Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda S2000

Comments

• ginotginot Posts: 6
    I've had the back end of our 2K kick out of shape more than a few times--it's catchable with little drama--under heavy throttle in a corner, a trait I'm familiar with from racing days and other RWD cars.

The first thing to go on what I consider one of the greatest "fun to drive" cars I've ever driven or owned, is the set of Bridgestones under it, in favor of Goodyear GS-D3s. The D3s are stickier, wet or dry, and inspire a greater sense of confidence under cornering--much better rubber more suited to the vehicle, IMO. Of course, the B's are Japanese, so it's understandable they're standard fare.

BTW, the second thing to go are the stock speakers and maybe the radio, as well.

Otherwise, my wife--an excellent driver of performance vehicles--and I consider the 2K a quite stunning machine and plan to keep it.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    Thanks for the advice on tires. I have been wondering.

Update; I'm nearing 17k miles. I'm guessing that mileage-wise I'm in the upper echelon of MY04 owners. What's frightening is the fact that I am probably going to need my SECOND set of rear tires by the time I hit the 20k mark. I do not know if the Potenza RE050s simply don't last as long as the S02s, or if I am driving much more aggressively, but I don't recall the S02s going in 10k miles of non-racing daily driving.
  • do you do 4-wheel alignments and regular tire rotations?
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    And, if you do, that's part of your problem. The S2000 (as well as most sports cars) has different size front and rear wheels/tires that cant' be rotated front to back and unidirectional tires that should never be rotated left to right. Unless you decide to drive backwards every other rotation.

I traded my S2000 in with 18,000 miles and the original tires, although the rears were ready to be replaced.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    As habitat said, you don't do rotations on the S2000. It isn't an alignment issue, either, the tires wear uniformly.

I'm just assuming that the RE050s wear faster than the S02s did. This is a surprise to me because the Z4 uses runflat versions of these tires and I don't hear the same issue. The only other car that uses RE050s is the Enzo, and I have heard that is a different compound (but same tread pattern).
  • starrow68starrow68 Posts: 1,142
    Having spent the last year plus going to road courses and seeing lots of S2000's but very few Boxsters or S's I can say that on a road course the S2000 seems to have a pronounced advantage. When discussion at the track gets around to those two cars the Boxsters are easy to pass IMO while the S2000 with a good driver is really tough to stay close to in the corners. Only seen one Boxster S and it couldn't grade the car based on that driver. Older 911's are common at the tracks but Boxsters just don't seem to have the demographic that wants performance beyond 'fun to drive'.
  • Well must have to do with the tire compound then. Automakers do like to put sticky shoes on the cars as OEM to give you those good handling numbers. Remember how the NSX eats tires?

Also let's face it, if you are in a car like the S2000, you are going to corner aggressively and that takes its toll. I used to get only about 8K on front tires on my Saab turbo no matter which tire I used. I tried Pirelli, Bridgestone and Michelin, all about the same results.
    Now back to you - you didn't rotate your tires on the FWD Saab Turbo? I suspect that car ate tires because of poor balance and a sloppy suspension. A friend of mine had one and, although I thought it was an impressive car for the 1980's, I was amazed at how unimpressive it felt in 1995 after comparing it to my 1995 Maxima SE (not exactly a sports car, either). Although FWD, the Maxima felt much more balanced and didn't plow through the turns nearly as severely as the Saab.

I suspect with the S2000, it is indeed the softer compound. The S2000 drives about as "flat" as any car I've driven (including the NSX). You would almost have to take it to a track to get enough body roll to wear the edges of the tires. With the Saab, a quick exit from the grocery store parking lot would do the trick. My friend used to get 20k miles out of his tires with frequent rotations. Compare that to the 35-40k miles he gets out of similar driving with his 540i that has much higher performance tires than the Saab. Tires don't make up for bad suspensions and, if they try to, you pay dearly for replacements.
  • Yes I agree. Tire compounds are critical on today's sports cars. You put the wrong tires on some of today's hi-po sports cars, and they will literally fly off the road. A lot of what we attribute to the car's "handling" or "suspension" is actually in the tires. Modern tires are a sort of miracle compared to what we had to use ten years ago.
  • Just bought a '01 with 20K mi. Looks clean and service records seem complete.

Question is $1200 for a 3 yr (from dop) or 60K total miles extended warranty a good idea. Covers most things except the rag top and clutch (which would be my expectation for possible early problems).

Any responses appreciated.
    Did your 2001 S2000 have a transmission replacement or "fix"? I owned a 2002 and waited for the 2002 in part because of the glass reazr window and revised transmission design. Pre-2002's were prone to 1-2 gear grinding.

I raise this because, if it is available, I would only get the "Honda Cares" official extended warranty. Aftermarket warranties are notoriously poor at covering serious problems without a fight.

Had I elected to keep my 2002 past the 2.5 years I owned it, I was prepared to pay approximately $1,050 for a 7 year, 75k total mile warranty (I only put about 7k miles a year on it, so the 7/100 wasn't worth the extra $100 +/-). My service manager said that he even had the Honda Cares warranty agree to cover things like clutch replacement, if they occurred early in the warranty period. Not required, but Honda did so under "goodwill". You would never get that from an aftermarket warranty.

P.S. My 2002 S2000 with 18k miles was perfect and never required any repair, other than a convertible roof latch which broke in the first 30 days. I miss it!
  • I have all service records since new and reviewed the product recall/fixes for this car and don't find that Honda ever recomended any transmission fix for the '01 S2K. 6sp tranny and clutch work great.
    Have to admit the plastic rear window is cheesy for such a nice car.
    Thanks to your advice, I did get a quote on the Honda Care Warranty. The 7yr /70K mi quote was $1400 - higher than you mentioned. Maybe it's because mine is 1 yr older and 2K more miles on the odo. Some of my friends who own Hondas are talking me out of buying it, though. The S2K is a "best buy" used car according to the consumer literature.
  • toydriver: Try this for a Hondacare warranty quote.

http://www.curryhondacare.com/

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Thanks.
    Internet savings of $340 c/w dealer. Much more competitive. Did you ever have a claim with this warranty, or know of anyone who did?
    What a fun car!!
    Drove along a windy road in a river valley this afternoon. Sun drenched. Great feeling.
    Had it to 80mph with tach reading 3800. What is the top speed of this car? It is a bit noisy to push it much more - probably will soon.
  • smu1976smu1976 Posts: 110
    Quite frankly in the three plus years I have had my S2000, I have never had a Boxster S come along side me and want to race 0-60? Whats the point? I do like the style of the car though and the air spoiler that pops up on the highway.
    In addition I have never raced about 25 kids with other Honda Civics, Mitsu's Suburu's with fart pipes. I just enjoy the ride, .5 seconds isn't any big deal guys, just drive and enjoy the passage of time. Three years ago, its was pretty rare to see a S2000 on the road, but they are getting pretty popular lately.
    From Edmunds review of the 2002 S2000:

"For 2002, Honda has added a glass rear window with a defroster, an improved transmission and a more powerful audio system. There are also a handful of minor changes that only '00-'01 S2000 owners would notice, such as chrome-bezel taillights, an upgraded center console, door panel net storage pockets, a new shifter knob, an aluminum-accented foot rest and silver trim interior accents."

I'm not sure if there was any official "fix" for the 200/2001's, but my dealer replaced 2-3 pre-2002 transmissions with the newer version after they started experiencing problems. The Honda warranty covered the replacement.

Alos, 3,800 rpm at 80 mph?? Seemed to me that my 2002 would be running at 4,000+ rpm at 80 mph.
  • smu1976smu1976 Posts: 110
    In 2000 Honda announced only 5000 S2000's to be produced (or distributed in the U.S, I can't recall) in celebration of their 50th anniversary.
    In 2001 when I purhased mine, units went up to around 7-8K. Does anyone know how many S2000's are being produced or imported per annum currently? Still nice; NOT to see ads in every car magazine and T.V. spot, verus Nissan, Mazda, Porsche and Corvette, just think how many of these cars would sell if Honda wanted to up production at 33K. I know that S2000 and Acura NSX share the same factory and production capabilities are limited for both cars.

People still ask me,"What kind of car is that?" When I tell them, they say, I never knew Honda made such a thing, but not quite frequently as back in 2001.
  • Honda is so secretive it's hard to find much information. The latest information I read about S2000 production (and I can't recall where I read it) was that around 14,000 S2000's were produced each year and 9,000 to 10,000 of those were imported into the U.S.

You are right about the car being well below radar. Whenever I mention to someone that I am scheming to obtain an S2000, they don't know what I am talking about.

OhioCarGuy
  • I've always loved the S2000, so when I was in Vegas over the weekend I rented one for the day. It was a Spa yellow 2003. This car was everything I imagined and more! What a blast!

My wife and I took it to Hoover dam, and then took a great road north of Lake Mead to the Valley of Fire state park. With fresh blacktop, plenty of twisties and very little traffic, I couldn't get the grin off my face the entire trip.

The VTEC kick at 6,000 rpm reminds me of my CBR sportbike. The car really is a sportbike on four wheels. When I went to the gas station, it took me a good 5 minutes to find the fuel door release! That little black button in the door jamb wasn't easy to find.

Even though the rental cost was more than twice what I would have paid for a convertible Mustang, it was still a bargain to me. I would really like to own one, but with two kids under the age of 5, it's just not practical at this time. Sure was a fun 24 hours though!
    When I bought my 2002 Spa Yellow S2000 (as a third car), my daughters were 3 & 6. When I traded it earlier this year, they were 6 & 9. Not a S2000 goes by us (especially a yellow one)that they don't both let out a load moan about how much fun ours WAS! I'd occassionally take them both back and forth from school on quiet side streets and by the time my oldest was 8, I could take her on short errands or to soccer games. Never broke about 25-30 mph, but she could care less about the speed.

Unfortunately, the S2000 wasn't practical as MY only car and I could justify keeping it when it came time to replace my sedan. But, depending upon where you live, it's not completely incompatible with kids. Unfortunately, the the 4 passenger convertible that everyone can (temporarily) fit in - the 911 Turbo - costs about $100,000 more than the S2000 and it still doesn't elicit the same admiration from my 6 year old.

At least you got to try one out for a day. I think when I look back in 10 years, I might have wished I somehow kept mine. There isn't much comparable in the fun to drive department, certainly not at the price or with Honda reliability.