Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Silverado Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• That's not BS at all. Dealers can and do sell new trucks at > 20% discounts every day.

Think about it:

There's $3,500 in incentives on some Silverado models.

Add $1,500 in instant value coupons.

With those discounts, you're at ~17% off a 30K MSRP (without negotiating a single penny off the MSRP). To get to your "AT BEST" 20% discount, they only need to knock $1,000 off MSRP (nowhere near invoice, forget about invoice minus holdback minus MFG-dealer incentives).

I'm not sure where you get your 'going rate' values, but I'm afraid you're misinformed.

When I bought my 04 Silverado, I got over 45% off MSRP. To be fair, $994 of that was GM Card earnings, and $1,500 was a GMAC bonus (not currently offered), so I wouldn't expect that sort of discount off an 05 (without the GM Card). The equivalent deal right now (without the extra incentives) would be:

$16,506 (Price paid)

+$1,500 (GMAC bonus)

+$994 (GM Card $)

=$19,000 (~37% discount).
  • cmwcmw Posts: 1
    We are interested in replacing our diesel F250HD that we use for snowplowing and towing a horse trailer/boat. I can't seem to find any of the Chevy Silverado's with a diesel that take a snowplow package. Is this just not an option? We really want the diesel engine.
  • jcchevyjcchevy Posts: 13
    Hi all,

In follow-up to a discussion I wrote 12-24-04, I went ahead and confirmed some 04 Silverado prices.

I had looked and test drove 04 Silverado Z71 Crew cab (standard 1500), 05 Cilv Crew Cab Z71, 04 Ford F150 Crew Cab, 04 Nissan Titan Crew, and 05 Toyota Tundra Double Cab.

Prices the dealers were selling these for, as of Dec 31, 2004 were as follows (all bottom lines):

04 Chevy Silv Z71, Crew Cab, standard 1500, 28,919 - taking all factory rebates, incentive, and bonus cash and financing at 6.9% for 5 years. Truck came with standard bucket seats, cloth, Bose speakers, z71 package, tow, package, side steps. No XM FM radio or sunroof.

2005 Chevy Silv Z71, Crew Cab, standard 1500, 30775 - taking all factory rebates, incentive, and bonus cash and financing at 6.9% for 5 years. Truck came with standard bucket seats, cloth, Bose speakers, z71 package, tow, package, no side steps AND XM FM radio AND sunroof. Silver in color.

04 Ford f150 XLT crew cab - 5.4 L V8, moonroof, tow, bed liner, bucket seats, cloth, 29,500 taking all incentives, bonus cash etc. and financiving for 60 months at 7%.

04 Titan Crew Cab, SE, 29990 - taking discounts, bonus cash, rebates, etc, and financing for around 6.9%, 60 months. Included tow, off road, bedliner and a few extras.

05 - Toyoato Tundra Double Cab SR5 - 31000, taking current rebate of $1250 (or maybe $1500 - I can't remember) and financing around 6.9% for 60 months. Included tow pkg and all standard SR5 features with only thing missing was the moonroof.

Lot's of pretty good deals out there for these full size trucks.

Take care.

jcchevy
    Hi all,

In follow-up to a discussion I wrote 12-24-04, I went ahead and confirmed some 04 Silverado prices.

I had looked and test drove 04 Silverado Z71 Crew cab (standard 1500), 05 Cilv Crew Cab Z71, 04 Ford F150 Crew Cab, 04 Nissan Titan Crew, and 05 Toyota Tundra Double Cab.

Prices the dealers were selling these for, as of Dec 31, 2004 were as follows (all bottom lines):

04 Chevy Silv Z71, Crew Cab, standard 1500, 28,919 - taking all factory rebates, incentive, and bonus cash and financing at 6.9% for 5 years. Truck came with standard bucket seats, cloth, Bose speakers, z71 package, tow, package, side steps. No XM FM radio or sunroof.

2005 Chevy Silv Z71, Crew Cab, standard 1500, 30775 - taking all factory rebates, incentive, and bonus cash and financing at 6.9% for 5 years. Truck came with standard bucket seats, cloth, Bose speakers, z71 package, tow, package, no side steps AND XM FM radio AND sunroof. Silver in color.

04 Ford f150 XLT crew cab - 5.4 L V8, moonroof, tow, bed liner, bucket seats, cloth, 29,500 taking all incentives, bonus cash etc. and financiving for 60 months at 7%.

04 Titan Crew Cab, SE, 29990 - taking discounts, bonus cash, rebates, etc, and financing for around 6.9%, 60 months. Included tow, off road, bedliner and a few extras.

05 - Toyoato Tundra Double Cab SR5 - 31000, taking current rebate of $1250 (or maybe $1500 - I can't remember) and financing around 6.9% for 60 months. Included tow pkg and all standard SR5 features with only thing missing was the moonroof.

Take care.

jcchevy
    Hi all,

Take care.

jcchevy
    Hi,

I forgot to include some addl info on my prior posting:

1. MSRP on 04 Silv z71 Crew cab - 37,638

2. MSRP on 05 Silverado Crew Cab Z71 - $39,795

3. MSRP on 04 Titan - $35310

4. MSRP on 05 Tundra - $34110

Just curious to all you reading this message.

1. Which truck would you purchase?

2. I'm looking for best resale value and Toyota came in first, then Titan, then Chevy, then Ford. Anybody have any add'l infor or comments?

thanks,

jcchevy

Prior posting:

Hi all,

Take care.

jcchevy
  • Instant value coupons of $1,500? What are you talking about here? As for your price you said you received on an 04', I'm talking about an 05' model. Sure you got a GREAT deal on an 04', so did everyone else around Oct. or so. For the dealers were up to their eyeballs in vehicles and GM threw every incentive one can imagine to "move" their bloated inventories.
  • I was looking at a Chevy truck recently and the instant value coupons are still available. The dealer offered 3 (@ $500 each) towards an 04 or an 05 truck. Furthermore, the GM Card/GM just offered me $1,500 in GM loyalty dollars towards a new 04 or 05 (won't apply to everyone, but it's a nice bonus).

I did get a good deal on an 04, (with GM incentives and the dealer's desire to move a stale leftover at a minimal profit, or even a loss?). Dealers are less motivated to move an 05 now (at the beginning of a model year) but the GM incentives are as good on a new 05 they were on my leftover 04.

I don't assume that you'll get an October-November type deal now, but I'm certain they'll do better that 20% off of the bloated MSRP.
  • Thanks for your input. And will do my best NOT to pay any more than I have to for a new 05'. The instant value coupons still elude me however. NO dealer has offered or even acknowledge they exist. Ditto with internet quotes. The 20% OFF sticker is about as good as any dealer has offered (internet as well as in person) me on a $36K+ 4WD truck so far.
  • Jerry,

Do you currently own a GM? If so, the $1,500 loyalty rebate should help.

Do you insist on a 2005? There's still some 2004 models in/around Massachusetts (not sure about where you're located). If you think that the deals were good in October, they should be even better now.

Unless you need a gas-electric hybrid or a factory sunroof, a 2004 model would do (if you can find one with your color/equipment requirements - not many to choose from now).

The other differences (on the 1/2 ton models) are:

Larger wheels on the 05 (could be added to an 04).

Dual electric fans - vs. engine driven (not sure this is an improvement).

04 actually had a better standard gear ratio than the 05 (3.73 vs. 3.42).

One model (ext cab, std bed) offers the aluminum (& slightly more powerful) 5.3 (most of the early 05s have the cast iron motor though). I've driven both and can't tell the difference.
  • If what you mean by larger wheels is that the 2005's have the option of 17" wheels, then that's also available on the 2004's. (Ask how I know ;o) ).

The electric fans are supposed to allow for slightly better fuel efficiency among other things. It's an upgrade some owners of earlier models are doing to their own vehicles. (there are companies that offer aftermarket electric fan kits for our trucks)

Not only is the 3.73 no longer standard on the 2005's, it isn't even available on them any more. I was shocked that the '05's couldn't be bought with that rear end any longer. Another attempt to push the mileage higher I think.
  • I guess I was referring to the standard and optional steel wheels (they're 17" this year).

Too bad about the non-availability of the 3.73 gears. Now it really makes sense to spring for the 4.10 gears (they're still available).
  • THANKS MUCH again Joe, I do own an 02' Seville I bought new at the end of that model year. A $7K rebate induced me to buy it. GOOD CAR. I have NOT checked the new incentives, if they exist, seeing how the old one's expired 1/03/2005. Once again I'll keep hammering away here outside of Chicago, if I can find my driveway later on tonight as I return home from work that is. That 4WD would sure come in handy tonight for we're supposed to get 8+ inches of that white stuff. THANKS.
  • I missed the fact that the 17" wheels were standard on the 1/2 tons before. I'm not sure whether that's good or not, but it is most likely because the rest of the full size competition has moved the same direction.

I have the 17's on my '04 and it rides pretty good, but I know from experience with the '03 Trailblazer I had before that the 16's actually rode better, at least on that vehicle. The larger wheels look better to me though.
  • slramsslrams Posts: 4
    I am ordering a 2005 Chevy 2500HD Duramax 2WD Crew Cab. I'm located in Central Calif. and a dealer and I have come to an agreement on the selling price on a Duramax Diesel. I will be ordering this vehicle from the dealer with an MSRP price of $42,271 and the final selling price is $37,700. The price does not include any rebates or incentive/discounts available at the time of delivery. This is a 10.8 % discount from MSRP. Other dealers were averaging about 7% below MSRP. After 4 weeks of negotiations with several dealers this seems to be the best deal I could get. One dealer in Bakersfield would not sell at -9.5% on a truck he had on his lot. Said they are to popular a truck to let go that cheap. I'm wondering if this a good price for a Duramax Diesel???

Thank you in advance for your input.

Go Rams!
  • I am getting ready (within 3 months) to trade in my current lease 2003 2500hd LB work truck and I am looking at the 2005 2500HD Ext Cab SB LS with auto trans. Dealers in my area have these trucks on their lots and it appears the MSRP will be $35500. I know I will not pay this but I am wondering just how low I should realistically expect the dealers to go. I am looking to go through GM's smart buy program. This will be the third 2500 for me and I am willing to walk from my current dealer if they will mot work with me. I realize incentives and rebates change but what percentage can I expect off the MSRP before any additional discounts etc?

I live in central NY
  • annekoopannekoop Posts: 1
    I am in Bfield and wonder which dealer you eventually went with. I am looking for a 2005 Extended Cab Silverado LS, shortbed, 2wd, Diesel. I don't like the hassle of this dealership and that.....even w/so-called Costco/Sam's Club deals.
  • brushbrush Posts: 1
    I have a chance to buy a 2004 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab Short Bed 4x4 truck, 8.1L engine and Allison automatic transmission, the truck has 8,000 miles on it, the truck has been rebuilt and has a "rebuilt title." I can buy the truck for $22,000.00 U.S. cash. Is a rebuilt title the same as a clean and clear title? Should I consider a deduction for the rebuilt title? Also do new car dealers accept a rebuilt title for trade in on a new truck?
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,676
    You should ask in our Any Questions for a Car Dealer? discussion - but most will urge you NOT to buy a vehicle with a re-built title. Members in that discussion can give you better advice.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,676
    A reporter with a national magazine is hoping to talk with a consumer who took advantage of a 24-hour test drive or other extended vehicle test opportunity (including a car rental) and subsequently bought a car similar to the one s/he tested. If you have a story to share, please submit it to jfallon@edmunds.com along with your daytime contact info no later than Wednesday, March 9, 2005.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.