Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

od/on -off light flashing!

jus4jasjus4jas Posts: 29
edited March 23 in Ford
help three days ago my od-on/off panel light starting flashing and when I push th ebutton in it won't turn off,only does it after I have driven a couple of miles.turn the truck off and back on its gone! Also noticed the transmission is slipping ( I think) because it jerks into the next gear,I have to almost floor it to get speed in order to merdge?The fluid level is not low could it be the filter needs changed? its a 2000 explorer just bought it AUG.13TH!!! the check engine light has come on for the second time? any suggestions, can I still drive it until I can get an appointment ? HELP

SINCERELY
jus4jas

Comments

• zueslewiszueslewis Posts: 2,353
    of a failing transmission or transmission control component - it may not be the transmission itself, but the TCM or PCM that controls all the input.

Get it in quick, or have it towed - it may strand you.

Not trying to be a killjoy here, just being honest.
  • thanks ZUESLEWIS for your quick reply! but what is TCM-PCM?Is this something I can have my mechanic look into himself or can I? Sorry to ask this but I'm a single mom just trying to save money and I have no other means of transportation and I need to be at work espeically since "Isabel hit" any thing I can do to ease the stress on my transmission until I can get it into the shop by Thursday? I keep turning the od-off when IT LETS ME and I don't floor the gas pedal when I need the speed I just let it get to the power I need in its own time. Sorry to go on & on but I'm just really concerned now, any ideas on the cost I could be looking at?

again thanks
    jus4jas
    TCM is the Transmission Control Module and the ECM is the Engine Control Module. Your vehicle also has a PCM (Powertrain Control Module) that sort of translates for the two other units.

I've seen O/D light trouble codes lead to just a wiring repair or a faulty control module.

It doesn't have to be an internal failure to cause issues - your transmission may be fine, but is getting told to do something stupid by a faulty control module.

I don't think there's a "stress" issue to be concerned with - if it IS an internal problem, all the soft toe driving there is won't change things much.
  • thanks again ZUESLEWIS! I will have it checked out asap! Hope its just a small jobcause I really love my truck!I'll try and post whe I have the answer.

many thanks
    jus4jas
  • Hi again ZUESLEWIS,
    had the car towed back to the dealer just this morning! Will get an update by Friday ugh! Oh well at least its in their hands! will keep you posted !I barely made it home last night, couldn't get the speed even with my foot to the floor it just dragged on?

many thanks!
    jus4jas
    Doesn't sound good, but again, could be a control module.

What's your warranty situation?
  • Zueslewis--Warranty ? Well I had only a 30 day warranty ( I know ) BUT! the thing is I called the dealership WAY before it was to expire but they NEVER called me back to schedule the service.I sent 3-e-mails & left several messages .when I didn't get any call back I wrote a letter to the companies corporate office ( still within the warranty time) & I stated that loudly in my letter -BINGO! when I still didn't get a reply from the corporate office I sent them an e-mail explaining that my attorney advised me to try one more time before he proceeds, and I went one better I told them that were I live they have a local news station that does stories for consumers on fraud i/e and that I would make sure this story was told because I would make it my lifes work to let EVERYONE KNOW about their "shoddy service department" quote: "you make a person happy they tell 10 people-you "ticked them off they tell the world!! Anyway after that e-mail within HOURS & I mean hours someone from the dealership contacted me at my home after 7pm & stated they received my letter
    (imagine that) anyway they told me to have the truck towed,if I needed a loaner let them know and they would take care of my truck!! I said "bout time" and I don't plan on paying a dime whether its a simple fix or a "shot trans" I will not accept a bandaid" how's that? Sorry so long but I will let you know,again many thanks!!!

jus4jas
    and TV coverage IS NOT the way to get someone to do you a favor...whether you consider it a favor or not - you're dealing with a human element - don't go out of your way to slam them.
  • zueslewis,
    sorry didn't mean to come off so strong! its just that I don't want to be taken for granted AGAIN! I feel that I have tried in vain to get service and I WAS IGNORED until I shouted! you know I once worked for an attorney who told me something over 15 years ago & I've never forgotten it "he who yells the loudest gets heard" so I used that term? look I'm a single woman and I just feel I have to keep my guard up ( so to speak) because I have in the past be taken for granted when I was dealing with something in the "man's world" excuse the expression please but I just won't lie down quietly with out a fight! maybe if I could explain "everything" this dealership has "jerked me through you would understand like the last time I had service for the "check engine light coming on,the service idiot told me "just put a piece of tape of it if it bothers you" HELLO !!!
    would you? Now maybe you can see why my feathers are a little ruffeled.I admire you compassion for the "human element " and all but there is more to this story--haven't you ever been taken for a ride sorta speaking ? anyway I'll keep you posted,by the way I fully understand the line "you catch more bee's with honey" I'll remember to use as my last attempt to get satisfaction.

sincerely
    jus4jas
    I can't post it here, but it involves the lawfirm I work for - e-mail if you'd like.
  • Zueslewis,
    i posted a reply this morning but for some reason it didn't take? anyway i also tried to send you an e-mail & that didn't take think my computer is tired? anyway now I'm curious as to your story please e-mail me @jln0514@hotmail.com when you can.my truck was sent to a transmission shop ? the owner called me about whether or not i purchased the extended warranty --doesn't sound good i explained my entire story and than he said well they have a program called "customer care" and he believes i'm fully qualified & he will do what he can to get this problem covered? i'm praying now BIG TIME! will wait for your e-mail.

sincerely
    jus4jas
  • jus4jasjus4jas Posts: 29
    Zueslewis,
    well I just received a phone call from the dealer who said that they were going to take care of the problem for me in FULL! said he believed that the tranny had to be re-built and that they were going to cover me under the "customer care program" because I have had the truck under six months! WOOPE! now what should I ask for concerning the problem (just in case) god forbid it happens again-he also stated that explorers are known for the tranny problem especially in the older models ,my is a 2000 I asked him than why would you sell them? anyway I had to ask course I didnt get or expect an answer-lol so how did I do? I'm still keeping a diary of dates ,calls conversations i.e again -just in case!

sincerely
    jus4jas
    just keep your repair order copies and notes on who you talked to..

Fords, in general, have transmission issues. In my line of work, I see Ford transmission cases all the time.

The dealer sells them because they're a Ford dealer - not much they can do about it except deal with what comes up.
    YES! it is good news but? I have learned from other people that a "re-built" tranny normally only comes with a 30 day guarantee? so basically I'm right back were I started from aren't I? I don't mean to sound or come off as so neigative but wouldn't you feel just as nervous about driving it? When they call me to come pick it up
    continued--sorry hit the wrong button I hate when that happens but as I was saying-I'm not sure what paper work they will give me I plan on "demanding" an explanation written that is of what was done and replaced as well as a warranty,because if they "sorta speak" did the banaid treatment I would than want to apply for help under the lemon law.Really I would just rather have them take it back being that I started having these major issues six days after the purchase,but than again do I have a leg to stand on? thanks again for your reply.

sincerely
    jus4jas
    YES! it is good news but? I have learned from other people that a "re-built" tranny normally only comes with a 30 day guarantee? so basically I'm right back were I started from aren't I? I don't mean to sound or come off as so neigative but wouldn't you feel just as nervous about driving it? When they call me to come pick it up
  • swschradswschrad Posts: 2,171
    all the rest are rebuilts. that's how it's done. it isn't going to change.

but the new one is remanufactured to factory specs and does carry a limited warranty, so if it was dropped on the dock and munged up, it will fail real early and be replaced for you.

I can assure you that if you buy replacement headlight bulbs or spark plugs at the dealer, those are indeed new, but won't last forever, either.

trannies are more expensive and vexing when they fail, but what you're getting is better than what you had now. and you're getting it free thanks to customer care, which works for now.

drive like you paid for it, and you have a good chance it will be OK. if not, stuff happens and we die, but not today and not from this, and you get another chance to get a good one.

not a great answer, but not a lie.

the 5-speed auto trannies with the V8s and trailer packages in SUVs and trucks seem to do better than ford's 4-speed autos, and one would think Ford would get their act together because this is common knowledge, but only time will tell.
    swschsad
    yes you may be correct and I may luckey because they also sent me a letter advising me that because of all my trouble they are going to extend my warranty until dec.31.2003,however I still wonder if I will get the breakdown on what was fixe,replaced i.e ? I ve requested it three times but I'm told we forgot but we will get it for you? I'm to pick up the truck tonight so before I sign anything am I being to unreasonable to request that again? thats all I'm saying hear.

thanks for your input
    jus4jas
This discussion has been closed.