Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Silverado 1/2 Ton Crew Cab

lonestartjlonestartj Posts: 25
edited March 23 in Chevrolet
Who all is interested in the new 1/2 ton crew cab Silverado, due to be released after the first of the year? Chevrolet may have finally got it right and decided to compete head to head with the Ford SuperCrew. I think it will definitely fit the bill for those of us who are turned off by the Avalanche's looks. I've been considering the new Colorado, but this 1/2 ton crew looks like a winner.

Comments

• Been waiting for GM to come out with this for a while. I count not wait to unload my 00 LT ext cab Z71 for a 03 LT ext cab Z71. I put about 45K on a year these days. I sell and buy new at 90K so in another two years I will be ready to buy the new crew. I saw the truck it looks good.
  • From the specs I have seen on the Internet at http://media.gm.com/division/2004_prodinfo/chevrolet/trucks/pdf/04_Chevy_Silverado.pdf, this thing is foot longer than the existing EXT cab It has basically the same dimensions as the 1500HD except that it comes with a 5'8" cargo box, This thing weighs a full 1000 pounds more than the existing ext cab and only comes with the 5.3. I would have loved the four door but this is just too much weight to carry around town all the time. As much as I hate the suicide doors on the EXT cab I just got an 03 Z71 Silverado.
  • ghislain, not sure why that link you posted shows a 237 inch overall length and 153 inch wheelbase, but http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/ shows it as having a 225.9" overall length and 143" wheelbase, right at the size of the EXT cab. I hope the smaller dimensions are correct, since they came from the Chevy website in their promo, but who knows. Don't know about the weight. If the wheelbase and length are the same as the ext. cab, I can't imagine it would weigh more than 300 or so lbs more than the ext. cab. Wish they did offer the 4.8 though, at least in the 2wd version. 285hp would be enough, that's a lot more than the Ford 4.6 in the SuperCrew.
  • The 1500HD was WAY TOO BIG to use as an every day truck. This 1500 crew cab is suppose to be the same size as an extended cab with a 6' bed. The only option in a Chevy to the Ford SCREW cab is the Avalanch and that thing is a toy IMO.

I'm planning on a stop to my dealer soon to see when I can get one on order.
  • 500sks500sks Posts: 1
    When will ordering info be at the dealers? Can anybody help on this.
  • I was contacted by my dealer today and advised that my order could now be taken. I ordered a Silverado 1500 Crew Cab in Z71 style. The dealer did not have the price list available though.
  • I talked to one dealer who said he has no pricing or ordering info. I also got an e-mail from another who says c'mon in and order one now. I'm ready to sell my 2001 LS, Ext Cab Z71 and buy the 2004 1500 Crew Cab, Z71. I'm hoping rebates and current dealer discounts will still apply on the 1500 crew cabs. If so, I'll order one within a week. Does anybody have any info. as to how GM is discounting these?
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Posts: 1,031
    It's hardly a winner. Outdated interior, marginal crash tests scores, weak base engine, and quality/reliability issues make it a flop. No doubt it will sell though. I'm just waiting for the restyling of the either 06 or 07 Silverado.
  • ssmilesssmiles Posts: 35
    My dealer called me yesterday regarding my order I placed back on December 15th. He advised me mine had a "target production date" of 2/9/04. I know they are building them at the Oshawa, Ontario plant. the GM media website states the first ones should begin arriving at dealerships by the end of January. I suppose mine will come in late February. Dealer did not have any info on GM incentives as of yet.
  • I really want one of these, but I fear ordering without seeing one. Just wondering if anyone has seen one or better yet driven one.
  • ssmilesssmiles Posts: 35
    Stanwict..I saw the Z71 version of it and sat in it at the LA Auto Show at the beginning of this month. It was identical to any other Silverado Crew Cab on the inside. The bed was the difference at only 5ft 8inches. Big enough for me, but perhaps not all folks. The overall length is infact the same size as the current extended cab short boxes, so it will fit in my garage:)
  • I put a 100$ down on a Z71 crew cab on Saturday. My dealer says it will go in as part of their allotment order and should arrive late Feb. or early March (faster turn around than normal order). I have a buyer for my 01 Ext. Cab lined up. I'll post again after it comes in.
  • My dealer called me today. He advised me that my crew cab has been built as of 2/3/04 and provided me with its vin number. It has been shipped with an expected arrival date of 2/12/04.
  • You're getting close now. Let us know your impressions after you get a few miles on it.
  • My dealer called me today and said they were backing my Z71 Crew Cab off the carrier truck as we spoke. I gotta wait till next week to pick it up though. It's getting Rhinoliner sprayed in the bed.
  • I took delivery of my crew cab on the evening of 2/18/04 at Cormier Chevrolet in Long Beach, CA. Total cost including taxes was $41788. I purchased a black Z71 model, which was loaded with everything except for the DVD player and engine block heater. Included in the price were two items that were dealer installed..a lockable hard tonneau cover and rhino liner. Lots of $$ for a truck, but at least I got the 0% financing for 5 years and took off a few more dollars from the above price ($1617 GM card rebate + $600 freebie add-on to the cards rebate in a promotional letter I received on 2/13/04).

The buying experience was pleasant. The vehicle was not missing anything and seems to have a quality build (although its a bit early to judge that). I love the XM Satellite Radio. I am also impressed with the power from the 5300 V8 (I have the 4:10 gears).
  • Well they finally hit Houston. The one I drove was a Z71 with the LT package. The sticker was $40,168 (this included Delaer installed tubular side steps at a cost of $435). They are offering to sell me this truck at invoice! Total price $35,831 + tt&l. They are also offering $2500 cash back OR 0% interest for 60 mos. I am still trying to decide if now is the right time for me to make a move and but a new truck.

I will let yall know what I decide.
  • Just out of curiosity what makes this critter worth $40,000 plus for a 1/2 ton truck?
  • $40,000 plus is for loaded up crew cabs. That seems to be the norm for what is hitting the showrooms first. It's also prior to rebates and dealer discounts. I think actual price difference between comparably equipped Ext. Cabs and Crew Cabs is $1700 - $1800. You make the call if the price difference is right for you. My dealer is letting me order one for invoice + destination + adv. costs. Will arrive early March. Will still apply $2500 rebate plus GM card earnings. So, $30,000 plus crew cabs are out there.
  • Geez,

I forgot to mention my $40K+ price included the black tubular style running boards and a zero deductible 5 year / 75K mile GMPP warranty. It makes me feel a little better when I add this :)
This discussion has been closed.