    Greetings all - I have been following this forum for some time and recently purchased a 2005 S2000. I have noticed in the past couple of days there is a grinding feeling when shifting from first to second; it's consistent occurrence, not present only if I shift much more slowly, letting the RPM's fall significantly (I don't normally shift quickly). It's not a long grinding, only a quick feeling of 2-3 gunk/grind sounds before it settles into gear.

This always happens when shifting from first to second, and usually - though to a lesser degree - when shifting from second to third. All other shifts are smooth. The thing that bothers me is all the reviews I read praised the Honda shifting mechanism for being so smooth, and there were even changes/improvements made from the 2000 - 2003 models, apparently.

Do other owners have this problem? What should I say to the dealer?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,186
    "Do other owners have this problem? What should I say to the dealer?"

"I can't get a smooth shift, going from 1st to 2nd, or 2nd to 3rd... It grinds.. something is wrong with my car.. I have to shift like my grandmother, to get the car to work right.. Please fix my car!!"

Or something like that...

regards,

kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• illini7illini7 Posts: 19
    I think maybe it just isn't broken in enough yet. Mine was really tight and rigid at first, and then it really opened up around 7500 miles. Take it in and have them check it anyway.
  • MOTIS---The S2000 does take time to break-in, the more you drive it the better the shifter will feel.

When cold my 04 still has a split second "clunk" from neutral into 1st, the transmission gets alot better when the car warms up.

The S2000 doesn't have much sound dampening insulation, coupled with a really stiff body, you'll pretty much hear and feel every last thing the car is doing. This is the most driver oriented sports car with a trunk.

It's the best purchase you could have made, the RX-8 drives like an over-powered Corrolla, the 350Z spends more time getting fixed and changing front tires then a house of cards. The S2K drives like an F1 car and it'll keep up with the best of them over 6K rpm, you'll just have to put up with the stiff and loud ride (I don't mind).
  • makana1makana1 Posts: 4
    Are there any REALLY tall S2000 owners out there? If so let me know your thoughts on using the S2000 as a daily driver. I am considering buying a used S2000 as a second car that I would use on a 15-20 mile RT daily commute over good roads in good weather (moving back to San Diego soon). I am 6'7", 225 lbs and for me the limiting factor in any car, space-wise, is not legroom per se but rather the amount of space between the driver's door panel and the steering wheel -- when it's too tight, I can't turn the wheel because my hands bump into my knees! Any ideas, first-hand experiences?
  • I have a 2001 S2000 and love it. But I hate Hondas decision to use a vynal window that year. Starting in 02 I think they went to the glass window in the back. My question is, can I replace the one I have with and later models rear window. I noticed the back window “section” zips out on my 01. I would think they should swap. Now for the tough question….
    Where can I find just the window and how much should this part cost me. I called 2-3 dealers and they could not find that part in there system and sounded like they didn’t even think it was separate. I don’t belive replacing say a busted back window is going to require dumping your life savings on replacing a rag top. Can I get some much needed help???????
  • notyounotyou Posts: 2
    I have an MY04 S2000, and it still chunks between first and second, particularly when the car is cold. Once it warms up, the chunkiness fades away. The behavior seems to be common (see the forums at s2ki.com for more).
  • wattagewattage Posts: 4
    I've test driven the 2005 S2000 several times and I've heard from the dealer that 2005 is supposedly the last year for the S2000. Is this true? Has there been any talk about what's next? I've checked all over the web and found zip, not even a concept car. The dealer mentioned that Honda likes to change body styles every 5-6 years. If that's true, then the S2000's due for a facelift soon. Gimme the scoop.
  • jcool1jcool1 Posts: 1
    Just a query - where did you fit the rear speakers in your S2000? Bought my S2000 a month ago, and tried taking several panels off to put in a decent set of 6x9's, only to find they're as shallow as an eyelid.

And just for info, I bought mine with a hardtop which is why I need 6x9's - can't hear the stereo otherwise...

Ta!
    My sources tell me that the S2000 will be history.
    Apparently Honda is making more money selling minivans, SUVs and old "stand-bys" than they can with the roadster product.
    I can only hope that they would reconsider.
    S2000 is my toy!!
  • Hello Honda roadster enthusiasts. I will be sad to see the S2000 go after this model year, according to toydriver. But, I hope the manufacturer support continues for parts and such.

Getting to my topic, I'm very seriously considering the purchase of a 2002 model with 31,000 miles. I've read about the possible gear griding to look for, and the convertible latch to watch out for too. Anything else I should make special note of before spending 22K on this car? I don't believe in 'extended warranties', so I want to make sure the car is in good shape before it comes into my possession. I plan on taking it to a trusted mechanic to give it a thorough once-over. Just thought y'all might have some pointers on things to check. Thanks in advance!
  • terpfan2terpfan2 Posts: 7
    Looking at purchasing an '05 S2K and am debating whether or not to get the hartop. Anyone have one and can offer an opinion as to pros/cons? Live in Washington, DC metro area.

Thanks,

Tom
  • hello s2k forum. i am interested in purchasing an s2k soon but i want to install an indash player that has a motorized monitor. it appears that theres not enough room for operation. do any of you have a monitor or have encountered this problem? any solutions or help is greatly appreciated. VR, grant
  • I just bought my s2000 its an 01' red 50,000 miles When the top is up there is alot of wind noise where the top meets with the top of the wind shield, I was wondering if any of you veteren s2k owners know any tircks or something I can do to reduce this noise, I would appreciate any help thank
    s2kmaniac81:
    I have '01 (also red-best color!)with 22K mi that I bought used last summer. I also noticed the noise last fall when I started driving the car with the top up.

Interestingly, there is a Honda Service Bulletin about this problem #01-037. Honda recommends replacing the striker plates (metal plates located at the upper corner of the A pillars that connect to the soft top) with "hard top" strikers.
    Apparently, the hard top strikers are more substantial than the original equipment.

I have scheduled my car with the Honda dealer next week to have this work done.
    I will let you know if it takes care of the noise.
    (price quote approx. $80 for set of two and $150 labor). If this "cures" the noise, I'll be a happy camper.

In my opinion, the car needs to be driven with the top down anyway.
    Great car! Love the VTECH!!
    I just posted some photos of a supercharged S2000 built by SRM Performance in San Rafael, California in our new "Speedshop Board" here at Edmunds.

It's a very tidy installation, and the car jumped from a stock HP dyno reading of 174HP to a new dyno reading of 307HP.

Here's the link if you want to take a look.

SpeedShop Forum on Supercharged S2000